Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Total Fan

The CW/Life - Nice job, CW. When the majority of your shows (even the top rated ones) are tanking in the ratings, you officially become an epic failure.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
also, is it just me, or was that scene where she saw him naked really weird and stupid? it was obviously supposed to be some 'hot, sexually tense' scene, but it was just ridiculous and laughable imo. the way he knew she was there, and purposely walked in naked like 'LOOK AT ME ELENA IM NAKED!! LOOK HOW BIG MY *** IS'
Not only was it stupid, it was contrived and counter-productive; that's the sort of scene writers create to either showcase or force chemistry between actors (the guy falling on top of the girl being their favorite) but it usually kills whatever chemistry mojo the actors have. The chemistry between Nina and Ian is the only thing that recommends DE at this point, and it hasn't been the same this season, imo

Quote:
Damon is by far the worst written character in the entire show and the idea of pairing him with Elena is absolutely ridiculous, especially because she does not even like him. Yes, she says "I like you now. Just the way you are." But then she admits she wants him to change! How does that one work?
And she said hilariously: "What does that say about me?" You have to give her that much: she at least recognizes how messed up it is. She's just pretending she and Damon are only friends and that she can domesticate him. Caroline may actually be on to something; Elena keeps doing things like the kitchen scene and letting Damon get physically closer than is actually necessary because she's convinced herself it only means more if she feels more for him than friendship, and she's of course trying to pretend she isn't attracted to him. But if she admits that, she has to admit her behavior is inappropriate for a number of reasons. Caroline was trying to get Elena to open her damn eyes and stop playing dumb. Goooooooooooooooood Caroline.

And it's like you, and IS, said: Elena doesn't like Damon. It's like they said, when they did that scene the idea was that Elena didn't think she'd have to deal with any fallout of what she said and did which is why she did it - she thought he'd die. Elena did not actually mean her line "I like you now, just the way you are." Because she doesn't. She doesn't like that he compels women to sleep with him, she doesn't like that he feeds on people, she doesn't like that he kills people, she doesn't like that he's a self-absorbed psycho. She's trying to make him nicer and harmless and we all know who the model is: Stefan. Even Damon knows it. Elena isn't growing closer to Damon, she's attaching herself to the person that makes her feel Stefan's loss the least.

Elena gets a lot of credit for an inhuman compassion that, tbh, I don't think actually exists. Not to say I think she hasn't genuinely felt compassion for people, but I think it's more complicated than that. Elena, imo, never got past Wickery Bridge; she has a guilt complex for putting her family on that bridge and for being the only one that survived. She wants forgiveness for it but she's not going to give it to herself. Since then Elena's been awful quick to forgive other people for just about everything, so much so that her forgiveness is often meaningless. Or at least not about the person she's forgiving. That guilt complex has made her Mother Theresa, Patron Saint of Lost Causes and ****ups. You can try to kill her and she will hug you; that's not sweet, it's frighteningly borderline suicidal. Elena puts other people feeling better over her own safety, and by extension the safety of others. She really should have gone into therapy after the accident, to learn to stop blaming herself and how to channel her feelings in a healthy way.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Master Fan

Exactly, Betty And I also loved Caroline telling Elena that she's never going to change Damon. Someone needed to say it. Elena wants Damon to change so he can either fit into her idea of a good person she can friends with or because she doesn't like to be attracted to a psycopath. Either way, it makes it clear how doomed DE are.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Carrie Underwood

DAN & BLAIR!!! - that's all I have to say

Aaron Tveit is Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
OTH is ridiculous and got more and more ridiculous each season. I admit, there are some aspects of this show that I enjoy (LP and NH are one of them), but in general I watch it for lulz and definitelly don't have high expectations. I try not to watch any show with high expectations anymore, since it can lead to a huge disappointment like it happened when I watched Skins. I didn't and still don't invest too much in TVD and that is the only way for me to tolerate the way writers treat my characters and ships.
THIS. I only watch one show with high expectations these days and it hasn't disappointed me yet. The rest I just watch for enjoyment and even the ones that are always incredibly well written, I don't watch with high expectations. So I'm never actually disappointed, with the exception of Castle when Captain Montgomery was killed off in the S3 finale.

Last edited by nhlover4ever; 10-08-2011 at 12:33 PM
Old 10-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlover4ever (View Post)
THIS. I only watch one show with high expectations these days and it hasn't disappointed me yet. The rest I just watch for enjoyment and even the ones that are always incredibly well written, I don't watch with high expectations. So I'm never actually disappointed, with the exception of Castle when Captain Montgomery was killed off in the S3 finale.
I think all the modern shows except for Bones disappointed me and that's why I've learnt my lesson with not having high expectations so your heart won't be broken No I'm mostly trying to focus on what I like about a show and try my BEST to ignore the general ridiculousness of it (and it's a fact that most of the shows nowdays are ridiculous ). OTH I actually really enjoyed during season 1, it seemed realistic and relatable, but then of course writers needed to drag contrived plot twists, car crashes and psychos into there

Oh, and don't we forget that if at 22 you are not married/pregnant/having a long term relationship you are lost and your main purpose from there on should be finding a guy you can settle for. Brooke/Julian is a perfect example.

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 10-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Total Fan

^ S1-S3 of OTH were what I like to call 'the golden years.' S3 was the last quality season of the show and S4 was the last halfway decent one. Everything from S5 on has been a complete trainwreck. Most shows now are ridiculous, I agree. That's why I'm very selective now about what I watch. I've tried out a few new shows this season already and two of them were pretty disappointing. I usually give a new show a few episodes to gain its footing and if it hasn't hooked me by then, I'm out. That's really where I'm at with The Secret Circle right now and Pan Am's series premiere just really bored me.

OMG I know, it's so beyond ridiculous. According to OTH, that is the defining characteristic of whether you are happy and successful or not.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make A Wave (View Post)
DAN & BLAIR!!! - that's all I have to say
I can't with how contrived, forced and out of left field they are. It's both sad and laughable, t b q h.
â–‚â–‚â–‚â–‚â–‚â–‚â–‚â–‚â–‚
styles&tomlinson
Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
^ S1-S3 of OTH were what I like to call 'the golden years.' S3 was the last quality season of the show and S4 was the last halfway decent one. Everything from S5 on has been a complete trainwreck. Most shows now are ridiculous, I agree. That's why I'm very selective now about what I watch. I've tried out a few new shows this season already and two of them were pretty disappointing. I usually give a new show a few episodes to gain its footing and if it hasn't hooked me by then, I'm out. That's really where I'm at with The Secret Circle right now and Pan Am's series premiere just really bored me.

OMG I know, it's so beyond ridiculous. According to OTH, that is the defining characteristic of whether you are happy and successful or not.
I have issues with season 2-4 but at least they where watchable, though not even near as good as S1. However, I could enjoy it. Season 5 was the epitome of ridiculousness Writers didn't manage to make a believable transition into the adulthood of those characters and it looked so contrived, every single drama on S5 was contrived. Season 6 is just boring to no end. I only enjoy my couples having scenes in it, that's all.

And I totally get how you feel about shows you watch, because it's the same for me. Lower expectations save me from disappointment but they can't save me from falling asleep while watching some episodes of those shows Modern shows suffer from one serious flaw - being incredibly boring.

and to stay on topic:

Brooke/Julian
Mouth/Anyone

Old 10-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Extreme Fan

One Tree Hill is one of the biggest epic fails on television. It's honestly like the writers just smoke crack and think of how they can write some nonsense. I don't even think they take it seriously, so I don't. I stopped watching after season 3 but before that I didn't even think it was good I just watched it for Brooke and Haley at times really.

At this moment I'm hating...

Barney/Nora
Ted/Anyone till he grows up
Ted/Robin/and the fact that I'm actually having to put that after six years of knowin they don't end up together geez)

Dean/Castiel - Seriously. They are not, would not, never will be a couple. There isn't anything romantic there at all. Dean loves the ladies. He loves Cas as a friend nothing more!
Dean/Sam - I really wish I didn't have to put this. They are BROTHERS. Enough said.
Dean/Lisa - Just, where did that come from?
Jeff/Britta

Icon; immortalje
Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
It's honestly like the writers just smoke crack and think of how they can write some nonsense.
Sadly, but it seems to be how the most of modern shows are written

I never hated OTH, because I never had high expectations when watching it and I only get bored/annoyed sometimes. First seasons I actually found surprizingly enjoyable, but later seasons... oh, well. Psycho stalkers that you beat to hell, but they still keep screaming and attacking you even if you shoot in them is definitelly the epitome of good and realistic writing

Old 10-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
The CW/Life - Nice job, CW. When the majority of your shows (even the top rated ones) are tanking in the ratings, you officially become an epic failure.
I wish some shows were not on The CW. It's a shame really, because they have potential.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:

I never hated OTH, because I never had high expectations when watching it and I only get bored/annoyed sometimes. First seasons I actually found surprizingly enjoyable, but later seasons... oh, well. Psycho stalkers that you beat to hell, but they still keep screaming and attacking you even if you shoot in them is definitelly the epitome of good and realistic writing
The psychos, oh my, never has a show failed that bad. They took jumping the shark to a whole new level.

And the relationships were just not developed good at all. I mean I'm a BLer, and I think you are a LPer? In my opinion neither us could be very happy with how they were written most of the time.(you might disagree) But I just don't think the writers handled either couple well at all. I say I'm BLer yet I pretty much hate Lucas most of the time. The writers made him declare both Brooke and Peyton as the only one for him, the epic love of his throughout the show. Obviously people can love more than one person. But you can't change your mind about who you are destined with every five minutes, and be taken seriously.

And Nathan/Haley were a really cute and believable couple early season one. And I don't think there is anything wrong with getting married young, I mean I'm twenty and I'm getting married. But I hate that they made it seem like it was just about sex, it ruined a sweet story for me. And the storyline in season 2 made it blaringly obvious that they weren't ready to get married.

And every other couple was just terrible.

The only couple I properly loved as a couple, and as characters separately was Bevan/Skills (I don't I've spelt her name right :-S) and then they ruined her character didn't they? She ended up with that weird guy or something didn't she.
After that big speech she did, and showed you who she was, the writers completely forget it about it all and turn her into a joke again.

They managed to ruin every couple imo

Icon; immortalje
Old 10-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing-without-you (View Post)
The psychos, oh my, never has a show failed that bad. They took jumping the shark to a whole new level.

And the relationships were just not developed good at all. I mean I'm a BLer, and I think you are a LPer? In my opinion neither us could be very happy with how they were written most of the time.(you might disagree) But I just don't think the writers handled either couple well at all. I say I'm BLer yet I pretty much hate Lucas most of the time. The writers made him declare both Brooke and Peyton as the only one for him, the epic love of his throughout the show. Obviously people can love more than one person. But you can't change your mind about who you are destined with every five minutes, and be taken seriously.

And Nathan/Haley were a really cute and believable couple early season one. And I don't think there is anything wrong with getting married young, I mean I'm twenty and I'm getting married. But I hate that they made it seem like it was just about sex, it ruined a sweet story for me. And the storyline in season 2 made it blaringly obvious that they weren't ready to get married.

And every other couple was just terrible.

The only couple I properly loved as a couple, and as characters separately was Bevan/Skills (I don't I've spelt her name right :-S) and then they ruined her character didn't they? She ended up with that weird guy or something didn't she.
After that big speech she did, and showed you who she was, the writers completely forget it about it all and turn her into a joke again.

They managed to ruin every couple imo
I am LPer but I actually agree with you for the most part. Writers kept messing with both fangroups throwing bones for each of them at different points. Both couples had to face contrived and forced dramas (for the sake of BLP triangle that of course had to exist since every show HAS to have a love triangle and separately) that were completelly unnecessary. I just took it as it is with OTH, I knew what they were about and I was prepaired, that's why I tried to skip over the annoyance I felt about certain story-lines (especially in season 5) and enjoy my ships, because they pretty much ended up being the only reason I kept watching.

NH is also one of my ships but it's just insane how many unnecessary and contrived dramas/SL's they were put through. OTH is all about being over the top and while some aspects of this show and relationships between characters I can find relatable, most of it seems like a nonsense. I don't understand why it is still on air.

Btw, I loved Bevin/Skills too and I was very upset that they ended up being broken up in season 5 and Bevin ended up with Tim though in high school they had a little to no interactions

Old 10-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
I have issues with season 2-4 but at least they where watchable, though not even near as good as S1. However, I could enjoy it. Season 5 was the epitome of ridiculousness Writers didn't manage to make a believable transition into the adulthood of those characters and it looked so contrived, every single drama on S5 was contrived. Season 6 is just boring to no end. I only enjoy my couples having scenes in it, that's all.

And I totally get how you feel about shows you watch, because it's the same for me. Lower expectations save me from disappointment but they can't save me from falling asleep while watching some episodes of those shows Modern shows suffer from one serious flaw - being incredibly boring.

and to stay on topic:

Brooke/Julian
Mouth/Anyone
THIS.

Even though I haven't watched OTH since S7, this is what I think regarding Brooke/Julian. My main problems with them are as follows: a) considering they are shown having sex in like every other episode for the majority of the episode, they're pretty much just based on sexual attraction; b) they're so obviously trying to turn them into Nathan and Haley 2.0 by recycling Naley moments and using them as part of Brulian's history. Like WTF, seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing-without-you (View Post)
One Tree Hill is one of the biggest epic fails on television. It's honestly like the writers just smoke crack and think of how they can write some nonsense. I don't even think they take it seriously, so I don't. I stopped watching after season 3 but before that I didn't even think it was good I just watched it for Brooke and Haley at times really.
It really is and it is going to go down in television history as a complete joke. Sadly, that sounds about right actually. I stopped watching in season 7 and i can't even believe I actually thought this was a good show for 6 1/2 seasons.

Quote:

THIS. I never hated OTH until it basically became like the reincarnation of 7th Heaven. What I mean by that is Dawn Ostroff's decision to renew it year after year, even though it was tanking in the ratings and had turned into complete crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shereile (View Post)
I wish some shows were not on The CW. It's a shame really, because they have potential.
OMG, I say this all the time. My favorite show is on the CW and if it were on any other network, I couldn't tell you whether it would still be around or not. Because this crapfest of a network is so terrible, their standards are lower which allows them to keep shows that normally would have been cancelled by a major network. That being said, there are certain shows on the CW that deserve so much more than what they're being subjected to by being a part of it. So, it's almost like a double-edged sword that way. But more often than not, I wish Nikita and Ringer were on a better network.

Last edited by nhlover4ever; 10-08-2011 at 03:51 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread