Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Star Trek XI Part 5 - The Future Begins

Previous threads: 1, 2, 3. 4

Release Date: May 9, 2009

Star Trek | Official Movie Site | In Theaters May 2009 | Star Trek Movie
MySpace

Simon Pegg (Scotty), Leonard 'Bones' McCoy (Karl Urban), Uhura (Zoe Saldana), Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zackary Quinto), Sulu (John Cho) and Chekov (Anton Yelchin).

Icons

Weekend Box Office - Star Trek Beams Up The Cash
Quote:
J.J. Abrams has done something no other Star Trek director has ever managed: make a ton of money. The most cash any Star Trek film has made previously on its opening weekend was $30 million, earned by Star Trek: First Contact back in 1996. This weekend the first Trek prequel beamed up over $72 million.
Quote:
1. Star Trek * $72,500,000 - Total: $76,500,000 LW: N WR: 1 THTRS: 3,849

2. X-Men Origins: Wolverine $27,000,000 - Total: $129,624,000 LW: 1 WR: 2 THTRS: 4,102

3. Ghosts of Girlfriends Past $10,450,000 - Total: $30,246,000 LW: 2 WR: 2 THTRS: 3,175

4. Obsessed $6,600,000 - Total: $56,247,000 LW: 3 WR: 3 THTRS: 2,602

5. 17 Again $4,405,000 - Total: $54,167,000 LW: 4 WR: 4 THTRS: 2,903
The top movies at the North American box office | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters

Quote:
LOS ANGELES, May 24 (Reuters) - Following are the top 10 films at the North American box office for the three-day
weekend beginning on May 22, led by the new release "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian," according to studio estimates compiled on Sunday by Reuters.
1 (*) Night at the Museum ........... $53.5 million
2 (*) Terminator Salvation .......... $43.0 million
3 (2) Star Trek ...... $22.0 million
4 (1) Angels & Demons ............... $21.4 million
5 (*) Dance Flick .... $11.0 million
6 (3) X-Men Origins: Wolverine ...... $ 7.8 million
The Associated Press: Pixar goes `Up' with $68.2 million debut weekend

Quote:
Paramount Pictures' "Star Trek" steered a strong course, coming in at No. 5 with $12.8 million and passing the computer-animated "Monsters vs. Aliens" as the year's top-grossing movie so far.

"Star Trek" raised its domestic total to $209.5 million, becoming the first 2009 release to cross the $200 million mark.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:32 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeslyn448 (View Post)
i will have another chance. i might take my mom on a surprise movie trip she DOES love captain fine too.
Sounds like a wonderful mother/daughter night to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynaem (View Post)
i don't know if anyone's sen this

but i found it funny
YouTube - Star Trek (in 47 Seconds) *SPOILERS*
I still think this is hilarious.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Obsessed Fan

yes. we did the same thing for Sex and the City (except we saw that opening night). plus i have plans to still take my friend jess to see it, but plans always fail so i may have to do some kidnapping to get her to a theatre.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

love the YouTube clip...
Old 06-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Glad you enjoyed it.

'Star Trek' promo wins Golden Trailer
Quote:
The trailer for "Star Trek" was named best in show and also took home the Summer 2009 Blockbuster Award at the 10th annual Golden Trailer Awards, which were held Thursday night at the DGA Theater in Los Angeles.

Star Trek Ads Under CARU's Watch
Quote:
The Children's Advertising Review Unit (CARU) of the Better Business Bureau has referred ads for Star Trek to the Motion Picture Association of America for its determination of whether they should have been placed in broadcast programming targeted to children.

The film is rated PG-13 for "sci fi action and violence, and brief sexual content."

CARU has interpreted the PG-13 as meaning the ads are not appropriate for shows targeting kids, while the MPAA says that may not necessarily be the case

Under an agreement with MPAA, CARU refers such ads to the association for a determination of whether the ad meets MPAA's guidelines, after CARU first finds out whether the ad was placed in the kids show by mistake. CARU says it contacted the advertiser, in this case Paramount, which said the Star Trek ad was "intentionally placed" in the programming.

Star Trek is just the latest in a string of big-ticket action films referred to MPAA by CARU for ads in kids shows. They include Hulk, Iron Man, and the latest editions to the Mummy and Raiders franchises.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Obsessed Fan

i can't believe the trailer won the golden trailer.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrapop (View Post)
i can't believe the trailer won the golden trailer.
Me too. It was good, but I'm not sure about it being the best that I've seen this year.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Obsessed Fan

but from the ones that are out it was. considering there will be more trailers by the end of the year.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

True, it was a good trailer, but for some reason I thought Angels and Demons would edge it out.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Elite Fan

Just got back from seeing the movie (and I know I'm a bit late) but it was awesome!

kenny | credit
Old 06-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Obsessed Fan

chris: i didn't really like the trailer for angels and demons, and IMHO i didn't really like angels demons as a movie. the book was alot better then the movie, considering the book is actually a prequel to the da vinci code.

no limits: any time is a good time. it's not like its a cheesy movie that stays for like a month then gets put to dvd. what was your favorite part of the movie? and who was your favorite character?
Old 06-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Elite Fan

Had favorite parts, like Spock's meltdown... the bar fight, the Scott intro, and the whole sequence/destruction of the Vulcan planet (from when the 3 err... 2 first land). As for character, loved both Kirk and Spock, equally... they balanced eachother out. And the russian guy was funny. Well his accent was.

kenny | credit
Old 06-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Obsessed Fan

the bar fight was good too. specially with the grin we get from kirk after he landed on uhora. and you mean chekov? he was pretty cute too. but spork takes up too much time for me right now.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Elite Fan

Not a Spock fan?

kenny | credit
Old 06-08-2009, 02:59 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Ken. Glad you enjoyed the movie! As I remember you're not really a Star Trek fan? To me the bar scene was a bit reminiscent of Star Wars, but not enough to be off putting. Scotty's intro was good. Loved when Spock prime showed him about a formula that he'd discover in the future.

Spork = Spock and Kirk

'Star Trek' Still In Fifth Place
Quote:
Talk about staying power: "Star Trek" finished in fifth place in the domestic box office ... again.

The film made another $8.4 million at the box office over the weekend despite the release of "Land of the Lost" and "The Hangover" as well as the very strong staying power of the Disney/Pixar film "Up" at the box office this weekend. That now brings the J.J. Abrams film to $222.8 million, and still the top movie (so far) of 2009.