Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2015, 10:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Ugh that's annoying Kenni, nobody has time for those games. Just be straightforward (him) Ignoring phone calls is gross!

I just have a softball game tomorrow, at 4pm - the most awkward time of the day

Sunday I have a baby shower!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:13 PM
Passionate Fan

Yuck, it's HOT at 4pm. Tomorrow it's supposed to be about 115 around that time. I have no intention of being outside then. The only time I might consider being outside for longer than it would take me to walk to my car is at 5am, when it should only be 90. And the sun isn't out yet. Though yesterday I went for a walk at 5am and this dude almost hit me with his car. And I was wearing light colored clothes! Idiot wasn't watching where he was going and just about gave me a heart attack. Okay, I may need to invest in reflector tape.

Baby shower! Fun! And reminds I need to get back to working on my niece's afghan. She's due in October and that will be here sooner than I think.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

And YOU just reminded me I need to finish the blanket for my friend's daughter, it was supposed to be done when she was born almost a year ago

I'm really not looking forward to going outside...to top it off, our team only has 7 players today (minimum) and I'm having no luck finding two more to at least make a full team. So not only are we going to be sweating, but we'll be horrible and probably lose horrible

Old 08-16-2015, 09:54 PM
Master Fan

How'd your game go, Lisa? Hopefully you guys won.

And you're both knitting (or is it crocheting?) blankets? That's so cool. The only thing that I can do is cross stitch and it's been a really long time since I did that.

You know, I enjoy traveling for work but my job involves schmoozing and more often than not a fair amount of alcohol so when I get home I tend to crash and burn which is exactly what happened to me this weekend.
Amy | visit The 100 | Icon: Voldara
Old 08-16-2015, 10:46 PM
Passionate Fan

I crochet, haven't a clue how to knit - though I would be interested in learning. I really need to get cracking on this afghan. I'm making it out of granny squares. And since each square is only about 4 inches and I'm wanting the whole thing to be 36 square inches I need a total of 81 squares. I'm not even halfway through all the squares. And then the prospect of sewing 81 squares together?

Then, of course, once this one is done I'll need to start one for my cousin's baby. And then maybe one for another friend. And then my sisters been wanting this basket... I love having crochet projects but I may start to drown in yarn.

I can't cross stitch. I started a project years ago that was of a panda. The poor guy looks like he had surgery on his forehead which left a mangled scar.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Kenni I do the same thing - a bunch of granny squares then shove 'em all together. It takes FOREVER. The last one I made was only 32 squares or something, and that took long enough! Also I gave one to my friends and clearly I don't know how to fasten things off properly, cause half of it fell apart

Amy I learned how to knit once but already forgot how I just like crocheting better for some reason. There's this awesome yarn store downtown here, I love it It smells weird, though.

I really want to learn how to cross-stitch, I love the ones that are really rude but still look pretty

Yes we pummeled the other team in our game Saturday, it was their second game of the day and they just gave up and we ended early

Old 08-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Passionate Fan

Oh no! I always worry about my crochet projects falling apart. So I probably knot or weave ends in more than absolutely necessary.

I made an afghan a couple years ago that was 6x6. After sewing 36 squares together I decided to make the next one 3x3, so only 9 squares. That part was much easier, except the bigger the square the more wonky it looks. At least when I do it. I have a fairly even stitch and yet still the larger I make a granny square the more the rows tend to...tilt - yeah I think that's the best word to describe it.

I just may be ready to give up crocheting after these 81 squares. Or maybe the next baby, who has been dubbed Thing 3 (as its the 3rd baby for this family ), will get an afghan of chevron rows. Yeah, that will be SO much easier.

I really want to learn to cross stitch. Years ago my sister, thinking I knew how, gave me a Raggedy Ann & Andy cross stitch to do. It's been sitting in storage ever since. But I'm not sure I have the patience for it. I can crochet easily while watching TV. Once I get going it really takes minimal concentration. And though I hate taking out stitches when I mess up it's not too big a deal. I have a suspicion that having to take out stitches in a cross stitch would be more traumatizing for me.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree - messing up when you're crocheting is no big deal. Easy fix. But something so small and fine might be infuriating.

And if your rows get wonky, try flipping the square over each time you complete one. Mine were always freakin' tilting like mad, and the square would come out with ripples and waves. I'm trying that now and I think it's working.

/old ladies

Old 08-17-2015, 10:43 PM
Passionate Fan

I may have to try that next time I'm making larger squares. It's just that the patterns always say to continue on the facing side. Not that I'm opposed to straying from a pattern...
Old 08-18-2015, 07:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh are you doing fancier granny squares? I only do the most basic ones cause I haven't learned anything else So for mine it seems ok to keep flipping them over!

Old 08-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Passionate Fan

Not fancy. But patterns still say to stick to the facing side. So I've never tried flipping them over. The squares I'm currently working on are only 4 rows, so not big enough to have the tilting issue. But I've seen patterns for afghans that are essentially one giant granny square. It looks really cool and I've been wanting to try it, but I just fear it coming out all swirly. But if you've had success I'm going to try flipping it over for that pattern.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The times I've done one giant granny square, it was SO tilted and really pissed me off. But in this latest one I've noticed that they were tilting again, cause the squares are big. So half the batch is tilted and the other half is alot better

Old 08-18-2015, 01:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It's raining, and I want to go to bed. It would be a mistake though. I probably wouldn't sleep the rest of the night.
Tumblr || icon by me || Josie
Old 08-19-2015, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Did you, and did you sleep!?

Today is annoying, I'm not busy here and I'm all obsessed over a contest I entered I'm one of those people that gets mad when they don't win the lottery, so this much smaller contest isn't going well for me

Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacatia (View Post)
The times I've done one giant granny square, it was SO tilted and really pissed me off. But in this latest one I've noticed that they were tilting again, cause the squares are big. So half the batch is tilted and the other half is alot better
Oh, that would frustrate the hell out of me. I don't consider myself a perfectionist except when it comes to arts and crafts type stuff. Then I has to be PERFECT. This is why I don't do a whole lot of arts and crafts. The flaws are inevitable and drive me insane. I had a friend who did a lot of knitting and crocheting. She told me to just call the flaws a design feature. Oddly, that helped.