Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
<STRONG>Soz, I remember reading your post on this book a while back .. for some reason didn't realize it was vamp related. Sorry to hear it wasn't up to snuff.</STRONG>
I couldn't remember if Rachel and I mentioned here or on the SFF board's thread about Sunshine being a vampire book. I found the vampires, weres, and other characters interesting, but McKinley didn't follow through on a lot of things. Also, I was lead to believe that there would be a romance between the heroine and the vampire and that never totally got off the ground. If this was the first of a series, I'd be a heck of a lot happier with it right now.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:04 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Were the characters well developed? That's usually key to me the story is often secondary but still important.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:01 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
<STRONG>Were the characters well developed? That's usually key to me the story is often secondary but still important.</STRONG>
I think that's part of the reason I'm so frustrated with the book. Rae/ Sunshine was pretty well-developed, but I didn't like the way the author used to develop her: flashbacks that happened during suspensful moments of the book that dragged on forever. And I really wanted to know a lot more about the vampire. McKinley introduced certain things having to do with her vampire mythos, then never followed through, so Constantine largely remained a mystery.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:01 PM
Master Fan

Is Sunshine the first in a series from McKinley?

[ 11-27-2003: Message edited onionroach ]
Old 11-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Master Fan

From what I've heard, it certainly FEELS like one, but this is what McKinley has to say about it:
Quote:
In the meantime, for all of you who are writing me eagerly asking about the possibility of/ requesting politely/ demanding a sequel to Sunshine, thank you very much for your expressed enthusiasm, but the answer is: I haven't the slightest idea if I'll write a sequel! It's not up to me! I can't do anything unless or until a story comes to me and says, 'Write me — write me now.' (This is all in the FAQ, by the way.) I'd love to write more about Sunshine — I know quite a bit about what happens to her — but it's not up to me. If you want to nag someone, find the mailing address of the Story Council and nag them to send me the sequel. (If you discover the mailing address of the Story Council, however, I want it. Badly. I have a few things to say to them about the unreasonableness of their system. Maybe it worked back in the days of bards and shamans and authorized lunacy, but it's a rotten system for present-day, this-world writers trying to, you know, earn a living, and maybe behave like human beings instead of like mental cases.) Given my professional history on the subject of sequels, I can't say that the odds are very good (I know a lot about Damar that hasn't seen print either), but maybe the Story Council has changed administration recently and is, even as I write this, making radical and extensive alterations in their organization and structure. And the sequel to Sunshine is due to hit the inside of the back of my skull with a thunk any day now. But don't count on it.
--Rachel
Old 11-28-2003, 01:19 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I know how it is being a writer and not being the one in control, but at least finish the story you've tried to tell, then you might not have to worry about a sequel. &lt;mutters to self: "not that I'm bitter or anything."&gt; [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I love McKinley, but I swear if she does something like this again, I'm not going to run out to get her new book from the library again. I'll wait to see how reviewers feel about it and if it seems like there's a cliffhanger, I'll just skip the book. I feel cheated, but I'd feel 1000 times worse if I had actually bought the book!
Old 11-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Has anyone heard of or read Chris Moriarty? She only has one book out now called Spin State, but she's working on an indirect sequel now. I never heard of her until I read a recent SciFi chat log with her and Lois McMaster Bujold. I'm going to try to read her book as soon as I can.

I was reading through Moriarty's web site and I'm going to adopt the term she said Italians use for speculative fiction: fantascienza (or science fantasy). For me, it's much less ponderous than saying or writing speculative fiction or science fiction and fantasy, plus it doesn't lead to all of those arguments like "Is Pern SF or fantasy?" It also encompasses all forms of SF and fantasy, so no more arguing about hard versus soft SF or epic versus light fantasy.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:44 PM
jjt
Master Fan

fantascienza .. very nice indeed would solve many of the cross class books. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2003, 02:39 PM
Extreme Fan

I'm reccing Jim Butcher - and his Harry Dresden series...(it's a bit of magic with some mystery mixed in) that dude can seriously write! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

House -- vote for it.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:56 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I started reading Sizemore's vamp romance "I burn for you." It's predictable but entertaining .. so far a guilty pleasure read.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:29 PM
Dedicated Fan

One of my students suggested George R. R. Martin for some reading over break. Anyone heard of him? Is he any good? I like LOTR and Stephen King, Harry Potter. Is he like any of these at all?

Thanks,

Laura
Old 12-03-2003, 08:29 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Finished I burn for you .. not sure if I should post about it here or the romance thread. It's much more romance novel than vamp novel .. but a quick and entertaining read .. I quite enjoyed it.

The psychic bonding and the vamp clan structure was interesting but not explored as much as well .. the physical bonding. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-03-2003, 08:42 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I wholeheartedly agree with at least three of their choices. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Dhampire, Endless nights and Cerulean Sins!

http://www.bordersstores.com/walden/...le=best2003wsf

Best of 2003
Science Fiction & Fantasy

At the end of the year, we choose our favorite science fiction and fantasy of the previous 12 months, a process that always produces animated discussion and an occasional heated argument. We've come up with what we think is a pretty thoughtful array that represents a wide range of tastes and interests while maintaining a high standard of excellence. Please consider this list—and the rest of our selections for the best books of 2003—a reflection not just of our tastes, but also of our passions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High Druid of Shannara: Jarka Ruus by Terry Brooks

A new Shannara adventure begins with this first novel in a new series. Many years have passed since the evil Morgawr was destroyed. Grianne Ohmsford—once known as the Ilse Witch—has denounced her former life of destruction. But when she disappears, it's up to her nephew Pen and a small band of his loyal friends to save her from a terrible fate.
Read an excerpt.

Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind

The latest from Goodkind's bestselling Sword of Truth series has finally arrived, bringing more of the author's trademark adventure and suspense to his many fans. Once again he returns to his central characters, Richard and Kahlan, to tell a story filled with magic and excitement.
Read an excerpt.

Dune: The Machine Crusade by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

Frank Herbert's son teamed with Anderson to complete the story begun in Dune, working from his father's extensive notes to reconstruct the back history. As Dune: The Machine Crusade begins, 20 years have passed since the events of Dune: The Butlerian Jihad, and the human worlds are weary of their battle against intelligent machines.

The Sandman: Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman

Gaiman returns to his breathtaking Sandman series in this incredible graphic novel that features several characters from his earlier work. Seven ethereal siblings—Destiny, Death, Dream, Desire, Despair, Delirium, and Destruction, collectively known as the Endless, star in their own lavishly illustrated individual stories.

Dhampir by Barb and J.C. Hendee

Magiere was just an everyday con artist who made a living taking money from superstitious villagers to "slay" their vampires. Now she and her partner are ready to retire to a quiet life of enjoying their ill-gotten gains. But fate after encountering three very real vampires who seem terrified of her, she must consider the possibility that she really has the powers of a dhampir, or vampire slayer.

Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan

After a long wait, the 10th book in Jordan's Wheel of Time series arrived in early 2003. Crossroads of Twilight picks up where its predecessor, Winter's Heart, left off. The lives of many stand at a crossroads as Rand al'Thor struggles to discern friend from foe.
Read an excerpt.

Cerulean Sins by Laurell K. Hamilton

Anita Blake, the sworn enemy of the undead, is the consort of not one but two creatures of the night. Her love for Jean-Claude, the Master Vampire gets pushed to its very limit when the oldest of the vampires arrives to take over Jean-Claude's clan. This steamy novel of otherworldly suspense is the 11th in the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, series.

Condemnation by Richard Baker

The third book in the War of the Spider Queen series, this novel explores one of the spookiest parts of the Forgotten Realms universe: the Underdark, home of the dark elves also known as the drow. Civil war is at hand deep below the surface of the world… don't miss the suspense.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Passionate Fan

Well, I guess I'm not much of an SF/F reader...I only read about 1 1/2 of the books on that list. I never did finish Dhamphir, although I will have to at some point if I intend on buying the sequel.

jjt, I have I Burn for You still sitting in my TBR pile. I'll have to move that one up on my reading list. Is the tone of the book light-hearted or dark?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:11 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I haven't read any of those books. I think Borders went more with best-selling and popular books though (I had a really scathing comment about the "Dune" book, but since I haven't read it, I'll keep my mouth, er, fingers, shut). I can't believe Bujold's Paladin of Souls isn't on their list.