Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

Anyone else going to watch the webcast tomorrow? Its on at noon here and that's not very convenient.

http://hpread.scholastic.com/

Hopefully there will be a video capture of it.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Moderator Manager

Very nice review of TCW from the Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/emily-...b_1948145.html

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Watching the webcast.

Is there anything better than have JKR read from here own books to you? The answer to that is "no".

Amazing.

Her favourite colour is PINK?

Loves sushi, cooking, baking, drawing, her husband's snoring

If she had to choose between her kids and writing she said she would choose her kids but she'd be VERY grumpy.

No matter where you are, if you got your favourite book with you, there's always a place where you can go and be safe.

ETA2: Huge and insightful interview with the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/14/bo...ook.html?_r=3&

Last edited by baileycat; 10-11-2012 at 05:31 PM
Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Moderator Manager

SnitchSeeker has the full transcript of JKR's webchat here. The video can be viewed here.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:07 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I finished the book and I LOVED it I wasn't expecting to love it this much but I did .

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

I know! I loved it too. Cried like a baby at the end but that's only because the characters were written so real you could feel the grief and connection to everyone.

My sister in-law is reading it now and I'm letter her decide if its appropriate for my 11 year old niece. I don't think it is because there's just too many adult situations that I don't think she's old enough to understand but I'm leaving that with her.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:37 AM
Moderator Manager

Oh yay, Sheida! I'm glad you loved it! It was very depressing for me but I how vivid she described everything and how real it seems. My sister is now reading the book.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Okay who watched JKR on the Daily Show last night?

OMG I love this woman!!!!!!!!

The extended interview is now up on The Comedy Network site. Go watch it now!
(Or Comedy Central for those not in Canada.)

JKR on CBS This morning yesterday.
http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-po...morning-91386/
Old 10-16-2012, 06:38 AM
Fan Forum Star

Okay who watched JKR on the Daily Show last night?

OMG I love this woman!!!!!!!!

The extended interview is now up on The Comedy Network site. Go watch it now!
(Or Comedy Central for those not in Canada.)

JKR on CBS This morning yesterday.
http://www.snitchseeker.com/harry-po...morning-91386/
Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 PM
Moderator Manager

The video for the Daily Show can be seen here. Must watch!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Last night at the reading and book signing at Lincoln center

Quote:
JK Rowling finished off her New York City tour to promote the release of The Casual Vacancy on Tuesday evening at the Koch Theater in Lincoln Center. Rowling discussed the themes of her book at length, including its darker aspects and notable villains and non-heroes throughout. The Harry Potter author commented here and there about her famous series, noting that she had boxes of old notes about the Wizarding World still lying around, and that one of her most prized possessions was the first notes she took about Harry.
Quote:
"I did feel the exact same powerful need to write the book, and need is the right word," Rowling said. "I think that I have had a very odd life and that I've moved through, economically speaking, I've been through virtually every variation you can have."

"It left me with me with an abiding, several abiding feelings about how we talk about the poor, how we discuss them, what it feels like to be poor, which can be a humiliating experience in ways well beyond those you may imagine if you've never been in that situation," Rowling said. "And all of that experience, though this is not a biography or memoir, could be used in this book."

"The biggest challenge wasn't, as many people suppose, 'you're writing in a contemporary world', 'you're writing in a real world', 'you haven't got magic to go to'," Rowling said. "No, and it sounds very dull, but the challenge was the structure of the book and I put a huge amount of work into that."

“People have sex in this book, but nobody really enjoys it. That’s the difference,” Rowling said of The Casual Vacancy, comparing it to 50 Shades of Grey.

The challenge was the structure of the book,” Rowling said. “I had a complicated diagram — arrows going in all directions.”

“Children are very familiar with fear,” Rowling said. “And children’s literature gives them a place to explore that.”

“There are a couple of scenes in the book that I dreaded writing,” said Rowling. “Dreaded writing. Which is how these things happen!” Rowling said. “That is the catastrophe in some people’s lives, to be powerless.”

“Discussing an idea before I’ve written it is the best way to kill it stone-dead,” she added.

“In an off-camera conversation with Jon Stewart about this... He asked, ‘when there are no limits, is it harder?’ It’s a vast canvas for grown-ups, where you have to find your own structure. It has its own cast-iron rules.”
SS.com

Last edited by baileycat; 10-17-2012 at 12:01 PM
Old 10-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Beautiful new shot

Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
"I did feel the exact same powerful need to write the book, and need is the right word," Rowling said. "I think that I have had a very odd life and that I've moved through, economically speaking, I've been through virtually every variation you can have."

"It left me with me with an abiding, several abiding feelings about how we talk about the poor, how we discuss them, what it feels like to be poor, which can be a humiliating experience in ways well beyond those you may imagine if you've never been in that situation," Rowling said. "And all of that experience, though this is not a biography or memoir, could be used in this book."

"The biggest challenge wasn't, as many people suppose, 'you're writing in a contemporary world', 'you're writing in a real world', 'you haven't got magic to go to'," Rowling said. "No, and it sounds very dull, but the challenge was the structure of the book and I put a huge amount of work into that."
SOURCE

Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Absolute Fan

Jo on the Daily Show!

And thanks for all this new stuff on Jo! I'm so glad to see her out and about again!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top