Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2004, 02:56 PM
Loyal Fan

Star, I'm glad you enjoyed the first part of Heroes - as you know I found it kind of boring. But the second part is not at all boring.

The episode with Carter's boyfriend was an odd one. It was good in that it wrapped up Daniel's story with the goauld Osiris (or his ex Sarah). I think their aim with Carter was to show her as a woman rather than a soldier - and it worked. She was funny and the episode was quite romantic. I know how you feel about love triangles and I agree but they had an uncomfortable but funny moment about her new boyfriend with Sam and Jack in an elevator which also reinforced the fact that they have feelings for each other that they can't act on.

In the end Sam got to tell the guy the truth - he saw Osiris glowing eyes and hand device and was wounded by her. Then he went back to Chicago or wherever he worked as a cop and has never been mentioned since. Odd. Since then they've definitely been playing with the Jack/Sam ship. I think they probably intend to end it with some kind of declaration - which doesn't bode well for one of the characters.

Think I'll start a Stargate thread in one of the other places we post Star - we seem to end up discussing it a lot [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] and some people here probably don't watch it at all.

Miles Kington
Old 02-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Part-Time Fan

Stargate sounds interesting, I must try to check it out. While nothing could ever replace "Roswell" I could sure use an interesting television show to fill the void a bit. Is Katims working on anything? I've been out of the loop awhile.

I am having cookies and milk and sitting in my new apartment that I just movied into In Miller's Falls, MA. It's out in the woods and really lovely. I have pre-ordered the DVD, and am shuffling in my seat awaiting it.

Everyone whose tapes have been worn out due to age and constant re-winding (especially certain...ehem,.. episodes)- please raise your hand.

[ 02-16-2004: Message edited dreammuffin ]
Old 02-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Obsessed Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

50 First Dates Soundtrack Lyrics

Artist: Mark McGrath of Sugar Ray (Psychedelic Furs) Lyrics
Song: Ghost In You Lyrics

A man in my shoes runs a light and
All the papers lied tonight
But falling over you
Is the news of the day
Angels fall like rain
And love (love, love)
Is all of heaven away

Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade
The ghost in you
She don't fade
Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade

A race is on, I'm on your side and
Here in you my engines die I'm
In a mood for you
Or running away
Stars come down in you
And love (love, love)
You can't give it away

Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade
The ghost in you
She don't fade
Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade

Don't you go
It makes no sense when
All your talk and supermen just
Take away the time
And get in the way
Ain't it just like rain?
And love (love, love)
Is only heaven away

Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade
The ghost in you
She don't fade

Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade
The ghost in you
She don't fade

Inside you
The time moves
And she don't fade
The ghost in you
She don't fade
Old 02-17-2004, 02:07 AM
Extreme Fan

Cuddle bear: I just saw that flick over the weekend. Pretty funny and charming. Good soundtrack as well.

Calico Cat: Surprise huh. You poor thing. Quick pop your tape of the Pilot episode into the vcr and hopefully that will wipe those icky memories of "Surprise" away. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Hope everyone had a great Day of Chocolate... or some still call it "Valentine's Day." Me? I am still recovering. The chocolate was.....splendid.

Bridget aka scotlore

"If sweet stories could buy pasta, you'd be very fat by now" ~ Eugenio, Chasing Liberty
Old 02-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Loyal Fan

Scotlore! Nice to see you stranger [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] You missed a whole bunch of Twee's wonderful chocolate pics over the Christmas period.

How's Hag Nature treating you these days?

Miles Kington
Old 02-17-2004, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Fan

Scotlore [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Nice to see you around and that you survived your favorite day. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

dreammuffin The DVD is probably better than nothing but from what I hear, almost every great song in an huge scene has been removed and replaced with essentially filler music. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Time for a new thread and title Suggestions would be appreciated. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Spoiled Dreamers - The HEART of FF
Old 02-17-2004, 08:04 AM
Master Fan

Hi Dreamers
It would be interesting to see how the changed songs for certain scenes look on the Roswell dvd. There was a small ad in the latest EWeekly about the dvd release.
I haven't seen the tapes or seen too many pics, so this was exciting.
I read about WB canceling Angel on the spoiler board. It was to be expected. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Thanks for the song CC. I can never hear (background music) songs / dialogs in the movies unless the characters are singing themselves [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[ 02-17-2004: Message edited navami ]
Old 02-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Passionate Fan

Thread suggestions?

#631-We're buying the DVD because S1 IS the only Season!

#631--We're like the energizer bunny-we go on & on & on...

#631--Because we have so many threads we're running out of titles [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 02-17-2004: Message edited pink & white cookies ]
Old 02-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Absolute Fan

Season One is finally here!!
(Too bad about the music)

Looks like they spent most of the music budget on getting "Here With Me" and had to replace most of the other music. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Master Fan

Thanks Magic !!
Amazon will mail S1 only next week . I better find out if I can get it sooner.
Title suggestion Season one is the only reason we are still here.
Ok, amazon has mailed it yesterday, but I will get it only next week. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ 02-17-2004: Message edited navami ]
Old 02-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Absolute Fan

From TV SHOWS on DVD
It's finally here!
by Gord Lacey (All reviews) 2/16/2004

Roswell, New Mexico - the supposed site of an alien crash in the 1950's. There have been tales of alien autopsies, sightings and dead aliens at the crash, but what if there were others that survived in stasis tubes? What if they were among us trying to live normal lives, but afraid they may be discovered?

