Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 05:20 PM
Master Fan

He's pulled championships out of his ass before, when I thought he was starting all over again, so I guess I'll have to trust Billy Beane this time, too.

Still... *shakes head in chagrin*

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Loyal Fan

What is it about the AL East? They seem to be the only teams that are able to just throw money at players.

It's when you cry just a little, but you laugh in the middle that you've made it. -Tonight, Not Again
DobblersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Master Fan

The East Coast has the $$$.

So, I just had this realization - the A's are the "farm team" for the rest of the league. We train 'em, season 'em, and ship them off (or let them go!) to teams that have WS contention.

I've watched this happen for 7 years, now, and am beyond discouraged. And yet, we usually make it to the AL Championship...

BB - you'd BETTER pull this out of your ass! Grr.

My LJ for Movies
shrrshrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 11:34 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by shrrshrr:
<STRONG>
So, I just had this realization - the A's are the "farm team" for the rest of the league. We train 'em, season 'em, and ship them off (or let them go!) to teams that have WS contention.
</STRONG>
Yep. Now you know what it must feel like to be a Montreal Expos fan. Wait, do they actually have any fans left? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I was surprised to hear that Foulke signed with the Red Sox. Based on everything I had heard, it sounded like Beane *had* to let Tejada walk to keep the core of the A’s pitching staff around, including Foulke. Wow! It will be interesting to see what happens to both teams over the course of next season. Oakland always seems to rebound after talented players leave town, so we’ll see. As for the BoSox, they have no excuse now if they don’t give the Yanks a serious run for their $. And boy are they spending money!

Tejada to Baltimore? Pfft!!! He’s a good player, but that place is a baseball wasteland right now. If Pudge follows suit, maybe I’ll find my interest a little more piqued. I’m still waiting for I-Rod to come to his senses and lower his asking price so he can be a winner on the North Side.

As for the St. Louis-Atlanta trade, I honestly think the Cards got the better end of this deal. Perhaps my bias against Drew factors into this, but I don’t view him as anything other than an overpaid, lazy player who is a major liability. He has all the talent in the world, but it’s useless if he sits on the IR ¾ of the year. St. Louis needs pitching and Jason Marquis has A LOT of potential. If he’s able to overcome the injury bug, the Cards will be very happy to have unloaded the expendable services of Marrero and Drew.

[ 12-15-2003: Message edited Chi159 ]
Old 12-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by General Jiang Wei:
<STRONG>Baltimore signed Mike Tejada for what was it 6 years and 72 million? Nice.</STRONG>
Sheeeeeeeeet... What people will do for money... Baltimore.. Gosh!
Old 12-16-2003, 04:03 AM
Elite Fan

Boston is punking off it's studs for new ones. #way deal with Texas and LA, Nomar, MAnny, ARod. -shakes head-
Old 12-17-2003, 01:16 AM
Elite Fan

This Arod issue is making me crazy! I just hope it all ends this week [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] Just freakin do it! Bring it on, cowboys!

Vizquel failed a physical in Seattle

That's kinda sad!
Old 12-17-2003, 08:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>Boston is punking off it's studs for new ones. #way deal with Texas and LA, Nomar, MAnny, ARod. -shakes head-</STRONG>
Add Magglio Ordonez to that proposed trade. The latest trade rumor contends that a four-team deal is in the works involving Boston, Texas, Los Angeles, and the Chicago White Sox. When all is said and done, A-Rod and Mags Ordonez would land in Boston, Ramirez would head to Texas, Garciaparra would head to Chicago, and the White Sox in turn would trade Nomar to the Dodgers in exchange for three pitchers and a prospect. Follow me? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Considering that the MLB player's union has refused to allow changes to A-Rod's contract, it doesn't look like this deal will happen. We shall see, though. If it does, look out for Boston! I'd much rather have the combo of A-Rod and Ordonez over Nomar and Manny. Damn, talk about an offensive juggernaut!
Old 12-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Total Fan

Has Boston got A-Rod yet? It's so weird.. they got Schilling, now they're going for A-Rod.. hey if it gets them to the playoffs again, it's all worth it I suppose.

Braves signed Eddie Perez back. He was always a fave of mine for some reason. I'm glad to have him back. I missed him mucho.
i heart giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Chi159:
<STRONG> I'd much rather have the combo of A-Rod and Ordonez over Nomar and Manny. Damn, talk about an offensive juggernaut!</STRONG>
Manny is the best right handed pure hitter in the league, barnone. But, i'd have to agree. I never mind putting a Hurricane in the middle of my favorite teams lineup. It's just that when you talk Boston, you see Nomar. My boy is pimp (pedro) but most think Garciaparra and i'd hate to see him go, no matter if we are getting THE ONLY shortstop in the majors who is better than him. Magglio for Manny is a drop, but not a big one. With the studs we have in ourlineup, he should be able to shine. Seeing Nomar in LA, my other favorite team, would be strange. He'll struggle, as all hitters do in Chavez Ravine.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>It's just that when you talk Boston, you see Nomar. My boy is pimp (pedro) but most think Garciaparra and i'd hate to see him go, no matter if we are getting THE ONLY shortstop in the majors who is better than him.</STRONG>
Nomar practically IS Boston. It'd be so weird if he wasn't with the team.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:56 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by i heart giles:
<STRONG>

Nomar practically IS Boston. It'd be so weird if he wasn't with the team.</STRONG>
I know... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] He's like the face of the franchise. This deal will get made sooner or later and next year will get very interesting [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2003, 06:18 PM
Total Fan

It's said that Javy signed a three-year deal with Baltimore..

Baltimore seems to be racking up, heh?

[ 12-22-2003: Message edited i heart giles ]
Old 12-22-2003, 09:02 PM
Total Fan

Next up, Vlad Guerrero?

Surprised the Orioles didn't focus on Ivan Rodriguez; the price difference wouldn't be too significant ($2-4m per year apart), and they could get a consistent Hall of Famer.

Lopez isn't as sure a thing...
Old 12-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>Lopez isn't as sure a thing...</STRONG>
I think he will be good after this great year, lets see.

i heart giles yeah! Boston, Yanks and Os going at it in 2004 [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]