Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2015, 07:15 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsD (View Post)
Yep.

It won't even be that long since their bamf grandson comes rolling in.
There's so many kid flashes that it confuses me, and to think that I used to get brain farts at all the robins in cartoons!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Elsa (View Post)
Oh pls, I never denied this. Shipping is the last thing on my mind when I even watch the show, so I'm not putting them down in favor of another one, I'm just saying, despite what we see right now, what's "meant to be" could always change in a year or two, regardless of what writers are saying right now. After watching arrow I wouldn't doubt anything.
Well...I don't think they can change who is "meant to be" on Flash much less than they could with Arrow or even a Superman story because much of what happens in the future - like with future speedsters - depends on them. Which doesn't mean they can't pursue other relationships until the final season, although it doesn't SEEM that's what they have in mind. But I'm less concerned about where the story goes in two seasons then I am in them addressing things they've set up right now.

I don't mind Barry pining over Iris, but there is a big problem for me still in how unequal the point of views are and how little we get where Iris is coming from. Saying she's in denial will only go so far before one is left wondering how much denial a person can be in. And the problem also is that, since they haven't given Iris a friend to talk to, when someone like her dad asks how she feels about the men in her life, of course she's not doing to be as honest about her doubts as she might otherwise be, given his position in the situation. So we have to interpret her awkward pauses as opposed to having a scene where she's like, "Well, okay, yes, I've wondered about a potential relationship with Barry. How could I not? But the thing is, I was with Eddie before all of that and I DO care about him. I don't know if I see forever with him; I don't know that I don't. But I was with him before Barry decided to finally tell me the truth about his feelings, so I think I owe it to Eddie to at least try as hard as I can to put Barry's confession out of my mind and give our relationship a real shot. Then, if it works out or it doesn't, it'll be on the relationship's own merits and not because my best friend decided to tell me he's in love with me right at that moment."

It bothers me that they gave us her speech in 15 and seem to think that's enough when they didn't really SHOW us those emotions she said she had and they don't continue to touch base on HER side of the equation so we can not just know (or interpret on our own) where she is in this mess but feel for her as well.

They need to fix that. I love Iris, but I know several people who can't connect with her side of this story for this reason and there's no excuse for that.

As for Barry's sad face...okay, I do expect at least one longing look towards Iris at the wedding. But.

He could be worried about Ronnie although I think whatever happens to Ronnie to cause drama for Caitlin will come as a surprise to everyone.

I wonder if the finale is when he'll decide to go back and save his mom, since it seems like they might play with time travel before then but I don't remember there being a discussion of him doing so in any other episode. I had heard Flashpoint would start in ep 19 but from the description, I think that spoiler was wrong. But they will DO it, I'm sure, and a season finale cliffhanger seems the perfect time. In which case, even if he's determined to do it, I could see Barry being concerned about the consequences - since now he knows there will be some. So being pensive would make sense because he wants to save his mom but he's worried what the consequences might be.

Just a thought.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Just because Barry doesn't have access to Iris' body right now, he has to get another girl and have a pointless relationship meanwhile? Why? To bore us? That's screentime wasted when they could be building up characters and relationship that have larger arcs in the series.

And male protags are more interesting imo without constantly having women hanging on their arm (ie. Klaus Mikaelson and Walter White).

Also how is WA nonsensical?
Please, don't make this about me wanting Barry to have access to Iris's body. As I said in a previous post, I would love for Barry to accept Iris/Eddie and focus on other things.

The bottom line for me is I am not interested in seeing the previous dynamic. Having another woman or moving on will both do this for me. Barry being single and not pining or dating and not pining are both fine by me. And the girl doesn't have to bore us as long as they don't bring it to the forefront. I liked Oliver with McKenna.

I find WA nonsensical because the thing just doesn't make sense to me. I don't automatically hate the idea of someone pining while the object of their affection is with someone else since the girl in my avatar was engaged to another man in the damn finale of that show. And they are one of my OTPs. But I just don't like how the story is being told here.

As for WA, I found them cute at first and looked forward to them getting together. After 1.9, the development went south. Then they rushed it in ep 15. I liked ep but it wasn't enough. Ep 16 just made it more ridiculous to me with explanations that come from both sides of their mouths. And it became clear to me that everything is entirely plot-driven. I think the only thing epic about the story they are telling is all the lightning rod stuff from the comics. Everything else is either just okay or bad, in my opinion. Again, this is how I feel. I don't think anyone else has to feel that way.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade4813 (View Post)
Well...I don't think they can change who is "meant to be" on Flash much less than they could with Arrow or even a Superman story because much of what happens in the future - like with future speedsters - depends on them. Which doesn't mean they can't pursue other relationships until the final season, although it doesn't SEEM that's what they have in mind. But I'm less concerned about where the story goes in two seasons then I am in them addressing things they've set up right now.

I don't mind Barry pining over Iris, but there is a big problem for me still in how unequal the point of views are and how little we get where Iris is coming from. Saying she's in denial will only go so far before one is left wondering how much denial a person can be in. And the problem also is that, since they haven't given Iris a friend to talk to, when someone like her dad asks how she feels about the men in her life, of course she's not doing to be as honest about her doubts as she might otherwise be, given his position in the situation. So we have to interpret her awkward pauses as opposed to having a scene where she's like, "Well, okay, yes, I've wondered about a potential relationship with Barry. How could I not? But the thing is, I was with Eddie before all of that and I DO care about him. I don't know if I see forever with him; I don't know that I don't. But I was with him before Barry decided to finally tell me the truth about his feelings, so I think I owe it to Eddie to at least try as hard as I can to put Barry's confession out of my mind and give our relationship a real shot. Then, if it works out or it doesn't, it'll be on the relationship's own merits and not because my best friend decided to tell me he's in love with me right at that moment."

It bothers me that they gave us her speech in 15 and seem to think that's enough when they didn't really SHOW us those emotions she said she had and they don't continue to touch base on HER side of the equation so we can not just know (or interpret on our own) where she is in this mess but feel for her as well.

They need to fix that. I love Iris, but I know several people who can't connect with her side of this story for this reason and there's no excuse for that.

As for Barry's sad face...okay, I do expect at least one longing look towards Iris at the wedding. But.

He could be worried about Ronnie although I think whatever happens to Ronnie to cause drama for Caitlin will come as a surprise to everyone.

I wonder if the finale is when he'll decide to go back and save his mom, since it seems like they might play with time travel before then but I don't remember there being a discussion of him doing so in any other episode. I had heard Flashpoint would start in ep 19 but from the description, I think that spoiler was wrong. But they will DO it, I'm sure, and a season finale cliffhanger seems the perfect time. In which case, even if he's determined to do it, I could see Barry being concerned about the consequences - since now he knows there will be some. So being pensive would make sense because he wants to save his mom but he's worried what the consequences might be.

Just a thought.
Yes, I didn't consider the events of the future in my post since I'm a bit ignorant to the comics sometimes, for anything really, because I always assume they'll just loosely or thoroughly follow them whenever they want to, while still doing their own thing. I suppose that eventually we will get to see more of the Wests in the future.
Addicted Fan

Quote:
See I don't know much about the comics but I always assume that the shows will just do their own thing while loosely following them when they want to. I didn't even know she was an anchor since the season hasn't given me that impression so far, I'm sure that can change for me though.
Yeah, it's gonna take time since they haven't touched Iris' background yet. But Candice teased that it's coming in s2 and that's when we get her nephew Wally too.

Quote:
There's so many kid flashes that it confuses me, and to think that I used to get brain farts at all the robins in cartoons!
There are only 2 main kid Flashes (and both are generally way more loved than Barry lbr). First Wally West (Iris' nephew). Second Bart Allen, Iris/Barry's grandson.

But lol, yeah Robins get tricky. Especially since you have the next generation Batman thing in the mix, so it all gets jumbly. Dick Grayson is the only one I love though, since Nightwing gets hot.
Master Fan

What I find most annoying is the sense of entitlement in the idea that just because a pairing is comic canon it should remain so on the show.

IMO, on a TV show the writers should take more cue from the actors' chemistry onscreen rather than preconceived canon.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:27 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaijaChiqa (View Post)
Please, don't make this about me wanting Barry to have access to Iris's body. As I said in a previous post, I would love for Barry to accept Iris/Eddie and focus on other things.

The bottom line for me is I am not interested in seeing the previous dynamic. Having another woman or moving on will both do this for me. Barry being single and not pining or dating and not pining are both fine by me. And the girl doesn't have to bore us as long as they don't bring it to the forefront. I liked Oliver with McKenna.
But why does there need to be another girl?

Barry has such a crazy life, his entanglement with Iris is already pushing it. Why is should he have a boring pointless love arc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaijaChiqa (View Post)
As for WA, I found them cute at first and looked forward to them getting together. After 1.9, the development went south. Then they rushed it in ep 15. I liked ep but it wasn't enough. Ep 16 just made it more ridiculous to me with explanations that come from both sides of their mouths. And it became clear to me that everything is entirely plot-driven. I think the only thing epic about the story they are telling is all the lightning rod stuff from the comics. Everything else is either just okay or bad, in my opinion. Again, this is how I feel. I don't think anyone else has to feel that way.
I don't really think any of that makes them nonsensical. Their relationship is complicated, made more so by the fact that Barry is living a double life that has put a lot of distance between them. I mean, I understand why you wouldn't ship them, but I don't think there is anything completely incomprehensible about them.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:27 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade4813 (View Post)

Just a thought.
He's already phased through objects and I know Grant already said there's tons of time travelling in the finale but I wonder how much control he would have on his time traveling abilities by that point. I feel like it will be hard to believe that he'd be able to get that good in the span of like 7 episodes.

Carlos says that we'll get to see more of the tsunami timeline and I wonder if that's what will happen in the finale? Barry travelling there?

What I want (and I doubt we'll get) is the next season being the 2020 timeline. I think it would be interesting to see how it all came about and we'll still see Tom in the Wells role although it would be different. And perhaps there'd be another villain. Or if not the entire season, just one episode or something.

Quote:
But why does there need to be another girl?

Barry has such a crazy life, his entanglement with Iris is already pushing it. Why should he have a boring pointless love arc?

I don't really think any of that makes them nonsensical. Their relationship is complicated, made more so by the fact that Barry is living a double life that has put a lot of distance between them. I mean, I understand why you wouldn't ship them, but I don't think there is anything completely incomprehensible about them.

And that's fine. I understand and love complicated relationships and in fact, liked the idea of Barry/Iris getting more complicated and twisted but I find some of the stuff to be nonsense and don't agree with it being "true love." But I know the show is definitely selling it as such and some people love it. It just doesn't work for me. I don't want to get down to specifics because I don't want to get into a long conversation about it.
The Lord is my shepherd.

Last edited by Chiqa; 04-03-2015 at 07:35 AM
Old 04-03-2015, 07:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
LeeLa I think your Kevin Hart gif has to get edited out

Oh pls, I never denied this. Shipping is the last thing on my mind when I even watch the show, so I'm not putting them down in favor of another one, I'm just saying, despite what we see right now, what's "meant to be" could always change in a year or two, regardless of what writers are saying right now. After watching arrow I wouldn't doubt anything.
Except you need barry/iris for actual future plotlines unlike with other shows. It's just tiresome people from fandom to fandom get all worked up and argue over ships and act like that's not what its about. Or worse they act like the way a story starts isn't how its going to end when the majority of the time that is exactly how it plays out.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:29 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Yeah, it's gonna take time since they haven't touched Iris' background yet. But Candice teased that it's coming in s2 and that's when we get her nephew Wally too.

There are only 2 main kid Flashes (and both are generally way more loved than Barry lbr). First Wally West (Iris' nephew). Second Bart Allen, Iris/Barry's grandson.

But lol, yeah Robins get tricky. Especially since you have the next generation Batman thing in the mix, so it all gets jumbly. Dick Grayson is the only one I love though, since Nightwing gets hot.
Iris has a nephew, so wait she has a sibling then right?

I'm not familiar with who's more well loved or not in the series lol, I didn't watch YJ but I loved the flash in JL/JLU. It's actually the reverses that get tricky for me. I still don't even know who the Robins were in TT and YJ, it was easier for B:TAS since there was only two of them, and yes, nightwing isn't he going to be in Titans?
Old 04-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by eragon194 (View Post)
What I find most annoying is the sense of entitlement in the idea that just because a pairing is comic canon it should remain so on the show.

IMO, on a TV show the writers should take more cue from the actors' chemistry onscreen rather than preconceived canon.
But Westallen has loads of onscreen chemistry so that argument is a wash imo. It's also something touted whenever people dislike the central pairing. No one should be expected to like it but its super annoying when people bitch about it 24/7
Old 04-03-2015, 07:36 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
Except you need barry/iris for actual future plotlines unlike with other shows. It's just tiresome people from fandom to fandom get all worked up and argue over ships and act like that's not what its about. Or worse they act like the way a story starts isn't how its going to end when the majority of the time that is exactly how it plays out.
Anne already cleared it up for me so I get it, but don't associate me with the fandom, I never argue over ships for this show since I don't care for it at all and it is not the reason I'm watching, I don't see how my post suggested anything since I don't even have a problem with Iris/Barry.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Iris has a nephew, so wait she has a sibling then right?

I'm not familiar with who's more well loved or not in the series lol, I didn't watch YJ but I loved the flash in JL/JLU. It's actually the reverses that get tricky for me. I still don't even know who the Robins were in TT and YJ, it was easier for B:TAS since there was only two of them, and yes, nightwing isn't he going to be in Titans?
Him or Tim, I guess. YJ did a pretty good job separating them. s1 Dick, then in s2 he became Nighwing and Tim Drake the new Robin. The one that got confusing were Red Arrow/Speedy clone madness.

The Flash from JLU was Wally. I love him to bits. Barry is kinda of a bore, since he's the smart silent type. Wally and Bart are the fun ones.

And yeah, Iris should have a nephew named Wally. But they might age him up and make him her cousin.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Fan

Stop starting shipping wars Flora. Jeez
Old 04-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Anne already cleared it up for me so I get it, but don't associate me with the fandom, I never argue over ships for this show since I don't care for it at all and it is not the reason I'm watching, I don't see how my post suggested anything since I don't even have a problem with Iris/Barry.
I was responding to your response to me. My original post wasn't even directed at you but other posters. It takes me longer to respond to you due to the time difference.