Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Fan

SDs #630 Because There Is Always Something To Talk About

Title courtesy of ut-roswellfanaka Pink And White Cookies. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thread #629

As we reach thread 630+, I guess we have proven that we had lots and lots to talk about! Think about it!

630 threads
250 posts per thread
------
157,500 posts

Assuming an average # of 100 words per post (an estimate that is probably WAY under the true average):

15,750,000 words!

Gosh, when you realize that we had tons of threads that disappeared half way through (remember Carrie?) and that we didn’t start counting threads until a few months into the process (and those were some of our busiest days too!), and that some of us are just a bit more …. wordy than others (not naming any names, of course, but we all know who we are! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ), it is probably a lot lot more than that.

One thing I will say. Few of those posts were just “Hello, everyone” and then off. They had something significant to say. They included some of the best rants (my favorites, I will admit), great poetry, music, jokes, stories, and commiserations. It was great reading. I find myself wishing that I had some of those old threads back to read again. Well, we did save two of them for the Dreamer’s book, so I have some – and I love to read them. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Questions of the thread:

1) Is there something still to talk about? Share it with us!

About this Thread:

SD means Spoiled Dreamers. We spent our life on the Spoiler's Board until there was no more need for Spoilers. Those of us who read spoilers (and many of us do so for other shows too) call it .... "Turning to the dark side" because reading spoilers is a true roller coaster ride of highs and lows.

Yes! We are believers in the M/L with whom we fell in love in S1. We make NO excuses for the Max of the last six episodes of S2 on. We did NOT like Liz the doormat nor Max/Liz the armed robbers of S3. We tend to believe the PTB of Roswell lost their way, but we remember the TRUE characters - and we still enjoy and discuss them.

We also love to speculate and to discuss all things Roswell - the good, the bad, and the who-the-heck knows? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] We are critics as well as viewers. We discussed chads before they showed up on our TV, we discussed the characters and the mythology the same way, we critiqued episodes as to their production, acting, and directing. We have a long history of learned discussion and criticisms on those and all other aspects of Roswell. We still consider the question "How did a show so magical and beloved go so wrong?" to be unanswered.

We believe that The romance of Max and Liz was the heart of Roswell. If you are not a supporter of S1 M/L, you are on the wrong thread. We do not pretend Max wasn't a poop from late S2 on, nor that Liz wasn't a doormat in early S3. But other criticisms of them are not welcome.

Characters we generally like: Kyle, Alex, Jim, Michael, Maria, Jeff, Diane. We generally ignore/dislike/don't want or bother to discuss the others.

We generally like M/L poems, pics and animations of M/L. However, this is NOT a picture thread. Lots of our people have old computers and terrible connections, and there are other places they can find those.

One hard and fast rule! NO pics of anyone other than M/L on this thread.

Spoiled Dreamers - The HEART of FF
Old 01-23-2004, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Fan

ut-roswellfan It has been a long time ago so my memory is probably faded a bit, but one of my senior literature courses in college included a study of Frankenstein. As I recall, if you read the book, you will find that the only one who calls the creature a "monster" is Frankenstein himself, as he suffers the torment of realizing that he was trying to play God.

In fact, Frankenstein (who is the Doctor NOT the creature as I think the book calls him) chases the creature all over Europe trying to find him to kill him. As I remember, one passage has the creature talking to the writer as a very educated person, lamenting the doctors efforts to kill him. They were on a train, as I recall. Anyway, the interesting thing? Evidently, no one seeing the creature realized there was anything wrong with him at all.

It was the movies who added the scars and the horrible face, and inability to do more than moan and roar.

Frankenstein's conscience did the rest.

The story was a mirror of Mary Shelley's own life. She was living with Shelley even though he was a married man - and so, she was an outcast. Her father raised her to believe in free love and no rules and all that - and the minute she ran off with the married man, he disowned her completely. That was pretty much true for all their society. Anyway, you see the parallel. The father created this creature to have certain beliefs, and then upon the creature springing to life, he was horrified by what he himself wrought and tried to disown and evey destroy it.

I seem to remember that she died very young, and never reconciled with her father.

Anyone able to correct me on this? It has been 25 years, so I don't know how faithful my memory of it is.

Old 01-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Absolute Fan

Thanks for the new thread, Star [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Sure, I still have a lot to say. I think I’ll be ranting and raving about Roswell, the actors, JKrew, etal for a very long time. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Dawnie, how, oh how, did I forget to add KH to that stellar cast? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

p&w cookies, LMAO at your Timmy down the well comparison [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Star, I have never read Mary Shelley’s book and knew nothing about her personal life, so I had no idea that the ‘creature’ was a reflection of herself. That’s very interesting, and sad.

I have to say that my favorite Frankenstein movie is “Young Frankenstein” with Gene Wilder. I purchased the DVD and recently watched it. LMAO at how campy it was. Oh, sweet mystery of life, at last I have found you. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Absolute Fan

Ann sent me the following But did not tell me where it was from--

The cast and crew of hit sitcom Friends have been stunned by the arrest of two drug dealers on the program's set this week. The two men - Ricardo Jacob, 46, and Wilman Martinez, 33 - were seized at the Warner Bros. studios by Los Angeles police while shocked members of the Manhattan-set show looked on. According to reports, the two men stand accused of selling cocaine and marijuana to various employees of the company and were caught thanks to a two- month surveillance operation by officers. Sergeant William Barry says, "There are all sort of rumors that cast and crew of such shows as Friends and ER, as well as high-profile producers, were involved in this bust. However, I cannot confirm or name anyone that helped police with their enquiries and gave officers any leads that led to the arrests of these two suspects." At present, Friends stars Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Lisa Kudrow, Matthew Perry, Matt LeBlanc and David Schwimmer are filming the final episodes of the smash hit show.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:28 AM
Absolute Fan

WARNING POST CONTAINS DAYS OF OUR LIVES SPOILERS

Oh Star remember when you asked me if we knew who the killer was on Days of Our Lives??

ANSWER

DR.MARLENA EVANS
And no she is not posseessed totaly herself not Hattie or brainwased any other reasons we on the DOOL board were coming up with
She's aparently just gone loony tunes
Tony Dimera gets attacked (by a tiger) on Mondays show in the bloodiest episode ever shown on daytime.
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
And Victor is next

[ 01-23-2004: Message edited Magic ]

Old 01-23-2004, 12:04 PM
Passionate Fan

Just checking in briefly before chaos breaks out.

Star As voracious of a reader that I am--unfortunately I've never read the original book by Shelley. I believe you have the details of her life correct (I once taught school years ago and assigned research papers on authors. One student picked Shelley). There would be definite parallels between her life and the book.

I was basing my comparisons solely on the movies and Hollywood depictions. My bad. One of my favorite Frankenstein movies was "Young Frankenstein." The late Madeline Kahn was just hilarious. Of course Peter Boyle was limited to grunting and soft-shoeing to Puttin' on the Ritz.

So I'm definitely putting the original on my reading list. If the tv show can stick with a truer to the book adaptation, and if it is executed well, then it might be an intriguing show. I'll weigh in again when I have more information.

Thanks for giving me a heads up!
Old 01-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Fan

How hilarious! I was thinking of Young Frankenstein when I typed that. The creature was actually closer to YF's version than anyone else's! [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

It really was a classic movie. That Gene Wilder, Madeline Kahn, Peter Boyle,Marty Feldman and Cloris Leachman are all such fabulous comedic actors. And the cameo by Gene Hackman is hilarious!

Magic Marlena? Good grief! Of course, who would suspect her? She is still one of the most popular characters, right? And probably makes a lot of money, too, huh? Still, it sounds like they set it up so that she could "recover" from her illness which is causing her to do this, huh? Yikes.

About Friends - Whoa! You know, there is a rumor that certain actors on that show were into the cocaine scene big time, so I wouldn't be a bit surprised. Of course, they are big enough you have to know the studios will try to hide that if they can.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Absolute Fan

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 1:46 p.m. ET Jan. 23, 2004QUECHEE, Vt. - Bob Keeshan, known to generations of children as TV personality
Captain Kangaroo has died
Old 01-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Master Fan

Hi SD's
Thanks for the new thread. # 630 and counting . I guess we do have a lot of things to talk about [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Does anybody still hear ' here with me '? I hear it 2-3 times a week and wonder how TPTB can mess up a good show like Roswell .
Second page [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

[ 01-24-2004: Message edited navami ]
Old 01-24-2004, 09:30 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Magic:
<STRONG>WARNING POST CONTAINS DAYS OF OUR LIVES SPOILERS

Oh Star remember when you asked me if we knew who the killer was on Days of Our Lives??

ANSWER

DR.MARLENA EVANS
And no she is not posseessed totaly herself not Hattie or brainwased any other reasons we on the DOOL board were coming up with
She's aparently just gone loony tunes
Tony Dimera gets attacked (by a tiger) on Mondays show in the bloodiest episode ever shown on daytime.
[img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
And Victor is next

[ 01-23-2004: Message edited Magic ]</STRONG>
Pfft are you serious??? Are they finally dusting off the Queen of the Night Clones Stefano created years ago? Old, JR's writing sounds predictable as ever.

Now back to your regular Roswell discussion or something. [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-24-2004, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Fan

navami I rarely hear it anymore, but it always hurts my heart when I do. I am not as shocked as I once was. Besides waking me up about exactly what the term "hack" means and how aptly it applies to some people making big money in Hollywood and TV particularly, and yet, said people never seem to suffer any consequences, I now have had the experience of watching said hacks destroy show after show and blame the fans, the audience, the networks, etc. Anyone but themselves.

But it still hurts. [img]smilies/bawl.gif[/img]

labrat [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Hey, long time no see! How is life treating you?

Old 01-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Master Fan

Love Young Frankenstein. Classic. And love the Mary Shelley novel as well. And, in a weird way, loved the "monster" (certainly a character more to be pitied than his creator). Heck, I just love a whole lot of things right now.

Re: DooL. It is a ludicrous plot twist, but I've loathed Marlena since she accused Brady of trying to kill Belle (whom I also loathe--apparently I loathe more than I love in the realm of Days), so I'm not as annoyed as I might otherwise be.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Fan

Thief Of Love I will join you in your loathe of Marlena. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Seriously, my Mom liked her but I never have, for whatever reason. I was lucky that a good deal of the time I watched the show, she wasn't on it or wasn't in a major storyline! Mwahahahaha!

Old 01-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Dedicated Fan

I will raise your loathe of Marlena. What is being reported is that Corday wants DH to take a pay cut with her contract this summer which is supposed to add to the drama of what happens in the end to Marlena. Much like the timing of the devil story that was done.

S2M not much going on right now other than trying to stay warm.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:00 PM
Loyal Fan

I like the Frankenstein version of Kenneth Branaugh and Helena Bonham Carter. So they're making another version of somthing that has been revised over and over again.
Gosh Hollywood must be running out of fresh ideas. if they are not making another movie version of a book they are turning dead TV shows into a movie turning movie in to a TV show.
Gone are Orson Welles Citizen Cane movie or Humprey Bogart James Cagney or even,Federico Fellini Akira Kurusawa ones. Why did Stanley Kubrick has to die.
Well at least Martin Sorcese is still here. Ron Horward
is kicking. But still I miss the movie that made the "RoseBud" and "Here's to you To Kid" into a classic.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread