Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2021, 08:01 PM
Elite Fan

Oooo so much good discussion today!

I agree about season 1 being a little better. I thought I would like the one-off episodes when they first started doing them, but now I have no idea how they're going to wrap everything up well in the last 2 episodes.

Quote:
-The writers have made sure to put in Nancy/Ace interactions/hints in every episode this season.
--The writers made a conscious choice for Nancy to risk everything to save Ace in 2x13
-We DID NOT Imagine the jealously being portrayed in 2x13 - that was deliberate camera work/writing.
-Above all the writers have SHOWN us time and time again, that Ace cares about Nancy, and Nancy cares about Ace.
These are all excellent points! This was all really well handled. I hope they bring it back in the next few episodes. I don't know if we'll get a kiss, but I hope we get a little something

Quote:
Also, I really wish some people would knock of the comments about how not everything is about "Nace" and just enjoy the storyline as is. Everything definitely isn't about shipping, but if I don't like something, I'm going to say it. I'm not going to lie and kiss people's butts. That's just how I am and I'm not going to apologize for it.
This is soooo dumb! People should be allowed to express their feelings on the episodes.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

As for people complaining about so much nace in the tag. Make your own content or STFU.
Old 05-21-2021, 08:35 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall like stars (View Post)
Here's some things I keep thinking about after the last ep:

-Ace was removed from the Everett storyline
-Ace had ZERO interaction with Nancy in the ep. Not even a single mention. Zilch. Nothing.
-If that was your first ep, you would NEVER even know that Ace/Nancy even knew each other.
-This is the first ep since what 1x12.. with NO Ace/Nancy scenes or interaction whatsoever.

HOWEVER,

-The writers have made sure to put in Nancy/Ace interactions/hints in every episode this season.
--The writers made a conscious choice for Nancy to risk everything to save Ace in 2x13
-We DID NOT Imagine the jealously being portrayed in 2x13 - that was deliberate camera work/writing.
-Above all the writers have SHOWN us time and time again, that Ace cares about Nancy, and Nancy cares about Ace.

So.. WHY, all of a sudden, would the writers just drop Nancy/Ace? Yes, clearly nothing is going to happen between them this season, but for them to go from what we have seen building up between them to now NOTHING... that just seems a little strange. Yes, it could be bad writing, but IDK. I'm thinking it's on purpose. It's just so bizarre that they would just drop their entire dynamic I think there's a bit more in store for Nancy/Ace this season. IDK what yet, but it's coming. I think all our expectations have been exceptionally lowered but no way I can accept that they just dropped them all together. There HAS to l be some sort of 1 on 1 scene by the end of the season addressing everything. If I'm wrong, and this is just bad writing.... well that won't be the first time but these are my thoughts for now.
There's definitely more on the way for Nancy/Ace, idk what and/or how much, but something else has to come along and wrap their plotline for the season up somehow. This episode was horribly written when it came to them, but it's not the first time I've seen an episode near the end of a show's season where it looks like the ship is going nowhere, but then suddenly fixes itself. Whether or not that's the case here remains to be seen. I'm utterly confused and disappointed at how this has shaken out, but with two episodes left, there's no point in bowing out now. Hopefully they make a good impression, otherwise I have some thinking to do when it comes to next season.
Andrea ღ|Icon: mine
Old 05-22-2021, 08:33 AM
Moderator Support Team

People have no idea how hard it is to create gifs at the rate I do. It's very exhausting and often a thankless job because the fandom is so small. I make them because I love making them. So when people complain about how the tags are full of a particular type of content, it makes me so mad. There's nothing stopping you from making your OWN content. NOTHING.

Quote:
Hopefully they make a good impression, otherwise I have some thinking to do when it comes to next season.
Exactly how I feel! I do hope Tom Swift gets picked up though! Cause I would 100% watch it regardless how I feel about ND.

Quote:
This episode was horribly written when it came to them, but it's not the first time I've seen an episode near the end of a show's season where it looks like the ship is going nowhere, but then suddenly fixes itself.
This is very true, but I guess I just expected more from this show. They were so consistent and now it's like they just forgot everything they've written for the sake of the plot.

Quote:
but did we really think there would be
Honestly, yes. I did...but I thought they would be developed in a more obvious way than they actually were this season. I also thought there would be more relationship drama especially since they're both dating twins. It really was only like 2x09 and 2x13. And now it's all about the plot.

And while another scene with Ace voicing his concerns would be repetitive, they still could have had a line of dialogue where Ace mentioned Nancy or Nancy could have thought about calling Ace. Instead, they just removed their relationship from the plot entirely. That's bad writing.

Quote:
but I still believe we will get at least one of them realizing their feelings.
How would this even be executed in the time we have left though? I mean I GUESS there could be a slight time jump at the end of the finale...but IDK. They lost their momentum and I just don't think they have the time to really ramp it back up for this kind of reveal.

Quote:
They just need to heal Nancy a bit (or a lot) first, and that's going to take some time. As impatient as I am, I do believe they are approaching it the right way. Too many of my past ships have gotten together too soon
I 100% believe Nancy needs to be healed first. She definitely does! That's why I'm rooting for a time jump to try to get some distance from all this stuff. And I used to think they were approaching it correctly...but there's no guarantee they are even going in that direction. It's all just subtext and possible in our heads.

I agree about past ships getting together too soon and then just breaking up. That's the CW way though.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:29 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
How would this even be executed in the time we have left though? I mean I GUESS there could be a slight time jump at the end of the finale...but IDK. They lost their momentum and I just don't think they have the time to really ramp it back up for this kind of reveal.
I don't think there will be a "reveal"—at least not to each other. But let's just say something bad happens to Nancy, like she's either kidnapped or injured, I could see Ace having an "Oh, sh--" moment where he realizes he feels more for her than he thought. But nothing will be confessed or acted upon yet—that's what season 3 will be for.
Quote:
I thought they would be developed in a more obvious way than they actually were this season. I also thought there would be more relationship drama especially since they're both dating twins.
That's the problem with having romance in a show that's not just a primetime soap opera. It's never going to be the number one focus. So, when you get closer to the end of the season, and all this other important stuff having to do with the main plot has to occur, romance unfortunately takes a backseat. That's what's happening here. The Nace slow burn gets put to the side to allow time to wrap everything else up. The fact is they crammed WAY TOO MUCH into this season. They should have known better when they were finishing up all the scripts last fall, but maybe they do know what they're doing, and after we watch the final 2 episodes, everything will make sense to us. I'm sure literally everything, including the Bobbsey twins, is connected and can all be concluded at once. Or, I could be totally wrong.
Quote:
And I used to think they were approaching it correctly...but there's no guarantee they are even going in that direction. It's all just subtext and possible in our heads.
If 2x13 hadn't happened, I would still be thinking Nace was all in my head. But they went too hard in that episode (the jealousy from both of them, Amanda noticing a "vibe" and confronting Ace about it, Ace finally addressing his true feelings on Nancy being with Gil) for it all to be dropped, or for it to all have been in our imaginations. There is literally no other reason for all the Nace content in that episode to exist if they weren't going to be putting them together at some point. These writers don't feel like the type to tease the fans and not follow through just to be jerks. They know how popular Nace is. They know that's what most people want. They're just going to make us wait for it.

By the way, I'm sure it is incredibly hard and time consuming to make gifs, that's why I don't bother learning how to do it because I know I wouldn't be able to. But thank you for continuing to make them, because your gifs are so beautiful (the coloring)!
Old 05-22-2021, 05:36 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
I know another popular show I've never watched also teased an extremely popular ship that they made sure NEVER HAPPENED, but I truly believe the Nancy Drew writing team is not childish and petty like that. I think they view Nancy and Ace as true love, endgame material, and that's why they're going to take their time building their relationship.
Ooo I forgot to comment on Bellarke! I stopped watching The 100 like mid-season 2...but I always kept up with the fandom because I still shipped them. I read the first two books, but I know in the third one they end up engaged. It was really bizarre that they didn't just center the show around Bellamy/Clarke from the beginning. Also, they killed Wells off when he was a MAJOR character in the novels and had OC Finn instead? Nope. Anyway, the whole Bellarke thing never happened because Jason Rothenberg had a personal vendetta against Bob. I've never seen ANYTHING LIKE it before and I've experienced quite a few problematic showrunners. That dude REINVENTED petty! I'm so glad Bob and Eliza came out and said stuff about how it was originally supposed to go down...because it was RIDICULOUS. I hope JR NEVER works in TV again. Dude is a straight up baby!

Quote:
I don't think there will be a "reveal"—at least not to each other. But let's just say something bad happens to Nancy, like she's either kidnapped or injured, I could see Ace having an "Oh, sh--" moment where he realizes he feels more for her than he thought. But nothing will be confessed or acted upon yet—that's what season 3 will be for.
I probably should have picked a better word than "reveal"...I guess I just meant "acknowledged" to the audience via camera work (like in 2x13 sorta). I just don't think there's enough time for that (even if he's involved in these next two episodes). They lost their momentum by excluding their relationship from the storyline.

And who wants anything to feel rushed? But then again...this whole ending Hudson arc feels incredibly rushed. So who knows?

Quote:
but maybe they do know what they're doing, and after we watch the final 2 episodes, everything will make sense to us.
Don't give the writers that much credit now. They've done a crappy job this season with plotting. They'll probably pull something from their butts and be like..."SEE! IT ALL MAKES SENSE!" They had PLENTY of time to get the scripts right...but it's almost like when you have a big paper and you waited to the last minute and the last 3 pages is just total BS you pulled out of nowhere and you PRAY it makes sense.

Quote:
If 2x13 hadn't happened,
It probably shouldn't have happened though...because it was ultimately anti-climatic. They should have waited until they were ready to "pull the trigger" and who knows if they ever will be. They could tease the ship until kingdom come if they want. I just PERSONALLY won't be around to see it. I'll always love them though...but last year I LOVED the entire show with my heart and now it's just devolved into a hot mess. It's sad. I wasted so much time championing this show and now I wonder why I even bothered. I really thought this show was different, but it's ultimately the same as every other CW show.

Quote:
These writers don't feel like the type to tease the fans and not follow through just to be jerks. They know how popular Nace is.
Well.... And I don't think they really care what's popular and what's not popular. They'll do what they want. I can see them USING their popularity to manipulate the audience though (like leading them on). Because like what else is anyone even talking about? People want to cry about the tags being full of Nancy/Ace?? But that's literally the only ship that people make content for (with a little Nick/George on the side).

Quote:
But thank you for continuing to make them, because your gifs are so beautiful (the coloring)!
Awww thanks! I really appreciate it!
Old 05-22-2021, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Honestly, NO it is not in our heads. You do not have friends all up on each other like that. I do not care. There are directors there for a purpose. They put the subtext there when they could have easily cut it out. I guess while I've been down the fandom merry-go-round and yes, I have been burned. But, I also know a narrative structure when I see it. It may not be what I had hoped, but I can still see a moment that isn't about romance, but getting them on the same page again. Kind of like the "You go me, always":scene from All American.

I do not call me naive. But, that's just how I see it.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:46 PM
Elite Fan

I would be so mad if they teased Ace and Nancy so much and then it never happened. But many people have talked about it so much...I have faith.
Old 05-22-2021, 07:46 PM
Moderator Support Team

You mean this scene? Yeah it was very well done. Spencer/Olivia were always presented as a romantic ship from the beginning though. Plus, I think AA is a better written show in general, but that's a whole other discussion.

Quote:
You do not have friends all up on each other like that.
*snickers*

Quote:
There are directors there for a purpose.
Hopefully, they're not the same directors who worked on GoT.

ETA:

Quote:
I would be so mad if they teased Ace and Nancy so much and then it never happened. But many people have talked about it so much...I have faith.
I think it's important to be prepared for any possibility...but that's just me. #idonottrustanywriters
Old 05-22-2021, 07:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

^ Yes, that is the scene I meant. Trust me though even I doubted they would do anything with spence and liv till 2b and even then it wasn't explicitly romantic until s3. But, right now I do not think there is time for a big seen. But, more mending then rift between them and letting the actors chemistry do the work.

Yes, AA writers are much better. But, I guess when I saw how weird these stand alones were I had a bad feeling about this season. Things started to get random as early as 206. But, at this point all I expect is an I'll always be there seen...cue Alex's and Kennedy's stellar chemistry.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:03 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
But, more mending then rift between them and letting the actors chemistry do the work.
Is there really a rift between them? Because I'm not even sure anymore?? There really wasn't any follow up from 2x13's ending. I mean the 2x15 scene wasn't like that angsty or anything. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to believe.

Stand-alones wouldn't have even been a problem if there was a 22-episode season...because that would have given them more time to flesh out this Hudson plot. Instead, everything is being piled on during the of the season. Instead of having this "Dark!Nancy" storyline last for an entire arc, it's going to last like one episode. I really thought her identity crisis would be a bigger deal, but it's barely been a factor until the last couple of episodes.

I really, really hope they have a main overall storyline for Season 3. I understand what they were TRYING to do this season, but it ultimately fell flat because they just didn't have enough episodes for all this to make sense.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken crown (View Post)
Is there really a rift between them? Because I'm not even sure anymore?? There really wasn't any follow up from 2x13's ending. I mean the 2x15 scene wasn't like that angsty or anything. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to believe.

Stand-alones wouldn't have even been a problem if there was a 22-episode season...because that would have given them more time to flesh out this Hudson plot. Instead, everything is being piled on during the of the season. Instead of having this "Dark!Nancy" storyline last for an entire arc, it's going to last like one episode. I really thought her identity crisis would be a bigger deal, but it's barely been a factor until the last couple of episodes.

I really, really hope they have a main overall storyline for Season 3. I understand what they were TRYING to do this season, but it ultimately fell flat because they just didn't have enough episodes for all this to make sense.
They should. have cut the stand alones down imo. I get the idea but yeah the execution was bad. Who knows it could just be a nice scene to book end the season and just let them do that cute staring they do. Yes, my expectations have gone from they to they stare at each other.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:21 PM
Moderator Support Team

If they have them it would be way too rushed. I have no idea what I want to even happen anymore. I guess just some kind of talk about everything that's happened since 2x12. Maybe Ace actually thanking her? Maybe a look? IDK. They never paid off their talk in 1x18 either.

This show has developed a short-term memory regarding their own plots.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken crown (View Post)
If they have them it would be way too rushed. I have no idea what I want to even happen anymore. I guess just some kind of talk about everything that's happened since 2x12. Maybe Ace actually thanking her? Maybe a look? IDK. They never paid off their talk in 1x18 either.

This show has developed a short-term memory regarding their own plots.
i would love a talk but am expecting a stare.

What's that SNL skit....Lowered Expectations.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:24 PM
Elite Fan

Agreed about the standalones! I was really excited about them at first but they haven't really been executed very well. I hope they give season 3 a plotline more like season 1.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread