Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ugh, people
Old 06-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

On the plus side, the homophobic tweet seems to have brought out more intelligent people who are saying Graeme and Co. are not homophobic but still claim OB could have done better. Kumbaya. Olive branches. Understanding. (Probably not, but the Supreme Court ruling makes anything possible. )
Old 06-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosimasWeed (View Post)
Actually, someone just called Graeme homophobic on Twitter and it brought him out of hiding:

"@kumarihpx @OrphanBlack #SaveDelphine Pls, calling us homophobic insults our entire cast, crew and all we try to do. It's 2 great a day. K?"

I'm appalled that someone called him homophobic (*facepalm*), but I knew it would happen eventually. He's not. OB is not, obvs. But they have written a storyline that can be very much read as problematic and perpetuative of a hurtful trope.

Anyway, I hope no one uses that word again...but at least we know they're reading all of it.
hmmm.. that's really inappropriate word.

But I hope they won't use it as a leverage and it won't end with GM choosing to answer only to those few (I hope) offensive tweets at the same time ignoring the rest which in a result will make the fans look crazy and solve their problem with explanations.
Maybe I am paranoid, but I need some justice!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataliza (View Post)

But I hope they won't use it as a leverage and it won't end with GM choosing to answer only to those few (I hope) offensive tweets at the same time ignoring the rest which in a result will make the fans look crazy and solve their problem with explanations.
I know. That's the first time I saw the word "homophobic" spewed all week. I understand how that might get on his last nerve, and I also understand that it's irritating he would choose that one comment to respond to. Things seemed to calm down quick though. Lots of intelligent comments followed and, like I said, they're reading them. Can't really ask for more.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:37 PM
RH!
New Fan

Quote:
On the plus side, the homophobic tweet seems to have brought out more intelligent people who are saying Graeme and Co. are not homophobic but still claim OB could have done better. Kumbaya. Olive branches. Understanding. (Probably not, but the Supreme Court ruling makes anything possible. )
I really dont like seeing the H word getting thrown around when thats not true in this case at all, I can think of a lot of ways Id describe it that are way more accurate. Hopefully Graeme doesnt have a fit now & kills Delphine just to spite people.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:45 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nataliza (View Post)

I hope that at least GM sees the point people are trying to make though.

This reminds me of Margot's super offensive "lesbian sleeping with a man" storyline on Hannibal last year. People were outraged about it -- and some even called it homophobic, even though the creator of Hannibal, Bryan Fuller, is a gay man -- and BF was super defensive about the storyline and it was a big mess.

BUT in the end BF realized that the people who'd been upset really did have valid points and he later admitted all of it and (essentially) apologized. And now Margot's gonna have a relationship with a lead female character who's bisexual.

Point being, I hope GM and JF can scale down their own egos a bit and look at the point that people are trying to make here. YES some people might have phrased things the wrong way, but it doesn't make their points less valid. Killing off a queer female character is a HORRIBLE trope and the writers have already acknowledged it as such! So hopefully they can be mature and realize what people are actually trying to say.
S T A R D U S T
Old 06-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yes, I just made a similar point on another board. There are very legitimate arguments being made about a rather egregious representation issue they just perpetuated. If they choose to hide behind the comments of one idiot instead of consider the true issue, that's their problem.

Also, the idea that people should shut up, be quiet and hope that they'll do the right thing on their own is historically inaccurate. Marriage equality didn't evolve on the winds of silent prayers, for example. And every queer TV character is there because someone demanded it. Every gain comes because people demanded better from TPTB, whoever they are. Queer characters are getting more representation, but they're still getting killed off at an alarming rate. Pointing that out is absolutely legitimate.

That Bryan Fuller incident is an excellent point. I understand that Sally Wainwright has also admitted she made an error in killing of Kate in Last Tango in Halifax. I hope John and Graeme will realize how they could have done better, too.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:39 PM
RH!
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla (View Post)
I hope that at least GM sees the point people are trying to make though.

This reminds me of Margot's super offensive "lesbian sleeping with a man" storyline on Hannibal last year. People were outraged about it -- and some even called it homophobic, even though the creator of Hannibal, Bryan Fuller, is a gay man -- and BF was super defensive about the storyline and it was a big mess.

BUT in the end BF realized that the people who'd been upset really did have valid points and he later admitted all of it and (essentially) apologized. And now Margot's gonna have a relationship with a lead female character who's bisexual.

Point being, I hope GM and JF can scale down their own egos a bit and look at the point that people are trying to make here. YES some people might have phrased things the wrong way, but it doesn't make their points less valid. Killing off a queer female character is a HORRIBLE trope and the writers have already acknowledged it as such! So hopefully they can be mature and realize what people are actually trying to say.
From what Ive seen the vast majority have been going about this the right way and that makes me pretty happy. Of course those that arent are usually the ones who TPTB & other viewers who they use to paint the whole fandom as a bunch of crazies and dismiss the valid arguments made by others. Just because they had a replacement already in place doesnt mean they didnt execute a trope that they have themselves talked about how wrong it was.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:44 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH! (View Post)
Just because they had a replacement already in place doesnt mean they didnt execute a trope that they have themselves talked about how wrong it was.
This is actually the biggest thing that gives me hope that Delphine is not in fact dead, and this whole thing with Shay is just a big fake out. The writers have themselves acknowledged the lameness of the dead tragic lesbian lovers trope--would they really perpetrate it themselves?

I wonder, how will we all respond if they do bring Delphine back alive next season? Will we quickly forgive the bloody cliffhanger and get back on board with the show? I suppose it depends in large part on how they explain her actions in the finale, and how they handle her relationship with Cosima. I for one will be so pissed if Delphine is alive and they still continue the absurd triangle with Shay.

Speaking of Shay, I was struck by the fact that the official OB posts in support of the Supreme Court decision today we're all about Delphine and Cosima. If Shay and Cos are the next big thing and the endgame love affair of the show, shouldn't they have been featured? I guess the show runners realized that naked Shay and Cos with a toy car was not exactly up to the profundity of the day's events.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFan (View Post)
I guess the show runners realized that naked Shay and Cos with a toy car was not exactly up to the profundity of the day's events.
So true! And I noticed that too.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Also, the idea that people should shut up, be quiet and hope that they'll do the right thing on their own is historically inaccurate. Marriage equality didn't evolve on the winds of silent prayers, for example. And every queer TV character is there because someone demanded it. Every gain comes because people demanded better from TPTB, whoever they are. Queer characters are getting more representation, but they're still getting killed off at an alarming rate. Pointing that out is absolutely legitimate.
THIS.

Quote:
That Bryan Fuller incident is an excellent point. I understand that Sally Wainwright has also admitted she made an error in killing of Kate in Last Tango in Halifax. I hope John and Graeme will realize how they could have done better, too.
Oh man, I know someone who watched Last Tango and she was SO PISSED about Kate being killed. And she's usually not one to get all that up in arms about the death of fictional characters, so you knew it was pretty ****ty.

Quote:
Of course those that arent are usually the ones who TPTB & other viewers who they use to paint the whole fandom as a bunch of crazies and dismiss the valid arguments made by others.
Well, that's how I felt BF would react too and then Hannibal S3 and all of his later comments happened and I was like, just totally blown away by it. You usually don't see that from showrunners, especially if they'd been THAT aggressive about defending the stupid thing their show did.

Quote:
This is actually the biggest thing that gives me hope that Delphine is not in fact dead, and this whole thing with Shay is just a big fake out. The writers have themselves acknowledged the lameness of the dead tragic lesbian lovers trope--would they really perpetrate it themselves?
This.

And I'm sorry, but someone at OB may have "spoiled" to OBCrack that Delphine was gonna die, but somehow I doubt that ANY of tptb would leak a spoiler like that, even if they thought it was a confidential source. I mean, really, living near LA I know people who work in the entertainment industry and that **** is kept on serious lockdown because people can easily lose their jobs. So "someone" might have "spoiled" Delphine's death, but it doesn't mean they were telling the truth, lbr. (And wasn't there a post like, after S2, that said Delphine wouldn't be back for S3 because there was an "inside source" who said EBro wasn't well-liked by the cast and crew???? ) Basically, this kind of **** just isn't reliable.
S T A R D U S T
Old 06-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Something to celebrate today, PLEASE don't get sad
Old 06-26-2015, 10:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:

I wonder, how will we all respond if they do bring Delphine back alive next season? Will we quickly forgive the bloody cliffhanger and get back on board with the show? I suppose it depends in large part on how they explain her actions in the finale, and how they handle her relationship with Cosima. I for one will be so pissed if Delphine is alive and they still continue the absurd triangle with Shay.

Speaking of Shay, I was struck by the fact that the official OB posts in support of the Supreme Court decision today we're all about Delphine and Cosima. If Shay and Cos are the next big thing and the endgame love affair of the show, shouldn't they have been featured? I guess the show runners realized that naked Shay and Cos with a toy car was not exactly up to the profundity of the day's events.
I keep hoping this is a big fake out, too. I think it could be. However, I don't feel a bit bad about giving them absolute hell about it in the meantime. I have no idea what their plan is and I'm not about to let it go unchallenged just in case.

I have no idea how I would respond to her coming back. I'd watch, but even if it ended up being the most awesome and shippy ending ever, I'd still be ticked that they went there.

I don't know what to make of the OB Supreme Court posts. I mean, they did just shoot Delphine and she and Cosima were the last to kiss, so maybe they don't want to press their luck on a bad week? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmilla (View Post)
THIS.
Oh man, I know someone who watched Last Tango and she was SO PISSED about Kate being killed. And she's usually not one to get all that up in arms about the death of fictional characters, so you knew it was pretty ****ty.

And I'm sorry, but someone at OB may have "spoiled" to OBCrack that Delphine was gonna die, but somehow I doubt that ANY of tptb would leak a spoiler like that, even if they thought it was a confidential source. I mean, really, living near LA I know people who work in the entertainment industry and that **** is kept on serious lockdown because people can easily lose their jobs. So "someone" might have "spoiled" Delphine's death, but it doesn't mean they were telling the truth, lbr. (And wasn't there a post like, after S2, that said Delphine wouldn't be back for S3 because there was an "inside source" who said EBro wasn't well-liked by the cast and crew???? ) Basically, this kind of **** just isn't reliable.
The Tango death was beyond pointless. Just enraging. And Sally Wainwright admitted she wrote two versions and was iffy on kiling her and now thinks she was wrong, but...too late. Dead. OB has a chance to not go through with it.

As for the EBro schedule spoiler, I know she signed for X Company after OB S2, but why would she insist on being written off the show for S4 when she didn't even know XCo would be renewed? Her XCo contract may have made it so she couldn't guarantee her availability for the whole season, like S3, but she also might have been completely available if XCo had been canceled. The idea that in June 2014 she said looked at Oct 2015 to March 2016 and said "Nope" to show that gave her the most exposure of her career seems odd. It seems the possibilities were her schedule could be as bad as S3 (6 episodes) or could be better. Worse didn't seem to be an option. I don't know, blaming her just seems fishy (and tacky). Overall, I call absolute BS that she can't appear in S4.

And I remember that EBro isn't well-liked rumor. Right. She has such a ****ty reputation.

Happy Thought of the Day: KS isn't going to Comic-Con! I was really afraid they'd push her right out there. She could be added, I guess. But I was more relieved to read that than I thought I'd be.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Happy Thought of the Day: KS isn't going to Comic-Con!
I KNOW, awesome
Old 06-27-2015, 04:36 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I guess the show runners realized that naked Shay and Cos with a toy car was not exactly up to the profundity of the day's events.
OMG

Quote:
Yes, I just made a similar point on another board. There are very legitimate arguments being made about a rather egregious representation issue they just perpetuated.
I hope something good will come out of it