Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ediedoyle (View Post)
I never thought about the Gatsby angle before. Do you think Tony would take a fall for Mary, the way Gatsby took the blame when Daisy hit someone with her car? Not that Downton would come to a plot point like that (I don't think, lol) but just out of speculation on Tony's character. I wonder if his adoration for Mary is unconditional.
Fall for what? Personally, I think he's very taken with her even if it means he has to wait forever. I'm thinking nothing too drastic to take the fall but he'll do anything for her.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
Fall for what? Personally, I think he's very taken with her even if it means he has to wait forever. I'm thinking nothing too drastic to take the fall but he'll do anything for her.
Oh she totally has him wrapped around her finger, and she knows it LOL. I was rewatching the season finale and it's just so funny how she gets him to sack Green, no explanations ( I mean, which is good, great, really, and I'm glad he asks no questions ), but it's just funny how much of a puppy he is. I did like their banter, I thought the chemistry was much better in the luncheon scene than their first and second episodes.

..though really I think the reason why I paid more attention is because of Tom Cullen

"And you think I should choose life?"
Evelyn = In Hebrew the meaning of the name Evelyn is: Life.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I was thinking beyond the script/storyline, running some weird what-ifs in my head. Sorry for confusing. It was a jumbled train of thought. But I'm interested that you guys think he would actually hang on forever, a la gatsby, even if its on a mere idea of love rather than real love.

On a side note do we know if he fired Green before the "accident"?
Old 11-23-2013, 11:37 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I was thinking beyond the script/storyline, running some weird what-ifs in my head. Sorry for confusing. It was a jumbled train of thought. But I'm interested that you guys think he would actually hang on forever, a la gatsby, even if its on a mere idea of love rather than real love.

I don't know if he'd hang in there forever necessarily. I know he said. "Quite possibly not even" after she married another guy, but I think he was kidding and you know Mary would have none of that.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:29 PM
Loyal Fan

I like Anthony Gillingham best from her three suitors. I'm not really a "shipper" since I don't really care whom Mary choses, but I think Gillingham is handsome and romantic and just very nice.

And I must admit I really love Tom Cullen on twitter. He's such a nice man!
Old 11-23-2013, 12:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andorra (View Post)
I like Anthony Gillingham best from her three suitors. I'm not really a "shipper" since I don't really care whom Mary choses, but I think Gillingham is handsome and romantic and just very nice.

And I must admit I really love Tom Cullen on twitter. He's such a nice man!
He's very nice!

Old 11-25-2013, 11:38 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
I think he was supposed to but he died so he was saved from giving him that bad news. It's kind of odd just firing your valet for a reason you really don't know (he followed suit because he trusted Mary's judgment).

Old 12-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Part-Time Fan

Bumping this thread up. We need some love in here for the delicious Lord G!
Even if I don't think Mary will choose Tony, I appreciate every second Tom Cullen shows up on my screen.

So does anyone have comments on the new spoiler photos?
Spoiler:
Old 12-05-2013, 03:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Even if I don't think Mary will choose Tony, I appreciate every second Tom Cullen shows up on my screen.
Hear, hear! I said this on another thread, but, seriously, Tom Cullen could have chemistry with a pineapple. If only his beard could be on DA, too.
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

#TeamPerseus
Old 12-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

I do think Tony's a nice guy, but an idealist.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:02 AM
Elite Fan

Since I promised myself I won't read spoilers there's nothing much I could add to this discussion ATM
Old 12-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Michelle Dockery with Tom Cullen (Dinner scenes BTS - Downton Abbey Season 4 DVD Extras)

x

Old 12-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Part-Time Fan

I agree Lindsay, it will reach a breaking point.
Love those gifs though -- nice to see Tom got along so well with Michelle bts!

Backtracking a little so we can get away from spoiler discussion -- does anyone think Tony's marriage proposal was a misstep in the writing? He is an ultra romantic character, and I do believe he speaks sincerely of his feelings for Mary, but the "he's dead and I'm alive" line was so strange and jarring to me. Imo it was more like something Sir Richard might say.

I can't understand why JF would include a line like that unless he was purposely trying to make Tony seem hard hearted. So far he hasn't been. Selfish, maybe, but not cruel. And yet those words seemed very cruel to me considering how deeply Mary was grieving her loss.

Thoughts?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for not discussing the spoliers bits

As for the proposal- I don't think it was a misstep but I do think it was just a very rushed decision taken by Lord G. esp since he was about to get engaged to another women while he proposed to Mary and also I think he had to sense that it is too early for Mary to move on and marry again so soon.

Even later on in the season when Mary slowly started to regain her composure and seemed to enjoy the company of her suitors I don't think it was a smart move from Lord G. to still be around Mary and trying to get her attention after he's been engaged. I can understand why Mary felt somewhat uncomfortable about the whole thing.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose (View Post)
I think he had to sense that it is too early for Mary to move on and marry again so soon.
Absolutely.
I was just shocked about the "he's dead and I'm alive". If I were Mary I might have slapped him in that moment. It made me angry to hear it. I mean, Tom Cullen clearly tried to deliver the line gently, but it was still an awful and almost out-of-character thing for Tony to say if he really wanted her to accept the proposal.

I guess that will be his undoing in the end. The tragic flaw.
A shame, because if he had just been patient... Maybe that's why he kept coming back; he knew he messed up big time and wanted to start over. Or something. Not a very good strategy, milord.

Oh Tony. As Mary put it, irritating and beguiling in equal measure.