Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 01:41 PM
T
Master Fan

Football (Soccer) Thread #104 - Because even footballers love hobbits

You were begging for it, Dan [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

And my comparison was perfect [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img].

(And they do actually. Granted I don't actually like that particular footballer, but that's beside the point [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

[ 03-01-2004: Message edited T ]
"Still, the underlying point held; experience as well as common sense indicated that the most reliable method of avoiding self-extinction was to not equip oneself with the means to accomplish it in the first place."
Old 03-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Elite Fan

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

*boycotts thread in protest*

[img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-01-2004, 02:15 PM
T
Master Fan

Like you could [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

And since I am already OT, might as well stay that way *G*. What kind of movies do you actually like then? I'm getting curious *g*
"Still, the underlying point held; experience as well as common sense indicated that the most reliable method of avoiding self-extinction was to not equip oneself with the means to accomplish it in the first place."
Old 03-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Extreme Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] T, your title is just hilarious!!! I love it!!
Im with you, Im sooo happy that TLOTR got the 11 Oscar!!!! [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img] I was praying for that [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] Cos its such an amazing trilogy(sp?) that they deserved it. At least, the academy made it right with the 3rd part TROTK.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:05 AM
T
Master Fan

Glad you approve, D [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. I'm quite the happy person too *G*. Right now grinning quite madly as I'm listening to Billy Boyd's singing from the TORN party *G*

Wow, just saw on Real's site: Ronaldo signed on until the 30 of June of 2008! I'd heard the talk of people wanting to for him to stay longer and him saying he wants to stay, but I certainly wasn't expecting this [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

[ 03-02-2004: Message edited T ]
Old 03-02-2004, 08:17 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by T:
<STRONG>Ronaldo signed on until the 30 of June of 2008! </STRONG>
Yeah! Very good news!! My brother told me about it half an hour ago when he received a text message in his mobile. I think he has one of those services that alert you when something new happens in football [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
So, now in 15 minutes, I'll watch it in the sports news in tv [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by T:
<STRONG>And since I am already OT, might as well stay that way *G*. What kind of movies do you actually like then? I'm getting curious *g*</STRONG>
You mean there's a topic to this thread? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img] I'm actually not a big movies-person - the last movie I saw in theathers was Bowling for Columbine, and the last one enjoyed prior to that may have been Dead Man Walking, so I'm far from a movie-buff. My problem with LotR isn't the movies themselves as much as the hype surrounding them and the annoyingly smug fans of the trilogy.

In football news, Forest is up 1-0 at the MK Dons with five minutes to go. If they hold on to that, Crewe will be just three points off relegation with a loss at Pride Park tomorrow.

*gulp*
Old 03-03-2004, 08:35 AM
T
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
<STRONG>You mean there's a topic to this thread? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
Err, I thought we had - it's hobbits, right? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Quote:
I'm actually not a big movies-person - the last movie I saw in theathers was Bowling for Columbine, and the last one enjoyed prior to that may have been Dead Man Walking, so I'm far from a movie-buff. My problem with LotR isn't the movies themselves as much as the hype surrounding them and the annoyingly smug fans of the trilogy.
That's the last one? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]. Ok, granted there hasn't exactly been a massive amount of great movies out, but still... in shock here.

Annoyingly smug fans? Really? Wow. One of the reasons why I like the fandom of LOTR, is that the people whose opinions and comments I've read have for the most part (read: as in something like 99% of the time) been as unassuming as the makers of the movies'. Mind you, I'm very well aware of the fact that the world is full of idiots and that considering the amount of people who've seen the movies, a fair number of them are not exactly the best examples of humanity. Perhaps I've just found the good people.

Still, I have to say that staying away from a movie because the press and some other idiots have made a fuss about it? Well, that's just a tad stupid imo - especially considering what you're missing .

Quote:
In football news, Forest is up 1-0 at the MK Dons with five minutes to go. If they hold on to that, Crewe will be just three points off relegation with a loss at Pride Park tomorrow.

*gulp*
Eep. Best of luck to your guys.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by T:
<STRONG>
Err, I thought we had - it's hobbits, right? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
</STRONG>
Sometimes it seems that way. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Quote:
That's the last one? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]. Ok, granted there hasn't exactly been a massive amount of great movies out, but still... in shock here.
Yeah, like I said I'm not a movies person - I'd much rather read a good book.

Quote:
Annoyingly smug fans? Really? Wow. One of the reasons why I like the fandom of LOTR, is that the people whose opinions and comments I've read have for the most part (read: as in something like 99% of the time) been as unassuming as the makers of the movies'. Mind you, I'm very well aware of the fact that the world is full of idiots and that considering the amount of people who've seen the movies, a fair number of them are not exactly the best examples of humanity. Perhaps I've just found the good people.
Maybe we should take this discussion elsewhere, but I think you don't see it because you're in the middle of it. Typical LotR fan mentality:
- We got 11 Oscar nods, but we're not happy since none of the actors got a nod. How can the Academy overlook such fine actors yaddayaddawhinewhine.
- You dare say anything bad about the books? You know they're the best books not called the Bible yaddayaddawhine.
- Etc, etc.

