Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Fan Forum Star

Spinner/Emma-I didnt really care for them as a couple as much as they just being friends.
My LJ
Old 10-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Master Fan

Damon/Elena -

'I wasn't the favored child.' 'My father didn't love me as much as my brother.' 'The girl I loved loved my brother more.' 'My brother made me turn into a vampire.' 'My girlfriend, who was supposed to be a dried up piece of jerky in a cave, was actually alive and creepy-stalking my brother because she is a lying liar from Liarsburg.' Cry me a river, bro. There is a point when reasons become excuses. Let's say a century is the cut off point, okay? Since millions of people manage to push past violent childhoods of rape, beatings, degradation, genocide, war, slavery, etc., within a few decades and while those traumatic events never leave them they don't allow those things to rule them, and they don't use them as excuses to ruin the lives of others. People learn to recognize their behavioral patterns, triggers, etc., and control them and learn to form healthy adult relationships. And Damon does know his (like the back of his hand, I suspect) he just doesn't really care; he enjoys the control and the security that control provides.

Am I being cold, uncompassionate? No. I pity Damon. I dislike Katherine for the way she treated him. I think what happened between him and Stefan was tragic, but not any one person's fault. (Which is not me saying Stefan is a saint; simply that if Damon was manipulated into feeding from that first girl and so can't be blamed then I find it hard to fault Stefan who, accidentally, was also in the grip of bloodlust. One tragedy created another.) Feeling sorry for someone doesn't mean you absolve them. "Damon's trying." Fine then, writers, but attempting to change isn't the same as having changed and it doesn't get a ****ing gold star. "I want to not be a murderer!" Uh.....that's very nice for you, Damon, and I hope that works out and all, but until then stay the hell away from Elena. "He wants to be hated!" Well then, he's doing a damn good job. Next? Damon is not a victim. Damon makes choices. Damon does crappy things because he can do crappy things and luckily enough for him there's always some reason just laying around that he can use to get himself off the hook. "Damon's feelings are intensified because he's a vampire." So were Rose's and she made it very clear in The Descent that ripping into people was not something she generally did. So are Caroline's and she's getting a freaking A+ in vampirism. So are Stefan's and he manages to control himself 99% of the time. So were Lexi's and I wouldn't have hesitated to sleep in the same room as her. It's not/wasn't easy for them; it was something they have/had to fight to control all the time. But they make/made the effort because you do not have the right to make your **** everyone else's.

Damon's relationships, all of them, are abusive and Damon is the abuser. Emotional manipulation? Check; people live in fear of Damon - hiding their weaknesses from him, worrying how he'll respond to changes - and altering their normal behavior to try to control his responses, which in turn makes them feel (to a degree) almost responsible for his actions (I should've done this differently, said it differently, gotten his permission first). Psychological/emotional abuse? Check; Damon particularly likes name-calling and badgering people for their perceived weaknesses. Physically abusive? Check; using women as blood bags, having sex with women after compelling them to not run away from him in fear (because he is a blood-sucking vampire, after all; this is their natural self-preservation instinct he's robbing them of) and to love him, snapping a young boy's neck, killing people out of sheer boredom or "emotional turmoil".

I understand perfectly: the tv series is based on novels about a love triangle, the show was pitched and sold as such, and now those two relationships are considered the backbone of the show so the writers feel the need to do the triangle no matter what. The problem is: there is a long goddamn way to go between Book!Damon and Show!Damon. B!D was no saint but he didn't do most of the things credited to S!D. So the triangle on the show, imo, does not feel organic. It's inherited from another group of characters that have a different history. The writers went too far with Damon. I refuse to ****ing romanticize it: all the horrible things Damon has done do not make their love more Epic. They are not on some Great Journey. Damon is not her partner in the Great Dance of Life, for ****'s sake KW/JP! He is her brother's murderer. Her friend's rapist. She has to walk a mile of eggshells every day just in case he's been drinking or, I dunno, had a bad dream about Katherine that night or some other dumb thing that will set him off.

Damon is a predator - on this show he is second only to Klaus in his willingness to kill others - and that whole stupid Lion and Lamb thing is best left to Twilight. There is nothing romantic or epic about the pairing.

I'M SUPPOSED TO WANT TO SEE THAT PLAY OUT? No, no, no, no, and no, also: GDIAF.

Pairing Damon with anyone or anything but a stake is wrong. But with Elena? It somehow manages to be worse than almost any potential pairing but perhaps Damon/Caroline and Damon/Andie.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Barney and Nora (HIMYM) No no no no no

Couples
GO BLUES Julie
Old 10-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Passionate Fan

Sean/Emma
Spinner/Emma
Craig/Manny
Craig/Ellie
Old 10-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlover4ever (View Post)
Owen/Alex - they haven't even met yet, so it's not like they have any romantic chemistry in the least. It's so overhyped at this point that I'm just sick and tired of hearing or reading about it. The only reason people want Alex and Owen together is so they don't 'come between Michael and Nikita.' As a hardcore Mikita fan myself, this makes me laugh since Alex and Owen have never been and never will be a threat to that relationship whatsoever.
This, this, THIS. I'm not trying to bring shippers into this, but that is literally - as literal as it gets - LITERALLY the ONLY reason these two would be getting together. The fact that Lyndsy has now (after the hype of twitterverse) brought it up to the writers has my stomach in sick, disgusted knots. I don't care if they meet, have some interaction, that's fine. But do it in a way that won't compromise the show and its characters (which the writers are usually good at, they know when to pull the reigns). Alex doesn't need to get together with every freaking guy on the show, LEAST of all Owen. He's got way too much to deal with right now, I don't care how much him and Alex might "have in common." It's such a cop-out ship it's r-i-d-i-cu-l-o-u-s!

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 10-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Total Fan

^ Exactly, couldn't have said it any better myself. Lyndsy started mentioning it towards the end of last season when people started shipping Owen/Alex, so I wasn't surprised she said that. But since she did say she's 'excited to see the Sean/Alex relationship develop,' I'm not really sure where she stands on the whole thing. She used to say positive things about Michael/Alex too in the beginning () and stopped that altogether towards the end of last season. I was trying not to bring shippers into it as per the rules, so I hope it didn't come off that way. It was just the only way I could think of to clearly explain why the Owen/Alex ship would be such an epic fail IMO. And I'm sorry, but reasons such as 'their matching blue eyes' and 'the butterfly parallel' and 'they'd be the hottest couple ever!' just don't make any sense to me. I equate them to the whole' Michael and Alex would be so cute together' reasoning for the Malex ship. They're not real reasons to want any of these characters in a relationship together. There has to be something more substantial there, an actual foundation for a relationship. And, there is none if you ask me. Plus if Michael and Owen's scenes together in last week's episode were any indication, Owen's still extremely hung up on Emily. The last thing on his mind right now is having a relationship with anyone, let alone Alex, someone he hasn't even met yet. Not to mention it's a little much to just hook Alex up with every male character that comes onto this show just to keep her away from Michael, when a) Michael/Alex were never a viable possibility in the first place, so there's no reason to even worry about that ever happening and b) Sean was brought on specifically as a love interest for Alex. She doesn't need another one. I mean, don't get me wrong. I am absolutely creeped out by the idea of Michael/Alex even though it will never happen. Everyone knows my hatred for that ship, but I'm not going to just ship Alex with every male character that joins the cast of Nikita because of it. I don't randomly ship characters, it has to make sense to me and Owen/Alex just don't. I'd rather Alex be single for a while than just have her hook up with every single male character who comes onto the show. Just saying...

Last edited by nhlover4ever; 10-08-2011 at 12:34 AM
Old 10-08-2011, 12:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sometimes I think she says what she thinks the fans want to hear. It's fine to want to please them, but I hope she doesn't prod this idea onto the writers (and have Devon "help" her) so that "Olex" actually does happen. What then, are they gonna kill off Sean too?

Quote:
I'm sorry, but reasons such as 'their matching blue eyes' and 'the butterfly parallel' and 'they'd be the hottest couple ever!' just don't make any sense to me.
Exactly. There is NO REAL BASIS for a relationship between them. Sure they've been used by Division, they've had a hellish past and still have some pretty dark stuff going on in their lives, but who DOESN'T that's dealt with Division? Nikita, Michael, Jaden, Thom, Birkhoff, Amanda, Percy...they all have their secrets and yet they can stand alone without having to hook up with someone else just because. (Mikita is a different story altogether).

I'm seriously dreading what might happen. Which is RIDICULOUS because nothing can in reality happen, to keep the show levelheaded and not jumping all over the place. If it does happen, they're probably going to become my most hated couple ever. EVER. And that's saying something, considering a lot of couples I only tend to dislike. So getting into my "HATE" category is big, and it's going to be a COLOSSAL mistake if it does play out to have them become a couple.

» Steve Rogers ♥ Natasha Romanoff
Old 10-08-2011, 04:19 AM
Master Fan

Adam/ Cassie
Adam/ Diana
Adam/ Faye
Nick/ Faye

Old 10-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Betty (View Post)
Damon/Elena -

'I wasn't the favored child.' 'My father didn't love me as much as my brother.' 'The girl I loved loved my brother more.' 'My brother made me turn into a vampire.' 'My girlfriend, who was supposed to be a dried up piece of jerky in a cave, was actually alive and creepy-stalking my brother because she is a lying liar from Liarsburg.' Cry me a river, bro. There is a point when reasons become excuses. Let's say a century is the cut off point, okay? Since millions of people manage to push past violent childhoods of rape, beatings, degradation, genocide, war, slavery, etc., within a few decades and while those traumatic events never leave them they don't allow those things to rule them, and they don't use them as excuses to ruin the lives of others. People learn to recognize their behavioral patterns, triggers, etc., and control them and learn to form healthy adult relationships. And Damon does know his (like the back of his hand, I suspect) he just doesn't really care; he enjoys the control and the security that control provides.

Am I being cold, uncompassionate? No. I pity Damon. I dislike Katherine for the way she treated him. I think what happened between him and Stefan was tragic, but not any one person's fault. (Which is not me saying Stefan is a saint; simply that if Damon was manipulated into feeding from that first girl and so can't be blamed then I find it hard to fault Stefan who, accidentally, was also in the grip of bloodlust. One tragedy created another.) Feeling sorry for someone doesn't mean you absolve them. "Damon's trying." Fine then, writers, but attempting to change isn't the same as having changed and it doesn't get a ****ing gold star. "I want to not be a murderer!" Uh.....that's very nice for you, Damon, and I hope that works out and all, but until then stay the hell away from Elena. "He wants to be hated!" Well then, he's doing a damn good job. Next? Damon is not a victim. Damon makes choices. Damon does crappy things because he can do crappy things and luckily enough for him there's always some reason just laying around that he can use to get himself off the hook. "Damon's feelings are intensified because he's a vampire." So were Rose's and she made it very clear in The Descent that ripping into people was not something she generally did. So are Caroline's and she's getting a freaking A+ in vampirism. So are Stefan's and he manages to control himself 99% of the time. So were Lexi's and I wouldn't have hesitated to sleep in the same room as her. It's not/wasn't easy for them; it was something they have/had to fight to control all the time. But they make/made the effort because you do not have the right to make your **** everyone else's.

Damon's relationships, all of them, are abusive and Damon is the abuser. Emotional manipulation? Check; people live in fear of Damon - hiding their weaknesses from him, worrying how he'll respond to changes - and altering their normal behavior to try to control his responses, which in turn makes them feel (to a degree) almost responsible for his actions (I should've done this differently, said it differently, gotten his permission first). Psychological/emotional abuse? Check; Damon particularly likes name-calling and badgering people for their perceived weaknesses. Physically abusive? Check; using women as blood bags, having sex with women after compelling them to not run away from him in fear (because he is a blood-sucking vampire, after all; this is their natural self-preservation instinct he's robbing them of) and to love him, snapping a young boy's neck, killing people out of sheer boredom or "emotional turmoil".

I understand perfectly: the tv series is based on novels about a love triangle, the show was pitched and sold as such, and now those two relationships are considered the backbone of the show so the writers feel the need to do the triangle no matter what. The problem is: there is a long goddamn way to go between Book!Damon and Show!Damon. B!D was no saint but he didn't do most of the things credited to S!D. So the triangle on the show, imo, does not feel organic. It's inherited from another group of characters that have a different history. The writers went too far with Damon. I refuse to ****ing romanticize it: all the horrible things Damon has done do not make their love more Epic. They are not on some Great Journey. Damon is not her partner in the Great Dance of Life, for ****'s sake KW/JP! He is her brother's murderer. Her friend's rapist. She has to walk a mile of eggshells every day just in case he's been drinking or, I dunno, had a bad dream about Katherine that night or some other dumb thing that will set him off.

Damon is a predator - on this show he is second only to Klaus in his willingness to kill others - and that whole stupid Lion and Lamb thing is best left to Twilight. There is nothing romantic or epic about the pairing.

Pairing Damon with anyone or anything but a stake is wrong. But with Elena? It somehow manages to be worse than almost any potential pairing but perhaps Damon/Caroline and Damon/Andie.
this whole post is flawless. the idea of damon/elena as a romantic pairing is gross and unhealthy in my eyes. i'm confused as to why so many people ship them.

also, is it just me, or was that scene where she saw him naked really weird and stupid? it was obviously supposed to be some 'hot, sexually tense' scene, but it was just ridiculous and laughable imo. the way he knew she was there, and purposely walked in naked like 'LOOK AT ME ELENA IM NAKED!! LOOK HOW BIG MY *** IS'
Old 10-08-2011, 07:20 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Damon/Elena -

As always, this post is flawless. Damon is by far the worst written character in the entire show and the idea of pairing him with Elena is absolutely ridiculous, especially because she does not even like him. Yes, she says "I like you now. Just the way you are." But then she admits she wants him to change! How does that one work?

Quote:
also, is it just me, or was that scene where she saw him naked really weird and stupid? it was obviously supposed to be some 'hot, sexually tense' scene, but it was just ridiculous and laughable imo. the way he knew she was there, and purposely walked in naked like 'LOOK AT ME ELENA IM NAKED!! LOOK HOW BIG MY *** IS'
It's not just you. That scene was a total joke When I first watched the previous Damon/Andie scene I was thinking, 'wow, is Damon actually growing?' But nope. The only reason he didn't compell Andie to get his champagne was because, like he admitted to Elena's face, he'd heard her coming in. That makes him a terrible brother, a lousy friend and a pathetic (non) human being. That single scene set up the standard for Damon's character this season.

So basically:

Damon/Life
Damon/Sucking the awesomeness out of every character
Damon/Being allowed anywhere near the gang
Old 10-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Elite Fan

Jack/Kate
Jack/Romance
Bill/Sookie
Bill/Romance
Cook/Effy
Cook/Romance
Harry/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Harry/Romance
Brooke/Lucas
Brooke/Romance
Angel/Buffy
Angel/Romance

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary ksand (View Post)
Jack/Kate
Jack/Romance
Bill/Sookie
Bill/Romance
Cook/Effy
Cook/Romance
Harry/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Harry/Romance
Brooke/Lucas
Brooke/Romance
Angel/Buffy
Angel/Romance
This is funny because I seems to have the same felling about all these people.

Damon♥Elena Oliver♥Felicity Rafael♥Jane Elijah♥Hayley
Old 10-08-2011, 07:54 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvetsen (View Post)
This is funny because I seems to have the same felling about all these people.
I think I hate those couples with passion, except Buffy/Angel that I used to like before season 3 (I still don't hate them, but I prefer Buffy/Spike all the way), but there is also a thing that I can't picture those characters in any relationship at all, especially Bill, Jack and Cook

icon: swanspirate@tumblr
Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Passionate Fan

Clark/Lois
Oliver/Suddenly Supporting Clois in S10

Monica/Richard
Frasier/Anyone but Roz
Sam/Not ending up with Diane
Arthur/Gwen
Morgana/Merlin
Jackie/Fez
Jackie/Anyone But Hyde
Hyde/Anyone but Jackie
Old 10-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamywriter19 (View Post)
That makes him a terrible brother, a lousy friend and a pathetic (non) human being. That single scene set up the standard for Damon's character this season.
he really is a lousy brother, which is a shame because stefan always seems to sacrifice so much for him, while damon never hesitates to try and hook up with elena, when he knows how much she means to stefan.

it's like cook/effy all over again.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread