Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Master Fan

The Everwood Rewatch Fest: "The Miracle of Everwood" (S1, Ep. 19)

We'll keep this up for one week and then go on to the next episode. After you've watched the episode, you can comment on it anyway you'd like, big or small. You can focus on certain characters, scenes, quotes, or the episode as a whole. You can tie the episode to the rest of the series, or comment about it as a self-contained episode. It's all up to you! You can always give your thoughts after the one week period, as all rewatch threads will stay open for more thoughts and anymore discussion. Thanks!

The Miracle of Everwood

Written By: Michael Green
Directed By: Arlene Sanford

Quote:
Original Air Date—21 April 2003
Although Amy and Bright are still living in denial regarding the state of Colin's recovery, Ephram can't ignore the bad signs any longer after he witnesses Colin freaking out and vandalizing the gym teacher's office. Meanwhile, a New York Magazine reporter pays a visit to Dr. Brown in hopes of uncovering the truth behind why the famed surgeon is still living in Everwood; and Delia decides to secretly spend the night in the Museum of History while on a school field trip.
Imdb

If you haven't already, please feel free to comment on our previous episodes:

The Pilot
The Great Doctor Brown
Friendly Fire
The Kissing Bridge
Deer God
The Doctor Is In
We Hold These Truths
Till Death Do Us Part
Turf Wars
Is There a Doctor in the House?
A Thanksgiving Tale
Vegetative State
The Price of Fame
Colin the Second
Snow Job
My Funny Valentine
Everwood Confidential
The Unveiling
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Addicted Fan

I listed that as one of my favorite eisodes once, didn't I? I might have to rewatch it after all... and find my thoughts on it, if I already wrote some down... where did we do those lists of our favorite episodes again?
Abomasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abomasum (View Post)
I listed that as one of my favorite eisodes once, didn't I? I might have to rewatch it after all... and find my thoughts on it, if I already wrote some down... where did we do those lists of our favorite episodes again?
I believe it was this thread....page 2. I'm going to bump up the thread.

http://www.fanforum.com/f104/writers...32/index2.html
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Thank you. But that wasn't it. We had actual lists once... starting with the 5 best episodes of season one, then two, three and four (I only had season one)... or did I dream that up?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm sure you didn't dream that up! Does anyone else remember?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Master Fan

I can't believe that I am coming in here with the memory save. It was in the first Episode Discussion thread. Here's the page where you write about "The Miracle of Everwood", Leo: http://www.fanforum.com/f104/episode...56/index2.html
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 09-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Addicted Fan

I found it! Right at the beginning of the first Episode Discussion Thread! http://www.fanforum.com/f104/episode...56/index2.html

From 10-10-2008 1:32 AM (in my time zone):

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself
The Miracle of Everwood - I'm not sure why I like this one so much, but I compared it to the other episodes again and somehow, this one has the most impact on my heart, it's just a tiny bit more, but it still is a bit. Colin's fear, sadness and anger about not being able to be who he was, how it burst out of him breaking him even more.. it's so... sad and touching... and so beautiful.
And so ironic. The more he's trying to be the old Colin, the worse it gets, because the pressure is... much too big for him, making him even more instable. He's trying so hard, he wants to be normal again so badly and not being able to make it is tearing him apart... it's tearing me apart too...
And nobody, not even he himself, wants to see and not at all accept that he can't be what they want him to be, he has to be their miracle, because we all need one once in a while and he wants to be just that, keep pretending... it's all just so sad.
ETA: Yeah, 'Tos was faster! I knew that would happen.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Leo and 'Tos.....you two are younger than me!! Of course your memory is going to be better.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Leo and 'Tos.....you two are younger than me!! Of course your memory is going to be better.
Yeah, but this is me we're talking about, hee.

Glad you got it, Leo.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I think this was the episode where I realized that Colin was already "dead" in so many ways. He was sadly just a shell of his former self here. I mean, it is proof, IMO, that while he survived the crash, he only survived it in that his vital organs were still functioning and he was essentially alive in the technical sense but, really, the minute he crashed in that truck with Bright, he truly did pass away right then and there because as we see in an episode like this it was the beginning of the "official" end for him. It was very sad. I had my issues with Colin, surely, but they were pre accident Colin for the most part (even if we saw very little but it was enough for me to make my opinion on him as a whole) but this episode I knew the guy was destined for a fate that just wasn't going to go his way. Very sad, very real, and very Everwood.
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
I think this was the episode where I realized that Colin was already "dead" in so many ways. He was sadly just a shell of his former self here. I mean, it is proof, IMO, that while he survived the crash, he only survived it in that his vital organs were still functioning and he was essentially alive in the technical sense but, really, the minute he crashed in that truck with Bright, he truly did pass away right then and there because as we see in an episode like this it was the beginning of the "official" end for him. It was very sad. I had my issues with Colin, surely, but they were pre accident Colin for the most part (even if we saw very little but it was enough for me to make my opinion on him as a whole) but this episode I knew the guy was destined for a fate that just wasn't going to go his way. Very sad, very real, and very Everwood.
I agree with everything you said. 100%. I never disliked Colin like you did, hee, and I think one of the main reasons was because deep down I knew his fate was a dark one. You could sense it. Not just because of the actual crash either. The way Berlanti wrote the Colin story it had this aura of sadness to it. For that reason I could not dislike him because I knew his story was not ending well. But you are so right on, Mitch, about this episode speaking so loudly towards his terrible fate. You just saw the walls closing in on him. It was never about a struggle that he could possibly recover from... it was always about a struggle that was never going to let up until the very end.
CRFEUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:24 AM
New Fan

Yo, I'm back for a little bit and all I gotta say is:

Imagine Everwood Season 5 - Ephram and Bright still room together but... uh oh! their new roommate - ARNIE!
why does this kid not get more EW screen? HE'S the MIRACLE of everwood.

I'm going to look for this kid on Google... I wouldn't be surprised if he grew up to be that star kid on "High School Musical" or another celebrity teenager Vampire.

Colin opinion
I'm really glad I didn't start EW until S2. To be honest, I can't find anything appealing about the amy/colin story and it really takes up 60% of S1. I could never buy into the "angry coma teenager" bit... it just never made sense to me why he always freaked out instead of being grateful for being conscious.

"I'M NOT LIKE THAT!!!!" = irony at it's finest... hah
Not that I don't agree with the opinions posted below... it's just I didn't start from episode 1 so I don't sympathize with the character even THOUGH it is a SAD and TOUCHING story.

Miracle on Everwood Street
Let's not forget the real miracle on Everwood Street: Andy's relationship with his son. Well, I agree Colin waking up is a miracle within itself but the more interesting one is Andy/Ephram's story.

/end rant
see ya'll in a month... i'll be away from technology for awhile!

- Thanh (a dude)
ChibiT89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Colin opinion
I'm really glad I didn't start EW until S2. To be honest, I can't find anything appealing about the amy/colin story and it really takes up 60% of S1. I could never buy into the "angry coma teenager" bit... it just never made sense to me why he always freaked out instead of being grateful for being conscious.

"I'M NOT LIKE THAT!!!!" = irony at it's finest... hah
Not that I don't agree with the opinions posted below... it's just I didn't start from episode 1 so I don't sympathize with the character even THOUGH it is a SAD and TOUCHING story

See that opinion that you posted above? That's my exact opinion! Just don't tell 'Tos. He really liked Colin.

Seriously, I can sympathize with Amy and her mourning (whatever)...but here she had Ephram right there in front of her....and he was crazy about her! That would have snapped me out of my depression.

Quote:
Imagine Everwood Season 5 - Ephram and Bright still room together but... uh oh! their new roommate - ARNIE!
why does this kid not get more EW screen? HE'S the MIRACLE of everwood
Can you imagine?!? Let's say that Arnie turned out to be some boy genius (like Doogie Houser...excuse sp) and he was skipped several grades. Bright and Ephram are in the dorm room waiting and speculating about who the third roomate is...and in Arnie walks! I would just love to see the expressions on Ephram and Bright's faces....priceless.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Master Fan

Well, the Andy/Delia scene in her room pretty much sums up this episode: "Stories aren't like life" "I wish they were." "Me too."

Hee, I figured this episode would call an end to any of the even remotely positive comments towards Colin. He's all cocky and jerky in this one, plain and simple. Crazy Colin makes his full debut after small cameos previously. In this episode, it's clear that some of his disturbing actions like trashing the office and attacking Bright (more iffy when it comes to Ephram) are a result of the various brain chips in his head, but in the principal's office and many other moments, it's also obvious that he's also just being an asshat as well. He's got a hilarious sense of entitlement now. From mocking being "the bomb" and wondering if people like him and not fitting in at all, he now wants everyone to worship him. So, I get where everyone's coming from on Colin, BELIEVE ME. I dislike him here as much as ya'll do. I just like him a lot more than most do before this episode (well, not "The Unveiling" either, actually) and I also like him A LOT more than most people do in "Home". But I'm with you all on this one, 100%! I want to punch him in the face when he gets Amy out of class to "play hooky for the rest of the afternoon" or when he gets this smirk on his face when he realizes that he's getting out of trashing an office without even a slap on the wrist.

I do sympathize with Colin to an extent in this one, though. His, "Let go of me!!" and the look on his face when he realizes what he's done to Bright after nailing him...it's sad stuff. He is deteriorating at a rapid rate, and his mind, well, ain't right. But most of his jackassery in this one is all Colin. I'm not sure about where his "They're just trying to get between us" line is from. It appears to be partly from his cockiness, and partly from the effects of his mind deteriorating. But it also appears to be about insecurity and fear. He knows that he's not fine, and he's afraid of being alone and having to face that reality by himself. See? This is why I end up liking Colin overall as a character even with this episode. I can justify THAT comment, hee. Seriously, Michelle hit it already. He really has become Colin the Second in this one. His brain is breaking down, and that is controlling many of his actions. The other half? Well, that's just the remaining sane parts of Colin believing his own hype.

This is the first time I've noticed this, but why the hell is Ephram in the principal's office with Colin anyway? Everyone saw what happened. Ephram was there two seconds previous to everyone else coming in. Forced way to get the tension between him and Colin started.

Okay, I hate Delia's teacher, but she's got some great lines in this one. Like making the kid to stop reading in her classroom, or the "not until high school" to the girl saying she's a mummy. Fun stuff.

Amy's is just as deluded here as Colin is: "Ninety-five percent of him is exactly like what was before the accident and everyone wants to concentrate on the five percent that's still broken?" Everyone? What? Has she completely missed the point of this episode? And her "what did you do?" question to Bright's face being crushed in by Colin is disturbing.

This journalist comparing himself to an world renowned artist shaping reality into comfortable fantasy is pathetic. You're a reporter, not an artist. It's too bad that too many reporters actually do follow his philosophy, so this portrayal isn't inaccurate at all.

HA! to Andy calling Arnie "Shrimpy kid". That might just be funnier than anything Harold said all episode. A first for Andy.

And last but not least: IRVVV!!! YES! "Well, I never cared much for a mainstream journalist myself. One of them could come into town, selling writing about one thing and completely miss the more captivating story about the lone black man living in a racially homogeneous town." Awesome, awesome stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh
why does this kid not get more EW screen? HE'S the MIRACLE of everwood.

I'm going to look for this kid on Google... I wouldn't be surprised if he grew up to be that star kid on "High School Musical" or another celebrity teenager Vampire.
Hee, nice! Man, we're going to miss this humour for a month.

The kid who played Arnie actually played a bully in a movie. Yes, Arnie becomes a BULLY! Blows my mind.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Addicted Fan

As much as I get into the Colin storyline and feel sorry for him (most of the time), my loathing for the reporter in this one (and Andy telling him that Colin's not really as well as everyone would like him to believe - WTF? this is the worst of the breach of doctor/patient confidentiality to me) overshadows this whole ep. I just don't enjoy it. (Though Harold sauntering in dressed in that ridiculous "country doctor" outfit is almost funny enough to redeem it.)

Delia and Arnie are adorable. Delia telling Andy "But I neeed one!" when he tells her Arnie is not her slave - BWAH!!! I *heart* Delia.

Amy - "Love made more sense than science." Gag.

Quote:
why the hell is Ephram in the principal's office with Colin anyway? Everyone saw what happened. Ephram was there two seconds previous to everyone else coming in.
I figure everyone else lied (or just refused to comment) and it became Ephram's word against Colin's. Honestly, after seeing what Colin did to the room they were probably all scared if they spoke up that it would be their head he bashed in next. Dude punched Bright four times (even though Bright refused to try to defend himself) after almost breaking Ephram's arm. Colin was terrifying at this point. It took a lot of guts for Ephram to speak out, IMO.
Taryn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread