Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2003, 07:18 AM
Passionate Fan

onionroach: Oh, The House of Gaian is a good read and a fitting end to the trilogy. Don't worry, my personal gripes were mostly about certain characters playing lesser roles and a few cruel plot twists...but these are only minor complaints in the overall big picture. I think you will really enjoy reading this book. There are new interesting characters and plenty of plot developments/revelations. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Soz: Let us know what you think of Pillars of the World when you get around to reading it. [img]smilies/read.gif[/img]

Ilyena: Someone highly recommended that I read Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire but I haven't gotten around to finding a copy yet. Adding to my wishlist.

elethenial: Garth Nix? I see his name everywhere but I haven't researched what kind of books he writes. I'll have to check him out.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:09 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang:
<STRONG>Soz: Let us know what you think of Pillars of the World when you get around to reading it. [img]smilies/read.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
I definitely will. And it's good to know that despite your reservations, all three books are well worth reading. I'm getting all excited about the signing now- and the thought of coming home and curling up with an Anne Bishop trilogy. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 09:44 AM
jjt
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by elethoniel:
<STRONG>Garth Nix</STRONG>

I've heard the name before .. trying to place it.
Old 10-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Welcome Ilyena, xallyx, and elethoniel. [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] I haven't read any of the books you've mentioned... yet.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:10 AM
Master Fan

Right now I'm reading Wit'ch Storm. It's sucking me in. It's been a while since I read the first book in the series.

I got Changing Planes: Stories by LeGuin from the library. It looks interesting. I can't wait to start it.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by onionroach:
<STRONG>Right now I'm reading Wit'ch Storm. It's sucking me in. It's been a while since I read the first book in the series.</STRONG>
eerie coincidence. Yesterday I was going through my massive TBR book pile and pulled out Wit'ch Storm.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hi all! [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] I see so many familiar names here. I've been busy study, but let me get this straight... House of Gaian is out!!!??? I usually let amazon.com guide me for release dates and they say a release date of 10/7. The exact date that I planned to be rushing a book store somewhere in the city of Philadelphia to get my copy. So it has already hit the shelves? I should go to the store tomorrow?

Also, I just finished Wit'ch Fire about a month ago. Is book two better, worse, or about the same?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:39 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by evaki:
<STRONG>
Also, I just finished Wit'ch Fire about a month ago. Is book two better, worse, or about the same?</STRONG>
Well, I read the Wit'ch Fire a while ago, but from what I remember the pace seems to be the same. I have nothing to complain about so far. LOL
Old 10-06-2003, 12:51 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by evaki:
<STRONG>Hi all! [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] I see so many familiar names here. I've been busy study, but let me get this straight... House of Gaian is out!!!??? I usually let amazon.com guide me for release dates and they say a release date of 10/7. The exact date that I planned to be rushing a book store somewhere in the city of Philadelphia to get my copy. So it has already hit the shelves? I should go to the store tomorrow?</STRONG>
It seems that Bishop's publisher often has books come out early. All of her Fae books have come out between one and three weeks before the actual release date. She and her editor explained why once on her newsgroup, but it was complicated, so I don't remember it now. There was something about two dates though and it was okay to sell before one, but not the other. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hey Soz thanks for the info. I'll have to keep that in mind. Who is Bishop's publisher anywho? Does that release before the release date apply to other authors by the same publisher also? I will keep it in mind for the next Bishop book. Has anybody heard any hints (now that the Fae trilogy is wrapped up) where Anne Bishop was planning to go her next literary trek? So far I love everything she has written, so I can't wait to see where she takes us next.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I'm not sure if it applies to other Roc authors because I don't regularly buy anyone else's books published by Roc right now. I know that before Amazon and other online stores were widely known, books always came out a month earlier than the release date mentioned in previous books and the Bowker Forthcoming Books lists. It was just a thing with publishers. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

As for what Bishop is doing next, she said at the signing (and I've read about it on her newsgroup too) that her next project is a short story collection for the Black Jewels world. She has Lucivar's story done already, which is about his courtship with Mariane (sp?). There's also a Saetan prequel story and a story about Daemon and Jaenelle set after The Queen of the Darkness. She hasn't decided yet what the fourth and final story will be.

Also, there's a Surreal story coming out in a crime in fantasy anthology and Bishop has a story in the Mossy Creek shared world anthology series.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hey Soz thanks for all the cool updates. So you got to meet AB? Was this a recent signing? What was she like? I heard about the anthology somewhere also, just blanking on the source at the moment. In fact isn't the anthology already out?
Old 10-06-2003, 09:58 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

This was actually my third or fourth Anne Bishop signing. [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img] She does a lot of signings at a local bookstore, so I've been going since I read Daughter of the Blood. Anne is very opposite from what you'd expect considering her books. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] She's very nice, soft spoken, friendly, and she has an amazing reading voice.

The Black Jewels anthology isn't out yet (she's not done writing it yet), but the Mossy Creek book has been out since the summer.

I decided that since there's no way I'm going to finish the library book I'm reading now by the time it's due next Monday, I'll just read The Pillars of the World now and renew the library book on my way to the Lois McMaster Bujold signing (which is at the same bookstore that had the Bishop/Flewelling signing). I'm just too anxious to read the Fae books to concentrate on anything else right now. [img]smilies/spineyes.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 07:01 AM
Part-Time Fan

Soz
Where do you live and what is this great bookstore? Can we all camp on your livingroom floor for signings? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2003, 11:29 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I live not too far from Albany, NY. The bookstore is Flights of Fantasy: http://www.fof.net/ The owner is a big fan of pretty much every author I like too (including romance authors as well as SFF), so she tends to have a lot of great authors come in. Next week, she's having Lois McMaster Bujold in for a signing and I can't wait. Bujold is also the Guest of Honor at the local SF convention this weekend, but I can't afford to go. [img]smilies/bawl.gif[/img]

I wish I had the room to let all the Anne Bishop fans camp out here and we could all go the signings together. FOF does sell signed books for people who can't make it to the signings though. I went recently and saw a bunch of Kristen Britain's signed books. I didn't even know she was going to do a signing there. [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]

BTW, I started Pillars last night. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 10-07-2003: Message edited Soz ]