Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Passionate Fan

Soz you are so lucky to have access to signings like that. I noticed that Robert Sawyer will be signing there in November. I just finished seeing him at the book festival here but I didn't go for the book signing because I'm not familiar with his work.

Too bad about missing KB. It would've been nice to get an authographed copy of Kristen Britain's latest book. I didn't buy it this year because it was Hardback.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I've seen Robert Sawyer at the local SF convention and I liked a lot of the things he said, so I put him on my to read list, but haven't gotten around to his books yet.

I didn't buy Britain's new book either because it's hardcover. I never realized until it came out that it was going to be an hc. I still haven't read her first book, but now that book two is out and I can get it from the library, I might read them back to back.

I'm still waiting for my call from the library about the new Bujold and Asaro books. The Bujold is in at another library, so my library apparently never made the request for it. I guess I'll go to the other library to pick it up, but I don't think I'll finish the book before the Bujold signing Monday. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ 10-15-2003: Message edited Soz ]
Old 10-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Well, I did end up picking up the new Bujold book and I'm about half done with it now. The first 100 or so pages are slow, but it has really picked up now. For anyone interested in reading Bujold's Chalion series, you can read either The Curse of Chalion or Paladin of Souls first. The third book, which won't be out for a while can also be read in any order because it takes place in another province and there is no character overlap. Bujold read an excerpt at the signing and I already can't wait to read it. I wish I had been able to go to the convention too because she did readings from it there as well.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

Just wanted to say I'm about 1/3 of the way done House of Gaian and I'm loving it!!! To bad life is so hectic that I can't just be left alone for a whole day to sit and read. Tell me again why I have to have a job and make dinner for my four year old? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz:
<STRONG>I didn't buy Britain's new book either because it's hardcover. I never realized until it came out that it was going to be an hc. I still haven't read her first book, but now that book two is out and I can get it from the library, I might read them back to back.
</STRONG>
I was planning on doing that, however my library hasn't gotten it in yet. I own Green Rider in paperback but haven't read it yet. I read the first couple of chapters but didn't get into it, so I put it aside to start on some other books. Someday I'll read it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm back on a fantasy kick again ... usually I read nothing but fantasy for months, and then I stop and read other books, but I always find my way back to fantasy. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I read The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale. Absolutely loved it! I was up until 5:30 AM last Sunday reading it, and then I spent all afternoon reading it as well. I haven't had a book like that in a while. And she happens to live in Salt Lake City, just twenty miles away, so hopefully I'll be able to get a signed copy in the future. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Then yesterday I read Goose Chase by Patrice Kindl (I was in a goose mood). It was okay, but not a favorite or a re-read.

I also have Once Upon a Marigold and The Tale of Desperaux checked out of the library and will probably read those this weekend. I'm also planning on getting some books by E. Nesbit and Edward Eager -- as apparently those are children's fantasy classics. There are also two Patricia C. Wrede books I'm planning on checking out. This weekend is going to be the weekend of reading. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I also have a hold at the library on Robin McKinley's Sunshine. Has anyone read that one yet?
--Rachel
Old 10-17-2003, 09:20 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel:
<STRONG>I also have a hold at the library on Robin McKinley's Sunshine. Has anyone read that one yet?
--Rachel</STRONG>
[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Hi Rachel. I put Sunshine on inter-library loan, so who knows when I will be able to read it. I found out that my library's web site is totally interactive, so I can request books right on the web, plus renew them. There's also a wish list feature, but it's not working currently.

I hope to finish Paladin of Souls tonight, then I'll be back to the Anne Bishop series. As you all can see, I'm also on a fantasy kick now. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2003, 06:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang:
<STRONG>Oh, The House of Gaian is a good read and a fitting end to the trilogy. Don't worry, my personal gripes were mostly about certain characters playing lesser roles and a few cruel plot twists...but these are only minor complaints in the overall big picture. I think you will really enjoy reading this book. There are new interesting characters and plenty of plot developments/revelations. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
I'll agree wholeheartedly. Love the story, the trilogy, the characters. Just a little sad about the way it ended for some. To be cryptic enough for those who haven't read it yet, I'll just say....No, not HER. I think you'll know what I mean when you read it. Also there where a few hangers to me. But I'm hoping they are openings for either a new story, or dare I say it, a trilogy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Master Fan

I bought House of Gaian last night and finished it last night. It was good. I thought the ending was a little...short for all the build up. Anyway, it was okay. I didn't like Selene as much as I like Ashk, probably because I know more about Ashk. I'll be rereading it soon. LOL
Old 10-22-2003, 05:35 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Well, I finally finished Paladin of Souls, so I'll get back to The Pillars of the World again tonight. After that, I'll have to take a break and finish another library book, then I'll get back to the Fae series.

[ 10-22-2003: Message edited Soz ]
Old 10-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I had to postpone the Fae series again because the new Catherine Asaro book was in at the library. So I'm reading Skyfall now. As much as I love this series, I wish Asaro would advance the story a bit instead of focusing on the same events from several different viewpoints or doing prequels, like this book and the next one that's due next spring. But I am looking forward to learning more about one of my favorite characters, who is in both prequels.

[ 10-26-2003: Message edited Soz ]
Old 10-27-2003, 09:49 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I'm half way thru LOTR: Return of the King and 150 pages or so into Through wolf's eyes .. adoring both! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2003, 06:12 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
<STRONG>I'm half way thru LOTR: Return of the King and 150 pages or so into Through wolf's eyes .. adoring both! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
I'm going to start ROTK again (I've read it before, though) before the movie comes out, just to refresh my memory. Right now I am reading The Wood Wife by Terri Windling. This book was the winner of the World Fantasy Award (the year?). Windling's writing is amazing!
Old 11-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Addicted Fan

u guys have to check out the Harry Dresden files

the first book in the series is Storm Front by Jim Butcher

Bherry

[ 11-01-2003: Message edited Bheryandcherry ]
Old 11-04-2003, 04:15 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I finished Skyfall and enjoyed it quite a bit, despite my reservations about it being a prequel. I'm even looking forward now to the next book, which is another prequel and a sequel to Skyfall.

I picked up Sunshine from the library last night and hope to start it soon. I have one other library book to finish first though.

Then I think I'll alternate the Fae books with the remaining LOTR books I have to read. I really want to finish LOTR before the third movie comes out next month.

I'd also like to finish reading Clive Barker's Abarat. I started it a while ago but couldn't stay interested, for some reason. I felt horribly guilty too because Barker is my favorite writer, but I guess I just tried to read it at the wrong time. That should take me through to the end of the year and I'm afraid my total books read for this year will be very low. I have been writing more and I've been ill, plus I have a TiVo. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] I need to reorganize my time so I have more time to read. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2003, 08:35 AM
jjt
Master Fan

Well I've been swamped with RL stuff this week .. but did manage to finish Through wolf's eyes wednesday .. adored it so picked up the next in the series last night. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] If you like castle politics this is a book for you.

I'm nearly thru Return of the King as well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread   Post New Thread