Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Moderator Manager

Same here. I want to buy it for my cousins but they're more into the gore stuff.

Witness the magical sprouting of the Purple Acorns
As hopes turn into reality

Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 AM
Master Fan

I want to buy it for my little cousin too, but I'm not so sure he'd like it.

valentina
tumblr twitter
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Fan Forum Star

Its looks impressive. I was watching a review on tv about it and the experts said it was extremely fun. These were two grown men who spent HOURS with it. They said that it was so inventive that they can see other games eventually using the same interactive technology in the future.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
News of J. K. Rowling's new novel being published by Little, Brown topped the list of most-read literature stories of the year on the website Booktrade.

The site said the revelation that Rowling's first novel for adults was not to be published by Bloomsbury, despite the phenomenally successful Harry Potter novels all being published by the house, comfortably topped 2012's 100-strong most-read list.

Soon after, it was revealed that the novel would be entitled The Casual Vacancy. Set in Pagford, a seemingly idyllic West Country village reeling from the unexpected death of local councillor Barry Fairbrother, the novel became the fastest-selling hardback title of the year after more than 124,000 copies were bought during its first week on sale, although it received mixed reviews from critics.

News that Frank Cottrell Boyce won the 2012 Guardian Children's Fiction Prize for The Unforgotten Coat was the eighth most-read story.

The 'inventive and magical' novel, about two Mongolian refugee brothers living in Liverpool, scooped the GBP 1,500 award, with Cottrell-Boyce saying it was 'amazing' to win.

On the subject of prizes, the fifth most-read story was Terry Pratchett being named the winner of the 2012 Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for Comic Fiction for his Discworld novel Snuff, praised by the Independent for being 'as funny as Wodehouse and as witty as Waugh'.

Pratchett had never won the prize, despite being shortlisted three times: for Thief of Times in 2002, Going Postal in 2005 and Thud in 2006.

Another prize story to grab book-lovers' collective attention was Patrick Ness' A Monster Calls, which won both the prestigious Carnegie Medal and its sister award for illustration for the first time in the awards' history.

The top ten was dominated by news of literary awards, with another entry being the launch of the UK's first literary prize for ebooks and digital publishing. The announcement of the GBP 10,000 Kidwell-e Ebook Award to find Britain's best ebook was the ninth most-read story on the Booktrade website.
J. K Rowling's move to Little, Brown named most-read news story of 2012

Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 AM
Fan Forum Star

what?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Moderator Manager

Another great year end review of the best books released last year.

The cultural surprises of 2012: JK Rowling’s new novel, Salman Rushdie’s pompous memoir and hero Danny Boyle - Comment - Voices - The Independent

Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
JK Rowling has been listed at the 13th most powerful woman in the United Kingdom by a popular BBC Radio show. Her position puts her one placement before MP and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party Harriet Harman and eight places ahead of singer Adele. The list was topped by Her Majesty, The Queen.

The list is the first created by Women's Hour, a daily programme on BBC Radio 4, and aimed to recognise the "movers and shakers who shape the way we live today" and question "which women have the greatest impact on British politics, society, culture and the economy".

Not that is will be a surprise to any Potter fans but it is worth noting that JK Rowling has been listed as both an author AND a philanthropist and is acknowledged for setting up the Volant Charitable Trust and as President of the Gingerbread Charity for single parent families.
BBC Radio 4 - Woman's Hour - The Power List 2013

Quote:
J.K. Rowling has been rewarded for her excellence in philanthropy and charity work. J.K. Rowling's personal website posted that she received the Beacon Award for Targeted Philanthropy on February 6, 2013. jkrowling.com said:

On 6 February 2013 J.K. Rowling was awarded The Beacon Award for Targeted Philanthropy.

The Beacon Awards celebrate giving by individuals whose philanthropy has achieved an impact that needs to be more widely shared. Their aim is to provide inspiration to improve and strengthen the culture of individual giving in the UK, resulting in more effective philanthropy. By showcasing exceptional examples of philanthropy they hope to encourage others to give.
J.K. Rowling receives the 2013 Beacon Award for Philanthropy - The Leaky Cauldron

Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
One Direction

She does so much for charity, I love her for that.

©
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Moderator Manager

Credit

Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

http://www.inquisitr.com/531880/j-k-...british-woman/

Quote:
Among all British respondents, J.K. Rowling finished third with 39 percent of voters fining her inspiring, Look to the Stars found. The Queen and Ennis topped that list with 42 percent of the vote, while Kate Middleton finished seventh with 25 percent.

The Manchester vote was set up by Oxfam’s Get Together fundraiser, which is the largest celebration in the UK of International Women’s day, on March 8.

The fact that J.K. Rowling topped the list shows that respondents recognized the author’s achievement in creating a universe of wizards and sorcery.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/531880/j-k-...6oizSIChTo0.99
Old 02-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Hello.

One million children need your help. Please take action to ensure that no child in Europe has to grow up in an institution.

We want to make sure every child in Europe can grow up in a caring family environment. This is why the petition calls on the European Parliament, Council and Commission to ensure that European Union structural funds are used for the transition from institutional to family and community-based services.

Why is this important?
In the past, European Union funds have been used for renovating existing institutions, or building new ones. This prolongs the time children have to live this way. Institutions deny children individual love and care and can damage their brain development. We need to make sure these vital funds are instead used to develop family and community-based services for children.

Why now?
As you read this, a crucial process is taking place in Europe: the funding that the European Union will provide for health, education and social services for the next seven years is currently being negotiated. This is a key moment to put pressure on European decision-makers to ensure this money is spent on the services children need so they can be looked after in caring family environments. Please sign the petition today Get Involved | Lumos

How else can I help?
Please email your friends and family to tell them about the petition by sending them this link Get Involved | Lumos or share it on Facebook or Twitter. The more people who sign this petition, the more powerful our message to the European Union will be.

There are one million children missing from our communities, hidden away in institutions. Help us bring them home.

Thank you for your support.
Re-posting again for those who want to help: Get Involved | Lumos - JK Rowling is the founder of Lumos

Old 02-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Fan Forum Star

Love this^
Old 02-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Moderator Manager

Credit

Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

Jo at the Bath Literature Festival last night

J.K. Rowling: Harry Potter prequel about Marauders will not happen
Quote:

Harry Potter and The Casual Vacancy author J.K. Rowling spoke this evening at the Bath Literature Festival and made clear that if she ever returns to Harry Potter, she won’t write a prequel.

Rowling was asked about if she would return to the Harry Potter series like so many fans have hoped since 2007 to write about, as an example, the Marauders. She responded by saying that although she has no current plans to return to the series, if she did it would not be about the Marauders. The reason? She doesn’t find prequels to be any good. This would mean no stories about James, Lily, Sirius, Pettigrew, etc.

Elsewhere during the evening she said…
- Grindelwald never loved Dumbledore and used him.
- Her own first kiss came when she was 12 years old.
- Her next book will be aimed at 8-year-olds, but she’s still busy writing it.
- Her proudest moment was when she outed Dumbledore (as gay), and following the revelation in New York City a fan came up to her straight afterwords and revealed that he or she too is homosexual.

Hypable co-founder Richard Reid attended tonight’s event and reported back on the comments Rowling made. This is the author’s only planned public engagement in 2013.

The news of no Maurader prequels may come as a disappointment to fans who had hoped or thought that would be the perfect part of the Potter world to head into with a new book. Fans could also see her writing about Harry, Ron, and Hermione’s children – and luckily she hasn’t ruled that idea out (yet). Regardless, it’s nice to hear her still considering the idea of returning to the Wizarding World.
More notes from an audience member:
Quote:
- Her first kiss was age twelve, at a youth club, with a boy named Charles. She said it tasted like cheese and onion.
- Fats (Casual Vacancy) & Dumbledore are her two favourite characters out of her published novels.
-Despite the fact Dumbledore loved Grindewald, Grindewald did not return the affection - he was very much using him.
- She is currently working on a children’s book, and will reveal nothing about its content or when it will be complete - she did however say it is likely to be shorter than Casual Vacancy.
- She relates very much to Hermione, and wanted to make it so she was a plain girl, who was clever - and show that it was okay to do so.
- When announcing Dumbledore was gay at a talk much like this, at the end a boy told her it had given him the push to come out to his six friends. Jo had said Dumbledore was gay, and this boy had literally turned to his friends and said “So am I!” Jo said it was one of her proudest moments.
- Krystal from Casual Vacancy is the character that formed best in her mind, appearance wise - usually, it is personality alone that shapes her character.
- When asked if she missed writing Harry, she said that a few nights ago she had a dream where she was talking to Harry & Ron (who did not look like Dan and Rupert, but the characters as she imagined them) as herself, which is very rare.
- When asked if she would consider writing the Marauder’s Era with the Snape/Lily/James triangle, despite the screams of support from the fans, she said that it isn’t something she’d considered doing as persojally she isn’t a fan of prequels.
- However, she said that she is not saying ‘never’ to carrying on the HP universe - she is simply saying ‘right now.’ HP will never be over, for her or the fans.
- Casual Vacancy is going to be turned into a BBC television series. It is in very early days, they have just agreed it is definitely going ahead and plans for casting and such will slowly get underway.
- When asked for advice on how to write, she simply said “if you’re born to do it, you already will be.” It is not something that can be manifested out of thin air. You have it,or you don’t. She believes very much that there is no rhyme nor ritual to writing; in fiction, you enter a new world and writing does that for you. She did say that reading back on work and feeling it is awful, starting again and repeating several times is all part of learning and to help you grow as a writer.
- When writing Philosopher’s Stone, she would get to a point, read it over and think it was awful. She would put it away for months at a time, write something else and then eventually take it out again and continue to work. It’s a good job she did!
- Jo says she has been writing since she could hold a pen, & honestly wouldn’t know how to live without it.
- She has a reoccuring dream in which she decides she wants a normal lifestyle, and goes to an office job. Half way through, she hates it and spends the dream looking for a way to leave the job. She finds this ironic; spends her waking hours lost in the world of dragons and magic, but her dreams in a boring desk job.
- The moment she knew that Harry Potter was a phenomenan like no other and was never going anywhere was in 2000 at a launch, when part of it was getting on a train at Kings Cross Station and waving at fans. There was a sea of manic, screaming fans and she just knew this was like nothing else.
- She was asked her ‘starting point’ for Casual Vacancy, and if it was intended to make it as different as possible to HP. She simply replied that she told the story that wanted to be told; the only kind a book should be. Yes, she wanted to move to something new from HP but swearing & sexual references etc. weren’t included for that purpose; it was just part of the story she wanted to tell.
- Jo said no matter how much she adored HP, it feels so liberating now. She will never have to worry about bills, and now can write entirely new books with no deadlines, no guidelines. There is so much freedom, and Harry Potter has supplied her with a world she’d never expected; an ideal situation for her to write, while maintaining family life.
- She seemed to be a very down to earth, funny and…well, ordinary woman. Because the talk was 16+, we got a chance to see a side of Jo many interviews don’t show. Herself and the interviewer made many sexual jokes, mostly without meaning to. The interviewer would say something like ‘things were popping up’ and she replied, laughing ‘yes, they really were in this story.’
- When asked if it was hard to keep track of characters - there are 200+ mentioned in HP plus many more from backstories, and Casual Vacancy has many too - Jo said no, because the characters come alive to her and write themselves.
- However, Jo did admit that a fan pointed out the Charms classroom was in several different places over the books. She had of course made an error, but had responded to the fan with ‘it’s magic!’ However, she couldn’t have that excuse with CV so had to be more organized.
- She has deep, almost pointless back story on many characters from Casual Vacancy - Shirley, for example, could have her own novel.

Last edited by baileycat; 03-09-2013 at 05:40 AM
Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Time for a new thread I guess.
Fan Forum  |  Contact Us  |  Fan Forum on Twitter  |  Fan Forum on Facebook  |  Archive  |  Top