Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

It seems like Imogen is getting a lot of backlash already and being called a "fake." But I don't have that feeling about a character that we haven't even met yet or has been developed. If anything, I'm worried about her because of Eli. It's obvious that he's still hung up on Clare and with his manipulative nature I think there's a chance that he'll end up hurting both Clare and Imogen. Possibly use Imogen in an attempt to make Clare jealous? For some reason I see her as being fairly naive with her attention getting ways...she's not the one crashing cars. But Eli? He's fixated on Clare and he'll do whatever it takes to get what he wants and I think Imogen is going to get caught up this and get her heart broken. I don't doubt that he will use her.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

I've been getting into arguments on other sites on why Eli's a crappy person. That's the thing that bothers me the most about the fandom, that they go to extreme and farfetched arguments to absolve him of his wrongdoing, especially whenever they gripe about other characters who are actually nice people.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:03 AM
Extreme Fan

Of course, getting into internet arguments is never a particularly good idea
Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Extreme Fan

Sign me up!

I generally don't like Eli because of the "Tell, Don't Show" issue he seems to have, and the way he treats Clare. He usually feels like a cliche, too. The line "Growing apart!? Any other melodramatic cliches you wanna throw my way?" is just too ironic and painful.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Passionate Fan

I can't take this guy seriously .
Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Part-Time Fan

There's a thing that Munro usually does wwhenever he has to emote, it's called "Chewing the Scenery." The actor's lack of ability definitely doesn't help matters in addition to the fact that he's just poorly written. So don't worry about not being able to take him seriously; there's very good reason(s) why.

"YES OF COURSE I IRON MY UNDERWEAR. I AM NOT A HEATHEN EMMETT."
Old 08-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Why is it that no one ever acknowledges that Eli is partly to blame? Does being mentally ill absolve you of all responsibility? Eli is the one responsible for attending therapy and taking his medication. He has been in therapy since Umbrella so he should acknowledge that he has issues and it's his job to keep them in check. If he cannot do so, then maybe he needs to be in an environment that can keep him and others safe. He cannot go crashing cars in an attempt to manipulate an ex into staying with him and he cannot smash computer monitors because he sees her talking to another girl. This is dangerous behavior. And it's not like being with Clare will fix all of his issues. He might think it's the solution but it's not her responsibility to stay with him despite that she wants out of the relationship. I'm also disliking how blame is being placed on Imogen for Eli not taking his medication. That's his responsibility. We're all vulnerable to other's opinions, sometimes more than other times, but at the end of the day you have to step up and acknowledge that you made your decisions.

Julia, Clare, Imogen, Eli's childhood bully, Fitz, and Jake might trigger some unpleasant feelings for Eli. But they are people with their own feelings and actions and just because they do something he doesn't like doesn't mean he can throw a temper tantrum. It's his responsibility to control his reactions to situations. He cannot just be given a free pass to damage himself and others just because he has emotional problems. You can sympathize with him, but don't enable him and say "oh it's okay for this one, his ex died and he has emotional problems that stump all his doctors."

And don't even get me started on that. It seems to be that Eli's ~crazy is just being used for drama. The writers don't even know what disorder he has or what they are portraying, confusing the audience even more.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleidocat (View Post)
Why is it that no one ever acknowledges that Eli is partly to blame? Does being mentally ill absolve you of all responsibility? Eli is the one responsible for attending therapy and taking his medication. He has been in therapy since Umbrella so he should acknowledge that he has issues and it's his job to keep them in check. If he cannot do so, then maybe he needs to be in an environment that can keep him and others safe. He cannot go crashing cars in an attempt to manipulate an ex into staying with him and he cannot smash computer monitors because he sees her talking to another girl. This is dangerous behavior. And it's not like being with Clare will fix all of his issues. He might think it's the solution but it's not her responsibility to stay with him despite that she wants out of the relationship. I'm also disliking how blame is being placed on Imogen for Eli not taking his medication. That's his responsibility. We're all vulnerable to other's opinions, sometimes more than other times, but at the end of the day you have to step up and acknowledge that you made your decisions.

Julia, Clare, Imogen, Eli's childhood bully, Fitz, and Jake might trigger some unpleasant feelings for Eli. But they are people with their own feelings and actions and just because they do something he doesn't like doesn't mean he can throw a temper tantrum. It's his responsibility to control his reactions to situations. He cannot just be given a free pass to damage himself and others just because he has emotional problems. You can sympathize with him, but don't enable him and say "oh it's okay for this one, his ex died and he has emotional problems that stump all his doctors."

And don't even get me started on that. It seems to be that Eli's ~crazy is just being used for drama. The writers don't even know what disorder he has or what they are portraying, confusing the audience even more.
Bravo!

I couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 08-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:

I'm an Eli fan for sure, but omg- this is absolute perfection!

I honestly think I might end up not liking him this season because of the fact the writers are using his mental illness for stupid drama. I thought at the end of Umbrella this was going to be a really compelling storyline. But since then it's just been one over the top charade after another. I loved his little moments in Cry Me A River. He's far more enjoyable as a slightly-off dead pan snarker than as the token "crazy" one.

And thank you for pointing out how the girls are always blamed. My friend Sarah made a post about it on tumblr recently and until then I was convinced I was the only one noticing this. I was pretty darn shocked at how the fandom went from loving Clare to calling her the scum of the earth after she broke up with him. She got even worse after admitting she still liked him. Heaven forbid a girl realize a relationship is unhealthy and want to get out! The fact of the matter is sometimes you just can't be with someone you love and that doesn't mean you love them any less.

And I want a damn diagnosis already! I can't take this "he's just crazy" excuse seriously anymore.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Passionate Fan

We need to send that paragraph to everyone that blames everyone but Eli for his actions (yeah Imogen is a bad influence, but she didn't MAKE him do anything).
Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Passionate Fan

Is there something actually wrong with Eli or is it all for drama? In Paper Planes, he was acting... normal? I'm so confused!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:05 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

I'm bringing this baby back up for business, because while I'm not quite as far on this train as some others might be, it's pretty clear that his actions in last night's episode could justifiably raise the ire of those who don't like him.

So have at it, co-Mod.

And others.

Credit to the one and only kaleidocat for the avatar
Old 03-31-2012, 09:29 AM
Loyal Fan

Is it wrong that I don't care for Eli at all. I am an eclare fan bt I mostly ship it for the Clare part of it. It's funny how a ship that has Clare's full name in it has become mostly about Eli. It seems that any sympathy we should have had for Clare vanished because people thing she wronged Eli.

Eli is not perfect and I hate the pedestal that many (not all) Degrassi fans have put him on. Just let him graduate and be done with him.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Well, I was hoping that "Need You Now" part 2 ended with Imogen's father telling Eli to stop being a controlling jerk and then his dog chased him home, tearing his pants in the process and he streaked through Toronto in his tighty whities. I figured that must be why we met the dog in the first place.

I also would have liked Bullfrog to give that brat a much deserved spanking. And I don't even believe in corporal punishment.

Sadly, everyone came to the conclusion that Eli is a special snowflake and he doesn't have to respect anyone at all and can throw temper tantrums or be paranoid to the borderline point of stalking because he is a hormonal teenage boy. ARE YOU KIDDING ME DEGRASSI???
Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Sadly, everyone came to the conclusion that Eli is a special snowflake and he doesn't have to respect anyone at all and can throw temper tantrums or be paranoid to the borderline point of stalking because he is a hormonal teenage boy. ARE YOU KIDDING ME DEGRASSI???
Exactly! I am so frustrated with how bad this character is and how little effort the writers seem to put in to change that. Also, I maintain that his bipolar diagnosis is not consistent with his behavior at all based on my experiences with bipolar people. I know I'm at all qualified to make that judgment, but I'm going to anyway! So yeah, I think that Eli's terrible parents made up a diagnosis to absolve themselves of any responsibility for his horrible behavior.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread