Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2018, 05:25 PM
Elite Fan

So if I’m getting this right. Vol 2 is a continuation, not a reboot?

I’m just trying to figure out where to start.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:46 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesdane (View Post)
Right. So much pointless stuff happens and it just has like ... no impact? Even the Amy thing was so pointless. Why give Nico a sibling she never had in the comics, kill that sibling off, and then just be like, "lol oh yeah that was Jonah who killed her". I mean ... what did it add? It didn't really add anything to the Minorus because we knew from the start that they guessed Amy's death was Pride-related.
The show has a lot of flaws in the writing.

I guess the whole thing with Amy was to show that Jonah is the bad guy, not Pride/the parents. Although they are supervillains in the comics so I'm still skeptical about them but right now, they all want their kids safe. Also, maybe for a possible showdown between Tina & Leslie in S2 (I'm hoping) because I can't see Jonah surviving for very long. And also a way for the Minorus to get back together after Robert cheated on Tina. Cause I thought both Robert & Janet will leave their other halves for each other.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I think the longer the show runs the more it's going to deviate with the comics. At least that's been my experience with shows that have been adapted from books or comics

It's kind of too early to say at this point whether or not the changes made to existing characters or the additional characters added to the story are pointless because the overall impact they will make on the show won't really be known until season 2 at the earliest.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:48 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

for those that read the comics - Do you like the comics better than the show?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:41 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
I think the longer the show runs the more it's going to deviate with the comics. At least that's been my experience with shows that have been adapted from books or comics

It's kind of too early to say at this point whether or not the changes made to existing characters or the additional characters added to the story are pointless because the overall impact they will make on the show won't really be known until season 2 at the earliest.
And I heard they already did change it up a lot from the comics. A lot of people were expecting them to run away by ep 4 or 5 but it looks like they took time to do some story with the kids & the parents before they ran away which I think they didn't do in the comics.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

oh wow that early? Since I didn't read the comics I wasn't expecting them to Runaway at all. I thought the show title came from the victims being called Runaways
Old 01-26-2018, 04:38 PM
Total Fan

Yeah, they ran away almost immediately and the parents were extremely underdeveloped.

The show and the comics both have their strengths and weaknesses. Overall I think I like the show slightly better, but I only read the first few trade paperbacks of Brian K. Vaughan's initial run.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:48 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylvan (View Post)
The show and the comics both have their strengths and weaknesses. Overall I think I like the show slightly better, but I only read the first few trade paperbacks of Brian K. Vaughan's initial run.
Are they doing his version of the comics? Or is his story the only version?

Old 01-27-2018, 03:37 AM
Total Fan

Vaughan created the series in 2003 and wrote the first 24 issues, then Joss Whedon continued it for a few, followed by other writers until it ended in 2009. Marvel revived the series this past September and it's currently written by Rainbow Rowell.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:18 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

thanks for the info Rylvan! I love Joss Whedon and now I am curious about he stories he did. Sounds like there is a lot of source material to work from.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Total Fan

No prob. A few of the characters also appeared in other comics even after Runaways was cancelled. The X-Men tried to recruit Molly a couple times, and she punched out Wolverine.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesdane (View Post)
what did it add? It didn't really add anything to the Minorus because we knew from the start that they guessed Amy's death was Pride-related.
I think the only thing it added was a way for the kids to "not be friends anymore" and for Alex to get them back. And to cause issues with Nico/Alex.

From what it seemed like at the beginning of the comics, they always just got together whenever their parents were together. They weren't like friends in the comics (seems to be a thing. Like PLL, too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan2009 (View Post)
So if I’m getting this right. Vol 2 is a continuation, not a reboot?
I believe it's all one continuation, just with different people writing them.

The show is based off the original 2003 run. And the creator is a producer on the show. So he's involved.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylvan (View Post)
Vaughan created the series in 2003 and wrote the first 24 issues, then Joss Whedon continued it for a few, followed by other writers until it ended in 2009. Marvel revived the series this past September and it's currently written by Rainbow Rowell.
Oh wow Joss, I didn't know he's involved in the comics. Thanks for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss of Death (View Post)
The show is based off the original 2003 run. And the creator is a producer on the show. So he's involved.
That's good that they have the creator involved in this.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Couples

Always helps to get the creator involved in the show. You get a little bit of what they're thinking when they created it and what they wanted. And WHY they did things certain ways to know what should and should not change.

granted, i have no idea how much he is truly involved with it
Old 01-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

If he's a producer I would think he had some say. Not as much as an executive producer but more than the average person involved with the show would have.