Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 06:20 AM
Total Fan

Getting Hawkins should help the Cubs bullpen; time to see if Borowski can come through with another solid season.

At least the Sports Illustrated curse isn't as bad as the EA Sports cover. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I could see the Jays making the playoffs too, but it'll require a lot of circumstances fall in their favour. Being second in the division may not be enough, with Seattle/Oakland/Anaheim all poised to have big seasons in the AL West. I agree, the Central is terrible; still can't fathom why a team deep in young, talented OF like the Twins traded for (?) then signed (?!?) Shannon Stewart over LaTroy Hawkins/Eddie Guardado.

Boston needs to win this season; the expiring contracts alone will require a huge bump in payroll to keep the same team from 2004 into 2005. So many players starting on the DL is a huge blow...
Old 04-02-2004, 04:44 PM
Total Fan

Mark Prior accused of using steroids.

Quote:
Cubs pitcher scoffs at McDowell's comments

ESPN.com news services

MESA, Ariz. -- Mark Prior was shocked by Jack McDowell's accusations that the Chicago Cubs pitcher has used steroids and that is the reason his strained Achilles tendon is not healing.

McDowell, a Cy Young winner who pitched for the Chicago White Sox, New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians and Anaheim Angels from 1987-99, told Sporting News Radio and the Chicago Sun-Times on Thursday that Prior's slow recovery is a sign of steroid use.

"That's one of the telltale things. What happens with steroids is the muscles get too strong for the tendons," McDowell said.

"He has a tendon injury that's not healing. You shouldn't have a problem like that that doesn't heal in a month. That's what happens to guys who use steroids."

Prior, who probably won't pitch until May because of inflammation in his right Achilles tendon and a stiff elbow, wondered if McDowell was joking.

"Do I look like I'm on steroids?" Prior told MLB.com on Thursday. "That's the first I heard. Was he serious? I guess the best thing I can say is obviously I'm not; I don't know why he would say that.

"I never met the guy, I don't know the guy," he added. "I don't know if he's got a beef with me because I went to (USC) and he went to Stanford. That's about the worst thing I've ever heard. It doesn't even make any sense."

Cubs manager Dusty Baker also scoffed at McDowell's comments.

"How can you just say that?" Baker told MLB.com. "That's pitiful. I have no comment to that other than that's pitiful."

Prior returned to spring training Tuesday after spending Monday in Chicago, where he had an MRI and bone scan on his Achilles tendon and right arm.

The 23-year-old right-hander has not pitched in a spring training game because of the Achilles injury and was already expected to start the season on the disabled list. Prior has been throwing off a mound this spring.

Both the Cubs and Prior said the MRI and bone scan showed nothing but inflammation in the heel and elbow.

Prior was 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA and 245 strikeouts in his first full big-league season last year, finishing third in voting for the NL Cy Young Award.
Prior's in shape, but isn't exactly cut. He also succeeds with control, not velocity. Never had even suspicions of usage in the past.

It must be him!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Elite Fan

Those comments must've really p*ssed him off!!

An April Fools joke:

Quote:
#2: Sidd Finch
In its April 1985 edition, Sports Illustrated published a story about a new rookie pitcher who planned to play for the Mets. His name was Sidd Finch and he could reportedly throw a baseball with startling, pinpoint accuracy at 168 mph (65 mph faster than anyone else has ever been able to throw a ball). Surprisingly, Sidd Finch had never even played the game before. Instead, he had mastered the "art of the pitch" in a Tibetan monastery under the guidance of the "great poet-saint Lama Milaraspa." Mets fans everywhere celebrated at their teams's amazing luck at having found such a gifted player, and Sports Illustrated was flooded with requests for more information. But in reality this legendary player only existed in the imagination of the writer of the article, George Plimpton.
Come on, 168 mph? It's so obvious it hurts.

[img]smilies/rotfl.gif[/img]

[ 04-03-2004: Message edited ROCKSTAR ]
Old 04-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Total Fan

That's almost as incredible as the legend of Jim Dowd (for all the MVP Baseball 2004 fans)!

ESPN Baseball 2004 Power Rankings are up. For the Blue Jay fans, 5 pressing questions for the 2004 season.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Total Fan

Milton Bradley to the L.A. Dodgers, Roger Cedeno to the St. Louis Cardinals, and Einar Diaz to the Montreal Expos.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:54 PM
Elite Fan

RTight, like we need Milton Bradley :eyerolls: pfhh.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Total Fan

The guy has talent, if lazy; sounds like a bargain for the Dodgers, who can use all the offensive help they can get. The BoSox scored 1 less run before the All-Star break than the Dodgers did all year.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:14 PM
Elite Fan

It's cold in Baltimore.

And what in the world is going on with Johnny Ds hair?? I know he's in the Red Sox but he's taking the look to a whole new place [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Elite Fan

Uh oh... Paydro's out of control [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]