Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Paul, I can't wait to hear your opinions on Ephram/Madison. That has been a controversial topic for Everwood fans. (there is an E/M thread...probably buried on page 3).
Old 01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Dedicated Fan

Thanks Betty.. Ohh that was so weird.. when Madison/ Sarah Lancaster appeared it was like an epiphany of sorts Then I saw her bio and remembered her from "What About Brian" which was shown here a yr or so back.

I can imagine the controversy.. heh.. enough to start shipping wars on Everwood

I won't comment a lot now as the relationship is still floundering ie Ep 16... although I was heartbroken when Amy arrived to support Ephram's driving test, only to find E and Madison kissing.. Particularly after Bright convinced Amy to pursue Ephram. ( Bright was so sweet)
I almost jumped through the screen.. Ugh!!! I was shattered!!

Thanks for the link to E/M thread.. I'll check it out in a few days when this story arc reaches an END??!! ..
Old 01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
Master Fan

Ooh, 2x16, that's a good one. I don't want to spoil it in case you meant another episode, but ooh, one of my favourites of season two.

Just going to bump this up because you were talking about the Colin cliffhanger of season one, so what did you think of the first few minutes of season two, the Colin reveal? Cruel and unusual punishment, or damn good drama?

And were you right in thinking that he was dead while you were waiting for the DVDs? Or did you think he might be alive?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
And were you right in thinking that he was dead while you were waiting for the DVDs? Or did you think he might be alive?
I was lucky enough not to get spoiled on this... My first thought was a vegetative state and then the anguish of turning off the machine..(I'm glad we didn't get that.. far to much melodrama ).. secondly I figured he had to be dead..

Quote:
so what did you think of the first few minutes of season two, the Colin reveal? Cruel and unusual punishment, or damn good drama?
At first I wanted to know straight up what had happened, but in reflection I thought it was handled well.
We see Colin's death through the characters POV and in typical Everwood fashion, it leaves much of the questions for us to ponder and decide the rights and wrongs.
We see Andy's humanity as opposed to his maverick Neurosurgeon persona and how that effects others. Part of me agrees with his Contract with Colin, while another part wanted Andy to be the genius we know he is and save Colin.
And we start to see the maturity of Ephram in his empathy and support to his Dad.
And of course the sorrow, anger the Lost Amy.

I’m rambling here… but there is so much in this episode in revealing Colin's death that eventually defines much of Season 2

Damn good drama... there was no clear knowledge or understanding until it was revealed through the characters. Beautifully written and directed
Old 01-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I was lucky enough not to get spoiled on this... My first thought was a vegetative state and then the anguish of turning off the machine..(I'm glad we didn't get that.. far to much melodrama ).. secondly I figured he had to be dead..
Interesting. I never considered the vegetative state option, but it would have made a lot of sense with Colin not wanting to be in that state, and maybe there could have been a conflict with what Amy would want to do, and it probably could have set off the same chain of events with him ultimately dying. But yeah, probably too melodramatic.

How often are you watching the episodes? Do you get through a good amount per day? I would totally do that too, by the way. I just wouldn't be able to wait. Imagine what we had to go through not getting an episode for a week, or a summer break, or the show being in hiatus for three months (as it was in season four). Torture! While there's some benefits to watching it weekly, be glad you didn't have to go through the horrible treatment this show had all throughout its run by the WB.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 01-07-2009, 03:35 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
How often are you watching the episodes? Do you get through a good amount per day?
Oh I'm a glutton.. I've watched the first 2 seasons in just over a month. lol.. sometimes I watch 4-5 eps till 3am and then go to work..
I really have to slow it down... as I want it to last...but I can't help myself

I agree it must have been torture waiting all those years see it all.. But you probably digested it much better.. I need to re-watch.. to pick up the small details /moments and subtleties that you miss in the first viewing.
I've finished S2 in just over a week.. and it all seems a bit of a blur. So a re-watch is needed. And it will help when I comment here.

I have an enforced slow down, as my S3 set has a blank disc I'll have to wait several weeks till I get a replacement..

Madison getting pregnant rocked my E/A world.. I fear nothing good will come of this
Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I have an enforced slow down, as my S3 set has a blank disc I'll have to wait several weeks till I get a replacement..
Oh, no!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
New Fan

Quote:
NO NO NO! that is awful

Well folks I am steaming ahead with my naughty downloads, I have now seen all of season 2 and have paused mid way through season 3 episode 5 to look at this thread. Won't mention anything of season 3 as do not want to spoil it for Paul.

If I can comment on the whole Colin thing, I did think he would end up in vegetative state and Amy wouldn't want the machine turned off. I think him dying was the best way to end it and consequently Amy's spiral into depression.

But Andy annoyed me walking round like he had done something wrong. He followed Colin's wishes and I wish he had made that known at the memorial service in the school. He wasn't supposed to be bothered by successful medical procedures over quality of life anymore. I can't remember what episode it was in but it was him in New York and he told a patient to get out of the hospital and spend his last few months with his family rather than undergo the operation and endure months of drug treatment and hospitalisation stating that the hospital was only concerned with statistics and not quality of life.

The Madison/Ephram thing was incredibly sweet. I did love Ephram's swings from mature for his years to typical 16 year old kid with his jealousy. I'm a hardcore Ephram/Amy person

And yes I already have season 4 but I want to recap the other story lines first so that I am not sat there thinking, hang on, what the hell is this? When did that happen??? It is nice to sit and watch and be reminded.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklestar (View Post)

But Andy annoyed me walking round like he had done something wrong. He followed Colin's wishes and I wish he had made that known at the memorial service in the school.
I was equally annoyed. It was horrible how the townspeople turned against Andy after Colin's death. When does that ever happen? Not all surgeries are successful...if they were......no one would ever die!
The way that Amy spoke to Andy at the restaurant was also terrible. Even if Andy did announce to everyone what Colin's wishes were, Amy and most of the town would still be angry because they would believe that Andy should not have agreed to Colin's wishes.

Quote:
He wasn't supposed to be bothered by successful medical procedures over quality of life anymore. I can't remember what episode it was in but it was him in New York and he told a patient to get out of the hospital and spend his last few months with his family rather than undergo the operation and endure months of drug treatment and hospitalisation stating that the hospital was only concerned with statistics and not quality of life.
This is from the Pilot episode.....shortly after Julia's death.

Quote:
The Madison/Ephram thing was incredibly sweet. I did love Ephram's swings from mature for his years to typical 16 year old kid with his jealousy. I'm a hardcore Ephram/Amy person
I am also a hardcore Ephram/Amy person, but also believed the Madison/Ephram was sweet. It was, for the most part, a good thing for Ephram. It enabled him to grow in both maturity and confidence. He was no longer considered a "geek". This resulted in Ephram catching up to Amy socially and even surpassing her a little. This was good. Ephram needed that.
I could have really done without the baby drama, however!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Master Fan

I rather liked Ephram/Madison, too -- as someone who was not a hardcore Ephram/Amy fan, it was kind of nice to see Ephram fall for someone else for awhile, and, as a hardcore Ephram fan, it was nice to see someone reciprocate his feelings.

