Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2003, 06:16 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I'm half way thru the second book in the Wolf series .. Wolf Head Wolf Heart. It's not quite as smooth a read as the first but still well done. The characters are continuing to grow and are thrown together in a way tha doesn't force too much of a stretch to the politics of the piece. I'd still recommend it.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:33 PM
Passionate Fan

I've been reading mostly mystery and romance lately, so I have nothing new to report on. But I did buy some romantic fantasy yesterday. I picked up Outsiders by Melanie Jackson and the Charmed Destinies anthology by Lackey/R.Lee/Asaro.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:42 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Let us know what you think of Charmed Destinies. I'll probably be getting it with a gift certificate I will be getting shortly. I can't wait to read the Asaro story, even though I just finished her latest book. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I'm totally addicted to her stories.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:02 PM
Passionate Fan

Have recently gone on a long fantasy binge. Went and got Wolfskin by Juliet Marillier in hardback from a charity shop and read that. Got the Kushiel trilogy by Jacqueline Carey in the last two weeks and read those. Have bought Magician by Feist and am gonna re-read that. ALSO, i got Dune from the library and i've gotta read that. Finally, i got Sarah Zettel's book and i've read that. Anything i've missed? No? Good.

I want the books by George R R Martin as well. Damn it.

[ 11-14-2003: Message edited ~*Nazia*~ ]
Old 11-16-2003, 11:39 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I started Dhampire this weekend. Freaking great book so far. In a fantasy setting you have a half elf and a vampire hunter learning their destiny along with a small group of vamps that you learn all about. I'm 150 pages in and quite engaged. I could easily stay up reading it all night. But forcing myself to call it a night. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2003, 06:17 AM
Master Fan

I finally got Heir to the Shadows. So I'll be rereading that soon. To think it was the first book of the trilogy that I read and it will be the last book of the trilogy that I get.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:21 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I'm reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley and I already can't put it down. It's so different than anything else she's ever written.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

I've never read any Robin McKinley. Any suggestions for where would be good to start?
Old 11-18-2003, 08:15 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by evaki:
<STRONG>I've never read any Robin McKinley. Any suggestions for where would be good to start?</STRONG>
I think anywhere is good to start, actually. She only has one series and The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown can be read in either order. Other books sort of tie into the Damar world, but they aren't actually part of the series. If you like fairy tale retellings, then I recommend Beauty, Rose Daughter, Spindle's End, Deerskin, The Outlaws of Sherwood, and the short story anthology A Door in the Hedge. Finally, Sunshine is a vampire story and only her second really adult book (most of her books are considered young adult, except for Deerskin, although I still see that in the YA department sometimes and totally disagree with it being there).
Old 11-19-2003, 06:14 AM
Master Fan

Oooh, I'll have to look up Sunshine.

Evaki, I'd start with either The Blue Sword or The Hero and the Crown. I think I read THATC first. I love those two books. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz:
<STRONG>I'm reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley and I already can't put it down. It's so different than anything else she's ever written.</STRONG>
I had it on hold at the library, but when my turn came they notified be my e-mail, which I didn't check until two days later, and it snowed for two days straight, so I didn't want to make the trek to the library. So I'm back on the list. I'm super excited to read it -- especially since I've been in a reading rut lately. It's shelved in the YA section at the library, though. Well, it will be when it is shelved; as of right now the five copies in the district are either checked out or on hold for someone.

Anyway, I consider Robin McKinley my favorite fantasy author and a must for anyone. I started with "Beauty", but against common opinion I don't think that's her best. My favorite is "The Hero and the Crown" though I love all of her books.
--Rachel
Old 11-19-2003, 03:27 PM
Master Fan

Rachel, ITA. I love The Hero and the Crown. Beauty is good, but it's not original. I much prefer her original stuff versus her retellings.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hi all [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] thanks for the input. I've looked at RM on many occasions but often thought it would be worth my wild to ask for input first... then never got around to it. I think I'll pick one of her orginals to begin with. Orignals (vs. retellings) seem like a better choice when trying to introduce oneself to a new author. We all carry so much of our own interpretation to a well known story. I'll peek on amazon.com for both Hero and Sword and pick the one that seems most interesting.
I'm assuming that Beauty is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty? Am I off base?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I'm probably the only person I know who liked The Blue Sword better than The Hero and the Crown. I liked that I read them in that order because it made me anticipate Hero so much with all of the Aerin references in TBS.

Beauty and Rose Daughter are both Beauty and the Beast retellings. And there's a Beauty and the Beast reference in Sunshine too. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Master Fan

Didn't RM write Blue Sword first? I love both books, Hero has a special place because it was the first book I read by her and it got me into fantasy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread   Post New Thread