Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2014, 11:53 AM
Loyal Fan

For a change of pace, let’s play a game I call “Let your memory shine, remember the line!”

Here’s how it works…a snippet (clip) from a Mary/Tony scene will be displayed. All you have to do is remember what was said before the snippet (or after the snippet depending on the question). That’s all there is to it. To make it easy, it will be multiple choice so the correct answer will be there right in front of you at some point. It’s an easy way to show off that great memory of yours!

Here we go…

Set the scene: From S4 UK Ep3/US Ep2 (The house party episode)

Mary and Tony are conversing during dinner when they have this exchange:

What did Mary say before that exchange?

Choice A:
Spoiler:

That seems a very plausible answer but you should view the other choices before deciding for sure.

Choice B:
Spoiler:

I don’t know about that one but maybe…

Choice C:
Spoiler:

Does that answer even make any sense? Moving on...

Choice D:
Spoiler:

That one seems very, very plausible to me!

There are your choices. I don’t know, this may be a tougher question than I originally thought.

Are you ready? The correct answer is…

Spoiler:

Did you get it right? If so, way to go! If not, better luck next time (if there is a next time).

Thanks for playing “Let your memory shine, remember the line.”

(This post just proves that I am in desperate need of S5 to start!)

Old 08-24-2014, 09:33 PM
Moderator Manager

I will fail this, I know it!

Without looking at the answer, I think it's C. Also, good choices btw. I laughed at them, very creative & well done.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by L i N d $ @ y (View Post)
I will fail this, I know it!

Without looking at the answer, I think it's C. Also, good choices btw. I laughed at them, very creative & well done.
You got it right Lindsay! That's the way to "Let your memory shine"!

C was the correct answer but D was definitely my favorite!

Old 08-26-2014, 09:00 PM
Moderator Manager

Haha, D was naughty but yes it was hilarious! Good one though.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Loyal Fan

BREAKING NEWS...Please keep reading for a very important update to a previous post!

A while back I posted about a scene in the house party episode where Tony and Mary are getting reacquainted as they're walking up the stairs at Downton. This is part of that post:

Quote:
The scene ends with them going their separate ways in opposite directions. As she turns the corner, Mary glances back in Tony’s direction. He’s gotten her attention. NEVER EVER underestimate the significance of the glance. Something has already started….

X

Sorry no gif of Mary's glance back at Tony (never ever underestimate...)
Well, now there is a gif of Mary glancing back at Tony. Here are the last bits of that scene...

X

Like I wrote back then...NEVER EVER underestimate the significance of the glance!

(I admit I probably oversold this with the "Breaking News" and a "very important update" but I was very excited to see this gif. I now return you to your normally scheduled programming! )

Old 08-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren60 (View Post)
(I admit I probably oversold this with the "Breaking News" and a "very important update" but I was very excited to see this gif. I now return you to your normally scheduled programming! )
Haha! I have to admit, I'm impressed that you are able to find gifs of all these Tony/Mary moments. Along with your very detailed description of their moments. We're also nearing a new thread. I think it's best if you start it.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Haha! I have to admit, I'm impressed that you are able to find gifs of all these Tony/Mary moments. Along with your very detailed description of their moments. We're also nearing a new thread. I think it's best if you start it.
You think it's best if I start the new thread? Why me? Well, I guess I can do it when it's time. I just hope I can muster some enthusiasm for these two in the meantime so I'll be motivated to do a decent job on the new thread's OP.

(Of course I'll be happy to do it!! )

Old 08-30-2014, 11:39 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
(Of course I'll be happy to do it!! )

This was the only thing that I read.

Old 09-01-2014, 03:54 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
This was the only thing that I read.
I've heard of selective hearing but never selective reading!

This makes me wonder if you always apply selective reading to my posts. On second thought, I don't think I want to know! Moving on...

I'm happy that it's almost time for a new Mary/Tony thread. It's taken a long time to get here! I hope the new season brings many more posters for Mary/Tony and of course to the whole DA board. Less than three weeks to go before the new season!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Moderator Manager

Quote:
This makes me wonder if you always apply selective reading to my posts. On second thought, I don't think I want to know! Moving on...
You'll never find out!

Quote:
I'm happy that it's almost time for a new Mary/Tony thread. It's taken a long time to get here! I hope the new season brings many more posters for Mary/Tony and of course to the whole DA board. Less than three weeks to go before the new season!

I hope so too! 2+ weeks to go.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Loyal Fan

A couple of months ago I posted my favorite S4 scenes (all thirteen of them) on the S4 Discussion thread. Two Mary/Tony scenes made my favorites list. Since we're nearing the end of this thread and S5 is just around the corner, I thought it would be nice to put a bow on things by posting my favorite Mary/Tony scenes here too.

Here's the first Mary/Tony scene that made my list (it came in at number 3 overall):

Quote:
3) Mary gives Tony her answer (UK Ep4/US Ep3)

The Scene:
Mary and Tony are taking a walk on the Downton grounds. He will be heading back to London soon but not before he gets Mary’s answer. He asks Mary if she’s ready. She asks what happens if she refuses. Tony replies they both know he must marry. He doesn’t need to explain to her how the system they’re trapped in works. Mary asks him not to rush into anything. He says he won’t make a fool of Mabel, it wouldn’t be fair. He’d break up with her for Mary and he thinks Mabel would understand. If Mary doesn’t want him, he thinks he’s honor bound to go through with it. Mary nods slightly and takes a few moments searching for her answer. She struggles to hold back tears as she lets Tony know her decision.

Mary: “It’s no good Tony. I can’t. I’m not free of him. Yesterday you said I fill your brain. Well, Matthew fills mine, still, and I don’t want to be without him, not yet.”

Tony looks away for a moment to gather himself. He turns back to look at Mary.

Tony: “Can I ask one favor? And then I really will go and leave you in peace.”
Mary: “What is it?”
Tony: “Will you kiss me? Please. I will never love again as I love you in this moment and I must have something to remember.”

Mary doesn’t say anything but takes a small step towards him. They kiss. It’s tentative at first but grows more passionate as they hold each other closer. They linger close for a bit after the kiss ends.

Tony: “Goodbye Mary, my darling Mary. My prayers go with you for everything that you do.”

Mary watches as Tony turns and walks away.

Why I loved it:
My Mary/Tony ship officially set sail after I saw this scene! Up until then I liked Tony well enough. I thought he was sweet and very handsome and I liked how he and Mary got along so well. He made her smile from the first moment so he already had that going for him. This scene took me from “I think he’s very nice” to “God I love this guy!” He was so unbelievably sweet in this scene. He was very gentle with Mary and accepted her refusal gracefully. He really got to me when he said his prayers go with her. And Mary in this scene! It was very touching when she said Matthew still fills her brain and she doesn’t want to be without him. And the surprises this scene provided! I was surprised at how torn Mary seemed to be over her decision. Wasn’t this all too soon for her to even consider it? For a second there I thought she was going to say yes. Then she kisses him! It wasn’t just a conciliatory kiss either, it was quite passionate. The moment Tony walked away I was hoping he would be back. He really captured my heart in this scene. I look back on this scene fondly. It launched my Mary/Tony ship and I’ve really been enjoying the voyage ever since! Loved it, loved it, loved it!!

Mary's Answer:

X

The Kiss:

X
I guess you just can't get away from reruns this time of year!

The S4 Discussion thread is here.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for posting that here. It's still very difficult for me to get through watching that scene and believe it or not I haven't re-watched that ep since it aired in the UK.

Which reminds me, I have to put up the S5E1 discussion thread plus the general S5 thread soon.

We need to kill this thread already!

Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Here's the second Mary/Tony scene that made my S4 favorites list (it came in at number 1 overall):

Quote:
1) Mary asks Tony for a favor during their London luncheon (UK Ep8/US Ep7)

The Scene:
Mary and Tony are dining in a restaurant. Tony tells Mary he’ll sack Green if she insists but she should tell him why, it’s only fair. Mary says she can’t but that Green has done something he’d find abhorrent. Tony sighs and tells Mary that she’s won but it does seem mean even if he doesn’t like Green very much.

Mary: “You wouldn’t think it mean if you knew the truth.”
Tony: “Well, I believe you. I love you and I believe you.”
Mary: “Have you spoken to Mabel?”
Tony: “I have but I wasn’t going to bring it up.”
Mary: “Why not?”
Tony: “I don’t want to twist your arm and I know that you won’t make a decision until it suits you.”

Mary asks him how Mabel took it and he says the answer is with real style. Mary says she’s glad and asks Tony to get the bill. She’s terribly late and she must catch the last train. It’s the church bazaar tomorrow.

Tony: “I won’t give up Mary. Not until you walk down the aisle with another man and, uh, very possibly not even then.”
Mary: “I find that both irritating and beguiling in equal measure.”
Tony: “Should I take comfort from that?”
Mary: “Take what you like. I’m going.”

Tony goes over and helps Mary with her chair as she gets up to leave. She tells him to do what she’s asked with Green and to please let her know when he’s done it. She touches Tony’s hand as she walks by him to leave.

Why I loved it:
Mary and Tony were the highlight of S4 for me and this is by far my favorite Mary/Tony scene. It is just a gorgeous scene. The location is gorgeous. Mary is gorgeous. Tony is gorgeous. They are feisty and flirty and their attraction to each other is unmistakable. It was nice to see Tony challenge Mary about why he should fire Green. He’s usually quite the puppy where she’s concerned so it was nice to see him show some feistiness. In the end he agrees to sack Green because he believes Mary. Tony is so unbelievably cute when he says “I love you and I believe you.” I love that smile! Mary doesn’t comment directly on his declaration of love but instead asks him if he’s spoken to Mabel. By asking him that, Mary reveals her true interest in Tony’s situation. She wants to know if he’s free of his commitment to Mabel. Tony says he wasn’t going to bring the subject up because he doesn’t want to twist her arm. It appears he’s decided to back off some and give Mary the time and space she needs. He’s now free to wait for her. The scene turns totally flirty as Tony says he won’t give up and teasingly says very possibly not even after she walks down the aisle with another man. The way they smile at each other is pure magic and their chemistry is off the charts. The icing on the cake is when Mary touches Tony’s hand as she’s leaving. They'd been flirting, he said he loves her, he called off his engagement, he's doing her this favor without knowing exactly why….she's so attracted to him that she just had to touch him. There’s so much to love about this scene with my favorite couple looking gorgeous, flirting and growing closer. Loved it, loved it, loved it, loved it!

Tony is so unbelievably cute here...

Loved the flirting...

X

Mary just couldn't resist...

X
The season 4 discussion thread is here.

Oh so close to a new thread!

Old 09-11-2014, 10:29 PM
Moderator Manager

Thanks for bringing that over here. It's time to open a new thread. I'll keep this open until the new one is up. Just post a link to the new thread here.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:51 PM
Loyal Fan

I started the Mary and Tony thread!

A new thread.....I'm quite excited.....

You can get to the new thread by clicking your heels together three times and saying "There's no show like Downton, there's no show like Downton" or just by clicking here.