Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 05:54 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>Ironically, came across on ESPN that the Yankees may empty out the remainder of their farm system en masse to acquire (yes, wait for it!) an All-Star caliber 2B to replace Soriano.

The name I saw floating around was Jose Vidro of the Expos...</STRONG>
vidro wouldn't be too bad since he is expierienced...i just wonder how much the boss is willing to spend. it might be a little to much.is it possible to trade boone and a few other people who aren't needed anymore for vidro?or convert boone to second base when he comes back. if they do convert him, our backup infielders wouldn't be to bad at second this year...but then flashbacks of the right field platoon come to mind and i say forget it.
[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

"Chariot…it’s somewhere to be just for a moment."

—Gavin DeGraw
YankeeChic21212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 06:27 PM
Total Fan

Right after the A-Rod signing, rumour had it that Maddux had also considered the Yankees...I've learned not to brush off a team that can acquire a half-dozen current or former All-Stars in one offseason (in no order, Rodriguez/Lofton/Sheffield/Vazquez/Brown, and a reliever I forgot (maybe Tom Gordon)).

It's either happened or is a lock to happen, but Aaron Boone will be terminated by the Yankees; his contract explicitly states that he cannot play basketball. Between dumping Boone and the huge boom in ticket sales after the trade, A-Rod has already paid off a huge difference between his salary and Soriano's.

Foolish Rangers; between paying A-Rod nearly $50m per season and sinking money into players like Chan Ho Park, they're looking at a 5 year turnaround...
Old 02-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Total Fan

Oh, those wacky Yankees.

Also...

Old 02-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Headhunter:
<STRONG>Ironically, came across on ESPN that the Yankees may empty out the remainder of their farm system en masse to acquire (yes, wait for it!) an All-Star caliber 2B to replace Soriano.

The name I saw floating around was Jose Vidro of the Expos...</STRONG>
I'll do you one better. It's not an actual "rumour," but there's a scenario out of the New York Daily News that has Nomar Garciaparra going to the Evil Empire to play second. That's right boys and girls, Nomar Garciaparra! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Quote:
If there is one thing the A-Rod deal has taught us, it's that nothing is impossible now around the Yankees when they go after somebody. They have no budget and no conscience. And, clearly, are always ready to think outside the box. A-Rod is not just the best player in baseball now, he is one of the best players of all time. When he shows up on Opening Day, he will be the greatest righthanded hitter the New York Yankees have had since Joe DiMaggio. If the Yankees can go after him and get him, what's to stop them for doing the same with Nomar?
You can read the entire article here.

If The Boss ever pulls this off, MLB might as well get rid of half the teams in the league and let the big boys battle it out.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Elite Fan

I'm sure it's a rumor to get people to hate the yanks even MORE, as if that's possible.

We were joking around in the Yankee thread how killer it would be to get Nomah to play second (as a joke, of course) but now that an actual rumor is going around, its just impossible to believe.
Old 02-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Elite Fan

After NY snaked ARod, there is no way in friggin hell, short of getting ARod straight up, will Boston let Nomar go to NY for frigging prospects.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by General Jiang Wei:
<STRONG>After NY snaked ARod, there is no way in friggin hell, short of getting ARod straight up, will Boston let Nomar go to NY for frigging prospects.</STRONG>
That was my first thought but really, Boston backstabbing one of their own wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Addicted Fan

The DAMN Yankees don't need another bat! Just check out the possible batting order they already have:

CF Kenny Lofton
SS Derek Jeter
3B Alex Rodriguez
1B Jason Giambi
RF Gary Sheffield
C Jorge Posada
CF Hideki Matsui
DH Bernie Williams
2B Enrique Wilson

They have eight quality hitters in their lineup. What more can you ask for? I wonder where Nomar would hit if the DAMN Yankees got him? Man, that'd be a great problem (too much talent) to have.

Here's something that New York doesn't have - prospects! Baseball America's Top 10 Prospects.

I just love all the good stuff I keep hearing about Jays' prospect Alexis Rios.

Quote:
Rios was in danger of not making the Jays’ 40-man roster last offseason, and now he’s their top prospect. He’s an example of the way the Jays used to do business, a high-risk high school pick, a hitter who doesn’t draw walks but who oozes tools. If the organization keeps him, it could have another Juan Gonzalez or Dave Winfield on its hands, a perennial all-star right fielder who could hit .300 with 35 homers, or win batting championships with 20-homer power. However, Rios isn’t quite a finished product and looks likely to begin 2004 at Triple-A Syracuse unless he has an overwhelming spring.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:53 PM
Total Fan

I could see Nomar signing with the Yankees as a free agent, much like Roger Clemens. The acrimony and conflict with management is certainly in place.

Interesting article. I do think the New York papers are stirring things up though... [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

Jays are looking stacked; between Alexis Rios and Jayson Werth in the outfield, Kevin Cash ready to play 2B and guys like Josh Phelps and Eric Hinske looking to rebound from disappointing 2003 campaigns, I'm psyched. Still waiting for some of the big prospects acquired by Ricciardi in deals like Mondesi-to-Yankees to come up.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Master Fan

According to ESPN, BALCO supplied Bonds, Giambi, and Sheffield with steroids. All I can say is-- BIG SURPRISE!!! Denial can only work for so long. Eyes don't alter reality. It's obvious these guys have been using something, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out it's 'roids.

Nomar to the NY Yankees? Hell no! What possible need could they have for him? I can't see that rumor coming to fruition, even if we're talking about the free-spending Yanks. They don't need another SS on their team, especially one who is overpaid for the below average defense and road BA he provides. I'd laugh if it happened, though. It would add more fuel to the fire for Boston fans. Think they hate Clemens? Nomar would be their newest target.

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaolin:
<STRONG>
Here's something that New York doesn't have - prospects! Baseball America's Top 10 Prospects.
</STRONG>
That's the *one* positive to take away from the Evil Empire's hording of superstars. They no longer have the top-flight prospects to entice clubs to trade away their big guns. I hope that bodes well for the future. Plus, let's not forget that the Yankees' recent titles were a direct by-product of the guys they developed through their farm system (Williams, Jeter, Soriano, Rivera, etc.). That's no longer happening.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Total Fan

Drugs? No way!!! [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Hmm, I think the Yankees farm system will recover fairly quickly, to be honest. With the major league team so stacked that a trade isn't necessary, those prospects won't be shipped off en masse for awhile. Brian Cashman is extremely good at what he does. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

At least the Jays have Ricciardi! Future's looking good especially with Werth, Rios, and Cash coming into their own.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:49 PM
Elite Fan

Oh come one, don't be foolish. We don't need prospects, we just need the other teams to have some so they can groom them and then hand them over to us.

We just need a couple of kids around for trade bait.

[img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 05:18 PM
Total Fan

Well, when you put it that way, I have only one reply; I love basketball. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Elite Fan

Hehe.. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] Great sport, I like it too.

No but really, I'm worried about our pitching prospects at least. Good pitchers do no fall from the sky and they are being well secured by their home teams.

And Jose Contreras thus far hasn't been "the answer".

Gosh.. Can't wait the season to start! See how it all plays out in the field.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:21 PM
Total Fan

Only the Yankees could afford to take a gamble like Jon Lieber; they can buy whatever they need, might as well ship off their picks if baseball ever allows draft pick trading...