Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Master Fan

The Everwood Rewatch Fest: "Deer God" (S1, Ep. 5)

We'll keep this up for one week and then go on to the next episode. After you've watched the episode, you can comment on it anyway you'd like, big or small. You can focus on certain characters, scenes, quotes, or the episode as a whole. You can tie the episode to the rest of the series, or comment about it as a self-contained episode. It's all up to you! You can always give your thoughts after the one week period, as all rewatch threads will stay open for more thoughts and anymore discussion. Thanks!

Thanks to Leo's awesome work for this sweet graphic!

Deer God

Written By: Michael Green
Directed By: Arlene Sanford

Quote:
Original Air Date—14 October 2002
After a lost deer makes the Browns' backyard its new home, Andy insists on accompanying Ephram, who decides to help the animal find its way home to the wilderness. Meanwhile, Ephram finally admits to Amy that he never asked his father to consider operating on her boyfriend, Colin, who is in a coma; and Delia questions the existence of God.
Imdb

If you haven't already, please feel free to comment on our previous episodes:

The Pilot
The Great Doctor Brown
Friendly Fire
The Kissing Bridge
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood

Last edited by 'Tos; 04-30-2009 at 10:00 PM
Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Master Fan

We've got a funky graphic added in thanks to Leo who I'm sure I'm going to make blush, hee. The colour even blends into the background of the board! *head explodes*

I've been out all day so I haven't had the time to get to it, but I'm looking forward to getting to Michael Green's first episode. Now there's a Greenie. Ho ho ho, terriblepunsrule!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 05-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Dear God, Leo.....your graphic is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

Leo, you are a wonderful little "Gem" for our board.

You have to teach us how to do that!

I am also guilty of not rewatching as of yet. I must get to that this weekend.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 05-01-2009 at 04:05 AM
Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Addicted Fan

Thank you both so much, Betty and 'Tos.

But I'm a terrible teacher... if you want to make graphics yourself, my advice would be, just get a graphic program and practice... try things out a little bit... I hear there are some pretty good ones out there for free... I'll pm you with some links, wouldn't want to spam the thread even more.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I'll pm you with some links, wouldn't want to spam the thread even more.

That would be super!! :
Old 05-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Dear God, Leo.....your graphic is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!
Hee, was the "Dear God" intentional with the title of the episode? If so, awesome.

Looking forward to your first graphic, Betty.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Hee, was the "Dear God" intentional with the title of the episode? If so, awesome.
Yes, it was. See, I'm a clever writer as well. :

Quote:
Looking forward to your first graphic, Betty.
Don't hold your breath.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

My thoughts on the episode:

Funny lines.....

- Andy: Stay back...it might have a gun.

- Ephram: Deer have antlers?

- Andy: (to the deer) Maybe you'd like to move on to the winter tulips.

- Delia: God could like cookies.

- Amy: (to Harold) Doctor Brown? you so have a crush on him.

Other thoughts:

- Miss Violet: "Your people"....how obnoxious was she! I can't imagine a teacher with worse characteristics.

- Poor Harold was so desperate to impress Andy. He really had some serious self-esteem issues.

- Poor Andy...he can't even make simple conversation with Ephram without Ephram tearing into him rudely.
Ephram even fired Andy!

- Delia: (after realizing that God performed a miracle with the gas tank) "Hi, Dad!!!" How adorable was she!

Favorite scenes/qualities:

- I loved the heartfelt conversation between Andy and Ephram at the campfire. Andy really opened up to Ephram about his difficulties in dealing with life and Ephram (for the first time) seemed to understand.

- Great moment: Ephram grabbed the animal control guy's rope and said: "Hold on a second there, Elmer...

- The analogy of the deer and his destroyed habitat/ Ephram and his destroyed home in New York (without Julia) was perfect.

- The acting was beautiful (especially Ephram's).

Complaint: Why was Harold so rude to Ephram? All Ephram did was show up and knock on the door and Harold's response was a rude & disgusted "You!" With a greeting like that...it's no wonder that Ephram felt like vomiting.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 05-02-2009 at 06:48 PM
Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Is anyone else going to rewatch this episode?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Master Fan

...At some point?

Ugh, sorry, I still haven't even gotten to "The Kissing Bridge." Though, as I never particularly liked that one anyway, but did already post a couple of thoughts on things from and sort of distantly-related to the episode in its thread, maybe for now I'll just skip over it and go right to this one. I do have some controversial opinions on "Deer God," so I'm sure you all want to hear those, hee.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yes, yes! We like controversy. :
Old 05-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Complaint: Why was Harold so rude to Ephram? All Ephram did was show up and knock on the door and Harold's response was a rude & disgusted "You!" With a greeting like that...it's no wonder that Ephram felt like vomiting.
Because Ephram has tuberculosis?

I thought this was the first...drop in quality, in comparison to the first 4. Ephram's breakdown doesn't move me as much as before...the writing there is good, but something about the performance doesn't click upon rewatch.

Michael's writing in the scene where Ephram's talking about Andy's "psychotic sense of destiny" was pretty bad. He saved most of it with a good quip, but it was too..treacly? I guess.

I also loved the scene with Delia and Edna beside the mountains. A nice quiet scene between two great characters. What more could you ask?
Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views.

-Squall Leonhart
Old 05-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Because Ephram has tuberculosis?
A future felon with tuberculosis.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Is anyone else going to rewatch this episode?
Definitely! I'm quite excited for it. "Deer God" was always one of my faves. I actually think it's better, by quite a margin, than "The Kissing Bridge", so to the naysayers.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Addicted Fan

I can't wait to watch it.... but school... it's always there, that horrible thing. I don't know if I'll be able to watch "Deer God", soon... most of it is in my head, but... well, I'll try to watch it... maybe next weekend.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread