Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2021, 05:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200 (View Post)
I have to agree. S5/6 mostly sucked. I would’ve been fine with Coda being the ending.
I would have been satisfied with Coda being the ending too.

Seasons Five and Six really brought the show to a new low with almost every episode.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04-23-2021, 08:14 PM
Administrator

I went over to the Dawson's Creek board today because there was a recent picture of Josh Jackson and Sasha Alexander, and I found an old post that I made on the thread from 2007 where I posted about Dawson and Gretchen in pretty glowing terms, and it reminded me about how I used to love that show so much and how I used to love writing about it, but now I just like talking about how the show became such a pale echo of what it once was. In the scheme of things, Gretchen was just brought in as someone who had ties to both Dawson and Pacey and who could serve as a temporary love interest for Dawson before Dawson and Joey did their will they or won't they dance again, and once she was gone, they never made mention of her again. I also found it so glaringly obvious how they manufactured a backstory where Dawson had a crush on Gretchen long before Jen came along and long before he thought of Joey as anything more than a friend, so their whole relationship could be summed up in one word: contrived.

I also thought that Sasha Alexander, while being a beautiful and talented actress, looked much too old to be a 19 or 20 year old College Student, and although all the actors on the show were older than the characters they played, it was really obvious with her, because she didn't look like a girl, she looked like a woman.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04-23-2021, 08:25 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I also thought that Sasha Alexander, while being a beautiful and talented actress, looked much too old to be a 19 or 20 year old College Student, and although all the actors on the show were older than the characters they played, it was really obvious with her, because she didn't look like a girl, she looked like a woman.
I had the biggest crush on her during S4, but, I agree tho, she looked much older than 19 or 20. Like she could’ve been Gale’s younger sister and I’d buy it. It’s also pretty clear they only intended for Her and Dawson to just be some one season non important relationship.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I had the biggest crush on her during S4, but, I agree tho, she looked much older than 19 or 20. Like she could’ve been Gale’s younger sister and I’d buy it. It’s also pretty clear they only intended for Her and Dawson to just be some one season non important relationship.
I can understand your crush on her Eric, because she was really beautiful. I saw her in person when I went to Wilmington and saw an outdoor scene being filmed, and she was really friendly to everyone in between takes.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Unlike Dawson's Creek, Everwood was able to seamlessly go from featuring the teenage characters in High School to showing them in College. Dawson's Creek failed miserably doing that.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:09 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Did it ever annoy anyone that Pacey tells Joey in 301 that Dawson did the right thing and tells Dawson in 307 he did the right thing, but, throws it in Dawson’s face during Show Me Love that he pushed Pacey towards Joey?
It was so annoying. Pacey was trying to excuse the fact that he was a backstabbing terrible person. In real life Dawson dumps both Pacey and Joey and never looks back. This triangle was terrible but also, unrealistic.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I have to agree. S5/6 mostly sucked. I would’ve been fine with Coda being the ending.
It was the right time to end the series. You could tell during the last two seasons they were basically out of material.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:18 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Dawson was never allowed his own love interest independent of DJ... Jen was a temporary wedge not once but twice. Gretchen was connected to Pacey and a wedge temporary too. He dated an idiotic actress and that’s pretty much it. Yet Joey sailed away with Dawson’s best friend on a boat that should have been Andie’s. Talk about unfair.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
Dawson was never allowed his own love interest independent of DJ... Jen was a temporary wedge not once but twice. Gretchen was connected to Pacey and a wedge temporary too. He dated an idiotic actress and that’s pretty much it. Yet Joey sailed away with Dawson’s best friend on a boat that should have been Andie’s. Talk about unfair.
That's one thing I hated about Dawson's Creek. Dawson was never allowed to get over his feelings for Joey, and he only had a few temporary relationships after him and Joey broke up, but in the end, it always came back to Joey. Once Dawson fell in love with Joey, he never really fell out of love with Joey, even to the point of screening his vision of what they had together on his television show, and using their relationship as the central theme of two of his movies, and personally, I wish that he had been allowed to move beyond his feelings for Joey, and a lot of that was due to the way that the show focused on Joey and her IT, because God forbid that anyone get over Joey, or be truly happy with someone else. They even had Audrey tell Joey that she was “the kind of girl that guys never get over and that other girls get compared to.”

Old 04-24-2021, 08:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
That's one thing I hated about Dawson's Creek. Dawson was never allowed to get over his feelings for Joey, and he only had a few temporary relationships after him and Joey broke up, but in the end, it always came back to Joey. Once Dawson fell in love with Joey, he never really fell out of love with Joey, even to the point of screening his vision of what they had together on his television show, and using their relationship as the central theme of two of his movies, and personally, I wish that he had been allowed to move beyond his feelings for Joey, and a lot of that was due to the way that the show focused on Joey and her IT, because God forbid that anyone get over Joey, or be truly happy with someone else. They even had Audrey tell Joey that she was “the kind of girl that guys never get over and that other girls get compared to.”
What Audrey said to Joey was so nauseating. Yet, it was the central theme in the minds of the writers. From the moment DJ kiss in Decisions, poor Dawson had a spell on him he couldn’t break. He was all about Joey. Everything he did, personal life and career was focused on her. With his creative mind, why on earth were all of his projects growing up, in college, and as a professional mostly centered around her? Now, if he ended up with Joey, it would at least make some sense. This is another reason why the only option based on what the writing expressed, was for Dawson to end up with Joey. If he doesn’t end up with Joey he comes across as pathetic and sad if you think about it. The guy had a talent at such a young age and he basically spent his childhood, teenage years, young adulthood and even professional life focused on a girl and then a woman who, in the end, picked his best friend even though we never saw one sign of why they should have been together. So incredibly disappointing. As a viewer, I cannot even go back and watch S1. I can’t do it. Even though I understand if I started watching, it would bring back some magic of why I fell in love with the series in the first place. But I can’t go there knowing what happens in the later seasons and how the premise was ridiculed and destroyed. Everything was ruined.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:19 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Totally agree. Also Jen not being given any decent love interest besides her S5 thing with Dawson was also very sad.
Old 04-24-2021, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Totally agree. Also Jen not being given any decent love interest besides her S5 thing with Dawson was also very sad.
That's so true, and we saw in the Series Finale that the father of her baby had abandoned her. Any character who wasn't Joey Potter got the shaft on this show.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
What Audrey said to Joey was so nauseating. Yet, it was the central theme in the minds of the writers. From the moment DJ kiss in Decisions, poor Dawson had a spell on him he couldn’t break. He was all about Joey. Everything he did, personal life and career was focused on her. With his creative mind, why on earth were all of his projects growing up, in college, and as a professional mostly centered around her? Now, if he ended up with Joey, it would at least make some sense. This is another reason why the only option based on what the writing expressed, was for Dawson to end up with Joey. If he doesn’t end up with Joey he comes across as pathetic and sad if you think about it. The guy had a talent at such a young age and he basically spent his childhood, teenage years, young adulthood and even professional life focused on a girl and then a woman who, in the end, picked his best friend even though we never saw one sign of why they should have been together. So incredibly disappointing. As a viewer, I cannot even go back and watch S1. I can’t do it. Even though I understand if I started watching, it would bring back some magic of why I fell in love with the series in the first place. But I can’t go there knowing what happens in the later seasons and how the premise was ridiculed and destroyed. Everything was ruined.
I have Season One on DVD but I've never watched it and I never will watch for the exact same reasons as you.

Old 04-24-2021, 09:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I don't understand this either. It's like the writers were so obsessed with Joey they didn't want Jen to appear as if she had anything good in her life. I don't know if it was a Joey/Jen thing or Katie/Michelle thing in the eyes of the writers but it clearly was something.
Old 04-24-2021, 09:15 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
That's so true, and we saw in the Series Finale that the father of her baby had abandoned her. Any character who wasn't Joey Potter got the shaft on this show.
They had to stick the dagger slightly in even before ultimately killing off Jen.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread