Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2003, 06:23 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I'm quite fond of the half-demon folk too. So I'm hoping Adam will play a part in Paige's story. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But I do think that there will be a bigger story pool with them than either the vamps, witches or other races.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:45 AM
jjt
Master Fan

scifi had this

Fantasy Nominees Named

Nominations have been announced for this year's World Fantasy Awards, for works published in 2002, Locus Online reported. The winners will be named on Nov. 2 at the World Fantasy Convention 2003 in Washington. A life achievement award, whose nominees are not released in advance, will also be announced at the convention. A full list of nominees follows.

Novel

•The Facts of Life by Graham Joyce
•Fitcher's Brides by Gregory Frost
•Ombria in Shadow by Patricia A. McKillip
•The Portrait of Mrs. Charbuque by Jeffrey Ford
•The Scar by China Miéville

Novella

•"Coraline" by Neil Gaiman
•"The Least Trumps" by Elizabeth Hand
•"The Library" by Zoran Zivkovic
•"Seven Wild Sisters" by Charles de Lint
•"A Year in the Linear City" by Paul Di Filippo

Short Story

•"Creation" by Jeffrey Ford
•"The Essayist in the Wilderness" by William Browning Spencer
•"Little Dead Girl Singing" by Stephen Gallagher
•"October in the Chair" by Neil Gaiman
•"The Weight of Words" by Jeffrey Ford

Anthology

•The American Fantasy Tradition, Brian M. Thomsen, ed.
•Conjunctions 39: The New Wave Fabulists, Peter Straub, ed.
•The Green Man: Tales from the Mythic Forest, Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, eds.
•Leviathan 3, Jeff VanderMeer and Forrest Aguirre, eds.
•The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Fifteenth Annual Collection, Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, eds.

Collection

•City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer
•The Fantasy Writer's Assistant and Other Stories by Jeffrey Ford
•Figures in Rain by Chet Williamson
•The Ogre's Wife by Richard Parks
•Waifs and Strays by Charles de Lint
•Water: Tales of Elemental Spirits by Robin McKinley and Peter Dickinson

Artist

•Kinuko Y. Craft
•Tom Kidd
•Gary Lippincott
•Dave McKean
•John Jude Palencar
•Charles Vess

Special Award, Professional

•Paul Barnett (for Paper Tiger art books)
•Ellen Datlow (for editing)
•William K. Schafer (for Subterranean Press)
•Gary Turner & Marty Halpern (for Golden Gryphon Press)
•Gordon Van Gelder (for F&SF)
•Terri Windling (for editing)

Special Award, Non-Professional

•Peter Crowther (for PS Publishing)
•Gavin Grant & Kelly Link (for Small Beer Press)
•Sean Wallace (for Prime Books)
•Michael Walsh (for Old Earth Books)
•Jason Williams, Jeremy Lassen and Benjamin Cossel (for Night Shade Books)
Old 08-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

Well I finally finished Battlefield Earth, which took me forever to finish but I enjoyed it. I took two days to read Harry Potter 5 which I liked a lot and have just started Kevin Crossley-Holland's 'The Seeing Stone'. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2003, 03:45 AM
LKB
Dedicated Fan

Has anyone here read the (Thomas Covenant)? trilogies by Stephen R. Donaldson?
Old 08-10-2003, 08:08 AM
jjt
Master Fan

Only the first one .. and that was years and years ago.
Old 08-11-2003, 04:57 AM
LKB
Dedicated Fan

Oh, you didn't care for it then?
Old 08-12-2003, 03:27 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I actually remember liking it. The lead was sort of a dark hero. But I don't remember much else about it. And I only had the first book. I'm thinking if I reread it now I'd probably get into it. So many books so little time. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2003, 06:30 AM
LKB
Dedicated Fan

Tell me about it! I'll probably never have time to real all the books I want to read.

I really loved the Covenant books. There were so many themes that I personally related to. Also, they are definitely the only books that ever motivated me to research leprosy! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]
Old 09-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Passionate Fan

hmmmm....posting at fanforum is beginning to feel like I'm stuck in some Star Trek paradox/time loop. Conversation deja vu anyone? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm sure i've mentioned this a couple times already...I recently got my copy of The House of Gaian by Anne Bishop. I'm about 3/4 through the book and although I do like it, I find it somewhat disappointing. Some of the characters didn't develop the way I thought they would, which kind of dampened my enthusiasm for the overall story. I had a similar impression with the final installment of the Black Jewels trilogy...where sometimes you develop high expectations for certain characters and then anything less than what you expected ends up feeling like a letdown. Oh well...I still think this Fae Trilogy was awesome even though the last book is the weakest IMHO.

[ 09-30-2003: Message edited thescoobygang ]
Old 09-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang:
<STRONG>hmmmm....posting at fanforum is beginning to feel like I'm stuck in some Star Trek paradox/time loop. Conversation deja vu anyone? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

I plan to start the Fae trilogy within the week. I have two library books to finish up first, then I'll read Pillars of the World. I doubt I'll finish it before the signing this weekend though. After I read the Fae books, I'll try Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner trilogy. I really wish I could have read them before the signing too, but I didn't have the time (especially since I only found out about the Bishop/Flewelling signing a week or two ago). I'm also hoping my inter-library loan request for Lois McMaster Bujold's new book arrives soon.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:23 AM
New Fan

I'm reading Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. I've almost finished the second book have only got about 100 pages left! The books are really great, I kind of don't want to read the next one because I know there hasn't come out the second one after that yet. And I really don't want to stop reading them.

I'm also reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time, I've only read the first book yet though!
Old 10-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang:
<STRONG>hmmmm....posting at fanforum is beginning to feel like I'm stuck in some Star Trek paradox/time loop. Conversation deja vu anyone? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I'm sure i've mentioned this a couple times already...I recently got my copy of The House of Gaian by Anne Bishop. I'm about 3/4 through the book and although I do like it, I find it somewhat disappointing. Some of the characters didn't develop the way I thought they would, which kind of dampened my enthusiasm for the overall story. I had a similar impression with the final installment of the Black Jewels trilogy...where sometimes you develop high expectations for certain characters and then anything less than what you expected ends up feeling like a letdown. Oh well...I still think this Fae Trilogy was awesome even though the last book is the weakest IMHO.

[ 09-30-2003: Message edited thescoobygang ]</STRONG>
Ah...that's not what I want to hear! I'll have to wait to read the last book, but I'm looking forward to it.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:08 PM
Addicted Fan

I don't normally read fantasy, but my friend recommended The Belgarid series. Has anyone hear read it? Thought? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]...Is it worth purchasing?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:51 AM
New Fan

I've read the Belgariad, I thought it was great! I've read it two times. The first time I borrowed the books from the library and after I'd read all Eddings books that the library had a bought some of them just because they're so great!
Old 10-02-2003, 03:01 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hey [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]
Has anyone read Sabriel?
...and Lirael?
They're the MOST amazing books and they're written by Garth Nix