Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I know what you mean. I saw that particular ep a day after Christmas Day 2 years ago so needless to say I was so pissed.

Welcome to the thread and I've added you. The OP has some really good fic recs. My absolutel fave is Marriage by Entail.
I realy didnt expect this to happen. Matthew and Mary clearly were supposed to be the main romance of the show looking at how they were developed since season 1. Its realy clear this only hapened because they wanted to prolong the show and Dan wanted out. Its sad to prety much know the writers never intended for this to happen but had to because of circumstances. Shipping Klaroline tho has hardened me and taught me how to ignore anything in canon and live in the fanon world.

Yeah saw the recs in the OP but since not every OP is frequently updated and sometimes great new fics are missing I thought Id ask.. Also what tag is most often used for them in tumblr? Do they have a specifuc shipname? I wanna go reblog some stuff.

Klaus & Caroline Matthew & Mary Hook & Emma 10 & Rose
Castle & Beckett Logan & Veronica Spike & Buffy

Last edited by Swinty; 01-03-2015 at 04:45 AM
Old 01-03-2015, 02:15 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I know what you mean. I saw that particular ep a day after Christmas Day 2 years ago so needless to say I was so pissed.
I can't imagine watching it that close to Christmas without knowing what was coming. Thankfully, I was aware of Matthew's death before I started the series because of the shows popularity and so many of my friends watching before me. I still bawled like a baby though. My sister actually told me to get it together. But they were/are my OTP of the show so it's depressing. I hate that Dan decided to leave. I wish we'd have gotten at least one more full season of M&M married and raising their son. Le sigh. Guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I'm thankful for what we did get though. Nothing will ever beat their snowy proposal for me. That was such a magical moment.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:28 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinty (View Post)
I realy didnt expect this to happen. Matthew and Mary clearly were supposed to be the main romance of the show looking at how they were developed since season 1. Its realy clear this only hapened because they wanted to prolong the show and Dan wanted out. Its sad to prety much know the writers never intended for this to happen but had to because of circumstances.
Sometimes I wish it was just 3 seasons and these two would have gotten a happy ending. I am so fine if the show only has 3 seasons. Btw, lovely vid! Love the song used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivating (View Post)
I can't imagine watching it that close to Christmas without knowing what was coming. Thankfully, I was aware of Matthew's death before I started the series because of the shows popularity and so many of my friends watching before me. I still bawled like a baby though. My sister actually told me to get it together. But they were/are my OTP of the show so it's depressing. I hate that Dan decided to leave. I wish we'd have gotten at least one more full season of M&M married and raising their son. Le sigh. Guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I'm thankful for what we did get though. Nothing will ever beat their snowy proposal for me. That was such a magical moment.
I am thankful for what we got too and even fine with how he died. There will be no one else for me, it will always be Matthew even if I'm fine with Mary moving on. I'm a bit irked that I knew beforehand that Matthew was going to die so I was expecting it, I was just waiting for it to happen which sucked for how I watched that CS.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Sometimes I wish it was just 3 seasons and these two would have gotten a happy ending. I am so fine if the show only has 3 seasons. Btw, lovely vid! Love the song used.
Me too, and not only because of MM, but also the 3 first seasons were the best ones IMO. When TV shows have too many seasons, they generally lose their quality.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I was just waiting for it to happen which sucked for how I watched that CS.
That's how I felt too I was just waiting for it to happen and of course it happens in like the last 30 seconds. I just hate how it just happens and we don't get to see the aftermath or anyone's instant reactions. I would have rather seen that.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I am thankful for what we got too and even fine with how he died. There will be no one else for me, it will always be Matthew even if I'm fine with Mary moving on. I'm a bit irked that I knew beforehand that Matthew was going to die so I was expecting it, I was just waiting for it to happen which sucked for how I watched that CS.
I agree wholeheartedly. There will never be a pair I love more or feel is better suited in DA than Matthew and Mary. They're untouchable. I want Mary (and George) happy and taken care of but the next chap she marries won't hold a candle to the magic she had with Matthew. He was her soulmate. I'm glad we've gotten more seasons though because I'm so addicted to this show it's not even funny. I'd rather have it without Matthew than not at all.

That does stink that you were spoiled but not enough to know how or when it'd happen in the CS episode. I was very, very spoiled. I'd even seen pictures and video snippets of his death scene before ever watching the show.

Y'know, sometimes I hate that we weren't allowed to see everyone's instant reactions to Matthew's passing but I don't know if my heart could've handled it. I bawled so much in the first few episodes of S4 despite the six month time jump. Had the show picked up right after the crash or at the funeral I'd have been unconsolable. Dramatic but true. That's how much these two mean to me.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucresiare (View Post)
Me too, and not only because of MM, but also the 3 first seasons were the best ones IMO. When TV shows have too many seasons, they generally lose their quality.
That is true, most shows do and only a few ones that still go out with a bang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtneybangelcakes (View Post)
That's how I felt too I was just waiting for it to happen and of course it happens in like the last 30 seconds. I just hate how it just happens and we don't get to see the aftermath or anyone's instant reactions. I would have rather seen that.
I would only be okay seeing that for all the rest except for Isobel & Mary. Mary was obviously angry at the world and Isobel looked like a zombie in S4E1 and is trying to be okay but she isn't because she feels so alone.

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly. There will never be a pair I love more or feel is better suited in DA than Matthew and Mary. They're untouchable. I want Mary (and George) happy and taken care of but the next chap she marries won't hold a candle to the magic she had with Matthew. He was her soulmate. I'm glad we've gotten more seasons though because I'm so addicted to this show it's not even funny. I'd rather have it without Matthew than not at all.
S3 would have been the perfect ending except for that last part and Matthew drives off to tell Isobel and the rest of the family and he's home safe. The funny thing was, how common were car accidents back then? It would've been so careless of Matthew (and the other driver) to not see each other in that not-so busy road.

Quote:
That does stink that you were spoiled but not enough to know how or when it'd happen in the CS episode. I was very, very spoiled. I'd even seen pictures and video snippets of his death scene before ever watching the show.
That would suck for me if I saw any of that before I watched the ep. I remember seeing a trailer of Matthew riding that car prior to watching the CS and I knew from seeing it that he dies in a car crash. I don't read spoilers, I like the element of surprise, but that time I was on Tumblr a lot and I got spoiled there so I'm kind of wary checking that site now.

Quote:
Y'know, sometimes I hate that we weren't allowed to see everyone's instant reactions to Matthew's passing but I don't know if my heart could've handled it. I bawled so much in the first few episodes of S4 despite the six month time jump. Had the show picked up right after the crash or at the funeral I'd have been unconsolable. Dramatic but true. That's how much these two mean to me.
Me too. In a way, I'm glad we get to see everyone's reactions in S4 even after that small time jump (6 months). Isobel & Mary were obviously still grieving. And Mary, wow. She lashed out at Carson, stormed off during dinner & only wanted to wear black. It was like she was feeling what all of us were feeling and I loved it.

Old 01-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
S3 would have been the perfect ending except for that last part and Matthew drives off to tell Isobel and the rest of the family and he's home safe. The funny thing was, how common were car accidents back then? It would've been so careless of Matthew (and the other driver) to not see each other in that not-so busy road.

That would suck for me if I saw any of that before I watched the ep. I remember seeing a trailer of Matthew riding that car prior to watching the CS and I knew from seeing it that he dies in a car crash. I don't read spoilers, I like the element of surprise, but that time I was on Tumblr a lot and I got spoiled there so I'm kind of wary checking that site now.

I'm glad we get to see everyone's reactions in S4 even after that small time jump (6 months). Isobel & Mary were obviously still grieving. And Mary, wow. She lashed out at Carson, stormed off during dinner & only wanted to wear black. It was like she was feeling what all of us were feeling and I loved it.
I can't argue with that. It would've been a lovely ending to the show.

