Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Quote:
Originally posted by ~EnterpriseGirl~:
The 3rd one has been on a lot, but I don't have time to watch or tape it.

Have you managed to watch it yet Sarah?
Old 02-21-2004, 06:54 PM
Loyal Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I forgot all about this thread. And I am the one who started the thread :emberrassed:

But what I wanted to ask is what happen to Geordi's eye "shield"? See, i saw Star Trek: First Contact for the first time sometime last week and I noticed he didn't have the shield over his eyes. Instead his eyes looked to be more inhanced and is able to detect the smallest object to far away.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

[img]smilies/look.gif[/img] Yeah, I thought that it was worth saving from oblivion.

I think there was a brief mention of some new surgical procedure that restored Geordi's sight. I'll try to remember to look for more detailed info in the morning.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Whoops, I forgot about that. I'll look now.
Quote:
In 2371 he received electronic ocular implants and discontinued use of the V.I.S.O.R. The implants provide the same function as the V.I.S.O.R., while giving him a more "normal" appearance, with less pain.
Found it here

Interesting article about the possibility of
A Star Trek Prequel Trilogy?

[ 03-27-2004: Message edited C h r i s ]
Old 03-28-2004, 01:08 PM
Total Fan

Heh, I just came over to post about the prequel idea too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I like the idea of scrapping Berman/Braga (mostly Braga), but a prequel doesn't work for me. If they're looking for a quick fix, smushing together The Next Generation/Deep Space Nine/Voyager together in a series of epic adventure in "present day" continuity would probably be more effective.

With the franchise struggling, they could adapt an existing book series; I'd recommend Star Trek: Invasion, by far the best Trek fiction I've ever come across. With 4 books (1 for each of TOS/TNG/DS9/Voyager and an epic timeline, it could be done with some creative editing into a pair/trilogy of movies filmed back-to-back(-to-back) (like The Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions). The passing of DeForest Kelley could be overcome by writing him out, and Data could be "replaced" by B-4.

Or, just throw out the entire original cast and merge the first volume into the rest of the casts. This reduces the star appeal, but saves more money...

This saves money on a script, while Berman/Braga can be entirely let go with Jonathan Frakes as the director/producer. Focusing the story a little bit more on characters instead of special effects cuts down the cost, as does filming them all in a row.

Considering that some of the prosthetics/SFX are already existing in archive and can be reused (i.e. the rendered Enterprise ships), a trilogy could probably be done for about $150 million (ST: Nemesis was done for $60m).

The thumbnails were just blown up for the larger images I could find, so I'd rather get something that looks decent here...

Here are the plot summaries:

Quote:
The ultimate Star Trek® saga, spanning four thrilling adventures!

Long ago, even before the days of myth and legend, our worlds belonged to them. Now, across time and space, comes a fury that will test every one of Starfleet's greatest heroes....

STAR TREK: FIRST STRIKE
Diane Carey

The Invasion begins when Captain Kirk receives a desperate plea for help from the Klingon Empire. A mysterious starship has invaded Klingon space, but the worst is yet to come as Kirk discovers that this ship is only the vanguard of a vast alien fleet intent on conquering the entire Alpha Quadrant!

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION®:THE SOLDIERS OF FEAR
Dean Wesley Smith & Kristine Kathryn Rusch

After a century of peace, the Furies return, more powerful than before. Now their arsenal includes a way to project incapacitating fear into the minds of their enemies. To defeat the enemy and save the Federation, Captain Picard and his crew must first conquer the darkest terrors of their unconscious minds!

STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE®: TIME'S ENEMY
L.A. Graf

Millennia ago, the Furies were first driven from the Alpha Quadrant, but what became of the enemy that drove them out? The answer may lie in a mysterious starship found frozen in an icy cloud of cometary debris. Now Captain Sisko must discover the secrets of the past to ensure the future of the Federation!

STAR TREK®: VOYAGER™: THE FINAL FURY
Dafydd ab Hugh

Far from the Federation, now under assault by the Furies, Captain Janeway discovers the very source of the Invasion itself. Now, at last, Voyager takes the battle to the enemy -- for the sake of a home they may never see again!

Collected at last...the bestselling Star Trek epic of all time!
[ 03-28-2004: Message edited Headhunter ]
Old 03-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Hey Headhunter! Nice to see you posting here. [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img] Thanks for bringing all that information.

As we've seen with Enterprise, it's hard to keep continuity with a prequel. I'm not sure what to think about the whole idea. The fact that they're even considering making more movies is a positive thing. Having never read any Trek books, I can't really offer an opinion on that. A new cast sounds like the way to go to me. That way you get around the aging of existing cast members and like you say, it would reduce production costs.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:10 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh, wow! Thanks Chris about the info and the site regarding Geordi and his Visor.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

You're quite welcome Val. Sorry that it took me so long to reply. It totally slipped my mind.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Elite Fan

Ok, I don't know anything about ST and I think I should try and see something.

Why?

I'm curious about the whole frenzy it causes within its dearest fans. I just wanted to ask. Where should I start?
Old 06-18-2004, 04:32 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Hi ROCKSTAR. I think that you'll find that we all have our personal preferences. The current series is 'Enterprise', you might as well start there. OF the past series, Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG) is probably my favourite.
Old 06-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Part-Time Fan

were here if u have ne questions rockstar...there is another thread called ask the star trek gurus...if u have ne questions or are confused with ne of the technobabble u hear in the eppisodes dont hesitate to ask

Reply: But you can't assimilate me...I'm Denny Crane
Old 06-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Whoops, this is the movie thread and I answered with tv series.

I like 'The Wrath of Khan' and 'The Voyage Home' which feature the original crew (Kirk, Spock, Scotty). If you'd like something more recent, try 'Insurrection' or 'First Contact'. I'd skip 'Nemesis', the newest one though.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ROCKSTAR
Ok, I don't know anything about ST and I think I should try and see something.

Why?

I'm curious about the whole frenzy it causes within its dearest fans. I just wanted to ask. Where should I start?
The current series, Enterprise, is the easiest place to start. You might also be able to catch Next Generation repeats - that's my favorite series as well as Chris'.

As far as movies, my favorite was Star Trek IV. I don't think that's a good place to start, though.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:18 AM
Elite Fan

I still haven't seen Nemesis, yet. I know everyone says it is crap, but I still want to see it. Even if only so that I can say I have seen it and agree with everyone else.

Oh, well... Maybe someday.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:14 AM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

If you're not expecting much, maybe you'll enjoy it. I was disappointed not to see a bit more of Troi and Rikers wedding. I was hoping to see Wesley too, but his cameo was cut.