Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2021, 07:38 PM
Moderator Support Team

2x18 Episode Discussion: "The Echo of Lost Tears" {6/2/21- SEASON 2 FINALE!}

2x18 - "The Echo of Lost Tears"
Episode Discussion

Carson (Scott Wolf), Ryan (Riley Smith) and the Drew Crew work together to help Nancy (Kennedy McMann).
Leah Lewis, Tunji Kasim, Maddison Jaizani and Alex Saxon also star.

Old 05-31-2021, 07:43 PM
Elite Fan

I feel like I say I'm excited every week but I'm really stoked this week!
gold-steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:50 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold-steps (View Post)
I feel like I say I'm excited every week but I'm really stoked this week!
You do say that!

I'm remaining calm. This season has been incredibly uneven for me, but I can forgive pretty much everything (well...not everything...but 95%) if the finale is AMAZING. Nothing has quite been able to live up to Season 1b for me...so I'm hoping they knock it out of the park.

The same people who wrote 1x16 wrote this finale and that is probably the best episode of the entire show...so
Old 05-31-2021, 08:01 PM
Elite Fan

Agreed about the season being uneven! There have been some great episodes and a few that haven't been good. I hope this one falls in the first category. I'm excited to see them tie up a few things hopefully (and maybe the last of the Bobbseys if we're lucky).

Thanks for adding that about the writers! I didn't know that but 1x16 is a fantastic episode so that's a good sign.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:05 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I'm excited to see them tie up a few things hopefully (and maybe the last of the Bobbseys if we're lucky).

I feel like this episode is supposed to be a culmination of the last 2 seasons for Nancy's character. So hopefully, Nancy can finally attack everything from her past and move on to a happier future (with real therapy too!). But I feel like because this is a supernatural show, she can deal with these issues in a more direct manner.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:15 PM
Elite Fan

I will kind of miss the Fish pictures if we lose the Bobbseys

I hope Nancy can move on too-and maybe get therapy. For a minute there I thought that might have been the thing Kennedy was talking about that she wanted incorporated in season 2, but we haven't seen it and that interview was even before it got renewed for season 3. That will be interesting to see with the supernatural aspects of the show.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:16 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I will kind of miss the Fish pictures if we lose the Bobbseys
We will always have the Fish pictures!

Quote:
For a minute there I thought that might have been the thing Kennedy was talking about that she wanted incorporated in season 2
Which we still never figured out! I thought maybe it was the scarves??? But why would you have to go to the writers about that?
Old 05-31-2021, 08:27 PM
Elite Fan

We never did! I guess it'll be one of the big mysteries surrounding the show
Old 05-31-2021, 08:36 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold-steps (View Post)
We never did! I guess it'll be one of the big mysteries surrounding the show
Apparently!
Old 06-01-2021, 08:55 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken crown (View Post)
You do say that!

I'm remaining calm. This season has been incredibly uneven for me, but I can forgive pretty much everything (well...not everything...but 95%) if the finale is AMAZING. Nothing has quite been able to live up to Season 1b for me...so I'm hoping they knock it out of the park.

The same people who wrote 1x16 wrote this finale and that is probably the best episode of the entire show...so
I don't care how great the finale maybe. I'm against this season. Seriously, it was so weak. I hope over the summer they go back to the drawing board. Go back to what made S1 work. And please get rid of that "The Road Back" crap. I know it sounds harsh, but I'm just being honest.
Muffy_Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:32 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I don't care how great the finale maybe. I'm against this season. Seriously, it was so weak. I hope over the summer they go back to the drawing board. Go back to what made S1 work. And please get rid of that "The Road Back" crap. I know it sounds harsh, but I'm just being honest.
I've actually quite enjoyed this season (with the exception of a few weak episodes). I did miss having an overarching mystery like in season 1, but I give them a free pass because of having to spend the first 5 episodes wrapping up last season, therefore having a truncated season 2 of only 13 episodes, and because the pandemic restrictions probably prevented them from doing a lot of things they might have done otherwise. I LOVE the wraith reveal, although I do wish it had come earlier. But, with such a short season, I can see why it didn't. I'm guessing in the finale, some storylines will either be wrapped up very quickly (making them feel rushed) or they will just be ignored until season3.

I'm excited for the finale, especially because it looks like it's going to be very Whisper Box-ish. I'm a sucker for dream/hallucination/alternate reality sequences, so I'm sure I'll love it. However, with that said, I hope it finds a way to be different than the Whisper Box, because that would be too "been there, done that" if it's another case of Nancy living a different reality in her head.

I agree about The Road Back. While I don't mind supernatural-less mysteries sprinkled into the show here and there, I want to see more ghosts and whatever else Nancy inadvertently released from the Historical Society in 2x05. The Road Back seems like WAY TOO MUCH for these late-teens/early twenties kids to be taking on. I'm hoping it just becomes a Tom Swift thing if that show is picked up.
MsManders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsManders (View Post)
Especially because it looks like it's going to be very Whisper Box-ish. I'm a sucker for a dream /hallucination/alternate reality sequences, so I'm sure I'll love it.
Oh, I'm sucker for that stuff, too. The virus isn't gone, but things are better this year than last year. They have no excuse for future S3 scripts. They need to do a time jump and go back to basics for S3. Even though there was no COVID outbreak doing the VM days, but it also slipped doing S2. I know ND is basically the grandmother of Veronica Mars, but here I go. S1 was so well plotted out. It was a near perfect season of television. But S2 was inferior despite some enjoyable moments, it was a terrible season. And S3 was just bad, even though the season finale was good. I remember Rob saying the CW wanted short mystery arcs for S3, but the writing still was terrible. Even though I ship LoVE, they were settled with bad writing. Logan & Veronica are also perfect characters for professional treatment.
Muffy_Simba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:00 PM
Moderator Support Team

I agree about this season, but I can overlook the mediocrity if the finale is AMAZING (or even excellent).

I've seen so many theories and unanswered questions about the finale that it's impossible to wrap my head around everything...so I'll just comment on a few things.

If you want to comment on anything that is actually a potential spoiler, please use tags.

Quote:
My meager finale predictions (some are cracky LOL):

- The Nancy/Ace promo kiss will be real but will take place in whatever mindscape that Nancy is battling the Wraith in. Nancy will be basically near death, but then Ace will somehow go in there for the assist at great personal risk (a combo of the Whisper Box and McGinnis ritual from 1x08). He plays some role in helping her (maybe as her anchor to the outside world or something) and before they "go back" to the real world they share a very vulnerable moment where Ace confesses he couldn't lose her either. And then they give into their feelings and kiss. The kiss will then live rent-free in their minds during Season 3. No putting that genie back in the bottle. (If the kiss is just in Nancy's head...it really wouldn't create any drama or angst...other than maybe with Nancy remembering it...but if it's "real"...then HELLO DRAMA/ANGST/MUTUAL PINING/LONGING LOOKS and it's in an enough of a "gray" area that your mileage may vary if you consider it "cheating")

- George will tell Nick about her merged life line with Odette. He says they'll find a way to fix it no matter what. Then, Nick will ask her to get married. As for Nick's personal storyline, he already had so much in 2x17 to set up the youth center and his new cafe, I don't know if he necessarily needs anything else. Same with George because it's obvious the Odette storyline will carry over.

- Post-Wraith, Nancy breaks up with Gil using a version of "it's not you, it's my supernatural parasite". He acts like a big baby and says something like "Yeah I was gonna bounce anyway." And then outs her to the press, so now her AND Ryan will be hounded by literally everyone in Season 3. Tamura still won't have a clue...he's dumb as a box of rocks.

- Amanda is a little tougher to predict but I could see Ace and Amanda mutually breaking up. She finally has enough money to travel (due to to all the bribe money from Ryan) and is finally ready to start a new chapter in her life. Maybe she says cute something about him and Nancy. Another possible scenario is Ace breaks up with Amanda saying that she was right about him and Nancy and that it's not fair to lead her on. Amanda is very cool about it (SHE KNEW!) and says she's finally got money to travel and is leaving town to start a new life. Ace also gives her her mom's address in New Mexico. She doesn't know where Gil is...cause he bounced after Nancy dumped him. Maybe Amanda comes back one day after her travels as an out bisexual and becomes a LI for Bess...but honestly I'd rather she just live in off-screen land. Bess needs LIs of her own (slow-burn if possible). If Amanda does stick around, I can't see it being for very long into Season 3...plus IMHO it would make Ace look bad for leading her on...so hopefully that doesn't happen cause it's very cliche. Plus, the Bobbseys are like a package deal for me.

- Bess gets a double cliffhanger: Aunt Diana calls and apologizes for kicking her out of the family. She can get back in...but only if she proves her loyalty to the Marvins. She also gets a hit on her dating profile (maybe it's a new person...maybe it's Lisbeth. IDK!)

- Nancy has a great scene with Carson where they hug it out and tells him she wants to do some online courses with Columbia and get some therapy...and she hopes he'll go to a few sessions with her (and maybe Ryan?).

- After too many brushes with death, Ace seriously starts thinking about studying forensics (John Sander returns??). Maybe he gets an internship at the Morgue in Season 3? Or he starts interning at the police station. His dad is thrilled, but Tamura is not.

- The main cliffhanger will have something to do with the Women in White (and possibly The Road Back...which is basically a supernatural mafia. ). And they've been watching/spying/have "plans" for The Crew. Maybe it has something to with Uncle Josiah (since they keep mentioning him a lot- I know some people think he's Ryan's real dad...but ehhhh what would be the point of that twist?) Maybe there's some Hudson family curse on the males that links Everett with Ryan? And that's why he keep saying "If I go down, you go down with me?" Whatever happens, it will broaden the show's supernatural mythology. Maybe even something apocalypse-y?
Okay, this was fun...but most of these are probably wrong...although I do think the Nancy/Ace kiss being "real" is THE BEST THING they can do for their relationship going into Season 3.

Last edited by broken crown; 06-01-2021 at 06:09 PM
broken crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
The Nancy/Ace promo kiss will be real but will take place in whatever mindscape that Nancy is battling the Wraith in. Nancy will be basically near death, but then Ace will somehow go in there for the assist at great personal risk (a combo of the Whisper Box and McGinnis ritual from 1x08). He plays some role in helping her (maybe as her anchor to the outside world or something) and before they "go back" to the real world they share a very vulnerable moment where Ace confesses he couldn't lose her either. And then they give into their feelings and kiss. The kiss will then live rent-free in their minds during Season 3. No putting that genie back in the bottle. (If the kiss is just in Nancy's head...it really wouldn't create any drama or angst...other than maybe with Nancy remembering it...but if it's "real"...then HELLO DRAMA/ANGST/MUTUAL PINING/LONGING LOOKS and it's in an enough of a "gray" area that your mileage may vary if you consider it "cheating")
Yes, please. I still think its a more traditional post everything kiss, but I will take this. I don't think its enough for Nancy to dream this up. It has to be from his side too.

Quote:
George will tell Nick about her merged life line with Odette. He says they'll find a way to fix it no matter what. Then, Nick will ask her to get married. As for Nick's personal storyline, he already had so much in 2x17 to set up the youth center and his new cafe, I don't know if he necessarily needs anything else. Same with George because it's obvious the WIW storyline will carry over.

Yeah I can see her finally telling him the truth since she has been keeping this from him. I also see him being like no matter what it is, we will fight this together baby.

Quote:
- Post-Wraith, Nancy breaks up with Gil using a version of "it's not you, it's my supernatural parasite". He acts like a big baby and says something like "Yeah I was gonna bounce anyway." And then outs her to the press, so now her AND Ryan will be hounded by literally everyone in Season 3.
I don't think this is necessary because Nancy/Gil are nothing but a glorified booty call. I think people make too much of the bobbseys tbh.

Quote:
Amanda is a little tougher to predict but I could see Ace and Amanda mutually breaking up. She finally has enough money to travel (due to to all the bribe money from Ryan) and is finally ready to start a new chapter in her life. Maybe she says cute something about him and Nancy. Another possible scenario is Ace breaks up with Amanda saying that she was right about him and Nancy and that it's not fair to lead her on. Amanda is very cool about it (SHE KNEW!) and says she's finally got money to travel and is leaving town to start a new life. Ace also gives her her mom's address in New Mexico. She doesn't know where Gil is...cause he bounced after Nancy dumped him. Maybe Amanda comes back one day after her travels as an out bisexual and becomes a LI for Bess...but honestly I'd rather she just live in off-screen land. Bess needs LIs of her own (slow-burn if possible). If Amanda does stick around, I can't see it being for very long into Season 3...plus IMHO it would make Ace look bad for leading her on...so hopefully that doesn't happen cause it's very cliche. Plus, the Bobbseys are like a package deal for me
Amanda needs to go and never come back. IDC if she goes to Timbuktu.

Agree with the rest of your post. I can see those specs coming true.
ds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

ugh dp
ds44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread