Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

cool, thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

You're welcome! It's really neat, telling you the tale or legend an episode is based on.

New! Benedict Cumberbatch Forum

~Sherry | avi by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Matt Czuchry

I am looking forward to any new tales they are focusing on in this new season!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Me, too! I'd love for this thread to get a lot of posts, it would be so interesting!

Baron Samedi is an actual legendary character connected to voodoo - iirc, in Haitian lore - but we discussed him pretty extensively in the old threads last season.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 AM
Passionate Fan

I didn't know that about the Baron. Could you direct me to the place he was discussed?

I really liked him but I'm glad he is dead since he was such a nasty guy. He'd just up and "hock a luggie" at you whenever he chose.

I just went and got his info for myself and anyone else who doesn't remember.
Quote:
He is usually depicted with a top hat, black tuxedo (dinner jacket), dark glasses, and cotton plugs in the nostrils, as if to resemble a corpse dressed and prepared for burial in the Haitian style. He has a white, frequently skull-like face (or actually has a skull for a face) and speaks in a nasal voice.

He is noted for disruption, obscenity, debauchery, and having a particular fondness for tobacco and rum. Additionally, he is the Loa of resurrection, and in the latter capacity he is often called upon for healing by those near or approaching death, as it is only Baron who can accept an individual into the realm of the dead.[1][2]

Baron Samedi spends most of his time in the invisible realm of voodoo spirits. He is notorious for his outrageous behavior, swearing continuously and making filthy jokes to the other spirits. He is married to another powerful spirit known as Maman Brigitte, but often chases after mortal women. He loves smoking and drinking and is rarely seen without a cigar in his mouth or a glass of rum in his bony fingers. Baron Samedi can usually be found at the crossroad between the worlds of the living and the dead. When someone dies, he digs their grave and greets their soul after they have been buried, leading them to the underworld.
Apparently he was also a character in James Bond, "Live and Let Die"
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 AM
Fan Forum Star

That's right, Patty.

It's pretty funny, too, that the Baron is the logo for Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland!

Reg E. Cathey was perfect as the Baron.

Do you think he's really dead? I doubt it. If he can make other people appear to be dead, he can probably do it to himself, too.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:38 AM
Passionate Fan

Hmm, interesting idea that the Baron could be back.

*puts bag over head*
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

He's too delicious a villain to let him die so easily. I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up again in some future season, if not this one.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutesse (View Post)
Reg E. Cathey was perfect as the Baron.
He played a villain cop on Person of Interest in the first season of that series and he was great! I don't know if any of you saw that episode.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

I've never seen that show, but he surely is a terrific actor. His laugh is maniacal!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Fan Forum Star

I'm hopeful that the next episode will give us something to talk about in this thread!
"A Dish Best Served Cold" has to be about Revenge!

Old 11-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Episode 3x04, "One Night Stand"
Wesen type: Naiad

I thought some of you may enjoy reading this brief Wikipedia article on Naiads -

Naiad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Matt Czuchry

Thanks for that Sherry I liked how short that article was, I know some of those descriptions can get rather lengthy

It is a shame that there aren't more people in here discussing with you, I admit as much as I love the show I rarely have the time to look up much information about the creature's themselves. I just take it one episode at a time.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

That's ok, Carmen. I'm well aware that not everyone has as much time as I do. I'll probably just post a similar article on each week's Wesen and people can discuss or not, depending on general interest.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Here's a good article about "El Cucuy" - the star of tonight's episode --

Monster of the Week: El Cucuy

Quote:

As with many legends, El Cucuy has many different shapes and forms. The monster originated in Portugal and Galacia, where it was known as a Coco and appeared as a ghost with a pumpkin head. In Brazilian folklore, this creature is known as Cuca and appeared like a female human-alligator hybrid.

There is also El Cuco or El Coco, a variation used widely in Spain and Latin American to discipline children who disobey their parents. Indeed, Spanish romantic painter Francisco Jose de Goya painted “Que Viene el Coco” (“Here Comes the Coco”) in 1799, which portrays the creature as a shadowed humanoid:

In Mexico and the Southwestern United States, this monster is often referred to as El Cucuy, although El Cuco and El Chamuko (“the devil”) are also used.

As far as physical appearance, El Cucuy is much like the bogeyman. El Cucuy is an amorphous being, one able to shapeshift into various common animals or become a horrible, hairy monstrosity or even an unexplained shadow on a wall. It also can become very thin or small so that it can hide under beds, in closets, or even behind curtains. Some legends say that he has glowing, fiery red eyes and is about the size of a fairy or imp.

According to the legend, El Cucuy is considered the opposite of a Guardian Angel. It is attracted to the defiance and disobedience of children. The naughtier the child behaves, the hungrier El Cucuy becomes, until at last it devours the child.The child then goes to a place of no return.

The idea behind El Cucuy is to temper a child’s behavior, much like Santa Claus checking his list, although the former legend uses fear to achieve its goal. In Mexico, child abductors (roba-chicos) are a big problem, as these horrible human beings abduct children off the street and sell them to interested parties. This fear is compounded when a child misbehaves and wanders off, becoming a potential victim. El Cucuy is then used to persuade children not to wander off, as a monster is certainly scarier than a man, at least in a child’s mind.

El Cucuy has a lot in common with other similar legends, like that of the bogeyman and the Sack Man, both of which enjoy abducting or devouring misbehaving children.

Closed Thread   Post New Thread