Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 PM
Moderator Manager

That's what sets JKR apart from other authors I think, are her descriptions of the characters and you get sucked into their world instantly.

Here's a sort of "guide" to the characters for anyone who's confused...if you haven't read most of the book, these are spoilers:

http://www.hypable.com/2012/10/27/jk...adult-content/

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Supreme Fan

I hate to admit it, but I've set aside Casual Vacancy for now. I just wasn't feeling it, and I've learned not to try to force myself to read a book when I'm just not into it. I actually had the same problem with Harry Potter - I had tried to read it a couple times but just couldn't get into it, but then I saw the movie, tried the first book again, and couldn't put it down. I think it'll go better if I try going back to it later. Plus, my goal is to read 50 books this year, and I'm cutting it pretty close

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

How many books have you read so far?

TCV isn't an easy read by any means. Not alot of happy happens. So I can see how some would find it a challenge. Hopefully you can return to it when the pressure's off.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

I was waiting for the book to be out in my country (the translated version ), and it's finally coming out on November 22th. I can't wait to read it, I'm really curious about it.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Moderator Manager

I can't wait for you to read it, Catia.

And wow, Gabriela - 50 books! I assume you're more than halfway done with your goal already?

Old 10-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by free to fly (View Post)
I was waiting for the book to be out in my country (the translated version ), and it's finally coming out on November 22th. I can't wait to read it, I'm really curious about it.
Ooh - I hope the time goes quickly for you between now and then!

Yep, I'm at 41 right now! I've had a hankering to read the Anne of Green Gables series, so I'm doing that right now. But my plan is to go back to TCV after that series, which will finish up my 50 books, which would be kind of cool I'm really hoping that I get through the AoGG series quickly so I feel a bit more leisurely with TCV and not a lot of pressure to get it read fast.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 10-31-2012, 09:56 PM
Moderator Manager

That's a great and just a few more books to read too before the year ends!

Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I'm excited!

And I think it's not that I didn't like Casual Vacancy, I just wasn't feeling it right now. I really liked how much of the book I got into, but I've learned that if I'm just not into a book, I need to put it down and come back to it because trying to force myself to read it when my mind might just want to read something else won't be good.

I think part of me too is still waiting until JKR publishes the HP encyclopedia - I think once that is out, I'll be able to really feel like HP is wrapped up with a period at the end of the sentence, and then I can finally move on

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Moderator Manager

I've put down the book once too (RL beckons) but was able to get back into it eventually. It really depends on your mood at times.

I'm waiting for that as well - "new" stuff to discuss.

Quote:
"I mean this from my heart and soul, but I would rather spend the rest of my career writing books I love but others don't love so much than trying to repeat something I've already done."

“There are so many rules. One of mine is ‘Never have sex near unicorns’. There’s just something tacky about it. And that’s why although Harry had a bit of a snog, it didn’t go further than that!”

“The core of the idea was ‘local council election: teenagers sabotage it’. I told a couple of people, but if I had gone by the looks on their faces, the book would never have been written.

“It is the mark of either how much my husband loves me or how right I was to marry that man, but he was the only person who, when I told him my idea, said: ‘Yes, that sounds good’.”

“Fats Wall and Albus Dumbledore are two of my favourite characters to write about.”

“But it’s not like Hogwarts,” she insisted. “It’s not a great battle between good and evil. There’s no easy answers, no 
solutions, just so many shades
of grey.”
SOURCE

Old 11-03-2012, 04:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

JKR's thank you letter to Pottermore.

Quote:
“This is a shamefully overdue, but nevertheless huge – indeed, Hagrid-sized – THANK YOU to the Pottermore team for their extraordinary work,” Rowling wrote. “I know how much time and effort it took to get the site up and running, and the result is truly magnificent. I’ve had rave reviews from all sides; a friend of mine (Hufflepuff, maple and phoenix feather wand, tweleve inches, rigid) called me two nights ago to complain that she only won five house points so far. She’s forty four. Naturally, I told her to work harder.”
The letter goes on for another paragraph or two, but the photo begins to get blurry. “I’m hoping to say thank you in person before long,” reads one sentence. “Please accept my heartfelt gratitude,” says another. “A site that outstripped my wildest expectations,” is the last bit we can work out.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Star

JKR's thank you letter to Pottermore.

Quote:
“This is a shamefully overdue, but nevertheless huge – indeed, Hagrid-sized – THANK YOU to the Pottermore team for their extraordinary work,” Rowling wrote. “I know how much time and effort it took to get the site up and running, and the result is truly magnificent. I’ve had rave reviews from all sides; a friend of mine (Hufflepuff, maple and phoenix feather wand, tweleve inches, rigid) called me two nights ago to complain that she only won five house points so far. She’s forty four. Naturally, I told her to work harder.”
The letter goes on for another paragraph or two, but the photo begins to get blurry. “I’m hoping to say thank you in person before long,” reads one sentence. “Please accept my heartfelt gratitude,” says another. “A site that outstripped my wildest expectations,” is the last bit we can work out.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
The 18th edition of Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations just hit stores (and iPhones; check out their new app), and this version adds a slew of pop-culture quotes that haven’t appeared previously. New inclusions range from why-wasn’t-that-in-there-already? entries (Johnny Cash’s “I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die”) to head-scratchers (the title of The Empire Strikes Back, which doesn’t really seem like a quotation). Here are 10 quotes that are included in Bartlett‘s for the very first time.The 18th edition of Bartlett’s Familiar Quotations just hit stores (and iPhones; check out their new app), and this version adds a slew of pop-culture quotes that haven’t appeared previously. New inclusions range from why-wasn’t-that-in-there-already? entries (Johnny Cash’s “I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die”) to head-scratchers (the title of The Empire Strikes Back, which doesn’t really seem like a quotation). Here are 10 quotes that are included in Bartlett‘s for the very first time.

J.K. Rowling
“It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” (from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets)
Jon Stewart, J.K. Rowling among new entries in Bartlett's Familiar Quotations | Shelf Life | EW.com

Old 11-14-2012, 07:17 AM
Supreme Fan

Awesome! I always love it when the series is recognized in any way While reading the snippet, I was wondering which quote it would be.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top