Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I figure everyone else lied (or just refused to comment) and it became Ephram's word against Colin's. Honestly, after seeing what Colin did to the room they were probably all scared if they spoke up that it would be their head he bashed in next. Dude punched Bright four times (even though Bright refused to try to defend himself) after almost breaking Ephram's arm. Colin was terrifying at this point. It took a lot of guts for Ephram to speak out, IMO.
Hmm. Good point. I never thought about a kind of coverup. It does make sense with how intimidating his insanity is here, and how everyone in town except for the Browns are turning a blind eye to him deteriorating.

Ephram probably speaks out mostly because he wants to see Colin get help, eh? Aw, well, now I like Ephram even more in this episode!
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
'Tos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
Hmm. Good point. I never thought about a kind of coverup. It does make sense with how intimidating his insanity is here, and how everyone in town except for the Browns are turning a blind eye to him deteriorating.

Ephram probably speaks out mostly because he wants to see Colin get help, eh? Aw, well, now I like Ephram even more in this episode!
Plus I think he was probably kind of scared for Amy's sake. He didn't want Colin to go into a rage against Amy and have her end up hurt because everyone wanted to sweep the extent of Colin's illness under the rug.
Taryn74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Master Fan

I just finished this episode, and I'm honestly too drenched in emotions right now to form too many coherent thoughts on it... But it was undoubtedly brilliant.
I know I'm often alone with my opinion on Colin, but I love him. Even in this episode. When he was talking to the reporter about his first few days after the surgery and how he just couldn't do it again, it kinda brought full circle, exactly how he was so terrified to admit his true psychological state to Andy in the first place.

I loved the character so much, despite how doomed he was from the beginning. The entire story was just... so absolutely beautiful.

I'll come back with more thoughts later.
serendipity or fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucas_Is_Love (View Post)
I just finished this episode, and I'm honestly too drenched in emotions right now to form too many coherent thoughts on it... But it was undoubtedly brilliant.
I know I'm often alone with my opinion on Colin, but I love him. Even in this episode. When he was talking to the reporter about his first few days after the surgery and how he just couldn't do it again, it kinda brought full circle, exactly how he was so terrified to admit his true psychological state to Andy in the first place.

I loved the character so much, despite how doomed he was from the beginning. The entire story was just... so absolutely beautiful.

I'll come back with more thoughts later.
I am looking forward to your thoughts. You are not alone in your opinion of Colin. There are many on this board who loved Colin.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Master Fan

So great to have you on the rewatch, Chelsea!

This was a hard episode for me to like Colin because of how he acts towards Ephram, but it's also a sympathetic episode for him because it's the moment when he really snaps and is probably beyond real help other than the surgery at the end of the season. Huge turning point for him. Sadly. So, yeah, I definitely can see why you would love him even in this one where he's kind of a jerk even when he is sympathetic, heh.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 06-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can too, Tos. Some of his tendancies he cannot control. But he was trying and that was something he never had to do before. I can see both sides too. I just have an Ephram/Amy heart and it sorta breaks a little if I put Colin in the mix
{EphramAmy}
patricia
break the window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternativechick (View Post)
I can too, Tos. Some of his tendancies he cannot control. But he was trying and that was something he never had to do before. I can see both sides too. I just have an Ephram/Amy heart and it sorta breaks a little if I put Colin in the mix
Oh, I know. I'm an Ephram/Amy fan too, so I definitely understand it. I just think Colin was incredibly complex for a character who was only going to exist for half a season. As you've said a few times, most shows would never even have him wake up. Not only did Everwood have him wake up, but they had him develop, deteriorate, deal with his own mortality, and die. Heavy and complex stuff for a character who only existed for about 1/8th of the show, you know?
Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

but have an impact lasting longer than the character did
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Master Fan

Exactly. And that's what a death should do. Julia doesn't even last an episode and is just in flashbacks, and her impact is felt for FOUR years of these peoples lives. Colin lasts half a season and his death has such an impact on Amy as you will see. Not enough shows do that, make deaths meaningful like that. But they are. Or at least they should be.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

And they have forever shaped the characters. Amy is who she is because she loved Colin and devoted her life to Colin. And she is who she is becuase she gave her full heart to Ephram. I don't think Amy ever really loved Colin like she said she did or the way she acted. I think Amy didn't know the difference between falling in love for real and just loving someone.
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 06-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternativechick (View Post)
I don't think Amy ever really loved Colin like she said she did or the way she acted. I think Amy didn't know the difference between falling in love for real and just loving someone.
This is exactly it, and (IMO) it's an age issue. Amy was what, 15 when Colin had his accident? And they had been together for about a year by then (I think...gah as much time as I spend talking about it, I should really know this show better ), so her love for him was still a very childish love. And then with Colin being in a coma for so long, it gave Amy time to fantasize about their relationship and build it up in her own mind to the point that it was no longer realistic. So when Colin woke up, not only did he have to struggle with everybody wanting him to be who he used to be, he had to deal with Amy wanting him to be who she had built him up to be. And he just couldn't do that - nobody could.

Huh. I just realized there's a parallel there between the way Amy built Colin up to almost perfection in her mind, and the way Ephram built Julia up in his mind. It took Colin waking up for us to really get to see the real him, and it took Ephram finding out about Julia's affair for us to see she wasn't always perfect either. Good work, Berlanti.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

exactly. everyday Amy thought of the moment that Colin would wake up and everything would be just like it was. You can't blame her on that. But given that she expected Colin to be the same exact person as he was...no one can expect that, no one should expect that. But then to make everyone else believe it too. if Amy really knew Colin, or really thought about what would actually happen when Colin would come home, she wouldn't have had the big pep rally at his house. There would be a breather. And then for Colin to come back as the exact opposite as he was....that was worse. Amy tried so hard to be Colin's girlfriend that she turned into someone completely different. She wanted to live out the fantasy that was Colin, in her imagination. But she fell short and that's where Ephram came in
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 06-12-2010, 05:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
exactly. everyday Amy thought of the moment that Colin would wake up and everything would be just like it was
Unfortunately, she removed from her mind the fact that they had been fighting before his accident...and things were not always so beautiful.
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Amy chose to remember what she wanted to, what made her happy. She did that so long she forgot that Colin was a jerk that day to her
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 PM
Master Fan

I agree with that, you two. Amy seemed to put all the bad times with Colin out of her mind. It's kind of like when he came back and was deteriorating, she would just kind of...put it out of mind so that she could focus on having him back and how perfect things were. If things are going so beautifully in a relationship, you shouldn't have to try and pretend that the fights never happened.
Reply   Post New Thread