Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

The way things have been lately, I wouldn't be surprised if I get to see all the Trek movies on TV over thenext few months!! Every weekend they trot another one out, and on more than one channel like they are making the rounds with thme again. I sometimes have to laugh when I think about the fact the both actors playing the parents on 7th Heaven were in trek movies, albeit quite far apart. Last weekend I got to see Search for Spock, there goes Kirk's son. It's sad to think the man who played him is gone as well. As the years go on I guess I'll spend more time reviewing who of the ones I'm seeing are already dead.

I was never really that much of a trek movie person, but they have their place in the Trekkie annuls of my mind.

(Inconsistancy - the ship that was supposed to chase Kirk and co. in Search for Spock, had transwarp engines? They how come those weren't used by future starfleet ships? Voyager didn't have them, had to piggy back on the Borg transwarp conduits!! Am I wrong or did they selectively forget about those scenes when making further adventures?)
Old 06-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by Ne-fehr-ious

I was never really that much of a trek movie person, but they have their place in the Trekkie annuls of my mind.

I feel the same way.

Aren't inconsistancies an integral part of Trek?

I don't pay that much attention to technical details.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:59 PM
Master Fan

I liked Nemesis. It wasn't bad, just not as good as some of the other movies. Still good fun.

As for transwarp, as I recall earlier experiments with the Excelsior failed.

Besides, what does transwarp really mean? Warp speeds beyond what your standard warp drives can do? Then transwarp is always the next step no matter how much you improve.

Old 08-01-2004, 04:00 PM
Elite Fan

Khan has to be my favorite film. I liked the characterization they mixed with the plot. Nice battle scenes, and the ending with Kirk and Spock was well done. Nice extras on the DVD too.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:00 AM
Elite Fan

Several stations around here want to keep playing Star Trek 4, and, as good as it is, it is not something I want to watch three or four times in the same day. I don't know why they find one or two movies and play them to death.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Kelly - yes, Khan was a terrific villian. Ricardo Montalban played him to the hilt. I still can't watch the scene where he puts the eel thing in Chekov's ear.

Rob - 4, The Voyage Home? That one's been airing here a lot lately too. I watched part of it a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Elite Fan

If it (number 4) isn't playing on one channel, at least one other channel seems to have it.

In other news, I have finally seen Nemesis! I managed to find it on DVD for only 95 cents. That was too good a deal to pass up. I watched it, and I gotta say... It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Then again, I was expecting something totally horrific, based on everything I had heard about the movie. It went a bit too quickly for my taste. There was a lot that they could have explored in a bit more detail. Some of the things that they just "skimmed over," like Riker and Troi's wedding, were things that a lot of fans would have enjoyed seeing more of. Wil Wheaton is listed in the end credits, but is not seen in the movie, or even in any of the deleted scenes. Whoopi Goldberg is shown in the movie, but is not listed in the credits. Is it possible that they somehow got these two people/characters confused?

I dunno... I think this plot would have worked better as a mini-arc on the show, instead of as a feature movie.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

First Contact was my favorite, I'm only up to Season 5 of DS9 so I don't know who lived or died to make it to a movie...but I'd love to see Bashir and Garak on the big screen together.

Wesley Crusher was in the movie at the wedding next to his mum but he didn't speak...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:00 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Hey Dark omega zer0. First Contact was a decent movie.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Impatient
Some of the things that they just "skimmed over," like Riker and Troi's wedding, were things that a lot of fans would have enjoyed seeing more of. Wil Wheaton is listed in the end credits, but is not seen in the movie, or even in any of the deleted scenes.
Exactly, I think that's why a lot of people were disappointed in the movie. A lot of people were expecting to see more of the wedding. It would have been nice to see a bit of Wesley and find out what he was doing.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Total Fan

Nemesis wasn't a HORRIBLE movie, but it was definitely not shining jewel in the Star Trek franchise. I think it was a bad way to end of TNG's run, thus I think there should be a better movie to clue it up.

The themes that were partially explored in Nemesis were good, but they weren't indepth enough. Too much time was spent on the villian, when I think the villian should have been a catalyst to these themes and to the way it affects the crew mostly, and then just have a final confrontation at the end of the film, without making Shinzon the STAR of the movie!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:31 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan69
The themes that were partially explored in Nemesis were good, but they weren't indepth enough. Too much time was spent on the villian, when I think the villian should have been a catalyst to these themes and to the way it affects the crew mostly, and then just have a final confrontation at the end of the film, without making Shinzon the STAR of the movie!
Very well said!

I am gonna have to watch this movie again someday. I just never feel like watching it when I would be able to actually put the DVD in, and when I can't watch the DVD, then I want to see it.

In other news, though... They showed Insurrection on TV the other night. I hate watching commercials, though, so I dug out my talpe and watched it instead. I don't understand why is was received so poorly. I liked it better than First Contact. then again, i was never a big fan of the Borg. (Until Icheb, of course. there's an exception to every rule, right?)
Old 08-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Part-Time Fan

I haven't seen Insurrection since the theaters. When it was on the other day I just caught bits and pieces since I wanted to see the whole thing uncut and in widescreen. I'll have to rent it soon.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Total Fan

I throughly enjoyed Insurrection. I know most people deem it to be one of the worse TNG movies, but I thought it was the best. It's certainly one of the only ones I can watch from start to finish without scanning through! The only other Trek movies that I can do that with is II and IV.
Old 08-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Can't say that I've ever scanned through a Trek movie, but I don't watch them that often either. None of them have ever been 'must watch repeatedly' material for me. There's some movies that I love to watch again and again, the original Star Wars for example, but Trek movies just aren't in that category for me personally. I don't feel that the franchise ever transferred that well to feature length.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:10 AM
Total Fan

There are lots of Trek movies that I enjoy watching repeatedly. Insurrection is one of them, Nemesis definitely isn't one of them though
Closed Thread   Post New Thread