Though, I never gave the age difference all that much thought at the time that S2 was airing. It wasn't until last year, when I was teaching students roughly Ephram's age, and was myself just a year older than Madison had been, that I revisited S2 and thought: "Ewwww." Heh. At least Ephram didn't seem 16, so there was that, I suppose.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
. At least Ephram didn't seem 16, so there was that, I suppose.
Well, he did have that "Old Soul".
Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
But Andy annoyed me walking round like he had done something wrong. He followed Colin's wishes and I wish he had made that known at the memorial service in the school. He wasn't supposed to be bothered by successful medical procedures over quality of life anymore.
Quote:
I was equally annoyed. It was horrible how the townspeople turned against Andy after Colin's death. When does that ever happen? Not all surgeries are successful...if they were......no one would ever die!
The way that Amy spoke to Andy at the restaurant was also terrible. Even if Andy did announce to everyone what Colin's wishes were, Amy and most of the town would still be angry because they would believe that Andy should not have agreed to Colin's wishes.
I thought this all made a lot of sense. In "Home", Andy talked about how Colin is at the center of this town, and his mentor, Dr. Douglas explicitly told him NOT to do the surgery. He knew Colin too well, he was too well known in the town, and he would be affected no matter what the outcome would be. He was too involved. It was all foreshadowed when Dr. Douglas said that Andy wouldn't be a town's savior, he'd be a "child's executioner". Andy still went forward with it, despite knowing Colin as well as he did. Which is good drama and he was trying to do the right thing and all good stuff, but Dr. Douglas ended up being absolutely right, and Andy never listened to him despite how clear Dr. Douglas was about not doing the surgery.

And the child's executioner is what people in Everwood would have seen no matter what Andy said. They idolized Colin, and made him into something he could never be (just like Carl). They ignored his problems just like Amy did because of that. And then there's this new man in town, this outsider, and their idol is dead.

Just how I see it, but I loved that aspect of it, that it all followed just exactly as Dr. Douglas said; "The Last of Summer" is all in that conversation in "Home". Andy made a choice, and he had to live with the consequences, unfair ones but Colin was special to that town and he knew the consequences of being the one to take away the town's hero. Good drama.

Quote:
Madison getting pregnant rocked my E/A world.. I fear nothing good will come of this
I don't think much does, hee. But there's some great drama and some nice darkness and gloom coming, which is all kinds of fun! That not only rocked my E/A world, but it rocked my Everwood world. I say this way too much, but I almost turned off Everwood for good after that moment, but luckily I didn't. I mean, who would co-mod ya'll with Betty?

And you gals are daft on Ephram/Madison, heh. It ended up being really good for him, he needed someone to build his confidence and have a real relationship with, but it was borrrring. Hee, no, I just never cared for Madison much.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
And the child's executioner is what people in Everwood would have seen no matter what Andy said. They idolized Colin, and made him into something he could never be (just like Carl). They ignored his problems just like Amy did because of that. And then there's this new man in town, this outsider, and their idol is dead.
It did make sense.....when you consider what Dr. Douglas said.....but it didn't make it right. It just showed how ignorant and closed minded Everwoodians sometimes were.

Quote:
And you gals are daft on Ephram/Madison, heh. It ended up being really good for him, he needed someone to build his confidence and have a real relationship with, but it was borrrring. Hee, no, I just never cared for Madison much.
Boring? Now, I wouldn't say that all of their scenes were boring.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
It did make sense.....when you consider what Dr. Douglas said.....but it didn't make it right. It just showed how ignorant and closed minded Everwoodians sometimes were.
Oh, I definitely agree with that. I always loved when Harold made fun of the lot of 'em, hee. They deserved it!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
Oh, no!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklestar
NO NO NO! that is awful
Thanks for sympathy but I'll be ok *sniff*.. I'm told the disc is in the mail.. and the missing Eps are 9,10,11 & 12.. so I'm all go to S3 #8.. thats like 2 months normal viewing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklestar
Won't mention anything of season 3 as do not want to spoil it for Paul.
Don't worry about saying stuff on my account.. I've developed a nose for spoilers.. if in doubt I'm outta here
I'm glad you're enjoying the missing link episodes.. Have you watched all S4 previously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos
Sorry to be ganging up on the girls but I have to agree.
Madison did help Ephram grow and become more self assured, but I never quite got on board with the relationship.
In the first Madison scenes she came across as a wise cracking/know it all ( maybe that was her way of breaking the ice with Ephram??!!)..And the age/life style thing was a problem for me.. It got very cringe worthy around the 21st B/Day party and the band situations..
She's a gorgeous woman, but I didn't warm to her character.

Last edited by Sky_Dreamer; 01-07-2009 at 11:48 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread