Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

It was cool to see the trailer on the big screen today.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I still think destroying Vulcan was stupid, surly they could have had story where they go back in time a save the planet just in time?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 AM
Extreme Fan

The think the entire time travel story was stupid. They should have stuck to a remake of the story, instead of trying to combine a remake with continuity. Especially since maintaining continuity and avoiding contradictions was never important. How many inconsistencies and contradictions were in TNG, DS9 and movies? Yet with the new films, they felt a need to connect the new and old stories.

Randy
My DeviantArt page. http://randicus.deviantart.com/gallery/
Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

It's hard to maintain continuity and avoid contradictions when you have so many different people involved, and so much established storyline. Doesn't make it any less frustrating for established fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
I still think destroying Vulcan was stupid, surly they could have had story where they go back in time a save the planet just in time?
Completely agree with you there.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris (View Post)
It's hard to maintain continuity and avoid contradictions when you have so many different people involved, and so much established storyline. Doesn't make it any less frustrating for established fans.

Completely agree with you there.
All along, I have believed Vulcan being destroyed was a huge mistake. Its not like destroying the Enterprise only to get a new starship bearing the same name a movie or two later.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

should have kept Vulcan with the amount of history it has on the show
Old 01-07-2016, 02:31 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_diamond (View Post)
should have kept Vulcan with the amount of history it has on the show
Of course, now they have set up a Vulcan colony thanks to Ambassador Spock (aka Spock Prime) so they have addressed it to some point. Just not the way I would like them to. But oh well...
Old 01-07-2016, 04:13 PM
Extreme Fan

It is Hollywood thinking. Do something dramatic that gets the audience's attention, gets them talking, makes a movie successful. There is no need to consider the ramifications it will cause later in the story. Face it, Hollywood executives were not thinking about where the story, "the franchise" would be twenty years in the future. They are only thinking one movie at a time. The first film was a great action movie, but I lost interest in any sequels that will be made, because of the ridiculous plot decisions in the first one.

Randy
Old 01-07-2016, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouyyir i'ch'Rihan (View Post)
Face it, Hollywood executives were not thinking about where the story, "the franchise" would be twenty years in the future. They are only thinking one movie at a time.
Exactly. They're worried about making money today, not about the future.
Old 01-26-2016, 09:38 AM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouyyir i'ch'Rihan (View Post)
It is Hollywood thinking. Do something dramatic that gets the audience's attention, gets them talking, makes a movie successful. There is no need to consider the ramifications it will cause later in the story. Face it, Hollywood executives were not thinking about where the story, "the franchise" would be twenty years in the future. They are only thinking one movie at a time. The first film was a great action movie, but I lost interest in any sequels that will be made, because of the ridiculous plot decisions in the first one.
I see the first new movie as a kind of anniversary-style oneoff. But I did not necessarily want or expect more films like it. I kind of thought they would go back and do a proper TNG feature before the cast really do get old!
There is still room for new TNG stories as evidenced by the amount of novels still being written in that universe.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Extreme Fan

The TNG/DS9 storyline could easily be continued. So could TNG continue while ignoring DS9, although it would require effort in script writing. TOS series could be remade properly, instead of what they are doing. Or my favourite fantasy; Star Trek shows that are not Federation centric. There could easily be three or four television series running simultaneously. A show that takes place in the Federation, one that takes place in the Romulan Empire, one in the Klingon Empire, and perhaps a fourth in Carassian space. The beauty would be two-fold. There would be three or four Star Trek shows for fans to watch and the story lines could be connected with shared/crossover episodes.

Randy
Old 01-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

With the reboot, I really can't see them going back to TNG. It's unfortunate that they ended their run with Nemesis. A different story may have led to more success and another movie.

Focusing storylines on some of the established species would certainly have potential.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:27 PM
Extreme Fan

Continuing the established time line from the end, continuing an altered version of the established time line, or an independent show based on the established time line are all possible. The question is, are the people at Paramount willing to do any of them? The new movies show their thinking. They have abandoned Star Trek as a fantasy universe that tries to tell stories and entertain, and have embraced Star Trek as nothing more a franchise to generate profit. For me, Star Trek ended with the conclusion of DS9.

Randy
Old 01-27-2016, 03:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

Sometimes I wish Hollywood would just leave original franchise's alone..
Old 01-28-2016, 06:42 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

http://www.fanforum.com/f89/star-tre.../#post84853975