Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

The All New Science Fiction and Fantasy Book Discussion Thread

There is a similar thread on the SFF board, but a lot of the people who used to post when it was on the Books board haven't joined us on the new thread, so I asked if we could have one again here too. So here it is.

Anyone reading a great fantasy or SF book that they would like to share with us?

I am currently reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire- finally! I'm hoping my local library gets book 5 so I can reserve it.

I've also recently read The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring and I loved it, so I'll be reading The Two Towers soon.

[ 05-27-2003: Message edited Soz ]
Old 05-27-2003, 08:13 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Welcome Back Sci-Fi/Fantasy fans! [img]smilies/wiggle.gif[/img] I've missed this thread.

Reminder that there is a Sci fi Fantasy board now http://www.e4fans.net/forums4fans/ul...12&SUBMIT.y=12 So try to stop by there as well. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Now onto my current reading.

I just reread Laurell K Hamilton's Obsidian Butterfly. God I miss Edward. Finished it last night.

Then started back on the graphic novel by JMS Midnight Nation today since I'm loaning it out next week. Then set for tonight's bedtime reading. Red Dwarf .. Better than Life. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 04:07 AM
Extreme Fan

Actually, I just got into two series right now. Woe thy wallet of mine.

Bought the entire set of Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth novels. Well, the ones that are currently available anyway. I'm on the fourth book, Temple of the Winds, but I got sidetracked by George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones. Both are quite good, although Gookind's books seriously had me hooked for days on end. Freakishly devoured the first three books (they're sooo frellin' long!) but it was all worth it.

Started Good Omens as well tonight, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It's a hoot.

Hopefully, when the next HP comes around, I'll be finished with my books. On to the next obsession, please. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 05-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I haven't yet gotten into the Martin or Goodkind series. I have an anthology with stories or novellas from both though, so I'll see how I like them first before I rush out to buy the books or get the from the library. I must admit that the size and number of books in each series makes me a little nervous. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]

Speaking of long series, I just bought two more Shannara books. I've heard so many varying opinions on these that I'm just going to have to try them myself. I have most of the books, but haven't read a single one yet. Most of the books were either given to me or I bought them for a quarter though, so even if I don't like them, I didn't spend a ton of money on them.

I also bought another of Orson Scott Card's Ender books and one of Tamora Pierce's Circle of Magic books.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Passionate Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]Great to see the old thread back here.

I haven't read much lately. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] I've had so many colds & allergies during May that I've had to forego holding a book in favour of holding a kleenex box. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

I did manage to get through about 60 pages of War of the Flowers. Unfortunately the early chapters are all about how miserable the protagonist's life is...so it's kind of depressing. Hopefully, the story will pick up once the setting changes from our world to Faerie. The other book I was reading was a fantasy romance called Impractical Magic by Karen Fox but I think I might put that one down for a while and read something else.

I also went to the book store today and picked up The Visitor by Sheri S. Tepper and The Silver Wolf by Alice Borchardt.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
I just reread Laurell K Hamilton's Obsidian Butterfly. God I miss Edward. Finished it last night.
As an Edward fan I know I'm going to get heat over admitting this but...technically I never finished reading OB. [img]smilies/embarrassment.gif[/img] I got maybe 3/4 through and then put it down temporarily and forgot about it. I skimmed the missed chapters later for continuity sake but I never actually finished the story cover to cover. I think this all happened around the time when I got in the habit of reading several books simultaneously and OB got lossed in the shuffle. Maybe reading it again might be a good idea huh? I even think my bookmark is still in there holding my place.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang:
<STRONG>

As an Edward fan I know I'm going to get heat over admitting this but...technically I never finished reading OB. [img]smilies/embarrassment.gif[/img] I got maybe 3/4 through and then put it down temporarily and forgot about it. I skimmed the missed chapters later for continuity sake but I never actually finished the story cover to cover. I think this all happened around the time when I got in the habit of reading several books simultaneously and OB got lossed in the shuffle. Maybe reading it again might be a good idea huh? I even think my bookmark is still in there holding my place.</STRONG>

[img]smilies/nono.gif[/img] tsk, tsk. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Well, the villain was a little freaky for me, but the story was good, I thought. The misogynist was scary. Actually I thought it him in the latest book (can't remember the name right now).

I'm currently rereading Goblet of Fire with my husband. He seems to like it. Other than that, I'm not reading any scifi/fantasy. I did get Lackey's Oathblood which I'll get around to reading sooner or later.

[ 05-31-2003: Message edited onionroach ]
Old 05-31-2003, 09:36 AM
jjt
Master Fan

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] TSG! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] You so should finish OB .. asap. But considering how much more I got out of it the second time .. I'd start the reread from the begining. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Master Fan

I went to the library yesterday and got Bitten by Kelley Armstrong. It was okay. I'm not sure if I totally like Clay, but he's growing on me. And Elena is too much like Anita Blake personality wise. I found her a bit annoying. I definately liked all the other characters and the story was interesting.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:50 AM
jjt
Master Fan

Posted this for ya over at sf/f but figured I'd throw the link in here too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Have you read any of her on line prequel? It's Clay's story.
http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/mNovella.htm
Old 06-02-2003, 04:18 AM
Loyal Fan

There's this really good book called The Gift - The first book of Pellinor by Alison Croggon, there's more stuff about it [URL=http://www.forums4fans.com/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=19&t=001782]here[/i] If u wanna check it out [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

- - Maroon 5 - -
Old 06-03-2003, 10:59 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Wanted to make sure everyone knew about .. http://www.EyeOnBooks.com has little audio clips from several great sf/f writers. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2003, 04:07 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
<STRONG>Wanted to make sure everyone knew about .. http://www.EyeOnBooks.com has little audio clips from several great sf/f writers. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Thanks for the link; I had never heard of that site.

Which reminds me, this site Hour 25 has interviews with many SFF authors.

Intel, I read the thread about The Gift and I hope to find it at the library because it sounds interesting.

[ 06-04-2003: Message edited Soz ]
Old 06-04-2003, 05:35 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz:
I must admit that the size and number of books in each series makes me a little nervous. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]

Speaking of long series, I just bought two more Shannara books...
Don't let the size fool ya. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] If you get a chance to read the first one (and the only reason I read it was that it always caught my eye when I kept checking out sff books) and you end up liking it, then you'll pretty much like the rest of the series. Although most books have their own plots and stuff, they seem to really have the same essence (structure, themes, plot, characterizations) etc.

I bought the first book on a whim, cause there was a special edition that's only 2.99 or something, a nice promotion that sucked me in. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Anyway, The Sword of Truth series really did enthrall me, the world, the characters, all the morality and good vs evil schtick. It was definitely an addictive read, and I have to say, the author sure knows how to stretch each book into 700-800 pages.

I often don't like to skim or skip pages, but it's completely necessary with this series as Goodkind likes to refresh the reader's memory on the previous books plot. I just skim half a page or so when he babbles because it's for those who need the catch up.

So, I've probably filtered out a 100 pages of each book, some more than others, depending on how frustrated I was at the book/author. I usually feel guilty about skipping, but I really don't think I missed much. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I did finish book six of the series last night (Faith of the Fallen) and started to read book seven Pillars of Creation because I was quite eager to know what was happening next with the main characters and all, when I realized Goodkind decided to throw in a new character, and then proceeded to have this character encompass the entire 600 pages of the book. Wtff?

Least to say, I didn't bother reading and skipped over the 600 pages (whoops) and read the last fifty or so pages where it actually resolved everything. I can honestly say, I didn't miss much. Goodkind seems to use the same themes over and over again for different characters or plots.... [img]smilies/hammer_head.gif[/img] But hey, it seems to work most often than not.

And I guess my point is, that long series = good. Sometimes. But I love to get into a series because if I get into a book, I love the fact that there's always more where it came from (usually). Never read the Shannara books, but I'll get to it, someday. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] First, I have to devour Martin's series, and I've got Anne Bishop's Pillars of Creation book to test out. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Man! I love having so much time off to read.

[ 06-04-2003: Message edited VenturingDreamer ]
Old 06-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I saw the special promotion $2.99 edition of the first Sword of Truth book at the grocery store last night. I was really surprised to see it there and to see how cheap it was. I'll probably just get it from the library, if I ever get around to reading it.

I have that Bishop book and still haven't read it. I'm holding out until October when the third book in the series comes out. I haven't even bought the second one yet. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] I'm hoping she does a signing at a local bookstore, as she used to do. She didn't do one for Shadows and Light, otherwise I would have bought it right when it came out.

I finally got into Harry Potter 4 and I'll probably finish it this week. I have no clue what to read next though. I might take a break from SFF for a little while, then read The Two Towers after the time off.