Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 08:54 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Summer Break Season 1 Episode Discussion: #101 Pilot/#102 The Great Doctor Brown

I have created this thread topic for a couple of reasons. First, because we are currently involved in a long summer break and it will give us something to do to pass the time until season 4 begins. Second, because how in the world is it NOT fun to discuss arguably the very best season of TV that you will ever encounter? That would be Season 1 Everwood. I estimated the allowed time we will have to discuss every episode in order get through the entire season in time for season 4 to start. My estimation is to discuss two episodes a week and closer to the end, we might hike it up and discuss three episodes a week for the last few weeks.. Thanks to Ken's brilliant idea, he suggested that we start the discussions every Thursday so we can get acclimated to the new Thursday timeslot this fall. So, that's just what we'll do. Every Thursday I will post the new episodes to discuss.

Lets get to it! Discuss anything and everything about the amazing Pilot & The Great Doctor Brown episodes.
Wilpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Episode Summaries/Pictures
Quote:

#101 - "Pilot" (Original Airdate: 09/16/02)
Dr. Andrew Brown (Treat Williams, Hollywood Ending, The Late Shift) is a world-famous neurosurgeon whose career always overshadowed his obligations as a parent, until the day that his loving wife died. Faced with the daunting task of raising his two kids, 9-year-old Delia (Vivien Cardone, A Beautiful Mind) and 15-year-old Ephram (Gregory Smith, The Patriot) by himself, Andrew moves his family from New York to the beautiful Rocky Mountain town of Everwood, Colorado, where he opens a free medical clinic. Delia adjusts quickly to her new surroundings, but the sudden shift in everything he has ever known is hardest on Ephram, who resents all the years his father lavished on his career at the expense of his family.

#102 - "The Great Dr. Brown" (Original Airdate: 09/23/02)
Andy (Treat Williams) and Ephram's (Gregory Smith) fragile relationship is further strained when it appears that Andy is once again putting work before family. Meanwhile, as the town of Everwood celebrates its annual Fall Thaw Festival, Ephram's interest in Amy (Emily VanCamp) continues to blossom and Delia (Vivien Cardone) gets into trouble at school for questioning her teacher's antiquated rules.

- taken from TheWB.com
I'll be back later with my review. I want to re-watch them, so my thoughts are fresher.

Btw Wilpen, Pilot episodes are always 100, they're not technically part of the season.

icon
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:44 AM
Master Fan

Well, I consider pilot 101 on my site so maybe that's why she did it that way.

Thanks for starting this, co-mod.
I made my icon.
BepperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BepperGirl
Oh ... whatev.

I'm gonna go watch these episodes ... I'll be back.

icon
Old 06-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:

Thanks for starting this, co-mod.
Yeah, that's exactly why I did it that way, Gaby. I told you that your site was my Everwood bible.

I totally forgot to add the episode descriptions. *hits head* Thanks for adding those, Ken.
Wilpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen
I totally forgot to add the episode descriptions. *hits head* Thanks for adding those, Ken.
No problem. If you don't mind, could I do this with every thread. I like the way I had set it up ...

icon
Old 06-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, you can do that, Ken. You're a great help to this board.

And Michelle.
I made my icon.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, you can do that, Ken. You're a great help to this board.
Thanks Gaby. That means alot.

icon
Old 06-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Passionate Fan

Maybe to get us started, we can all ask ourselves two questions:
1) What prompted us to sit down that Monday night and flick our remote to the Pilot in the first place?
2) What aspects of the Pilot stayed with us enough that we wanted to tune in the next week?

Let's see...

1) Well, I think the first thing that made me want to watch Everwood in the first place was a copy of the tween magazine Twist. I opened it one day, and, like every 14-year-old girl out there, I turned to the "Fresh Male Hotties of 2002" page. And, while they had ginormous pictures of a whole bunch of cute guys, my eyes were immediately drawn to a small pictures (almost an afterthought) of a brooding teenager with purple hair and the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen. Beside the picture, it just said "Gregory Smith, star of the new WB drama Everwood". I was like "He's hot. Okay, I'll tune in." Then I found out that my cousin Emily was appearing on the same show as Gregory, so that held double the appeal - I'd get to see Emily, who is an awesome actress, AND have male eye candy! Superficial, I know, but true. I don't even know if I ever saw a preview for the actual show. But no matter - it got me to tune in, and, three years later, I still watch.

2) When I think about the Pilot, one of the things I remember most is the fact that, before the opening credits, even, I was crying. The whole scene with Andy in the doctor's office, finding out his wife had just been killed... I was amazed that the show could evoke such emotion within the first five minutes, and not seem ridiculous! Also, I remember being so addicted to the chemistry between Ephram and Amy... we didn't get to see too much of their relationship at that point in the story, but it gave us just enough to make us want more. And plus the show added its own touch of drama - the scene outside with Andy and Ephram yelling by the car was SO well acted - and still was able to interject humour - "I'm making pancakes, want some?" "GO TO H*LL!" It gets me, every time. So I think that's what made me want to tune into the next episode the following week. And while there have been some ups and downs in the past three seasons, never once have I actually thought to myself "I'm never turning this show on again." I love it too much, because I know that the people who were behind the greatness that was Season 1 are still there, and are completely capable of doing it again.

What are your answers to my questions?
EphramIsHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Passionate Fan

1) What prompted us to sit down that Monday night and flick our remote to the Pilot in the first place?
2) What aspects of the Pilot stayed with us enough that we wanted to tune in the next week?

1) My old WB had a habit of playing trailers for new shows over and over until you couldn't get the trailer out of your head. That combined with TV Guide and other magazine articles made me want to tune in, to see what the fuss was all about. OT: Those trailers also rooked me into watching Gilmore girls, a show I have been an avid fan for 5 years. So advertising does work...

2) Everwood's Pilot is the best Pilot I have ever seen. It had all the aspects, love, death, pain, and happiness all rolled into a single hour. The characters were well rounded, and everyone had a past, and a story to tell.
jjlover01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Master Fan

It was my first year of tuning in to the sweeps, the spring of '02, I believe. So I read the description for Everwood. Sounded decent enough. That was probably why I started watching. Also, I had made up my mind that I would do transcripts for a TV show and so I decided on Everwood.

Yeah, so I was probably also drawn to the intense emotion one could feel with the Pilot. And also Ephram and Amy's attraction. Remember if you will that at the time of the pilot, it was my pre-slash days. Somewhere in September/October/November '02, that changed. I grew into the slash because of this show.

Okay, that's all from me for now. I gotta see if there are any new questions!
I made my icon.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:13 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphramIsHot

I had seen countless promotions for the show ... and I was drawn in. The idea of a WB drama centered around a father/son I thought was a welcomed change. Then seeing the trailer, reading the descriptions, etc. It just felt like a show I felt I needed to give my attention to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EphramIsHot

It was love at first sight. I taped the episode and watched it countless times after. I fell in love with the characters, the town, the narrations, the story, the emotion, etc. It was like ... finally!

icon
Old 06-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Master Fan

Narrations probably had me going too. Those were so amazingly done. My favorite play is probably Our Town and Ken Tucker from Entertainment Weekly said in his first review of Everwood that the narrations reminded him of Our Town. I was like, yay!
I made my icon.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

But ... it was the fact that the narrations were used correctly and they were so poignant. Plus, Irv (John Beasely) has a great narrator voice.

Edna being a biker/nurse, Harold, Ephram's punk attitude, Andy with his sense of humor, Delia being a tom boy, and the idea that Amy had a boyfriend in a coma, and also the train station/dr's office.

It was unlike anything I had seen before. It was unconventional television, and I loved it. I was hooked.

icon
Old 06-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Master Fan

Okay, first off... GREAT idea! It's like a book club, haha! Only with episodes from our favorite TV show Secondly, I loved reading everyone's answers to the questions Janelle posted! It's funny because a lot of them were the same reasons and thgouhts as mine as well Great minds think alike

Okay onto the questions..

For me, it was the amazing promo trailers the WB put together for this show, as well as the fact that it is true; the WB over airs commercials, so the promo was being show every other commercial, haha! Basically my attention and interest was very peaked and I'm totally a "WB Brat" so I gave it a shot and sat down and watched the pilot. So glad I did! Also, in the previews, they of coarse showed clips of Greg Smith and he caught my eye instantly

I can't exactly pin point one thing from the finale that made me come back the following week. I remember being satisfied with the overall story, the acting, the dialogue, and of caorse all the amazing actors. Also, the fact that it was a "family show" but it wasn't as cheesy as -c'mon, let's be honest here- 7th Heaven. It deals with real problems and deals with them very well. Another huge thing that made me come back was 1. Greg Smith and his character, Ephram, and 2. The already obvious chemtry/love story between Ephram and Amy. I mean, there are just too many things to name here, without repeating myself so I'll stop there.

Last thought: The writers could not have done a btter job putting together this pilot episode; everything was so well done from the casting to the plot, to the beautiful locations, down to the dialogue.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top