Max, his sister Isabel and their friend Michael are those aliens. They stayed out of the spotlight while growing up, but when Max's crush, Liz, is shot he rushes to save her. Now everyone is asking questions about that night, and the three have the kind of attention they don't want. When confronted by Liz, Max confides in her that he's "not of this Earth," and soon enough Liz tells her friend Maria, and their other friend, Alex, finds out much later. The three aliens are trying to discover who they are and where they came from while avoiding Sheriff Valenti and the FBI.

Roswell is half sci-fi, half teen drama. Someone described it as a cross between My So-Called-Life and The X-Files, and it really is. I watched the first few seasons of the series when it debuted on The WB, but I didn't get around to watching the third season on UPN. Roswell has a huge, vocal fan base that not only saved the show from being cancelled by mailing Tabasco sauce to network executives, they've also been campaigning long and hard for a DVD release. The show has been ranked either first or second for most of the time our site has been around, so I'm quite pleased that Fox decided to release it on DVD.

Video

Roswell originally aired in a standard TV ratio (1.33:1), but the presentation on these DVDs is anamorphic widescreen 1.78:1. The show must have been shot with that ratio in mind because Fox releases the sets with the producer's vision intact. I must say that I like the widescreen format of the release because the show has a cinematic feel to it now. The prints are clean and free from dust and dirt, but some scenes contain a bit of grain. Chapters are set after the opening of the show, allowing the user to quickly skip over them. The discs lack a "play all" option - something that has become common on Fox releases.

Audio

Let's get something out of the way; most of the music has been changed. In an insert bundled with the set, Jason Katims does a wonderful job explaining why they had to change the music. Music licensing issues will plague many popular shows that relied on pop music for their soundtracks. Companies can either choose to replace the music or not release the set at all. Katims says that they kept most of the music for emotional scenes, like Max healing Liz, or the final scenes of the pilot, but a lot of it had to go.

In terms of the actual audio mix; it's better than I was expecting. When Fox first announced this title they told us it would be Dolby Surround, but the set actually contains a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix! Way to go Fox! The audio team did a nice job on the 5.1 mix as well; dialog is crystal clear, the score sounds great, and the rear speakers get a nice workout from the ambient sounds and directional effects. This sounds way better than anything you heard on TV. The episodes are subtitled in English, French and Spanish, as well as being closed captioned.

Extras - How we rate extras

Commentary Tracks
Each disc contains 1 episode with commentary. I especially like the tracks with David Nutter, or the two actors, Shiri Appleby (Liz) and Majandra Delfino (Maria).
Pilot - Executive producer/writer Jason Katims and executive producer/director David Nutter
Blood Brother - Executive producer/director David Nutter
The Balance - Co-executive producer/writer Thania St. John
Sexual Healing - Shiri Appleby (Liz) and Majandra Delfino (Maria)
Crazy - Shiri Appleby (Liz) and Majandra Delfino (Maria)
Destiny - Executive producer/writer Jason Katims and director Patrick Norris.

Deleted Scene (0:27)
A very short deleted scene from the pilot episode.

Area 51: Behind the Scenes of Roswell (30:00)
The cast and crew talk about the show, their characters, each other, the sets and the story. Features interviews with Jason Katims (executive producer/writer), David Nutter (executive producer/director), Jason Behr (Max Evans), William Sadler (Jim Valenti), Colin Hanks (Alex Whitman), Shiri Appleby (Liz Parker), Patrick Norris (director), Majandra Delfino (Maria DeLuca), Nick Wechsler (Kyle Valenti), Katherine Heigl (Isabel Evans), Brendan Fehr (Michael Guerin), Carol Trussel (producer) and Vincent Jefferds (production designer). Some of the interviews were done recently for the DVDs, and some were done while the show was still in production.

Roswell High: The Making of Roswell (10:16)
Laura Burns (editor) and Melinda Metz (author) talk about the series of books they created, and the differences between the books and the show.

Actor Audition: Emile de Ravin (3:58)
Emilie (Tess) has two audition scenes that can be seen here. "Tess and Max in the lab" (2:34) and "Tess and Isabel meet at lunch" (1:24).

"Save Yourself" by Sense Field - Music Video (3:23)
The music video for the song featured on the Roswell soundtrack.

Summary

It was nice to revisit Roswell on DVD. I found the Roswell High featurette revealing; I had no idea the show was based on a series of books (okay...I obviously don't watch the end credits). Some might dismiss Roswell as another teen-drama like Dawson's Creek, but I think it's a show that should appeal to fans of all ages. It was nice to see Jonathan Frakes (Commander Riker from Star Trek: The Next Generation) in a few guest appearances (he also served as an executive producer on the series). Buffy/Angel fans will also get a kick out of seeing Julie Benz as Kathleen Topolski.

Fans of the series will want to pick this set up, and keep your eyes open for the second season coming in the summer.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:12 PM
jjj
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Actor Audition: Emile de Ravin (3:58)
Emilie (Tess) has two audition scenes that can be seen here. "Tess and Max in the lab" (2:34) and "Tess and Isabel meet at lunch" (1:24).
Don't you have to wonder who thoght this would be of interest? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

jjj
Old 02-17-2004, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Fan

Thread #631

jjj I can't imagine, especially since all TPTB I heard of tried to deny having anything to do with her hiring since she was since a disaster. Maybe they thought it was good for laughs?

Spoiled Dreamers - The HEART of FF
Closed Thread   Post New Thread