Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Master Fan

The Everwood Rewatch Fest: "Snow Job" (S1, Ep. 15)

We'll keep this up for one week and then go on to the next episode. After you've watched the episode, you can comment on it anyway you'd like, big or small. You can focus on certain characters, scenes, quotes, or the episode as a whole. You can tie the episode to the rest of the series, or comment about it as a self-contained episode. It's all up to you! You can always give your thoughts after the one week period, as all rewatch threads will stay open for more thoughts and anymore discussion. Thanks!

Snow Job

Written By: Michael Green
Directed By: David Petrarca

Quote:
Original Air Date—3 February 2003
On a church ski trip chaperoned by perpetual party pooper Dr. Abbott, Amy and Colin share their first kiss since the surgery; Ephram finds himself intrigued by Colin's younger sister, Laynie, who has recently returned home from boarding school; and Bright attempts to get to the next base with his girlfriend. Meanwhile, Andy hesitantly agrees to attend a singles mixer with the recently divorced Reverend Keyes.
Imdb

If you haven't already, please feel free to comment on our previous episodes:

The Pilot
The Great Doctor Brown
Friendly Fire
The Kissing Bridge
Deer God
The Doctor Is In
We Hold These Truths
Till Death Do Us Part
Turf Wars
Is There a Doctor in the House?
A Thanksgiving Tale
Vegetative State
The Price of Fame
Colin the Second
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Master Fan

First!
  • Was Laynie referenced at all prior to Colin's memory of her (and then her physical appearance here) in the teaser? I'm completely not remembering, in large part because of all the rewatch eps I missed, well, rewatching. She was, right? She must have been.
  • I don't really think Andy's files should be that accessible to random people in the waiting room.
  • Wow, way to be pushy, Colin. Maybe Andy doesn't want cold food! And he manipulated the restaurant to get free fries! Yeah, okay, apparently I'm starting to feel normal again about Colin, heh.
  • "You look like Jesus." "I get that a lot." Heeee! Too bad we missed that one for the Funny Exchanges tournament. Also too bad that Rev. Keyes never returned after "Blind Faith," because he and Andy are really nice together. It's good to see Andy with a friend who can identify a little bit with what he's been through.
  • Hmm...yeah, Ephram/Laynie? I could've dug it. Not necessarily in 2002/3, when I was kind of indifferent to her, but in retrospect, yeah. But this Laynie, not the one who drinks before fifth period. (And I have to say, listening to exactly what she says in that conversation with him -- about the nature of her relationship with her parents after the accident, being sent off because of it, having her life now defined by Colin -- I don't think the friendship idea we have for her brief return in Virtual Season 5 will be that much of a stretch, after all. )
  • Oh, Bright. He's basically a single-minded asshat for the majority of the episode, and yet? When Harold's in peril, he comes through, even though it means missing out (well, at that particular moment) on exactly the thing he's spent the entire episode pursuing. And that's the kind of thing that makes me love him. In spite of a whole bunch of stuff, heh.
  • Harold's revenge rocks, hee. I'm mildly confused by their religious orientation, though. I mean, there are hints throughout the series that the Abbotts are Catholic, but then there are other times when they don't seem to be. I don't know. I should just appreciate the fact that church comes up at all, really, and that at least Harold's religiosity was written better than Hannah's, heh.
  • Poor Ephram with Colin towards episode's end. Nice work there by Greg, because he genuinely looks as though he's going to be ill.

Whew. Well. For some reason, this is one of those S1 eps that I remember better than many other non-biggies. I don't quite know why, but there is quite a bit of good here, much more than in "Colin the Second" -- Harold, Andy and Rev. Keyes, Harold, Ephram and Laynie, Bright saving his father, Harold. And the increasing sense that Colin is evil, heh. I always associated his real creepiness with this episode, probably because I've never quite forgotten Ephram's sheer terror when he "acts" suspicious about Ephram and Amy's closeness.

Last edited by jediwands; 04-18-2021 at 08:28 PM
Thief Of Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Was Laynie referenced at all prior to Colin's memory of her (and then her physical appearance here) in the teaser? I'm completely not remembering, in large part because of all the rewatch eps I missed, well, rewatching. She was, right? She must have been.
Nope. She wasn't mentioned at all. Just showed up completely out of the blue.
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
ShadowMagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Nope. She wasn't mentioned at all. Just showed up completely out of the blue.
Huh. I knew she didn't come up in "We Hold These Truths," but was hoping there had been some minor reference to her that I'd missed in one of the episodes between that one and this. Thanks, shadow. Smooth, show. "Oh, I am suddenly recalling something about Amy -- no, wait, apparently my sister, whose existence has never before been acknowledged! Oh, and here she is! What a coincidence!" Heh.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Master Fan

• We were just talking about high school characters who are way older than high schoolers. Hi, Jemma!
  • Yeah, Laynie was out of the blue, but I'll take it for snarky Nora Zehetner!
  • The way that Amy says "That's okay. Of course you'd remember your sister first" in such a way that it's so clear that she means "Colin, what the hell? How can you not remember me? You saw me in a BIKINI TOP" always makes me smile. See? Amy and her insecurities CAN be fun!
  • "You know, you're the only guy I know who's so dark that it turns me into an optimist. It's kinda scary. " More Ephram and Colin snarky comedy about how their lives suck! Whoo! Enjoy it while it lasts. At least we get some comic talk and some coma boy discounts before their awesome friendship ends. Pre-crazy Colin is fun! Still a little mean, but, at least in a funny way instead of a yelly way, heh.
  • Okay, as much as I absolutely adore the Harold hi-jinks in this episode as the chaperone, I can't believe for one second that he would willingly chaperone a bunch of teenagers for more than ten seconds without wanting to jump out of a window or wanting to kill one of them. It's all fun and comedic so I'll take it, especially because he agrees to it after Amy strokes his ego before he decides to do it.
  • "Ah you don't realize that I'm running a sweatshop in the basement and Delia is my best sewer." That's a great scene overall, from Delia's adorable joy to the prospect of eating cookie dough, to some cute Andy/Nina banter.
  • Great big AWs to Andy not being able to go into the single's mixer (Treat's acting here is supoib), and to the Rev's complete understanding. MAN, screw Colin and Ephram. These two had a great friendship. I wouldn't have complained a bit if we got more scenes like we saw between them here. I always did appreciate the fact that Everwood showed a lot of genuine male friendships and relationships. These two are one of the better examples. AND it only lasts a few scenes, unfortunately.
  • "She speaks." "She sits." "She cracks jokes. Who knew?" Another friendship that I adore. Their scene by the fire is essentially an awesome quotefest. Maybe fire just makes Ephram doubly awesome? We've already observed that Andy + Ephram + Fire = Perfection. And we had Ephram's "Hello, Mr. Bush. So nice and green. I am your sprinkler" line at a bonfire. Now this. I think I'm onto something. Although I'm really curious to know how Ephram started that fire, because it's already been established that it's not possible without a flare gun.
  • "Sometimes I think you forget how lucky we are...I mean, how many couples get to have their first kiss twice?" Okay, as you all know I'm not always into the romance stuff on shows, but that is an awesome line. Colin is smoooooth, heh.

Good ep.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."

Last edited by jediwands; 04-18-2021 at 10:46 AM
Old 08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, Laynie was out of the blue, but I'll take it for snarky Nora Zehetner!
I absolutely loved the character of Laynie. I loved her personality...she had more common sense than most of the other characters....and she appreciated Ephram's attributes.

Quote:
* Okay, as much as I absolutely adore the Harold hi-jinks in this episode as the chaperone, I can't believe for one second that he would willingly chaperone a bunch of teenagers for more than ten seconds without wanting to jump out of a window or wanting to kill one of them. It's all fun and comedic so I'll take it, especially because he agrees to it after Amy strokes his ego before he decides to do it.
I honestly can't image those kids being able to pull off that stunt with a sleeping Harold in the gondola.

Quote:
* Great big AWs to Andy not being able to go into the single's mixer (Treat's acting here is supoib), and to the Rev's complete understanding. MAN, screw Colin and Ephram. These two had a great friendship.
That was a wonderful, warm scene at the Mile High Diner. Yes, Reverand Keyes was a beautiful friend.

Quote:
* "She speaks." "She sits." "She cracks jokes. Who knew?" Another friendship that I adore. Their scene by the fire is essentially an awesome quotefest.
That was adorable. I wished that we could have seen more of their scene together by the campfire. It seemed as if they bonded. That's why I don't understand why....when everyone was getting back on the bus to go home..Ephram looked so sad as if he and Laynie didn't even know each other.

Quote:
* "Sometimes I think you forget how lucky we are...I mean, how many couples get to have their first kiss twice?" Okay, as you all know I'm not always into the romance stuff on shows, but that is an awesome line. Colin is smoooooth, heh.
Gag. Sorry....Colin and Amy's scenes and dialogue did nothing for me.

Quote:
* I don't really think Andy's files should be that accessible to random people in the waiting room

Very cute first meeting. Laynie ignored him. But....when she found out that Ephram was worth talking to....she didn't shut up!

Quote:
* Oh, Bright. He's basically a single-minded asshat for the majority of the episode, and yet? When Harold's in peril, he comes through, even though it means missing out (well, at that particular moment) on exactly the thing he's spent the entire episode pursuing. And that's the kind of thing that makes me love him. In spite of a whole bunch of stuff, heh.
Yeah, he turned out to be a really good son. Seriously though, Gemma did look old enough to be his mother.

Quote:
* Harold's revenge rocks, hee. I'm mildly confused by their religious orientation, though. I mean, there are hints throughout the series that the Abbotts are Catholic, but then there are other times when they don't seem to be.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Abbotts are Catholic. Protestants don't go to confession, do they?

Quote:
Whew. Well. For some reason, this is one of those S1 eps that. And the increasing sense that Colin is evil, heh. I always associated his real creepiness with this episode, probably because I've never quite forgotten Ephram's sheer terror when he "acts" suspicious about Ephram and Amy's closeness.
Yeah, why did he have to scare poor Ephram with his "kidding"? Meanie.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Gag. Sorry....Colin and Amy's scenes and dialogue did nothing for me.
Seconded. Colin continues to come across to me here (as he did in "We Hold These Truths") as the guy with the really bad pick-up lines.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the Abbotts are Catholic. Protestants don't go to confession, do they?
No, we don't. I'm not sure what threw me off about it, really; maybe Hannah going to church with Harold, when she's supposed to be Protestant (Episcopalian, IIRC). But that's not really a good story point on which to base anything, heh.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Master Fan

Annnnd I'm back to being alone on the Colin thing. We all knew it wouldn't last, hee. You'll all be back when we do "Home". At least until he acts like a jerk to Ephram. And then I'll be alone again.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
. I'm not sure what threw me off about it, really; maybe Hannah going to church with Harold, when she's supposed to be Protestant (Episcopalian, IIRC). But that's not really a good story point on which to base anything, heh.
Hey, the whole town went attended Reverend Keyes service....even Jewish Ephram and Delia!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:26 AM
New Fan

Yo,

This be Thanh with another famous "ChibiT" review so here we go!

1st off, I still don't get the reference to "snow job." I don't remember seeing Irv in the episode too... i'm a ditz =P
Alright, this is ONE of my favorite episodes. The famous line of, "God gives us what we need to get by..." is one of the most beautiful and truthful lines of the whole series.

Also, the lines Rev. Keyes says before of how he gives hope but "how it must sound so empty" always hits closer to home each viewing. So touching and real... this is a clutch episode that HIGHLIGHTS its winning points.

2nd, on to the less serious stuff, Bright is my homeboy. (i'm making t-shirts... this is a joke to George W. Bush is My Homeboy! T-shirt from Zazzle.com .
"I better go to Heaven for this..." I think any guy growing up can relate to trying to get into the goodies that lies within the pants of Blonde Chick. (who isn't that cute, bright can do alot better)

Other than that, those are MY highlights, good stuff from Harold, colin/amy, and ephram/Lannie.
bleh, i wish ephram/Lannie lasted longer, they get along quite well.

SIDENOTE: sorry for being late, I'm loving the commentary guys! you all bring up very insightful points!
ChibiT89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
1st off, I still don't get the reference to "snow job."
I don't think that there was any important significance. I just think that it was a play on words....Snow.....skiing. So. Snow job sounded good.
Maybe others have a better idea.

Quote:
"I better go to Heaven for this..." I think any guy growing up can relate to trying to get into the goodies that lies within the pants of Blonde Chick. (who isn't that cute, bright can do alot better)
I thought that Gemma was hideous. I couldn't figure out what Bright saw in her. Also, she looked old enough to be his mother....but she was no Demi Moore.
Quote:
i wish ephram/Lannie lasted longer, they get along quite well.
I loved those two. Laynie's personality definitely complemented Ephram's. They were comfortable with each other and she appreciated Ephram's attributes before anyone else did.
Yes, I agree.....they should have lasted longer. Besides, it was fun watching a jealous Amy.

Quote:
SIDENOTE: sorry for being late, I'm loving the commentary guys! you all bring up very insightful points!
We welcome your commentary anytime! Thanks for posting.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:33 PM
Master Fan

Great to have your reviews back, Thanh!

Quote:
Also, the lines Rev. Keyes says before of how he gives hope but "how it must sound so empty" always hits closer to home each viewing. So touching and real... this is a clutch episode that HIGHLIGHTS its winning points.
That final scene between him and Andy is one of my favourites of the season for Andy that does not include him and Ephram.

And I definitely agree with needing more Laynie/Ephram. Even one more episode than we got before Ephram was so obvious about how he still felt for Amy (seriously, he was a little cruel in just how obvious he was) would have been nice. It's too bad that Laynie couldn't have seen the mature Ephram that we get in S4, because I think she really would have been impressed by how much he had grown up.

What do you think of Colin, Thanh? Are you a fan at all?
Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 PM
New Fan

Tos,

I was trying to stay out of the "Colin Wars"! (TM)

Honestly? he's not even "there" in my book. Maybe it's because I started on season 2. Maybe it's because he talks...by...using...one...liners. He doesn't warrant any opinion from me. is that cruel? hah.

but here goes:
  • as for the character; i can appreciate his climb back into the normal graces of Everwood. His reaction to Amy's longing for the past felt very understandable and realistic. So, his story is a good one but his decline just got a little weird.
    However, his presence in the main characters' lives acts as a catalyst and makes for a very dramatic ending so I can't hate on the guy too much.
  • as for his acting... ... hah, he just doesn't do it for me. Not that I could do a better "coma boy" to struggling normal boy but i wasn't too bought in.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 08-17-2009 at 09:30 PM
ChibiT89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Hey, 'Tos. I think that if Thanh entered the Colin Wars he/she (I'm not very good identifying genders) would be on my side.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Master Fan

Hee, I think everyone would be on your side. I honestly used to think that everyone liked Colin. Ah, blissful ignorance. It's so much nicer there.

Quote:
Honestly? he's not even "there" in my book. Maybe it's because I started on season 2. Maybe it's because he talks...by...using...one...liners. He doesn't warrant any opinion from me. is that cruel? hah.
If that's cruel, than everyone else here is cruel too. Except me.

What made you decide to check out Everwood in S2 by the way? Had you heard about S1 and wanted to check out S2, or did you just happen upon the show? Pretty dark season to join the show, but that's not really a bad thing with this show.
Reply   Post New Thread