So, I think they're smug, annoying and not the least bit arrogant.

Quote:
Still, I have to say that staying away from a movie because the press and some other idiots have made a fuss about it? Well, that's just a tad stupid imo - especially considering what you're missing .
It's not stupid - no movie can live up to the hype, and I'll just end up disappointed - especially since I'm not a big fan of fantasy movies anyway.

Quote:
Eep. Best of luck to your guys.
Thanks. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Games start in 45 mins, so go Crewe and Rosenborg [img]smilies/glow.gif[/img] Oh, and Vålerenga ... try not to humiliate yourselves and Norwegian football too much. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 03-03-2004, 02:45 PM
T
Master Fan

Prefer a book? That is very, very nice to hear [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. Definitely enough for me to let you off the hook on that one [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

Quote:
Maybe we should take this discussion elsewhere..
Or we can stop it here, really [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. I've just had a very different experience from the fandom - of course somewhat affected by the fact that I'm a fan myself, but still. It's just that though there are people like that - more than I guessed apparently - there are plenty of good people in the fandom too.

Quote:
It's not stupid - no movie can live up to the hype, and I'll just end up disappointed - especially since I'm not a big fan of fantasy movies anyway.
Only if you buy into the hype. I understand what you mean though. I guess I've programmed my brain to downplay the hype from when I've was 12 or something already.. or I've just gotten used to dissappointmets *G*. With LOTR? I knew I was happy enough that they tried to make it. That there were going to be at least some moments that I'd enjoy. I guess I'm just easy to please. I can overlook a lot in movies if there's some good to balance it.

Noticed Rosenborg is leading 2-1 and Vålerenga is at 1-1 so not all bad [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. How is Crewe doing?
Old 03-03-2004, 03:39 PM
Elite Fan

Rosenborg beat Benfica 2-1, but lost on away goals. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] 3-1 to Newcastle with the third in stoppage time, so Vålerenga didn't embarrass themselves. Crewe edged out a nervy 0-0 draw (at least for me) at Derby - we're inching every closer to 50 points, and, more importantly, we're still six points ahead of Derby.

ETA - A good night all-round for Crewe as the youth team beat Swindon 3-0 to reach the semi finals of the Youth Cup. Updated table:

Code:
15 Crewe  33 -4 41 
16 Rotherham Utd  33 -6 41 
17 Watford  33 -5 40 
18 Burnley  34 -9 39 
19 Nottm Forest  34 -2 38 
20 Walsall  34 -11 37 
21 Gillingham  32 -12 37 
22 Derby County  34 -19 35
[ 03-03-2004: Message edited Avatar ]
Old 03-04-2004, 06:28 AM
Master Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]

thanks for the newie T [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img]

I haven't seen ANY football since Sunday. Not a happy person right now. [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img]

Buffy: "So you're going to be with me in this?"
Angel: "Shoulder to shoulder. I'm yours."
~ Chosen
Old 03-04-2004, 07:11 AM
T
Master Fan

Aww, sad to hear the Norwegian teams didn't make it farther. But yeah, at least they didn't embarrass themselves. Unlike the Finns.. Okay, maybe the scorelines weren't all that bad, but the fact that they didn't even make it to the competition. Ouch. That's all.

Good to hear Crewe had a good evening [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

(Also sorry about going on about LOTR there again [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]. I'd just visited a friend a bit before and two hours of debating about LOTR and its merits and actually more importantly about journalists and about how important it is that they get their writings right... well, I may have been just a bit stuck in the debating mood. Sowwy [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img].)
Old 03-04-2004, 07:15 AM
T
Master Fan

No problem Nikz [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
Originally posted by nikz:
<STRONG>I haven't seen ANY football since Sunday. Not a happy person right now. [img]smilies/pout.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Aww [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]. None of the UEFA cup matches were on here either. Eurosport had some summaries, but they didn't show Auxerre so I didn't bother (they were on at some odd times)..

That reminds me: I rdidn't mention it earlier *slaps self*, but Auxerre did get through [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. I was quite worried since they drew 0-0 at home and Panathinaikos isn't the easiest opponent in their own stadium. But Auxerre managed a 1-0 win [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

ps: The Real - Bayern? It will be on the telly here [img]smilies/hotpinkie.gif[/img].
Old 03-04-2004, 07:54 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Avatar:
<STRONG>...- We got 11 Oscar nods, but we're not happy since none of the actors got a nod. How can the Academy overlook such fine actors yaddayaddawhinewhine... </STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] Hi people!!!!

Already I found a new job, maybe now I'll have more time to come here. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Congrats to Pool for yesterday's win [img]smilies/clap.gif[/img] I guess Sami timed his goal "wrongly", we needed it on Sunday much more [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]. Anyway, they won, and as I know Marseille will be the new opponent in the UEFA [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]