Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Master Fan

The Everwood Rewatch Fest: "The Kissing Bridge" (S1, Ep. 4)

We'll keep this up for one week and then go on to the next episode. After you've watched the episode, you can comment on it anyway you'd like, big or small. You can focus on certain characters, scenes, quotes, or the episode as a whole. You can tie the episode to the rest of the series, or comment about it as a self-contained episode. It's all up to you! You can always give your thoughts after the one week period, as all rewatch threads will stay open for more thoughts and anymore discussion. Thanks!

The Kissing Bridge
Written By: Rina Mimoun
Directed By: Michael Schultz

Quote:
Original Air Date—7 October 2002
Dr. Brown and Dr. Abbott must put their striking differences aside to educate the town of Everwood after several of their teen-aged patients are diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease. To make sensitive matters worse, Dr. Abbott has reason to suspect that his son Bright may have been intimate with one of the patients. Meanwhile, Ephram pushes his romantic feelings aside to comfort Amy, who is distraught over not being able to go to the Fall Dance with her boyfriend, as he is still comatose.
Imdb

If you haven't already, please feel free to comment on our previous episodes:

The Pilot
The Great Doctor Brown
Friendly Fire
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Here are some thoughts on the episode:
  • I love the scene in Andy's office when Mrs. Clark pulls the lollypop out of Susie's mouth!
  • Funny Ephram line to Wendell: "Let me guess...another one of your dealings in the stupid favor cartel."
  • By the way....who asked Wendell to the Fall Dance? He had an invitation on his locker.
  • Funny Edna line to Brenda: "Your mouth is a bigger safety hazzard than that bridge and nobody's torn you down."
  • Funny Harold line to Andy: "Listen here, Dr. Cocoa Puffs."
  • I really didn't like Magilla. I know that he was really a girl in a boy's body....but...that doesn't mean that he/she has to be mean and nasty to poor Delia...who only wanted to be his friend
  • I just wanted to kill Bright. What another meanie...at the expense of poor Ephram...who did nothing wrong except move to Everwood and was being used by Amy.
  • Cute Delia lines: "I need a pop tart."
  • "Dad, you gotta get a grip!"
  • I just loved when Andy volunteered Harold to teach safe sex at the High School: "We? We? We?"
  • Poor Andy! How awkward was it for him to have a simple conversation with Ephram (when he was saying that he didn't know if Ephram had ever had sex.)
  • I hated the scene in the diner....Andy walked in....Ephram just walked past Andy while saying, "I'll be in the car." Poor Andy had to stand there and watch Harold and Amy lovingly embrace each other.
  • I love the end of the episode.....Andy was talking to Ephram about Alfie.....Andy concluded with: "You're still grounded." "I know," responded Ephram. Did you see that look of respect on Ephram's face?
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:34 PM
Master Fan

These list things are handy! Especially in these episodes that aren't exactly full of things to talk about. "Deer God" is next, so I think I'll do away with the list for that one.
  • Rina's first episode! Probably not her best, but that is nothing against this episode.
  • Louise! I wonder if Rina got royalties for creating a character that gets used so often? She's hilarious even in just ten seconds of airtime!
  • Only Everwood could get away with the cheesy joke about the council being the same as the school board but in different seats and it still being pretty funny.
  • I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Everwood writer's liberal bent comes through a little more than usual in this one? They typically try to show both sides, and I think do a good job, but it's not too hard to see where they fit on this one.
  • I've never quite bought Ephram's argument about Andy choosing to teach kids about an epidemic over being a good father. He does both in this episode in my mind, and it is definitely NOT an example of him choosing his work over his family. Andy is completely right, Ephram is being melodramatic, and him walking away from dinner (how often does the kid do this? No wonder he's so skinny!) is the perfect example of that. Ephram, stop being a bloody drama queen and cut your Dad a little slack. Jerk. That's right, I said it.
  • Man, does Irv always know exactly what to say or what? I really love that moment between him and Edna at the end, and how he can so easily comfort her when even Terminator can't.
  • I believe Bright telling Harold he hasn't "sealed the deal" is Bright's first great scene, and the first example of what this character can be. Probably not a coincidence that that comes in Rina's first epiosde. And I love that his reaction to Harold going "so you scratched the bumper" is him just getting up and walking away. Ha!
  • Andy really comes through as an awesome father in that fireplace talk. What is up with Andy and Ephram and fireplace chats that are so wonderful? They just click whenever a fire is around, hee.
  • WHERE did Edna get the explosives to blow up that bridge? Hee. I do love that final scene, though. Great heartfelt moment with a little panache to top it off!

Quote:
I love the scene in Andy's office when Mrs. Clark pulls the lollypop out of Susie's mouth!
Hee, I love that too. So well acted, and that lollypop moment gets me everytime.

Quote:
By the way....who asked Wendell to the Fall Dance? He had an invitation on his locker.
Unless he put it there himself...that really is the only explanation. There is no way Wendell should be more popular than Ephram, even at Ephram's low point in high school. Wendell is just...no, no, it just doesn't make sense!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 04-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I believe Bright telling Harold he hasn't "sealed the deal" is Bright's first great scene, and the first example of what this character can be. Probably not a coincidence that that comes in Rina's first epiosde. And I love that his reaction to Harold going "so you scratched the bumper" is him just getting up and walking away. Ha!
That was the first scene in which I started to come around a bit on Bright as a character, and it only got better from this point. It does always make me wonder, though, exactly how much, uh, activity he managed to get in between some time after "Snow Job" and that tour of apologies in "A Mountain Town." And how he had so much free time to pal around with Ephram and bring up his grades in S2.

Haven't rewatched yet, but that shouldn't keep me from being able to comment on someone else's comments.
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
WHERE did Edna get the explosives to blow up that bridge? Hee. I do love that final scene, though. Great heartfelt moment with a little panache to top it off!
Well, she does know a rabbi in the army. :

Quote:
Ephram, stop being a bloody drama queen and cut your Dad a little slack. Jerk. That's right, I said it.
You're calling my honey a jerk?!? I'm putting soap in your mouth.

Quote:
It does always make me wonder, though, exactly how much, uh, activity he managed to get in between some time after "Snow Job" and that tour of apologies in "A Mountain Town." And how he had so much free time to pal around with Ephram and bring up his grades in S2.
I don't think that it's physically possible.....even for Bright! And when did he have the time to hook up with Kayla? Of course he did a lot of Breast touching when he was very young. :
Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
You're calling my honey a jerk?!? I'm putting soap in your mouth.
It's funny, I was always 'Team Ephram' since the beginning, no matter how much of a 'jerk' he was with Andy sometimes. In fact, when he got angry with Andy, I got angry with Andy, too, like I was going through Ephram's emotions
Old 04-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Louise! I wonder if Rina got royalties for creating a character that gets used so often? She's hilarious even in just ten seconds of airtime!
Heh. Her first appearance and she was already cracking me up! Definately one of Everwood's more underrated townies. And I do think that's how it works, a writer creates a secondary character who reappears continuously gets monies everytime said character appears.

Quote:
I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Everwood writer's liberal bent comes through a little more than usual in this one? They typically try to show both sides, and I think do a good job, but it's not too hard to see where they fit on this one.
You know, this never even occurs to me when watching this episode. I was so on Andy's side...minus maybe the condom thing, that it didn't even register as being liberal bent. But, looking at it now, I can totally see it.

The end scene has to be one of my favorites...I mean...how often does Everwood blow things up!? Edna's response to Harold was very understated, which works as it was completely opposite as to what just happened. "Mother, what in the hell are you doing!?" "Grieving". Aww.
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
ShadowMagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy (View Post)
It's funny, I was always 'Team Ephram' since the beginning, no matter how much of a 'jerk' he was with Andy sometimes. In fact, when he got angry with Andy, I got angry with Andy, too, like I was going through Ephram's emotions
Hee, I was always on Team Andy. Mostly because he looks so sad and heartbroken whenever Ephram is mean to him. Poor Andy!

Quote:
You know, this never even occurs to me when watching this episode. I was so on Andy's side...minus maybe the condom thing, that it didn't even register as being liberal bent. But, looking at it now, I can totally see it.
Yeah, I never thought about it before this rewatch, but it was pretty blatant this time for some reason. I'm on Andy's side too, heh, but I do think they usually do a much much better job. Although I remember some of the posts on the old board during Kyle's coming out, so maybe not to some people. Whoo boy, that was wild!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Hee, I was always on Team Andy. Mostly because he looks so sad and heartbroken whenever Ephram is mean to him. Poor Andy!
I was always on Andy's side when Ephram was mean to him....just like I was always on Ephram's side when Andy was unreasonable. That's because I loved both characters equally.....I appreciate their good qualities and want to wring their neck when they act like asses.

Quote:
it didn't even register as being liberal bent. But, looking at it now, I can totally see it.

Andy stance thoughout the series was liberal....from teaching about safe sex.... cancer patients smoking pot.... he was even pretty liberal about Ephram having sex (until he got a girl pregnant).
That's why his stance on performing an abortion (season one) wasn't very understandable to me. The fact that he was willing to teach how to perform an abortion (season 4) made absolutely no sense as far as consistency is concerned.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
That's why his stance on performing an abortion (season one) wasn't very understandable to me. The fact that he was willing to teach how to perform an abortion (season 4) made absolutely no sense as far as consistency is concerned.
I don't know, I kind of liked him not being able to perform the abortion although he is highly liberal and would likely be the one to do it. It made sense to me that it was too close after Julia's death for him to do something like that, even though he believes in the practice. Plus, it made for a nice surprise once we found out that Harold would do it!

His decision in season four was just poorly handled all around. I didn't mind him being able to perform it after the aura of Julia's death had left him four years later, but that the writers didn't give him a scene to weigh the decision or talk about it with someone, and for him to just say he'd do it so casually, and most of his story involving it taking place offscreen...didn't like that. It was too easy.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
and most of his story involving it taking place offscreen...didn't like that. It was too easy.
Plus the fact that that creepy professor/mentor got to meet with him without our knowledge and think he was hot!! She can't have him.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Master Fan

I was pleasantly surprised by the twists in "Episode 20," which is precisely why I, too, had trouble with Andy's quick decision to teach the procedure. So much time in "You're a Good Man, Andy Brown" is devoted to that great argument between Harold and Amy over the issue that I can't believe they just totally dismissed Andy's part of things; we go from Harold's refusal and Amy letting down Prof. Laurie to Andy's offscreen agreement and Prof. Laurie's creepy remark to Amy about Andy's hotness. That was one of those few moments in S4 that was way underwritten. It wouldn't have taken more than a brief scene to establish why and how Andy's feelings had changed since Julia's death. Bah.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Loyal Fan

I too thought it was more of a timing issue, in reguards to Andy's ability to perform the abortion. Now, I do agree we needed to see more of his thoughts on the issue in season 4, but given how much they dropped and rewrote in order to wrap things up, I can accept this.
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
ShadowMagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I too thought it was more of a timing issue, in reguards to Andy's ability to perform the abortion. Now, I do agree we needed to see more of his thoughts on the issue in season 4, but given how much they dropped and rewrote in order to wrap things up, I can accept this.
That's definitely true about all the dropping and rewriting surrounding Amy and her college prof, but I still think it's odd that they basically ignored a major decision for Andy, especially when it could have tied so neatly back to "Episode 20", and that would have paralleled what was going on with Harold. I guess I'm still bitter. We'll find out just how much when we get to that one. In 2014, heh.

I'll pop up the next one sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening, not to pressure Thief, because she (or anyone else who wants to jump on the rewatch bandwagon) can still post about it afterward. I'm thinking of just doing the next episode every Thursday, which..is once a week, so I think I should have been doing something like that all along. But I wasn't, heh.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I'm thinking of just doing the next episode every Thursday, which..is once a week, so I think I should have been doing something like that all along. But I wasn't, heh.
Aw, it was our fault. We were all "but we'll get through the episodes faster if it's every few days!" I'm a bit of a hypocrite.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top