Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2021, 09:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I have Season One on DVD but I've never watched it and I never will watch for the exact same reasons as you.
I wonder if the writers even realize how many of us are out there who cannot watch the series again as a result of their carelessness and stupidity.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror (View Post)
I wonder if the writers even realize how many of us are out there who cannot watch the series again as a result of their carelessness and stupidity.
I'm sure that they don't care.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04-26-2021, 10:10 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I'm sure that they don't care.
True. They never even cared that the ratings went down once PJ materialized.

They probably regret killing off Jen since Michelle cannot participate in any potential revival.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Quote:
True. They never even cared that the ratings went down once PJ materialized.
Exactly.

Quote:
They probably regret killing off Jen since Michelle cannot participate in any potential revival.
I couldn't see Michelle Williams wanting to participate in any reunion movie or revival. She's a major star now and the producers and writers treated her badly when she was on the show.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 04-26-2021, 12:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Exactly.

I couldn't see Michelle Williams wanting to participate in any reunion movie or revival. She's a major star now and the producers and writers treated her badly when she was on the show.
I was actually shocked she attended the reunion. I would love for her to be asked (and somehow made her fit the story) and she said no.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:10 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Exactly.

I can’t see it either. Especially to come back just as some “ghost”
Old 04-26-2021, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I’ve always said the only way to clean up this mess is do a revival and we find out the series finale was pure fiction. It was all inside Dawson’s mind either a dream or movie. That way PJ never end up together and Jen lives. But it will never happen.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:13 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
What Audrey said to Joey was so nauseating. Yet, it was the central theme in the minds of the writers. From the moment DJ kiss in Decisions, poor Dawson had a spell on him he couldn’t break. He was all about Joey. Everything he did, personal life and career was focused on her. With his creative mind, why on earth were all of his projects growing up, in college, and as a professional mostly centered around her? Now, if he ended up with Joey, it would at least make some sense. This is another reason why the only option based on what the writing expressed, was for Dawson to end up with Joey. If he doesn’t end up with Joey he comes across as pathetic and sad if you think about it. The guy had a talent at such a young age and he basically spent his childhood, teenage years, young adulthood and even professional life focused on a girl and then a woman who, in the end, picked his best friend even though we never saw one sign of why they should have been together. So incredibly disappointing. As a viewer, I cannot even go back and watch S1. I can’t do it. Even though I understand if I started watching, it would bring back some magic of why I fell in love with the series in the first place. But I can’t go there knowing what happens in the later seasons and how the premise was ridiculed and destroyed. Everything was ruined.
I love the bolded part you've written here because I've had those thoughts in my mind but haven't quite been able to write them down so coherently as you have here.

This was ultimately the reason why I thought they belonged together. Dawson's whole arc was basically about Joey, whether it was his childhood, his university years, his professional career, family drama etc. All of it was in some way however the slightest, connected to Joey. So now for him to not end up with her, it basically made him look like this desperate loser. I don't like to use such words on him because he was one my favourites but given how the writers portrayed him throughout the series, demonstrating how much he selflessly loved Joey, how significant she was in his life, how he was still willing to take her back after all the heartache she put him through, the way they finished his arc had in the end ruined his character's dignity. Once the series finale finished and the credits started rolling, I was left with a feeling of pity for Dawson. Not in the poetic 'not everyone gets a happy ending so that's sad' kind of way, but rather in the 'I feel sorry for you' kind of way. After Joey had put the final dagger in his heart and rejected him once again, I wanted to jump into the screen and give him a hug and tell him it'll be ok. Then to make things worse, Dawson looks even more pathetic where he appears all cheery and smiling and seemingly content with keeping in touch with Joey and Pacey discussing his show with them. Yuck. Just absolutely s***ting on Dawson's character.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM01 (View Post)
I love the bolded part you've written here because I've had those thoughts in my mind but haven't quite been able to write them down so coherently as you have here.

This was ultimately the reason why I thought they belonged together. Dawson's whole arc was basically about Joey, whether it was his childhood, his university years, his professional career, family drama etc. All of it was in some way however the slightest, connected to Joey. So now for him to not end up with her, it basically made him look like this desperate loser. I don't like to use such words on him because he was one my favourites but given how the writers portrayed him throughout the series, demonstrating how much he selflessly loved Joey, how significant she was in his life, how he was still willing to take her back after all the heartache she put him through, the way they finished his arc had in the end ruined his character's dignity. Once the series finale finished and the credits started rolling, I was left with a feeling of pity for Dawson. Not in the poetic 'not everyone gets a happy ending so that's sad' kind of way, but rather in the 'I feel sorry for you' kind of way. After Joey had put the final dagger in his heart and rejected him once again, I wanted to jump into the screen and give him a hug and tell him it'll be ok. Then to make things worse, Dawson looks even more pathetic where he appears all cheery and smiling and seemingly content with keeping in touch with Joey and Pacey discussing his show with them. Yuck. Just absolutely s***ting on Dawson's character.
Well said, and that's all so true. From the moment we met Dawson, even when he was infatuated with Jen in Season One, Joey was the one he turned to, and as he said to her father, she was everything to him, so having her end up with Pacey really made no sense and like you and Michelle said, it made him look like a pathetic loser, which he wasn't at all. Dawson had become a successful television producer while Pacey was getting beat up by the husband of the married woman he was having an affair with, and yet Pacey ends up with Joey? That makes no sense at all. The entire premise of the show was the love that Dawson had for Joey but Williamson and Stupin destroyed the legacy of the show they created to try and be clever and "surprise the audience." They're the true pathetic losers in the scenario they created to end the show.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:31 PM
Extreme Fan

If you think about it they all were losers on that series except Joey. I also reject the thought that Pacey was a winner because he got Joey. In some ways he was the biggest loser.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL22 (View Post)
If you think about it they all were losers on that series except Joey. I also reject the thought that Pacey was a winner because he got Joey. In some ways he was the biggest loser.
That's true, and Joey herself was reduced to being a "prize" to be "won" by Dawson or Pacey.

Old 04-26-2021, 07:57 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
That's true, and Joey herself was reduced to being a "prize" to be "won" by Dawson or Pacey.
One of the many reasons I wish they would’ve just ended the series with Joey potter And The Capeside Redemption. I would’ve been okay with that as the ending.

Last edited by COOLCAT200; 04-26-2021 at 08:38 PM
Old 04-26-2021, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200 (View Post)
One of the many reasons I wish would’ve just ended the series with Joey potter And The Capeside Redemption. I would’ve been okay with that as the ending.
I would have been okay with that ending too.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:39 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
I would have been okay with that ending too.
I’m sure people would be in endless debate of who she ended up with in life, but, who cares, at least Jen would’ve been alive.
Old 04-27-2021, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200 (View Post)
I’m sure people would be in endless debate of who she ended up with in life, but, who cares, at least Jen would’ve been alive.
Exactly.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread