Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2021, 05:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM01 (View Post)
I honestly think this was it. Or at least a significant reason for the ending. Shows often like to do series finales with something happening that the audience wouldn't expect. The 'wow' factor. Although I think most shows don't do this to a storyline that they had propped up for the entire premise of the series only to do a 'gotcha' moment right at the end but hey this is Dawson's Creek. That's the thanks they give to their audience (I'd say at least half when you include DJers, PAers, anti-PJers) who had stuck around for six years and basically indirectly financed their show due to their viewership.
Absolutely, but all they did in doing that was destroy the legacy of the show that they created. They were fools.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04-22-2021, 12:58 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Very well said. Another way that they could have temporarily broken them up is to have Andie come back healthy and more independent and not needing Pacey to be her "hero" anymore. They didn't have to take the route that they took with Andie, which truly was, as you said, one of the worst character assassination storylines that I've ever seen. They made Andie into a lying and cheating caricature of a character and they even had her cheat on her SAT's (which, given how smart she was, would be totally unnecessary) and lie about being sexually assaulted, and I'll never understand why they felt compelled to do that to such a wonderful character.
Then at the end of the season they felt the need to turn Dawson into some “villain” so Pacey could be the only choice in the S3 finale.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200 (View Post)
Then at the end of the season they felt the need to turn Dawson into some “villain” so Pacey could be the only choice in the S3 finale.
Exactly. Both Dawson and Andie's characters were purposely destroyed to facilitate a Pacey and Joey paring.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04-22-2021, 04:57 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I wonder if they understand how obvious they were. All of these destructive things in order to facilitate a PJ pairing. That tells you how wrong it was from the start.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Very well said. Another way that they could have temporarily broken them up is to have Andie come back healthy and more independent and not needing Pacey to be her "hero" anymore. They didn't have to take the route that they took with Andie, which truly was, as you said, one of the worst character assassination storylines that I've ever seen. They made Andie into a lying and cheating caricature of a character and they even had her cheat on her SAT's (which, given how smart she was, would be totally unnecessary) and lie about being sexually assaulted, and I'll never understand why they felt compelled to do that to such a wonderful character.
Oh gosh I completely forgot about all that. Such utter disservice to a great character.

I also like your idea about a storyline where we see Andie as an independent woman that finds happiness through herself and not Pacey. They made Pacey the centre of her entire arc which didn't need to be the case given that her character had so much potential i.e. her mental health issues, parental problems, trying to get into a good university etc. In the real world of writing tv show storylines, if one is creative enough they wouldn't need to taint the image of a character just to 'get them out of the way'. It's pretty clear to me that the only reason why they'd do this to Andie is to make Joey look better. This show had some kind of obsession with ensuring that Joey was seen as the best thing to ever happen to mankind. So they presented it as, why would Pacey stick around for a 'crazy', cheating girlfriend when there is this cute, innocent, and clever girl whom had no flaws. Classic Dawson's Creek propaganda. We saw the same thing happen when they made Dawson get competitive at the boat race and made it look like he was trying to harm Pacey and they also made him look like this desperate loser holding Joey against her will to be with him. Season 3 was difficult to get through.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Absolutely, but all they did in doing that was destroy the legacy of the show that they created. They were fools.
Yep. Just embarrassing.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:54 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
I wonder if they understand how obvious they were. All of these destructive things in order to facilitate a PJ pairing. That tells you how wrong it was from the start.
Like how dumb did they think the audience was? So many good things about the show were ruined just to get the PJ pairing. Well, it ruined the show in general but they had several chances to salvage the storylines which they unfortunately didn't take. Probably due to online fan pressure.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Like how dumb did they think the audience was? So many good things about the show were ruined just to get the PJ pairing. Well, it ruined the show in general but they had several chances to salvage the storylines which they unfortunately didn't take. Probably due to online fan pressure.
Yes, it seems that Stupin was unduly influenced by fan pressure so he deviated from the course that the show was supposed to take. What many people don't know is that Paul Stupin had originally approached Kevin Williamson to come up with a concept for a television show and they were co-executor producers of Dawson's Creek. The show was an autobiographical labor of love for Kevin Williamson and he based Dawson and Joey on him and his childhood friend Fanny Norwood, although in real life, unlike Joey secretly pining for Dawson, Kevin secretly pined for Fanny. Kevin Williamson called Dawson's Creek his one true love, yet he walked away from it after Season Two and he came back to it only to destroy the legacy that he create. I'll never understand it.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:48 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
They really insulted the audience. Yes, there were several chances to salvage the storylines and they still didn’t go there. They didn’t care about if the series made sense or their main audience who embraced Seasons 1-2. Instead, they figured it was more important to cater to a small but loud online shipper fandom. In history of watching TV, I have never witnessed another show deliberately trash quality and substance in favor of putting together a pairing that would ultimately destroy everything that was good about the series. That is exactly what the writers did with PJ on Dawson’s Creek.

I don’t believe for a second Kevin considered PJ ending up together. Stupin planted those thoughts inside his head. I doubt Kevin watched S3-S6 or much at all. Stupin knew that and probably made it seem like PJ were a viable option.

I was talking with someone last night about the show and I thought of Coda and this moment:

Quote:
Do you believe in magic? I never used to. I mean, how could I? 13, your mom dies. You hope against hope for magic, something to make it all better. It never comes, and, you know, you look to your father who's unable to overcome all of his tragic flaws. Well, no abracadabra there. And then there's Pacey. Well...any magic that was there, that ran out, didn't it? But, uh, then there's you. There's proof that someone out there is thinking of me... my friend who is with me always. It's pure magic. I guess this is pretty much just a long-winded way of saying that, um... I'm gonna miss you, Dawson
Joey is all but saying her situation with Pacey was over, for good, done. The way she words things there is stating that it always will go back to Dawson and Joey no matter what. This episode was also filmed knowing the series might end after the season. They wanted Dawson and Joey to reunite in case the show was wrapping up.

PJ was never an option. They ruined the series.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Well said Michelle and I completely agree.

Old 04-23-2021, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Well said Michelle and I completely agree.

I really wish the series would have been over after 4 Seasons. Sure, we wouldn't have gotten to see DJ together again romantically (minus the Series Finale) but it would have been better than Seasons 5/6 and that joke of an ending.
Old 04-23-2021, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I really wish the series would have been over after 4 Seasons. Sure, we wouldn't have gotten to see DJ together again romantically (minus the Series Finale) but it would have been better than Seasons 5/6 and that joke of an ending.
Unlike Dawson's Creek, Everwood was able to seamlessly go from featuring the teenage characters in High School to showing them in College. Dawson's Creek failed miserably doing that.

Old 04-23-2021, 03:28 PM
Extreme Fan

Did it ever annoy anyone that Pacey tells Joey in 301 that Dawson did the right thing and tells Dawson in 307 he did the right thing, but, throws it in Dawson’s face during Show Me Love that he pushed Pacey towards Joey?
Old 04-23-2021, 03:29 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:

I have to agree. S5/6 mostly sucked. I would’ve been fine with Coda being the ending.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200 (View Post)
Did it ever annoy anyone that Pacey tells Joey in 301 that Dawson did the right thing and tells Dawson in 307 he did the right thing, but, throws it in Dawson’s face during Show Me Love that he pushed Pacey towards Joey?
I know. What a hypocrite.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread