Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013, 04:46 AM
Master Fan

Isaac/Allison - STOP.

Quote:
And seeing as my personal horror/nightmare known as VA movie is increasingly approaching Rose/Dimitri. These two are basically a more ~ angsty version of Harry/Ginny but have the same premise based on lust and hero worshiping. I wonder if writers nowdays seriously believe this concept is romantic and engaging or they're just trying to get on my nerves.
Hmm I've got to agree with you there. I could never quite get into them even though they were pushed as the main pairing. I disliked the student/mentor aspect a lot- they never felt like equals. I thought Dimitri was a pretty bland character and I never quite forgave him for **** shaming Rose in the 1st book.

Are you dreading the movie because of the cast/trailer or because you just didn't enjoy the books?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree347 (View Post)
Isaac/Allison - STOP.

Hmm I've got to agree with you there. I could never quite get into them even though they were pushed as the main pairing. I disliked the student/mentor aspect a lot- they never felt like equals. I thought Dimitri was a pretty bland character and I never quite forgave him for **** shaming Rose in the 1st book.

Are you dreading the movie because of the cast/trailer or because you just didn't enjoy the books?
I'll be frank I'm generally not quite fond of contemporary YA novels regardless of whether they are decently written or anguishingly cheesy like Twilight simply because the stories and characters in them don't affect or speak to me and as for VA Rose was the kind of heroine that represents some of my least favourite fictional tropes regarding female protagonists (an action girl establishing her liberation and strength through physical superiority and obnoxious attitude) hence why the series didn't end up being my cup of tea and the trailer seemed as though even the appealing factors related to them (i.e Rose/Lisa dynamic) are going to be sacrificed on behalf of suspense and the heavy focus on Rose/Dimitri in the promo struck me as rather off putting.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
I'll be frank I'm generally not quite fond of contemporary YA novels regardless of whether they are decently written or anguishingly cheesy like Twilight simply because the stories and characters in them don't affect or speak to me and as for VA Rose was the kind of heroine that represents some of my least favourite fictional tropes regarding female protagonists (an action girl establishing her liberation and strength through physical superiority and obnoxious attitude) hence why the series didn't end up being my cup of tea and the trailer seemed as though even the appealing factors related to them (i.e Rose/Lisa dynamic) are going to be sacrificed on behalf of suspense and the heavy focus on Rose/Dimitri in the promo struck me as rather off putting.
Ah yes she does seem to fit the "Strong Female Character" trope. :/

As for the movie, the director has said that Rose/Lissa are more of a focal point than romance. Hopefully he won't disappoint.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Elite Fan

I do generally like YA novels, but I have never read Vampire Academy, I'm seriously considering it though because Cameron Monaghan is cast in the movies.

Anyway back on topic:

Stiles/Lydia
Derek/Jennifer

My two least favorite parts of Teen Wolf.

"Its about who you fall in love with."

John Paul McQueen & Craig Dean

Old 08-20-2013, 07:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

Chuck/Blair
Spencer/Wren
George/Zoe
Brandon/Callie
Belle/Rumple

Me and my wild boy
-----and all of this wild joy
→ Jessica | creative dream
Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 AM
Master Fan

^ Oh I haaaaate Belle/Rumple. They are so unsettling to watch- he feels like her father- and Belle is just a prop for Rumple's character.

Quote:
I do generally like YA novels, but I have never read Vampire Academy, I'm seriously considering it though because Cameron Monaghan is cast in the movies.
You should read them Even if there are aspects I don't like... other characters and the mythology help make up for it. Better than most YA that's around, at least.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:25 AM
Master Fan

My OUaT hates:

Rumple/Belle
Hook/Emma
Charming/Snow.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:03 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree347 (View Post)
^ Oh I haaaaate Belle/Rumple. They are so unsettling to watch- he feels like her father
Lool ikr? I always get that vibe from them.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStewart4President (View Post)
Joey/Rachael Terrible idea. Not every character has to get with every other character! I wish shows would learn this. Sure, sometimes it works out like with Monica/Chandler (in my opinion) but other times just leave. the. friendship. alone! Besides the fact that Rachel had previously dated/been in love/was later with Ross. That kind of messing up a FRIENDS (ironically) dynamic? not cool show. Not to mention R/J had no chemistry! And it's like each character made the other more stupid while together. Great idea.

Here’s the thing about Joey and Rachel – why? I never, ever understood why this couple happened. There are other couples that I absolutely hate, but I understand why the writers went there (even if I don’t agree). But this one…I. Just. Don’t. Get. It. Did the writers think there was something there? Were they hoping for a love triangle with Ross? Was it just a new way to delay Ross and Rachel? Did the actors ask for this arc? Just why? And whatever it was that they were trying to do, the execution was just so bad (beyond the above mentioned lack of chemistry).

Beyond that, another problem was Ross and Rachel. Whether you loved RR, or you hated them, or liked them but grew to dislike them because of all the back and forth, no one can deny what we all knew to be true: they were always going to end up together in the end. And they were “the” couple of the show (sorry Mondler) and one of the most iconic parts of the show and 90s for that matter. So why would you put one of them with another of the friends? Again, did they really think that Joey/Rachel had a shot? If it had worked out were the writers really planning on ending the show with them? I can’t remember exactly what it was but it was clear that they always planned on going back to Ross and Rachel because they seemingly dropped J/R when they didn’t think there was going to be a season 10, picked it up when season 10 was on but ended it immediately because it was a shortened season. So why do it? Maybe it was a good maturing arc for Joey, but what did Rachel get out of it? They could have let Joey fall in love with someone else; it didn’t have to be Rachel. Why not Phoebe? There was a lot of interest in that pairing but we all figured there was no way they would pair up everyone but then they up and did Joey/Rachel!

Which leads me to the example of Mondler: you know why lightning struck twice for the writers with this pairing? Because they were so different than Ross and Rachel. Where RR were the on-again/off-again, will they/won’t they, dramatic couple of the show, Mondler was the exact opposite. Whereas Joey/Rachel was sort of a poor man’s Ross/Rachel. The story of RR goes: Ross likes Rachel but she doesn’t know it, then Rachel likes Ross but he doesn’t know it, then Rachel decides to tell Ross but he’s dating Julie. The story of JR goes: Joey likes Rachel but she doesn’t know it, then Rachel likes Joey but he doesn’t know it, then Rachel decides to tell Joey but he’s dating Charlie. Also the first date thing was too similar too.

I have so much more to say about how it tainted the Ross and Rachel have a baby together arc and ruined seasons 9 and 10 but I’ll just leave it at this: they sucked!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Loyal Fan

Bay/Ty

I don't know, they just really creep me out.

GL | SL | CB
Old 08-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Chuck and blair

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

Bill/Sookie.
Chuck/Blair.
Dan/Serena.
Lucas/Peyton.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Absolute Fan

Belle/Rumple.
Hook/Emma...just no I hate it so much. There's so much wrong there.
Peter/Lydia
Aiden/Lydia
Allison/Isaac
Derek/Stiles...no
GabbyTumblr & Twitter ღ Icon by me
Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

Riley/Buffy
My LJ
Old 08-20-2013, 10:06 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Buffy/Riley

Yes the most boring couple ever.

Xander/Buffy

He never got over his crush on Buffy.

Well really Xander/anyone

I still can't believe he cheated on Cordy with Willow.

That reminds me Willow/anyone

Maybe her and Xander deserve each other.

"To me, this is much more real. If these two crazy kids can make it work, it will be a lot more interesting than a kind of romance with obstacles thrown in." - Marti Noxon

Closed Thread   Post New Thread