Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
A university’s £350 million fundraising campaign which attracted support from author JK Rowling has reached its target.

The £10m donated to the University of Edinburgh by the Harry Potter creator is being used to establish a new multiple sclerosis (MS) research clinic.

The facility, which is named after Rowling’s mother, Anne, and is due to open next year, will focus on developing treatments for MS and other degenerative neurological conditions.

The university’s fundraising drive was launched six years ago with the aim of furthering research, maintaining the buildings and providing financial aid for students. Support has also come from former students, funding councils, trusts and foundations, corporations, government and research charities.
University hits £350m target thanks to a little magic from JK Rowling - Health - Scotsman.com

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

I seriously think I would fangirl even harder than Lisa did if I ever met her.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
The Tales of Beedle the Bard is a collection of wizard fairly tales that was mentioned in Harry Potter and the Deatly Hallows. According to the press release, the book was released in hardback in 2008 and has raised large sums for Lumos, which is a foundation to benefit children living in large institutions. Rowling is the founder and Chair of Lumos.
J. K. Rowling Releases “Tales of Beedle the Bard” in Ebook Form to Benefit Charity, Lumos | Good E-Reader - ebook Reader and Digital Publishing News

Old 11-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

I finally got her new book yesterday, and I started reading it already.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Moderator Manager

Tell us how you find the book Catia. Let me warn you though, it's not a happy book.

Quote:
Lumos' founder, J.K. Rowling, on what Lumos does.

If you are worried about a child or children and think they might be at risk of harm, or think they may be victims of abuse or exploitation, report this immediately to your local police. If you are a child and you are worried about anything and would like to talk to someone please contact childline.org.uk.
J.K. Rowling: This is Lumos | Lumos

Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 AM
Fan Forum Star

Considering Jo hardly EVER tweets, this must be VERY important to her.

Quote:
@jk_rowling
#leveson Sign the Petition | Hacking inquiry – Hacked off - please take the time to sign if you agree
Old 12-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
J.K. Rowling stated she feels “duped and angry” at the prime minister’s reluctance to support a law for the press and published the following statement:

JK Rowling: I feel duped and angry at David Cameron's reaction to Leveson.

If the prime minister didn't want to implement the report, why were people like me asked to relive our painful experiences in public?

I am alarmed and dismayed that the prime minister appears to be backing away from assurances he made at the outset of the Leveson inquiry.

I thought long and hard about the possible consequences to my family of giving evidence and finally decided to do so because I have made every possible attempt to protect my children's privacy under the present system – and failed. If I, who can afford the very best lawyers, cannot guarantee the privacy of those dearest to me, what hope did the Dowlers, the McCnans and the Watsons ever have of protecting their own children and their own good names? Those who have suffered the worst, most painful and least justifiable kinds of mistreatment at the hands of the press, people who have become newsworthy because of the press's own errors or through unspeakable private tragedy, are those least likely to be able to defend themselves or to seek proper redress.

My understanding is that Lord Justice Leveson’s recommendations would give everybody, whatever their degree of celebrity or their bank balance, a quick, cheap and effective way of holding the press to account. They would also protect the press against frivolous complaints and reduce costly lawsuits. At the moment, only those of us who can afford the immensely expensive, time-consuming and stressful services of the legal system are able to take a stand against serious invasions of privacy, and even this offers little or no protection against the unjustified, insidious and often covert practices highlighted by the Leveson inquiry.

Without statutory underpinning Leveson's recommendations will not work: we will be left with yet another voluntary system from which the press can walk away. If the prime minister did not wish to change the regulatory system, even to the moderate, balanced and proportionate extent proposed by Lord Justice Leveson, I am at a loss to understand why so much public money has been spent and why so many people have been asked to relive extremely painful episodes on the stand in front of millions. Having taken David Cameron's assurances in good faith at the outset of the inquiry he set up, I am merely one among many who feel duped and angry in its wake.

I hope that those who share similar concerns will speak up now and sign the Hacked Off petition. Cameron said that he would implement sensible recommendations: it is time for him to honour that commitment and join the other political leaders by supporting the Leveson recommendations in their entirety."
I feel duped and angry at David Cameron's reaction to Leveson | JK Rowling | Comment is free | The Guardian

Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Casual Vacancy to be a BBC mini series!

Quote:
the Casual Vacancy, J.K. Rowling's latest novel, will be made into a miniseries for the BBC, it's been reported today. BBC One and BBC Drama have entered an exclusive adaptation deal; it wil be produced by an independent production company produced by J.K. Rowling's agent, Neil Blair (on behalf of his agency, The Blair Partnership) and Rick Senat.
JKR will "collaborate closely" with the project. The number and length of episodes has not yet been decided. It is expected to air in 2014.

JKR said of the adaptation:

"I always felt that, if it were to be adapted, this novel was best suited to television and I think the BBC is the perfect home."
source - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/jk-...-series-396696
Old 12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Master Fan

It's great!

valentina
tumblr twitter
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Moderator Manager

I will definitely watch it when it comes out soon. I'm going crazy thinking of who will play the characters. I do see Jessie Cave play at least one of the younger characters.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

TCV wins Amazon's Reader's Choice Award!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Moderator Manager

EL James, JK Rowling, Hilary Mantel … the women who dominated publishing in 2012 | Books | The Guardian

Old 12-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
JK Rowling's The Casual Vacancy has found an executive producer for the book's forthcoming TV adaptation.

It was announced last week that BBC One has commissioned a series based on the dark comedy novel, with transmission slated for 2014.

Paul Trijbits has left his executive's role at Ruby Film and Television to oversee production on The Casual Vacancy, according to Broadcast.

Trijbits - an experienced producer whose credits include Disney movie Saving Mr Banks and the TV adaptation of Nigel Slater's memoir Toast - said in a statement: "Opportunities like this rarely come along.

"The abundance of rich characters and Jo's razor-sharp insight into daily human struggles and triumphs make The Casual Vacancy such a treat to adapt and deliver to BBC One audiences and beyond."

Trijbits is first expected to commission a writer to adapt the best-selling novel for television, although Rowling will remain closely involved with the project.
'The Casual Vacancy': Producer named for JK Rowling TV adaptation - TV News - Digital Spy

Old 12-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 12-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

It's so awesome that her new book is gonna become a tv show! That's really cool.

And I really wish I had a PlayStation, Book of Spells looks so awesome.