Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Master Fan

The Everwood Rewatch Fest: "The Unveiling" (S1, Ep. 18)

We'll keep this up for one week and then go on to the next episode. After you've watched the episode, you can comment on it anyway you'd like, big or small. You can focus on certain characters, scenes, quotes, or the episode as a whole. You can tie the episode to the rest of the series, or comment about it as a self-contained episode. It's all up to you! You can always give your thoughts after the one week period, as all rewatch threads will stay open for more thoughts and anymore discussion. Thanks!

The Unveiling

Written By: Greg Berlanti and Rina Mimoun
Directed By: Michael Schultz

Quote:
Original Air Date—24 February 2003
Approaching the anniversary of his mother's death, Ephram confronts a repressed memory of his father cheating on his mother, causing an even bigger rift between father and son that eventually leads to a firestorm of emotions. Meanwhile, Amy grows concerned that Colin might not be recovering as well as everyone thinks when he gets violently ill on one of their dates.
Imdb

If you haven't already, please feel free to comment on our previous episodes:

The Pilot
The Great Doctor Brown
Friendly Fire
The Kissing Bridge
Deer God
The Doctor Is In
We Hold These Truths
Till Death Do Us Part
Turf Wars
Is There a Doctor in the House?
A Thanksgiving Tale
Vegetative State
The Price of Fame
Colin the Second
Snow Job
My Funny Valentine
Everwood Confidential
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 08-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Loyal Fan

This episode is flawless. That's really all I have to say. Greg and Rina just went all out here and it shows. I remember seeing the previews for this one and being shocked, cuz they used the "If you ever say that again, I swear to God, I wont be responsible for what I do to you" scene. My jaw, it was on the floor.

In regards to the secret, I don't think I would've seen it coming. Julia had been built up to be this perfect woman Andy had loved with all his heart, the reason he came to Everwood. To think she was capable of cheating and then have Andy be the one to beg for forgiveness...that was excellent storytelling. And the that whole scene where Andy tells Ephram to not be mad at her and kisses him on the forehead, I tear up every time.

I always wonder though, in A Mountain Town, they say its the first time they've been back to New York since her death....so what about this episode? That's a fairly large continuity error, yes?
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
Old 08-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Master Fan

Heh. I think we're all -- or at least shadow and I are -- pretty excited to be up to this one, judging from the quick responses here.

Quote:
In regards to the secret, I don't think I would've seen it coming. Julia had been built up to be this perfect woman Andy had loved with all his heart, the reason he came to Everwood. To think she was capable of cheating and then have Andy be the one to beg for forgiveness...that was excellent storytelling.
This is exactly the sort of thing that sets Everwood apart from other family dramas. How many shows will allow the venerated, deceased wife and mother to have betrayed her family in such a manner? (And for all of the blame that Andy took upon himself for Julia's cheating, it was still her mistake to make.) And to continue to be remembered as the terrific mother and loving wife that she basically was? This show had some nerve, and for that, I love it dearly. It gave us so much gray; easy as it was for Ephram, and, frankly, the audience, to assume that Andy was just an all-around bad guy, we all had to recognize the fact that he could be a victim, and that sometimes the most idealized figures in our lives can do genuinely awful things.

Random thoughts:
  • Ugh, goopy Colin/Amy. Goopy anyone is bad enough, but, *shudder*. (Sorry, 'Tos. Heh.) Love Harold's attempt to keep an eye on them, though: "I hear there's a wonderful new Gap campaign. Maybe if we keep flipping, we can catch it." And, um, show, really didn't need the realism of Colin's, um, sickness. *shudders some more*
  • I mostly love when this show addresses religious issues, just because when they do it well -- which isn't always, but it's true most of the time -- they do it really well. I mean, Andy's explanation of what an unveiling is is just glorified exposition, but how many shows even cover this?
  • Aw, seeing Nina and Delia head off to dress-shop puts me in mind of the recently-discovered deleted (from the script) scene of such. But then, I don't really know what they could have excised to make room for that (the five seconds of schmoopy Colin/Amy, perhaps? Heh), so, it is what it is.
  • "I will never be done with the salt. Ever." Hee! Amy's irritating teenagerness is finally deployed to good use. Classic.

More, um, thoughtful random thoughts:

This is very much an episode of Andy being resented for the wrong reasons, isn't it? You have Ephram believing him guilty of adultery; Colin and his parents accusing him of overreacting to Colin's bouts of illness. So often Andy does screw up, yet for once, it's everyone around him who's wrong.

Ephram's major crush on Katherine Adams (a name which always amuses me a little, because I had a friend with that name in second grade), and his interest in Laynie, and even in Madison, to an extent, make me wonder where Amy fits in, exactly. When he's not actively pursuing her, he really seems to go for the quirkier/edgier types.

I like the little juxtaposition of Andy and Harold's parenting situations here: Andy told Ephram something he wishes he hadn't (though Ephram's not sorry to have heard it) and is sorry, while Harold won't apologize for telling Amy what she needs to hear.

Finally: ah, the Ephram/piano origin story, and tying it in with Andy and Julia's love for one another. Lovely. *sigh*

Quote:
I always wonder though, in A Mountain Town, they say its the first time they've been back to New York since her death....so what about this episode? That's a fairly large continuity error, yes?
Holy cow, I never noticed that line before! "It's your first time back since Mom died. It's gonna be a lot of memories - like all at once. It'll be all right." That's...well, that's just egregious. How did that get by everyone?!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

• I hate Matt...such a demanding self-rightous meanie.
  • Love the transition from the new Brown house to the old Brown apartment. Love the theme music when the transition was made.
  • Really good make-up/just enough perspiration on Colin to resemble nausea. I could have used my imagination, however, and been spared the actual event.
  • Delia: "Dad, what do you wear to an Unveiling?" so cute.
  • Harold: "Amy, perhaps we should continue this conversation when you're 30." So cute.
  • When Ephram was a brat...he was really a brat. Poor Andy...he never knew what to expect when he entered Ephram's room. Ephram often made him feel like a phirana.
  • Even while being disrespectful, Ephram sure has no trouble using Andy's credit card.
  • Love the beautiful relationship that Julia and Ephram had. She really understood Ephram's potential...that he wasn't a "piano geek"...she always encouraged him to be more confident.
  • How could Mrs. Hart question Andy's advice about medical tests? And her husband! What's the matter with them?! They should have been kissing Andy's feet.
  • Poor Laynie...such a sweet girl and so neglected by her parents. I really couldn't stand them.
  • Ephram and Delia...so adorable.
  • Amy is not attractive as a brat.
  • Love those Abbott dinners. I always wanted to put my hand in the TV and help myself while watching. Funny line by Bright: "What if I need the salt?"

Quote:
Yes, the writers did that a lot. They didn't always do their homework.
Another mistake in this episode was when Amy said to Ephram: "I never saw you in a suit."
I believe that he wore a suit the day of her ballet recital.
I believe that he kind of wore a suit for his grandmother's birthday party ("Is there a Doctor in the House?")
When one writer takes over...he/she doesn't always check what the other writers wrote.

Quote:
Ephram's major crush on Katherine Adams (a name which always amuses me a little, because I had a friend with that name in second grade), and his interest in Laynie, and even in Madison, to an extent, make me wonder where Amy fits in, exactly. When he's not actively pursuing her, he really seems to go for the quirkier/edgier types.
I agree. Amy really wasn't his type. I believe that he was initially attracted and hooked by her beauty...but she was out of his league and he was kind of brave to pursue her. Laynie really was his type initially. It wasn't until Amy and Ephram really got to know each other that their chemistry became evident.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
Master Fan

I was going to originally say how hard it is to go fourth for an episode like this, but instead I think I should probably apologize for how bloody rambly and unnecessarily wordy I'm going to get here, hee. There's just so much to say about this episode. One of the most significant episodes of the series for my money.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."

Last edited by jediwands; 05-09-2021 at 01:43 AM
Old 08-31-2009, 11:04 PM
Master Fan

You've just said many considerably more important things than this, but just a quick response re:

Quote:
I know that not everybody liked Julia in this episode
Really? People didn't like her here? I don't like the adultery, but I think she's otherwise terrific. Love her relationship with Ephram, the friendly aspect to it; you can see that, as much of a parent as she is, she also just enjoys spending time with her kid, and he with her. It's nice.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
You've just said many considerably more important things than this, but just a quick response re:

Really? People didn't like her here? I don't like the adultery, but I think she's otherwise terrific. Love her relationship with Ephram, the friendly aspect to it; you can see that, as much of a parent as she is, she also just enjoys spending time with her kid, and he with her. It's nice.
It's definitely a small, small minority that didn't like her, but they are out there! Like Colin fans. I don't understand it either.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Master Fan

Well, I think I'll reply to some of the other great thoughts said after I exhausted myself the other night, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
Greg and Rina just went all out here and it shows.
They're a great duo, eh? This, "The Last of Summer", "Unspoken Truths" (especially, for me, the Colin appearance which is totally part of why I still cling to Berlanti's shows despite his craziness, hee), "Goodbye, Love". Man, that's an amazing track record. No wonder she was made showrunner. All of these episodes prove just how they get their own show, especially when they're together.

And I also cannot believe we all missed out on that continuity error! We are stupid, hee. I would make a joke about my poor memory, but honestly? I kind of just let most of the continuity or mistakes as long as the rest of the writing was amazing, and I think they were probably hoping for that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief
This is exactly the sort of thing that sets Everwood apart from other family dramas. How many shows will allow the venerated, deceased wife and mother to have betrayed her family in such a manner? (And for all of the blame that Andy took upon himself for Julia's cheating, it was still her mistake to make.) And to continue to be remembered as the terrific mother and loving wife that she basically was? This show had some nerve, and for that, I love it dearly. It gave us so much gray; easy as it was for Ephram, and, frankly, the audience, to assume that Andy was just an all-around bad guy, we all had to recognize the fact that he could be a victim, and that sometimes the most idealized figures in our lives can do genuinely awful things.
Giving a big ol' to that one.

Quote:
She's hot. Hee. No, she doesn't seem to fit, which I guess is the point. Him coming to Everwood and seeing this girl that is so different and new for him. Looking like Amy doesn't hurt, either. I also think they're kind of connected by tragedy at first, so that helps. Ephram is in a very different place when he meets Amy than he is when he met Katherine Adams, and is similarly at a very different place when he meets Laynie or Madison. Sappy as it is, Amy is kind of the one thing that's going good for him at that point, and so that really starts things for him. By the time he meets Laynie, the severe pain over losing his mother and moving to a new town is kind of lessened. I guess that's how I see why he goes for Amy at that point, anyway. Being different from Katherine Adams is a big plus when he comes to Everwood, because Katherine Adams and that old life is surrounded by a lot of bad memories at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
I hate Matt...such a demanding self-rightous meanie.
I hate him too. During that whole scene at the beginning, I was wondering what Matt teaching Kyle would have been like. Sure, Kyle is a lot like Ephram, but man..it would be an ugly scene. I think Kyle could make Matt leave. Or cry. I would prefer cry.

Quote:
Even while being disrespectful, Ephram sure has no trouble using Andy's credit card.
Heh, Ephram is the perfect teenager: "I hate your guts but give me money please."

Quote:
Love those Abbott dinners. I always wanted to put my hand in the TV and help myself while watching. Funny line by Bright: "What if I need the salt?"
I also adore his "It's good ham, mom" over all the awkward silence. Bright rules. Although he should definitely get used to these kind of awkward dinners filled with yelling. This one was good practice for him, hee. And Harold should definitely get used to a sad an exasperated look after said dinners, because he'll be doing that a lot soon.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Well, it's possible that they didn't really do anything other than fly in for the unveiling ceremony and then fly back out for this one, so even though they were physically in the state of New York they weren't really there to revisit old haunts (bad choice of words probably) and that's what they meant in AMT. *shrugs* It works for me.

Man, this ep was so great I'm really having a hard time coming up with comments. I do know that the first time I watched it my jaw hit the freaking FLOOR at the reveal that Julia had been cheating on Andy. Ephram's reaction to the truth was so, so, so perfect and it absolutely shattered my heart.

Quote:
Aw, seeing Nina and Delia head off to dress-shop puts me in mind of the recently-discovered deleted (from the script) scene of such.
Aw, what was the deleted scene? I think a Nina/Delia shopping scene would have been great.

Quote:
Ugh, goopy Colin/Amy.
Blech. Absolutely. PDA = not my thing. Even if it's not technically public, it's on my TV so it's close enough. Them racing downstairs to jump on the couch like they had been there the entire time made me laugh though. Why not just make out on the couch, guys? Takes less time to make it look like you weren't up to anything when you hear the car door slam. Amateurs.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn
Aw, what was the deleted scene? I think a Nina/Delia shopping scene would have been great.
Here it is. I was meaning to post it back when I started the thread. Oops!

Quote:
16 INT. DRESS SHOP. DAY.

Nina and Delia are perusing the Young Miss section. Delia is
oddly intense as she searches the racks. Nina finds a simple
blue dress with conservative lace trim and holds it up.

NINA
What do you think of this one? I bet it
even matches your Mets cap.

DELIA
I can’t wear a baseball cap with a dress.
That would look silly.
(then, politely)
Nina, are you sure you have good taste?
Because this is important.

NINA
I’m sorry. I’ll try harder. So, what
looks good to you?

Delia pulls out a bizarrely flashy-looking outfit. Bright colors,
sparkles – not very “unveiling” looking.

DELIA
Christina Aguilera wore something like
this in her last video. Isn’t it cool?

NINA
Umm...

DELIA
Should I try it on? Ooo! Or this one?

She pulls out another equally horrifying dress.

DELIA (cont’d)
What do you think?

NINA
Well, it’s very... Sparkly?

DELIA
Yeah. That’s what I like about it.

Nina tries to handle this one delicately.

NINA
Did your mom like sparkly stuff?

Delia sits down on the resting couch and thinks for a moment,
conjuring up the image of her mom in her head.

DELIA
Sometimes when she would get dressed up
with my dad, she’d put sparkly stuff on
her face.

NINA
Oh yea? What else did she wear when she
got dressed up?

DELIA
Well... she had a blue dress that was my
favorite. It was long and silky with
silvery straps. They were like diamonds.

NINA
Wow. That sounds beautiful.

DELIA
And then she would put her hair up all
on top of her head and wear long, dangly
earrings. And her shoes made her a
million feet tall.

NINA
Your mom was real tall, hunh?

DELIA
And when she wore those shoes she was
even taller than my dad.
(smiles at the memory)
That was funny.

NINA
Sounds like your mom really knew how to
dress for a party.

DELIA
She was the most beautiful mom out of all
the other kids. Everyone said so.

Delia goes back to the rack and picks out another dress.
Blue velvet, with a sparkly, silver slash around the waist.

DELIA (cont’d)
This one has just the right amount of
sparkle. Don’t you think so, Nina?

NINA
I do.

Off Delia, clutching her new velvet dress...
http://everwoodscripts.tripod.com/sc...8goldenrod.txt
Old 10-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ohhh....That exchange is so precious. Where did this come from, 'Tos?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Master Fan

Shadow posted a link to the script with the deleted scene in the Favourite Quotes thread a while back. And we are forever grateful for that, hee.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

This one was new for me as well.

Back to the deeper wounds I mentioned in the episode 17 discussion thread... This has definitely been one of the most touching episodes of Everwood.
Now we know what caused Ephram to stop playing the piano. He really thought (and yeah, everthing seemed to lead there) Andy had an affair during his marriage. And it must have hurt Ephram that much we can't imagine. He was only 14 (or 15?) and thought his dad had an affair. I know understand why he hated him so much in the beginning. When Andy told Ephram about not him having an affair but Julia he was kind of shocked. His reaction totally told about it. His mother has always been everything for him (as we got to see during the flashbacks) and now she should have been the bad one? That must be hard.
When Ephram in the end went to see Andy in his office and excused for what he's said and done my heart jumped in my chest. I never expected him to do so. I really thought he wouldn't believe Andy but he did. I loved this last scene as I did with the scene in the kitchen when Andy told Ephram.

There we got the first episode which gave us a hint on how not healthy Colin is. I so can't understand his parents by not wanting Andy anymore! They made a big mistake here as we all know! They are his parents and I would take everything serious a really famous Dr. tells me and a really famous Dr. who saved my son is worried about.

Same about Colin. Amy is affraid and she only wanted to be sure nothing is wrong with him. He didn't talk to her about the sickness but she's his girlfriend. What was she supposed to think or to do? Colin has been an ass here!

Another scene I loved was the one between Ephram and Delia in the kitchen. How Ephram described to her that it is something really special when she thinks of her mother was great. I wish I would have had such a great brother.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This was a beautiful, eye opening episode, Kris. Very touching moment when Andy kissed Ephram's forhead....wonderful scene with Ephram reassuring Delia about their mom's love.
Yes, the Harts were real idiots! To second guess the advice given to them by Andy was not a good idea! And Amy was really in denial the whole time. She just wanted everything to be wonderful....she didn't want any waves.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

This is definitely one of the best episodes of the entire series, it's just amazing!
Ephram's evidently been vitriolic towards his father since Julia died because of his presumed affair and it's also another reason why he finds it hard to return to the piano, even if he doesn't realise it. Plus, he probably feels guilty about Julia's death, as if he hadn't been into playing the piano, there'd have been no recital & ergo no car accident. Love how the end scene with Ephram, Julia & piano mirrors the one in the Pilot-can't believe I only just caught on to that!
I adore seeing Julia &Ephram together, and yeah, I'd totally have watched Julia, Ephram & Delia function as a unit while Andy's off at work all day, and, when he does come back, having Ephram mutter stuff under his breath or being caustically sarcastic and Delia getting all over-excited and showing & telling Andy what she'd done at school that day, then Julia & Andy discussing stuff once Ephram & Delia are in bed.
I absolutely adore that Ephram goes to Andy to apologise, which I think is a first for him at this point in the show! The ensuing conversation & the forehead kiss Andy bestows on Ephram are truly touching moments. Awwww to Ephram's "She loved you. She used to tell me that all the time." & Andy's reply... Nice parallel to 'The Great Dr Brown' explanation Ephram gives his dad in the episode with the same name. I don't think Julia ever did participate in Ephram's mockery of Andy-I can imagine her maybe suppressing a titter at it the first time but gently scolding Ephram about it, and Ephram speaking in anger when he recounts the anecdote, so blowing it up to epic proportions. Jacob, on the other hand probably called Andy that to his face, spreading the sarcasm on thickly!
I also love Delia & Ephram's interaction-their relationship is really lovely, and I would have loved to see more of it. Ephram would know what she'd want in her lunch bag/on her pizza etc, what to buy her for Birthday/Christmas/Hanukkah, I imagine he read to her when she was little & taught her loads of stuff, so lots to work with there! Maybe a scene where Delia tries to make Ephram see Andy how she sees him or asks him what it was like when it was just Ephram & their parents-I'd have loved to hear Ephram's take on life pre-Delia/before Andy's work took over his life...
Hee to Amy's "I will never be done with the salt.Ever." & Bright's response-the rapport the Abbotts had with eachother felt so real & believable & Emily van Camp captures the moody teenager so well, as does Greg Smith!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread