Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylvan (View Post)
One change I didn't like is how the show got rid of the parents' interesting supervillain archetypes. The Deans aren't aliens, the Minorus aren't dark wizards, the Yorkses aren't time travellers, and the Wilders aren't really crime lords. Instead, they're just rich people who got roped into a scheme, kinda boring in comparison.
This is exactly what I really miss in the change from the comics to the show. I felt like it gave the parents extra depth and intrigue ... and honestly, it was kind of more fun that way. Even if Jonah is essentially the Gibborim in the show, it still feels really weak to me. Also I hate that everything is basically just science and/or aliens. No mutants, no magic, no time travel ... it kills the uniqueness that Runaways had.

Regarding the new comic series though, I can't stress enough about how much I'm loving it. I totally doubted Rainbow Rowell going in, but she's absolutely nailing the characters with every issue. It feels like BKV's original run.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-18-2018, 01:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Heartstopper

It always sucks that a lot of Marvel properties are all over the place at different companies.
nick ♥ charlie
jordan ○ icon
Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I think the parents know that Jonah will kill off of their kids to get what he wants so now they are all in a panic trying to save them.

But I agree that they seemed to care more about them as the season went on.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:45 PM
Moderator Support Team

I don't like that they try to make the parents sympathetic. I think it ruins the impact of them being super-villains. In the comics they're seizing a bad opportunity to better themselves and while they do care about their kids (some of them, anyway), they're never portrayed as sympathetic. Whereas in the show they still do bad things, but the kids' hatred towards them feels unearned in some ways. In the comics the parents literally tried to seriously injure them/threaten to kill them, so you could feel the urgency in why the kids wanted to run away and fight them.

Also I hateeeee that Leslie killed the Hayes Hernandezes because the Deans and the Hayes had such an awesome back-stabbing team-up of "kill the humans" plotline going on in the comics.
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-19-2018, 01:02 AM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesdane (View Post)
Also I hateeeee that Leslie killed the Hayes Hernandezes because the Deans and the Hayes had such an awesome back-stabbing team-up of "kill the humans" plotline going on in the comics.
Maybe we can get some more flashbacks of this in S2? They haven't really fleshed out the Pride on the show yet which is my biggest gripe because I have so many questions about them.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 01-19-2018, 05:15 AM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Maybe we can get some more flashbacks of this in S2? They haven't really fleshed out the Pride on the show yet which is my biggest gripe because I have so many questions about them.
Yes! It feels like the show spent so much time on them, but like no time on actually telling us who the Pride were as people? We just saw their drama but I felt like I knew them better in the comics even with way less "screentime".
S T A R D U S T
Old 01-19-2018, 09:22 AM
Elite Fan

So the one from 2003 is the first one.

Found it on digital.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:51 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

We definitely need more background and flashbacks on the parents and how they became a part of PRIDE and why it was created.

I also want more on Jonah and his past as well.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:33 AM
Moderator Manager

I'm hearing vague specs about that newspaper thingy in the finale, about that L.A. earthquake and that it may possibly be a SL for S2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesdane (View Post)
Yes! It feels like the show spent so much time on them, but like no time on actually telling us who the Pride were as people? We just saw their drama but I felt like I knew them better in the comics even with way less "screentime".
Exactly. Like after S1, I still don't know much about the Pride? Not even what their endgame is or how they came to be. Lots of vague things but nothing really answered. So I hope S2 addresses some of those.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I hope they spend more time on the Pride next season. There are so many questions in regards to them. I also feel like we know practically nothing.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:45 AM
Moderator Manager

And they also need to flesh out some of the other characters. Like Leslie & Karolina (and her alien background). Though I can understand that with 10 eps, they don't really have room to tell all.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:09 PM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

I would like background on Leslie and Karolina as well as all the parents.

It might take more than one season for us to learn everything we want to know.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:14 AM
Moderator Manager

Thank goodness the show is renewed. Can you imagine the outrage if Hulu cancelled the show right away?

Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 AM
Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center

It would have been horrible!! Hulu was smart to almost immediately renew it for another season
Old 01-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thing Remains (View Post)
I hope they spend more time on the Pride next season. There are so many questions in regards to them. I also feel like we know practically nothing.
Actually I would prefer they spend LESS time on the Pride. So many episodes where the Pride dominated screentime. Less is more, just make their scenes actually have VALUE instead of being dumb soap drama. That's what I ask for.

Quote:
Like after S1, I still don't know much about the Pride? Not even what their endgame is or how they came to be. Lots of vague things but nothing really answered.
Right. So much pointless stuff happens and it just has like ... no impact? Even the Amy thing was so pointless. Why give Nico a sibling she never had in the comics, kill that sibling off, and then just be like, "lol oh yeah that was Jonah who killed her". I mean ... what did it add? It didn't really add anything to the Minorus because we knew from the start that they guessed Amy's death was Pride-related.
S T A R D U S T