Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 10:17 PM
Elite Fan

I think its pretty official by now, but who knows?Guess tomorrow we'll hear from the Yanks or KB.
Old 12-11-2003, 10:23 PM
Master Fan

Not yet. I guess Brown has to agree to the terms of the trade and pass a physical. Still, the writing is on the wall. He’s all but a Yank-me tonight. Just another “spare part” to add to the machine. Damn, must be nice! That’s all I can say.

I like the idea of Brown leaving the NL, but to the Yanks?!!!! Ugh! Please, no. As if they haven’t bought enough talent. I don’t care if Pettite left for Houston, this is getting old. I’m surprised they didn’t get their claws into Bartolo Colon. I was waiting for that to happen.

If this trade goes through, ESPN is reporting the following rumor:

Quote:
Meanwhile, other teams said the Dodgers were in discussions with the St. Louis Cardinals to acquire outfielder J.D. Drew, perhaps for Weaver.
Any thoughts, Jen? Getting anything for Drew is a great deal, IMO. The guy spends more time on the IR than anything else, and gets paid BIG $ to do so. I wasn’t enamored with Weaver in NY, but he did prove to be a solid SP with Detroit. Maybe the pressure was too much for him in the Bronx. The Cards could use any pitching help right now, so I think this proposed trade would be a step in the right direction.
Old 12-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Elite Fan

I have no love for JD Drew. He's a Criminal.
Old 12-12-2003, 07:11 AM
Loyal Fan

I'm liking that trade. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] The Cards need pitching help, and they need to get rid of Drew. I can't see them trading him without having to pay a healthy chunk of his salary though, so I'm not sure if it really solves the Cards money problems. And with Perez and Martinez now gone this would mean they'd have to acquire 2 outfielders. Although with Drew's injury history, they'd probably have to anyhow. But, I think pitching's the top priority. The offense is solid, so as long as there's someone in the outfield that won't hurt them defensively I think they're good.

It's when you cry just a little, but you laugh in the middle that you've made it. -Tonight, Not Again
DobblersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Total Fan

Never liked him, but Gary Sheffield backing out of a handshake agreement with George Steinbrenner is pretty low.

That said, Steinbrenner went pretty low to get David Wells after the Diamondbacks had a handshake agreement with him; karma coming back to haunt Mr. Yankee.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:50 PM
Total Fan

Why'd he back out? Weren't they offering him like 50 billion dollars? He want MORE money or something?

Eff, that guy is sleazy.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:14 PM
Elite Fan

He walked out of the agreement? Seems like $heffield wants more money... This is the Yankees, he wants more money he can go to Law School [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I didn't like him in Atlanta and I don't want him in NY.

Hey guys, what's all the talk about the Rocket joining the Astros for one year? Is it true? That'd be heart breaking for me as a Yankee fan but still, its pretty neat for Andy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2003, 05:04 AM
Elite Fan

I love Sheffield, he's always been cool with Darryl, as he is Docs Nephew. Glad he's not going ove to thoe damn Yankmes.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:29 AM
Total Fan

If the Yanks get Vlad (NOO!), where does $heffield go from here? No other team will drop $13m on an OF on the wrong side of 35.

Liking what the Blue Jays are doing with their starting rotation; Halladay, Batista, Lilly, Hentgen and Towers/Hendrickson is a huge jump over 2002. Adding Kerry Ligtenberg is big too. Couple more small pieces, and the Jays will be really dangerous.

And still 3rd in the AL East, but I'd settle for 90 wins and improvement from the young core. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

I`ve just heard on the radio that the Braves and Cardinals have completed a 5 player trade. The Braves get outfielder J.D. and catcher/utlity outfielder Eli Marrero in exchange for pitchers Jason Marquis, Ray King, and Adam Wainright. This deal was obviously a way for both teams to fulfill needs. I think that if the Braves can get a good season from J.D. Drew if he can stay healthy and some contribution from Eli Marrero then it will be a good deal for them. As for the Cards, i think that it`s likely they got the short part of the deal. Adam Wainright is a good prospect and will be on the staff sometime in the next couple of a years, but Jason Marquis was a disappointment after he got injured, which hendered him from living up to his potential and really lost a lot of confidence. Plus Ray King is very inconsistant. The Cardinals are doing the Braves a favor by getting him.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:33 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hot Rod:
<STRONG>I think that if the Braves can get a good season from J.D. Drew if he can stay healthy and some contribution from Eli Marrero then it will be a good deal for them. As for the Cards, i think that it`s likely they got the short part of the deal. Ray King is very inconsistant. The Cardinals are doing the Braves a favor by getting him.</STRONG>
I'm very happy for this deal. I like JD and Eli isn't that bad either. I never liked Ray King so Cards can have him. Sad though, I hope he's more consistant there than he was with us. [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img]
i heart giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Elite Fan

JD Drew will need to make a real effort this year for his new team. He's been really dissapointing and that can't go on after this monster trade, Braves sound like they really have faith that he'll do great.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:01 PM
Total Fan

Solid deal for the Braves: I trust John Schuelholz to make the right decision.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:07 AM
Loyal Fan

The Braves can have JD Drew. He is your problem now. JD Drew will never contribute to a team...ever. He's lazy and basically a wuss. He doesn't get hurt any more than any other player, he just refuses to play with any type of pain. He'll hit a 400 foot homerun one at bat then make the stupidest base-running mistake the next time up. He'll make a great play in the OF then throw to the wrong base. His head is never in the game. I'm so glad the Cards got rid of him. I think Marrero will end up being a better pick-up for Atlanta. How many players can be your back up catcher and centerfielder and not cost you anything defensively at either position. Eli's good and I'll miss him in STL. I guess you have to give up something to get pitching and the Cards desperately needed pitching. Now they desperately need an outfielder cause I'm thinking Edmonds might be a gold glover but he's not going to cover all three OF positions alone.

It's when you cry just a little, but you laugh in the middle that you've made it. -Tonight, Not Again
DobblersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Elite Fan

Baltimore signed Mike Tejada for what was it 6 years and 72 million? Nice.