Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
add a little visual in your head of Alicia rolling her eyes to the high heavens after every line.
exactly how I was picturing it.

Quote:
And my point about alienating Diane was pretty much what you are talking about. She made it a point to be extra friendly with Will, and spoke to him more often than Diane. Same with Alicia.
and she wasn't trying to be subtle at it. I don't think Alicia picked up on it. Diane certainly did but it looks like she was expecting it. Will didn't seem to care.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 03-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
and she wasn't trying to be subtle at it. I don't think Alicia picked up on it. Diane certainly did but it looks like she was expecting it. Will didn't seem to care.
HAHA I know, it was such a strange scene! Pretty funny hehe

"I want a happy life. And I want to control my own fate."
--- Alicia Florrick
Old 03-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Extreme Fan

Okay so the writers gave an interview somewhere that they think of the seasons of TGW as chapters in Alicia's life. I really can't think of what the theme for S2 for Alicia has been so far. She's been on the edges of most of the full speed ahead drama on the show this season. I love the season and how fast stories have moved (mostly) but I can't figure out what Alicia's story has been.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Loyal Fan

I havn't figured it out ether. Wasn't this season supposed to be about Alicia taking control of her life? There hasn't been much of that. Somehow, standing on the sidelines and looking in doesn't count. I'm hoping that with the resolution of the firm politics and after Kalinda kicks blake's six straight into next year, maybe we'll get some Alicia time. I'd really like that.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:42 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by witgit (View Post)
I think Viola gave the paper to Alicia for two reasons. One, to make Alicia feel important, since she must have known that she wanted to make a job offer to her by then. And second, to make Diane look alienated. Viola and Diane are sworn enemies now apparently and since Diane was the one sitting across from her (IIRC) she normally should have given it to Diane.
It was really more of a mind game. There's a psychological weakness to reach out to your opponent ..... even for something as insignificant as a piece of paper. He who is the most powerful reaches for nothing (like royalty!). And there's the worry that your oppontent won't reach back - leaving you to hold your arm extended, until they decide to be merciful or you have to give up (more weakness). Sorry, I can't remember the name of the episode, but you also see this played when Bond & Diane were negotiating in the S/A's office with Childs, Bond wrote "a number" on a piece of paper and offered it to Childs. Who tried to seem so uninterested, he didn't even extend his hand ... Wendy (his assistant) reached for it, and handed it to her boss.

Rather than "reaching out" to offer something - the usual protocol is to put it on the table and push it in the opponent's direction, so that the opponent has to do the reaching to accept it.

By instead passing to Alicia, I think this was just Viola's way of making Diane do some reaching.

Last edited by dirtbikegirl; 03-18-2011 at 06:44 PM Reason: felt the need to over-explain.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Sorry, I can't remember the name of the episode, but you also see this played when Bond & Diane were negotiating in the S/A's office with Childs, Bond wrote "a number" on a piece of paper and offered it to Childs
I think it was Breaking Fast. And that would also be the last time we saw Bond do something meaningful on the show.

Quote:
Wendy (his assistant) reached for it, and handed it to her boss.
In Wendy's case, knowing what we know of her now, it was probably about taking control of the situation and ending the stalemate. And I like how that ties in with Bond and him being a controlled player with his eye on the big picture. He's not the one to give in to instincts that easily.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I really can't think of what the theme for S2 for Alicia has been so far.
beats me. It's a weird feeling. She's been physically present but not really getting her own arc nor really been involved in others' she could have been into (Kalinda's continuing war against Blake, Will and Diane's increasing tension, Peter's campaign).

Quote:
I'm hoping that with the resolution of the firm politics and after Kalinda kicks blake's six straight into next year,
hopefully into another dimension instead. I don't want him back next year! (ok, I realize it's just an expression, I'm just being silly tonight)

Quote:
By instead passing to Alicia, I think this was just Viola's way of making Diane do some reaching.
nice over-explaining and you're right, it did remind me of the Bond/Childs interaction with Childs letting Wendy take the paper.

"You can just call me Root, B!tch"

Old 03-19-2011, 01:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelfling (View Post)
beats me. It's a weird feeling. She's been physically present but not really getting her own arc nor really been involved in others' she could have been into (Kalinda's continuing war against Blake, Will and Diane's increasing tension, Peter's campaign).
I think they were all missed opportunities. We haven't even followed up on the scene in Hybritophilia about Alicia using Peter's connections for her own ascent. And don't get me started on the campaign. The campaign has just been for Eli with Peter making occasional appearances. Alicia seems to be stepping between Kalinda and trouble, and there seems to be trouble brewing on the Peter/Childs front too. Plus, the election and Alicia's concerns about Peter winning were brought up so I am hopeful.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily_Marie (View Post)
I havn't figured it out ether. Wasn't this season supposed to be about Alicia taking control of her life?
Still waiting for it makes me kind of mad Last time we saw her actually making decisions for her was Breaking Fast and Nine Hour.

Quote:
The campaign has just been for Eli with Peter making occasional appearances
gosh so many missed opportunity to make Alicia have some influence and we got nothing.....that to me is probably the most disappointing aspect of all.

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 03-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Extreme Fan

OMG. You guys are right. Alicia really doesn't have a story this year. WTH? She is just there. The only enjoyable arc has been Will's and W/D. Man, I hope for the last few episodes Alicia (and most of the cast) do have stories. I believe I read that Alicia is "observing" Peter and sees what he does. Has this actually happened?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Elite Fan

We all and Alicia feel annoyed at the lack of story line for her

--- Alicia Florrick
Old 03-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I believe I read that Alicia is "observing" Peter and sees what he does. Has this actually happened?
She's observing as opposed to participating in what he does. She doesn't become a part of his campaign or make those decisions with him because she wants to see what he does on his own. Sometimes he does the right thing, and she responds to that like letting go of the PAC. Sometimes he doesn't do the right thing but she doesn't know about it.
All this really boils down to her being removed from the campaign story. Alicia not being a part of all the major arcs this year makes sense when in a way. She can't be a part of the LGB drama because she's just a junior associate. Will has always kept a semblance of a professional distance between them, he never spoke to her about the firm's financial troubles and he doesn't speak to her about the Bond merger and ouster either. But Bond was spying on her and that was one way to bring her into the story. They did, but to a very limited extent.
She's not a part of the Kalinda/Blake thing so far because Kalinda is private and won't really ask for help unless she desperately needs it or the situation gets out of hand. Alicia won't fall for Blake's tricks as we saw in Breaking Fast.
She's been flitting in and out of the kids lives, but that is indicative of the time she is spending in the office v/s the time she gets to spend at home.

What I'm trying to say is that, it can be explained why Alicia did not play a larger part in these stories. What can't be explained is why Alicia does not have a story of her own. Or why is her story not the most important anyway.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:44 AM
Extreme Fan

I agree with you completely Witgit. I don't understand why Alicia doesn't have her own story. Or why we can't "observe" her "observing" Peter
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by witgit (View Post)
What I'm trying to say is that, it can be explained why Alicia did not play a larger part in these stories. What can't be explained is why Alicia does not have a story of her own. Or why is her story not the most important anyway.
Agree with this line of discussion and also don't get it... what you say makes sense logically but Alicia is in many scenes...at first I thougth..maybe JM wanted a lighter workload but she is still there, just storyless.... I don't want to think her story is simply and only tied to P/W...
It is odd, I could see down the road, if they spent a lot of time on alicia's story(ies) early on ... they would then move to the many other great characters... they can't always focus on her... but they have left her on the periphery this season??? And there are not many epis left this year??
Old 03-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
what you say makes sense logically but Alicia is in many scenes...at first I thougth..maybe JM wanted a lighter workload but she is still there, just storyless.... I don't want to think her story is simply and only tied to P/W
Actually Alicia is always in court or at the center of the case of the week. Maybe to the casual viewer she's still as important on the show as she was in S1. But to people like us who watch it more for the ongoing stories than the CotW, she's a little lost these days. Her presence in the CotW is meant to indicate how much time she is spending at work, and how rewarding she finds work. Unfortunately, that is not something I enjoy watching as much and not something that I want to see over and over again. A few lines, and a couple of episodes would have been enough.

I don't think her story is tied only to P/W either. If anything she has been detached from both of them for most of the season. With Will, because she thinks he said they should not pursue anything and then Peter. And from Peter because she wants to be sure about what kind of a man he is first before letting him in.

Without looking at it from the lens of a shipper, I still think that her going to Will after realizing that she is in love with him, despite what Owen expected her to do, was an important moment for Alicia the character. She was putting herself and her own emotions and needs first. She was stepping beyond what was proper or good or risk free and grabbing on to what she thought would bring her happiness.
Quote:
And there are not many epis left this year??
We have seven more episodes including Ham Sandwich. That's one third of the season. So there is still time to turn it around.