Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thief Of Love (View Post)
Oh, dude, really? I LOVE Frankenstein; it's deemed a literary classic and has a prominent role in critical study for a reason. Dracula, on the other hand (which I read just before or just after I first read the other, uh...back in 2002), didn't do much for me. I just found the former fascinating from psychological and ethical perspectives, but particularly given an understanding of Mary Shelley's personal situation at the time of writing and the likely basis for her desire to write about a monstrous creation lost to its creator.
I felt the exact same way the first time I read it, believe me. I don't know, this time my experience just got dragged down by nitpicky things. Like the narrative device of the letter (I thought this was really well executed in Dracula) gets more than a little ridiculous when Walton is writing down Frankenstein's remembrance of the creature's remembrance of the wonderful family's words, with a monologue within a monologue within a monologue. It's just..wow, heh. And the nauseating descriptions of Elizabeth, or Frankenstein going on and on about how cool mountains are for the seventh time for no real reason...I mean, at least two of those problems are really conventions of the time (Elizabeth being extremely perfect and the detail for the sake of detail), but for some reason they got to me this time. As I said, I absolutely love the ideas in the novel, but some of the execution soured me.

Maybe I need to read it a third time and get back on the love train.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Obsessed Fan

Malcolm In The Middle: Season 6, Episode 7

Okay episode, Reese took advantage of Hal's sleepwalking, he was so stressed because his 20th marriage anniversary was coming and he had no idea for a present. That was the best SL, Malcolm learning how to not to play the guitar was okay, Dewey's election thing at school not interesting besides the ending, that was nice

Mistfits: Season 1, Episode 2

Not as good as the pilot, there was something missing, maybe the humor (though there were some funny moments), but it was a Nathan centric, he's a great character, it was just not what I had in mind for the 2nd episode, I wanted to see more of the crazy skills the 5 teens got. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Obsessed Fan

Friday Night Lights: Season 1, Episode 18

Good episode, but it was more quiet than usual or the preview made believe. Lyla visited Jason in his Rugby Camp, liked that. Julie went to a party at Tyra's, Tami hatd to take care of her mom after she had an accident, but she did, and she also talked to Tyra, that was really nice, cos Tyra was angry, cos Tami had forbidden Julie to talk to her. Buddy stayed at the Taylor's, they all were annoyed about that. Tim and the new neighbour and her son was a nice storyline and also Smash and Waverly was interesting.

Dexter: Season 4, Episode 2

There are only 12 episodes (I had 13 in mind, y'know, cable, but it were always 12 - only 10 left). It was a nice episode, a little bit better than the season opener, the whole story revolved around Dex trying to find the missing body, but as I then thought, he'd be stupid to drive the car tired to death with the body in his trunk - and that was the solution. But it was not bad, the rest is okay, the Trinity case is interesting, but John Lithgow had to look for a new victim, so no killing today. The relationship stuff between Angel+La Guerta or Quinn beeing corrupt or Deb or Rita and so on was not that interesting. The direction is right, but there's something missing, hope next episode concentrates on the case!

Last edited by ForVanAngel; 04-05-2011 at 02:22 PM
Old 04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
The 80s

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Oh my God...I didn't watch this...

YouTube - Meatloaf Freaks Out on Celebrity Apprentice FULL

*scared* Looking forward to it.
I don't watch Celebrity Apprentice, but I have seen the commercials of Meat Loaf and the whole deal. Funny, you'd think it would be Gary Busey going bat $#*! ballistic since he's pretty much nuts already. Lol.

Dexter

I don't have Showtime and I have never seen the show, but I got shivers down my spine just hearing about John Lithgow being a serial killer on the show. I LOVE John Lithgow.

Relive or discover the most magical decade. The 80s. www.fanforum.com/f129/
Old 04-05-2011, 02:46 PM
Master Fan

Busey is a loon like seriously I don't think anyone on the show understands what he is saying....this past episode he said something about someone being on top of a rainbow and goats or something I dont remember he is just an odd fello.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybgb (View Post)

Dexter

I don't have Showtime and I have never seen the show, but I got shivers down my spine just hearing about John Lithgow being a serial killer on the show. I LOVE John Lithgow.
Barry, I didn't always have Showtime...but got it just for Dexter. That's how much I love this show.

Quote:
Angel+La Guerta
Matt, what do you think of these two? I love Angel and can't stand La Guerta.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrybgb (View Post)
I don't watch Celebrity Apprentice, but I have seen the commercials of Meat Loaf and the whole deal. Funny, you'd think it would be Gary Busey going bat $#*! ballistic since he's pretty much nuts already. Lol.

Dexter

I can understand that, his character is really nice, like a grandpa nice, but secretly he's an evil killer.

Quote:
Barry, I didn't always have Showtime...but got it just for Dexter. That's how much I love this show.
That's why I bought me all the seasons on dvd. Betty, may I ask which other Showtime tv-shows you like/watch(ed)? Here's the list for you. I liked "Episodes", "Californication" was actually better than expected, after the pilot I was a bit distraught from all the sex and nudity, but it got better and nice to watch. "Weeds" I watched only for one season, was okay, but not enough for me.

Quote:
Matt, what do you think of these two? I love Angel and can't stand La Guerta.
I like both. That's really it, not necessarily together, I'm not a fan of that "affair", for me, La Guerta has been the more interesting character. I think the writers have to do something with the small(er) characters, so they give them some love stuff, or let them say stupid or sexist things like they do with Masuka from day one.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
That's why I bought me all the seasons on dvd. Betty, may I ask which other Showtime tv-shows you like/watch(ed)? Here's the list for you. I liked "Episodes", "Californication" was actually better than expected, after the pilot I was a bit distraught from all the sex and nudity, but it got better and nice to watch. "Weeds" I watched only for one season, was okay, but not enough for me.
I watched Californication...the first season because my sons were watching it and I could hear them hysterically laughing...so I had to see what was going on. Added to that was the fact that I've always been crazy about David Duchovny.
It is very raunchy...but hilarious. I haven't watched it since then though, because it does get to be a bit much at times, and my sons no longer live at home.

I watch Episodes and I have just started to watch Shameless..which is excellent.

Quote:
I like both. That's really it, not necessarily together, I'm not a fan of that "affair", for me, La Guerta has been the more interesting character.
I believe that it was last season that I grew to hate La Guerta. She may not bother you now, but I don't like how she treated Angel last season.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 04-05-2011 at 05:36 PM
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I watched Californication...the first season because my sons were watching it and I could hear them hysterically laughing...so I had to see what was going on. Added to that was the fact that I've always been crazy about David Duchovny.
It is very raunchy...but hilarious. I haven't watched it since then though, because it does get to be a bit much at times, and my sons no longer live at home.
I hope your sons are old enough to watch that show. I like DD, though I never really watched "X-Files", that's nothing I'm interested in. I was not sure if I should watch the 2nd season too, but I think I'll do, it's a short show (only 13x28 min.), so I can easily watch it between the other stuff. But I'm not in a hurry here, I'll watch it someday, the characters are just too interesting for me to stop.

Quote:
I watch Episodes and I have just started to watch Shameless..which is excellent.
Yeah, I wanted to watch Shameless, due to the cool William H. Macy, but it was too much for me this year, so maybe next year, or I'll check out the British version.

Quote:
I believe that it was last season that I grew to hate La Guerta. She may not bother you now, but I don't like how she treated Angel last season.
Yeah, in Season 4, she's having a secret affair with Angel. But I don't mind, I'm not that interested in the love stuff in "Dexter", of course there are tendencies, that she plays with Angel, controlling the relation ship, but I don't care.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForVanAngel (View Post)
I hope your sons are old enough to watch that show.
Oh yes, they're old enough. One of them is married.

Quote:
But I'm not in a hurry here, I'll watch it someday, the characters are just too interesting for me to stop.
The characters are definitely interesting.

Quote:
Yeah, I wanted to watch Shameless, due to the cool William H. Macy, but it was too much for me this year, so maybe next year, or I'll check out the British version.
Is William H. Macy in the British version? If not, you need to watch the American version....it's really really good.

Quote:
, of course there are tendencies, that she plays with Angel, controlling the relation ship, but I don't care.
These tendencies get a lot worse season 5.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl08 (View Post)
Busey is a loon like seriously I don't think anyone on the show understands what he is saying....this past episode he said something about someone being on top of a rainbow and goats or something I dont remember he is just an odd fello.
I think it's kinda sad that people put him on shows to basically make fun of him and see what kind of oddball outrageous behavior/comments they can get from him. He didn't start acting that way until after his motorcycle accident/head injury. Before that he seemed pretty normal.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Oh yes, they're old enough. One of them is married.
Then everything's super!

Quote:
The characters are definitely interesting.
Yes, though I don't like the bold guy, I hated him most of the time.

Quote:
Is William H. Macy in the British version? If not, you need to watch the American version....it's really really good.
Of course not, WHM is in the Showtime-version. Yeah, I'll try, one more thing on my never ending list.

Quote:
These tendencies get a lot worse season 5.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yes, though I don't like the bold guy, I hated him most of the time
I didn't like the bald guy either. His behavior was the raunchiest!

Quote:
Of course not, WHM is in the Showtime-version. Yeah, I'll try, one more thing on my never ending list.
You'll also like the actress who plays Fiona...just ask Alan.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
I didn't like the bald guy either. His behavior was the raunchiest!
Okay, bald. Bold is another thing. At least you understood what I meant. Raunchiest? Raunchiest!

Quote:
You'll also like the actress who plays Fiona...just ask Alan.

Hm, she looks very likable to me. And for some strange reasons, I could google her and find out what's her name, I just thought she was called Emma Rossum. I'm just great. :tongue:

Malcolm In The Middle: Season 6, Episode 8

Okay, where are the good episodes? Jamie was sooooooo annoying, what a devilish child, tried to kill Lois. Francis had to dig into his horrible childhood to find out what Lois did with him to make him a nice boy. The diveboard storyline was boring, except for the ending, poor stupid Reese.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Elite Fan

Her name is Emmy Rossum, and she is awesome. She is the reason I tuned in in the first place.