I thought the same things about car wrecks! I was like, "Really? REALLY?!?" I didn't read spoilers, I just had friends who watched and were posting clips and screenshots and basically having mental breakdowns via social media. I understand their pain. But now they've moved on & I'm the crazy mourner. lol.

I loved Mary's reaction even though it broke my heart. It was exactly how I felt. I was so somber and angry the first few episodes of S4. Mary was the audience, in a sense. Absolutely.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 PM
Moderator Manager

LOL, I loved that your friends were having mental breakdowns via social media. I still recall how angry I was after watching that CS. I was in denial for weeks. I wanted to move on but everytime I come here, I'm reminded of how terrible it ended for our ship and I get sad and angry all over again. I stopped reading fics and wanted to feel my pain. In fact I stopped reading fics for all my other fandoms because I wasn't in the mood to be happy or live in an alternate universe. I was in hell and I want to live it. Nothing was going to go right for me and only when I accept everything that has happened will I be able to move on. I can't believe I have so many emotions for fictional characters, tbh.

Coming into S4, I was scared. I knew that they had to show us reactions and was nervous and anxious to see how Mary was. But they hit the mark with her grief and anger. There was even a point in that ep where Mary was talking to Robert and she mentioned Matthew and she suddenly stopped and stared off in space recalling that moment.

On the side, this is still the only (dead) ship I care so much about that I write paragraphs and paragraphs about.

Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 PM
Elite Fan

I do agree that they handled Mary and Isobel's grief very, very well. You could feel the pain inside of them. Like both of you said, they perfectly reflected what the audience was feeling. However, I just feel like it was so quick - his death. It was literally like 1 minute of screentime in CS. I was hoping that for such an important character that there would have been more time spent on his actual death ...it just felt so rushed and I didn't feel they did him justice. I just feel compared to Sybil's death, Matthew's wasn't as powerful. I was emotionally drained after Sybil's death, but with Matthew's - I was more confused and angry. I just couldn't understand why that happened. It felt so unwarranted.

My Grandma is still so angry about his death. If I ever bring it up, she cusses - which is very rare for her She just can't even think about it.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:17 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
LOL, I loved that your friends were having mental breakdowns via social media. I still recall how angry I was after watching that CS. I was in denial for weeks. I wanted to move on but everytime I come here, I'm reminded of how terrible it ended for our ship and I get sad and angry all over again. I stopped reading fics and wanted to feel my pain. In fact I stopped reading fics for all my other fandoms because I wasn't in the mood to be happy or live in an alternate universe. I was in hell and I want to live it. Nothing was going to go right for me and only when I accept everything that has happened will I be able to move on. I can't believe I have so many emotions for fictional characters, tbh.

Coming into S4, I was scared. I knew that they had to show us reactions and was nervous and anxious to see how Mary was. But they hit the mark with her grief and anger. There was even a point in that ep where Mary was talking to Robert and she mentioned Matthew and she suddenly stopped and stared off in space recalling that moment.

On the side, this is still the only (dead) ship I care so much about that I write paragraphs and paragraphs about.
Oh, yes, you better believe they were. My Facebook and Twitter feeds were blowing up! lol!

I absolutely 100% know what you mean. I walked around like a death had occurred in my family for a good few days. And I'm still sad when I think about it. It's horribly tragic and unfair. But...it shows how magnificent M&M were. If I wasn't this distraught they wouldn't have been the strong power couple that I adored.

courtneybangelcakes: Your grandma is my spirit animal. Also, Julian spoke to that in a Hollywood Reporter interview. He said that because Sybil's death was an entire episode and so emotionally draining they didn't want to put the audience through that again only a few episodes later. So they chose to make the death sudden and short, much like death is for real. It comes out of nowhere and it leaves you shocked/angry/confused.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:51 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
However, I just feel like it was so quick - his death. It was literally like 1 minute of screentime in CS. I was hoping that for such an important character that there would have been more time spent on his actual death ...it just felt so rushed and I didn't feel they did him justice. I just feel compared to Sybil's death, Matthew's wasn't as powerful. I was emotionally drained after Sybil's death, but with Matthew's - I was more confused and angry. I just couldn't understand why that happened. It felt so unwarranted.
I agree with you there. I also feel it was rushed.. Not sure how I feel about it tho. In a way I would have liked seeing more of the acute impact his death had on the family but at the same time I'm not sure if I as a watcher emotionally would have been able to handle that. It most likely would have meant I would have been crying the whole show.

Feel we have been robbed off other M&M stuff too. Would have loved to see more of the actual marriage vows, the news of her pregnancy etc.

I read somewhere JF doesn't think of himself as a good very happy and very sad moments writer and thus avoids it when he can....

Klaus & Caroline Matthew & Mary Hook & Emma 10 & Rose
Castle & Beckett Logan & Veronica Spike & Buffy
Old 01-05-2015, 11:52 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
I do agree that they handled Mary and Isobel's grief very, very well. You could feel the pain inside of them. Like both of you said, they perfectly reflected what the audience was feeling. However, I just feel like it was so quick - his death. It was literally like 1 minute of screentime in CS. I was hoping that for such an important character that there would have been more time spent on his actual death ...it just felt so rushed and I didn't feel they did him justice. I just feel compared to Sybil's death, Matthew's wasn't as powerful. I was emotionally drained after Sybil's death, but with Matthew's - I was more confused and angry. I just couldn't understand why that happened. It felt so unwarranted.

My Grandma is still so angry about his death. If I ever bring it up, she cusses - which is very rare for her She just can't even think about it.
LOL, your grandma is awesome! I bolded the part that I agree with the most. Yes we did feel quite empty/mad/lost about that whole thing which JF rightfully achieved but I didn't want to go through hell with all the pain that we felt when Sybil died. That's not to say I didn't go through pain seeing Matthew die because tbh it was the same anyway even if JF did write an entire ep and have the family react to his death.

Quote:
I absolutely 100% know what you mean. I walked around like a death had occurred in my family for a good few days. And I'm still sad when I think about it. It's horribly tragic and unfair. But...it shows how magnificent M&M were. If I wasn't this distraught they wouldn't have been the strong power couple that I adored.
Exactly. S3 was a dark time for the show and the MM fans. Some have left and stopped watching the show (which is understandable) and tbh, I'm not sure why I stayed on.

Quote:
Also, Julian spoke to that in a Hollywood Reporter interview. He said that because Sybil's death was an entire episode and so emotionally draining they didn't want to put the audience through that again only a few episodes later. So they chose to make the death sudden and short, much like death is for real. It comes out of nowhere and it leaves you shocked/angry/confused.
Like I said above, it would still have the same effect on me even if JF did write an entire ep where the family reacts to Matthew's death but I do understand him for "lessening the blow" since this was another major character death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinty (View Post)
Feel we have been robbed off other M&M stuff too. Would have loved to see more of the actual marriage vows, the news of her pregnancy etc.
I would not find it realistic if Mary got pregnant early although I would have preferred it that way so we can at least see Matthew as a father.

Quote:
I read somewhere JF doesn't think of himself as a good very happy and very sad moments writer and thus avoids it when he can....
That's rather ironic especially with the sad moments as he had written a lot of painstaking moments with the rest of the characters on the show. Of course not everyone embraced his SLs wholeheartedly but that's the price a writer has to pay.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Nathan Fillion

Lindsay, I couldn't imagine watching that departure live! I'm so thankful I knew what was coming but it still bit the big one and I actually SOBBED throughout season 3 seeing all of their lovely moments together, knowing the end was near. His demise WAS rushed, but I liked it better that way because we got to see them happy and in love and after Sibby's death it would've been overkill. Anyway, there's an obvious void in the show without Matthew but I still love the other characters so I'll continue to watch until the very end.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Moderator Manager

Thanks Jen. I'll watch the show until it gets cancelled, I love it way too much.

Sometimes I wonder what if I didn't know Matthew was going to die? Maybe I'd have stopped watching 2 years ago...