Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Elite Fan

MLB Off Season Discussion - The Race For Vlad

I'd love to see Vlad in LA or in Mets pinstrips, or in Boston. I just hope he doesn't go to the Yankmes or another team i strongly dislike.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Master Fan

I’m with you on that. Let the Vladimir Guerrero sweepstakes begin! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

With last night’s arbitration deadline having passed, the following names will be playing for new teams next year:

Pudge Rodriguez
Vlad Guerrero
Javy Lopez
Greg Maddux
Rafael Palmeiro
Juan Gonzalez

I’ll be particularly interested to see where Pudge ends up. There was not a lot of interest in his services last off-season. Even with his incredible rebound year and World Series MVP title, I’m not so sure many teams will be knocking down his door due to his asking price. If the Cubs have the money, I say sign him up! I-Rod would look awfully nice donning the Cubby pinstripes.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Elite Fan

I feel that would propell those arms into pure greatness with him behind the plate. We'd finally see that great season many think Kerry Wood is capable of and it'd be Priors season on the top.
Old 12-09-2003, 07:07 AM
Loyal Fan

Pudge would definately be a nice acquisition for the Cubbies. He'd be great for their young pitching staff. That being said, I hope he doesn't end up in Wrigley. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

The Cards just declined arbitration to their entire team basically. I'm really not understanding the logic of not offering arbitration to 3/5 of the starting staff from the end of last season. Granted Tomko, Stephenson & Hitchcock aren't exactly #1 quality starters, but they do eat innings. They're gonna have to get on it and sign some FA pitchers. Vina's also gone, which doesn't suprise me at all, but so is Cairo. So does this mean that Bo Hart's the ONLY 2B they have now? I mean Cairo was their INF bench. They have no one in the minors worth mentioning. Eduardo Perez is also gone. It's all crazy. They better get on it and start signing some people. Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen, Morris, & Williams can't win the central on a team by themselves...

It's when you cry just a little, but you laugh in the middle that you've made it. -Tonight, Not Again
DobblersGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Total Fan

Giants declined arbitration on their entire team as well. Apparently Bonds will be playing every position next year.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:08 PM
Elite Fan

I can't believe Bartolo Colon ended up with Anaheim! I mean, wow! Why would he want to go there now? Maybe I'm missing something [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Now... if Nomah does end up with the Halos then, ok, nice team.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:35 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Neon x Stars:
<STRONG>Giants declined arbitration on their entire team as well. Apparently Bonds will be playing every position next year.</STRONG>
Seems to be a trend. There's no way the Cards can fill all their holes. I'm seriously starting to worry about the 2004 season already... [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

It's when you cry just a little, but you laugh in the middle that you've made it. -Tonight, Not Again
Old 12-09-2003, 05:51 PM
Total Fan

The Beaves ALSO didn't offer arbitration to anyone except Julio Franco. It DOES seem to be a trend this offseason.. just get a whole new team everyone, c'mon it's the thing. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

With Javy and Pudge both out there.. no telling who will get who.. and Vlad. Goodness. This is one heck of an offseason.
i heart giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2003, 12:19 AM
Total Fan

Phillies signed Tim Worrell...he'll be setting up Billy Freaking Wagner. They just keep spending and spending and spending. Jerks.
Old 12-10-2003, 01:33 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by i heart giles:
<STRONG>With Javy and Pudge both out there.. no telling who will get who.. and Vlad. Goodness. This is one heck of an offseason.</STRONG>
I know... Teams feel free to not offer arbitration because they know how high the prices are, its like they are giving players a message or something.

[img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2003, 07:02 AM
Loyal Fan

Can a team decline arbitration and then turn around and re-sign the player for less money? Anyone know? At least the Cards didn't decline Pujols arbitration. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] You can bet he'll be making a little more than 900,000 this season. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2003, 04:37 PM
Master Fan

No, they can't.

Once a team decides not to offer a player arbitration, they are not allowed to engage in negotiations with said player until May 1st. There's no way a player is going to wait two months into the MLB season to re-sign with his former team for less money. Not gonna happen. I'm sure the owners would love it, though! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 12-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Elite Fan

They sure would! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 12-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Thanks for the answer. I was pretty sure that was the case.

Old 12-11-2003, 09:37 PM
Total Fan

I don't know if it's official yet, but I hear the Wanks signed Kevin Brown?

So...two of the best pitchers in baseball have now left the national league. (not only that but the national league WEST. he.) Can't say I'm complaining.